General Proximity sensor realy sux!!!

Search This thread

oouline24hr

Dec 16, 2021
So after i tested many times. I think they just use motion detect. Screen will off when you flip the screen down more than 90 degree while calling. No object distance detect.

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
It is true, I've tested this myself. Two things seem to need to happen to trigger the proximity sensor into thinking it is at someone's ear, one is needing to be in a vertical position (not flat) and two, the sonic sensor needs to "hear" a change in the reflected sound.

Even the test app on the phone when testing the ultrasonic proximity sensor says to raise the phone as if answering, it doesn't register anything against the phone if left flat.

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 128

Sammmnh

May 26, 2017
This company is sh*****t

they removed the proximity sensor and the headphones jack

are they idiots ????

I will create a subject regarding the issues with this phone please participate .

I buy this phone , after using Realme 5 pro for 2 years

the Realme phone was much better 🤮

Realme company is underrated ....

• Haha
Reactions: Gerard Lardizabal

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
Xiaomi Mi 11
View attachment 5523041
This app has fixed this issue for me. Just set permissions and then all sorted. I stopped notifications because I don't like the permanent notification showing its running, but that's personal preference.
This app asks Autostart and disable Battery optimization settings

How much battery is drained by this app that must be constantly running in the background?

---

Why Xiaomi does not simply add an option to lock the screen during the call, no matter how do you keep the phone (vertically or not, on the ear or a centimeter off, etc)

You could still terminate the call by Power button. And I would have no problem to unlock the screen by fingerprint after every call (or rarely during the call if I need to mute, add a third party or so)

This virtual sensor is a total sh... I rarely observed a problem during the first two months - but now, upon I put the screen protector, that virtual 'sensor' does not work at all.
On every call lasting 5 minutes or more my ear either activates mute, flash light or in the worst case Airplane mode (thus terminating the call)

I tried calibrating but it improved very little if at all.
I had to reorganize icons in Control center to prevent my ear pressing Airplane mode, etc - but this is not a proper solution.
And still eg today my ear once activated Speaker and another time the mute - while I was on the business call lasting 15-20 minutes

It's sh...

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
Xiaomi Mi 11
Reactions: donkeykong1

Evo400

May 19, 2022
For me the same problem, I had to replace the phone by getting a 12 Pro. Buy after I flashed an xiaomi eu rom the problem seem to have stabilised, so I dont know what the issue was

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The proximity sensor on these devices are ultrasonic rather than infrared. They either use this method to save space or because of issues of "seeing" through the screen, although there are infrared proximity sensors that work behind the display.

They work by emitting a high frequency sound (too high for us to hear) from the earpiece and then listening for that sound in the microphone, and by working out how loud the sound is and what delay there is they can work out if the phone is up against our head, but they are not as accurate or reliable as infrared sensors.

The proximity sensor is only activated when the phone is in a vertical position as it would be being held to the ear. If it isn't very reliable it might be worth calibrating the compass as this may help the device knowing which way up it is.

It works okay on my device.

Hope that helps.
    Imo is so simple to use a front camera as hardware sensor...
    They can't use the camera as a hardware sensor as it uses a lot of power, not necessarily the sensor itself, but the imaging system on the SoC needs to be powered up, and it is a lot of data being processed just to try and use it as a proximity sensor.

True proximity sensors use a pulsing infrared LED and an infrared sensor, and the infrared bouncing back from something in close proximity can be detected, and this is very reliable.

Because the screen only has a small hole for the camera with narrow bezels, the proximity sensor has to be placed behind the OLED display, and Xiaomi for some reason has not gone down this route on this device. It is possible to have a normal proximity sensor behind the screen and for it to be tuned to work, as many devices do this already, but perhaps for cost or licencing reasons or to save space behind the screen they have not done this.

As far as I'm aware, the proximity sensor is a virtual sensor by detecting if the phone is held vertically, and using an Ultrasonic sound from the speaker being picked up by the microphone, it attempts to work out if near a face or not. If you hold your phone such that it isn't vertical against your face, the sensor will likely assume the phone is not against a face and so will not turn off the display.
    Sold my phone, could not handle this ****.....
    Love the phone but the sensor killed it ....
    Use "call proximity sensor fix"..I have same trouble my rom is EU Vodafone.
    It doesn't have a hardware proximity sensor, Xiaomi use ai to make virtual sensor. I don't know how it work but it really sick.