General Proximity sensor realy sux!!!

Search This thread

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
The proximity sensor on these devices are ultrasonic rather than infrared. They either use this method to save space or because of issues of "seeing" through the screen, although there are infrared proximity sensors that work behind the display.

They work by emitting a high frequency sound (too high for us to hear) from the earpiece and then listening for that sound in the microphone, and by working out how loud the sound is and what delay there is they can work out if the phone is up against our head, but they are not as accurate or reliable as infrared sensors.

The proximity sensor is only activated when the phone is in a vertical position as it would be being held to the ear. If it isn't very reliable it might be worth calibrating the compass as this may help the device knowing which way up it is.

It works okay on my device.

Hope that helps.

oouline24hr

Dec 16, 2021
It doesn't have a hardware proximity sensor, Xiaomi use ai to make virtual sensor. I don't know how it work but it really sick.

Reactions: kozmikdeli

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
Imo is so simple to use a front camera as hardware sensor...
They can't use the camera as a hardware sensor as it uses a lot of power, not necessarily the sensor itself, but the imaging system on the SoC needs to be powered up, and it is a lot of data being processed just to try and use it as a proximity sensor.

True proximity sensors use a pulsing infrared LED and an infrared sensor, and the infrared bouncing back from something in close proximity can be detected, and this is very reliable.

Because the screen only has a small hole for the camera with narrow bezels, the proximity sensor has to be placed behind the OLED display, and Xiaomi for some reason has not gone down this route on this device. It is possible to have a normal proximity sensor behind the screen and for it to be tuned to work, as many devices do this already, but perhaps for cost or licencing reasons or to save space behind the screen they have not done this.

As far as I'm aware, the proximity sensor is a virtual sensor by detecting if the phone is held vertically, and using an Ultrasonic sound from the speaker being picked up by the microphone, it attempts to work out if near a face or not. If you hold your phone such that it isn't vertical against your face, the sensor will likely assume the phone is not against a face and so will not turn off the display.

VladTheImplier

Jul 22, 2016
Xiaomi is using ultrasonic proximity sensors on majority of their phones. Some users experience issues with it, some don't.

It all comes down to how you hold your phone while talking.

monkeytown

Jan 15, 2011
wait, i thought 11T and 11T Pro did have a hardware proximity sensor?
usually kimovil differentiates between 'proximity sensor' and 'ultrasonic-proximity' which they also did with these 2 devices. kimovil is the first thing i check if i see a new phone i like.

oouline24hr

Dec 16, 2021
wait, i thought 11T and 11T Pro did have a hardware proximity sensor?
usually kimovil differentiates between 'proximity sensor' and 'ultrasonic-proximity' which they also did with these 2 devices. kimovil is the first thing i check if i see a new phone i like.
They just grab info from many store website compare and rearrange to theirs website with filled micro details. So basically they doesn't know what's really inside the phone. I think they doesn't even have a hardware in there hands.

carolef1984

Aug 10, 2014
Screenshot_2022-01-30-03-39-25-676_com.android.vending.jpg

This app has fixed this issue for me. Just set permissions and then all sorted. I stopped notifications because I don't like the permanent notification showing its running, but that's personal preference.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Only info I found here is about calibrating compas. I found some info about calibrating proximity sensor online, but I don't have the option in CIT menu
    Oops, it was a post from another thread:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/xiaomi-11-5g-lite-ne-proximity-sensor-bug.4408029/post-86660221

Use Chrome, auto-translate when taking a link to the Russian forum
    The proximity sensor on these devices are ultrasonic rather than infrared. They either use this method to save space or because of issues of "seeing" through the screen, although there are infrared proximity sensors that work behind the display.

They work by emitting a high frequency sound (too high for us to hear) from the earpiece and then listening for that sound in the microphone, and by working out how loud the sound is and what delay there is they can work out if the phone is up against our head, but they are not as accurate or reliable as infrared sensors.

The proximity sensor is only activated when the phone is in a vertical position as it would be being held to the ear. If it isn't very reliable it might be worth calibrating the compass as this may help the device knowing which way up it is.

It works okay on my device.

Hope that helps.
    Imo is so simple to use a front camera as hardware sensor...
    They can't use the camera as a hardware sensor as it uses a lot of power, not necessarily the sensor itself, but the imaging system on the SoC needs to be powered up, and it is a lot of data being processed just to try and use it as a proximity sensor.

True proximity sensors use a pulsing infrared LED and an infrared sensor, and the infrared bouncing back from something in close proximity can be detected, and this is very reliable.

Because the screen only has a small hole for the camera with narrow bezels, the proximity sensor has to be placed behind the OLED display, and Xiaomi for some reason has not gone down this route on this device. It is possible to have a normal proximity sensor behind the screen and for it to be tuned to work, as many devices do this already, but perhaps for cost or licencing reasons or to save space behind the screen they have not done this.

As far as I'm aware, the proximity sensor is a virtual sensor by detecting if the phone is held vertically, and using an Ultrasonic sound from the speaker being picked up by the microphone, it attempts to work out if near a face or not. If you hold your phone such that it isn't vertical against your face, the sensor will likely assume the phone is not against a face and so will not turn off the display.
    Sold my phone, could not handle this ****.....
    Love the phone but the sensor killed it ....
    Use "call proximity sensor fix"..I have same trouble my rom is EU Vodafone.
    It doesn't have a hardware proximity sensor, Xiaomi use ai to make virtual sensor. I don't know how it work but it really sick.