PSA: Clear Google Wallet Settings Before Flashing ROM/Hard Resets!

Search This thread

TaintedByte

May 24, 2009
UPDATE!!! (9/8/2012)

One of the newest versions of the Wallet app seem to prevent the issue (if you already have the error, you are still out of luck). Entropy512 made a detailed post here explaining how the secure element is still being used but how Google updated Wallet to prevent this issue:

Completely dead wrong. The secure element is still in use - if it weren't, then GW would be working on the GT-I9100P and SGH-I777. GW wouldn't cause piles of SE spam in logcat when you use it. GW wouldn't REPORT A DAMNED SECURE ELEMENT VERSION IN THE ABOUT SETTINGS. GW wouldn't bomb if nfcee_access.xml is missing.

The only thing that changed with the "cards stored in the cloud" update is that instead of directly storing the info for an added Citi PayPass card, the SE now stores a "proxy" PayPass card that is funded from whatever card you added in the cloud.

However, Google has made SE management significantly more robust. Previously, if GW lost its credentials, it would just keep retrying until the SE bricked. Now, if it can't authenticate with the SE, it commands the SE to wipe its data and start from scratch. It's pretty much impossible to brick SEs with GW these days.

(Why the thread necromancy? People are still linking to this thread from elsewhere.)

---

While waiting to get my hands on one of these awesome phones I've been reading all I can about it. One thing I ran across in another forum was an issue people were having with the Nexuses & One X's and Google Wallet.

If you do not clear the Google Wallet settings before you do a hard reset/ROM flash, the secure element could be FOREVER BRICKED and you will NOT be able to ever use it for secure purposes such as Google Wallet purchases or future use of the secure element.

For some, this wont be a problem, but if you ever plan or at least want to have the option to use the google wallet, follow these simple steps before doing a hard reset or flashing a new ROM on your phone:

Launch Google Wallet
Hit menu button> Settings> Reset Google Wallet

You are now safe to flash a new ROM or reset your phone, Wallet will be waiting for you on the other side.

Clearing the app data or cache through settings or Titanium WILL NOT WORK! It HAS to be done within the Wallet app. This resets the secure certificate (?) and allows NFC to be used for secure purposes in the future.

---

While I understand the notion of keeping such functionality very secure, Google should have expressed the potential problem. Especially since hard resets are used as a solution when an ordinary user has a problem with their phone.

Frequently Asked Questions

Does this mean if this happens to me I wont be able to use NFC at all?
No. Not at all. NFC will still be functional for non-secure events, like Beam and NFC tag usage. This will only affect secure things, which at the moment is only Wallet.

Is there really no fix?
If you get the "secure element not responding" error, no. Of all the cases the only solution is to get a new phone. The secure element is permanently broken. In the future someone might find a fix, but that sounds unlikely. If you can swap your phone, do it.

How can I prevent this from happening?
If you don't do a lot of flashing, just remember to clear Wallet settings before flashing a new ROM. I would recommend to just leave Wallet cleared if you plan on flashing a lot, you forget once and it could be the end of your secure element.

I get a "Unsupported Device Error" yet Wallet still works, why?
This is a complete different error altogether and as a matter of fact, is not a big deal at all. This only shows up to root users and can easily be ignored -- Wallet will still work.

Why don't we have ROM devs cook in an auto-wiper when installing their ROM?
Only Wallet has the ability to access the phone's secure element, and it will likely be that way for the foreseeable future. A workaround would be to add an option before flashing anything to the recovery itself to ask people if they have cleared Wallet settings.

Wallet is asking for root permissions, should I grant them?
While there are no known repercussions to allowing root, as a general rule of thumb you should never allow root to an application you did not intend to give root access or do not know why it is requiring it. To be on the safe side (and in case something comes up in the future) deny root access to Wallet.

If I never set up Google Wallet will I be fine?
Yes. When you reset Wallet, its restores the secure element and the application data to how it was before an account was linked to your phone, therefore if you never set one up it will be the same as "restoring" an existing Wallet setup.

Wallet is stuck at "adding card" or "initializing account" or it tells me my device/carrier is not authorized, is my secure element toast?
Nope. This is a different message, Wallet activation is turned off at the moment. However, utnick came up with a working fix to get Wallet working right away. Check out his post here to get it. Please do not discuss Wallet activations here.

Sources:
http://rootzwiki.com/news/_/articles/secure-element-error-locking-users-out-of-google-wallet-r280
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1472117
http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/500485-secure-element-problem-google-wallet-help.html#post4013169
http://androidforums.com/sprint-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/547165-sprint-google-wallet-root.html#post4376858
http://pocketnow.com/android/google-wallet-good-news-and-bad-news

Last edited:

freeza

Recognized Developer
May 28, 2006
Pasadena, CA
www.freeza-inc.com
OnePlus 10 Pro
IMPORTANT! Please read!

While waiting to get my hands on one of these awesome phones I've been reading all I can about it. One thing I ran across in another forum was an issue people were having with the Nexuses & One X's and Google Wallet.

Apparently if you do not clear the Google Wallet settings before you do a hard reset/ROM flash, the secure element in your NFC chip will be FOREVER bricked and you will NOT be able to ever use it for secure purposes (google wallet purchases) although it will work for other things like Beam and such.

For some, this wont be a problem, but if you ever plan or at least want to have the option to use the google wallet, follow these simple steps before doing a hard reset or flashing a new ROM on your phone:

Launch Google Wallet

Clearing the app data or cache through settings or Titanium WILL NOT WORK! It HAS to be done within the Wallet app. This resets the secure certificate (?) and allows NFC to be used for secure purposes in the future.

---

While I understand the notion of keeping such functionality very secure, Google should have expressed the potential problem. Especially since hard resets are used as a solution when an ordinary user has a problem with their phone.

Also, forgive me if there is a thread on the Evo LTE forums about this, I tried searching and nothing came up, furthermore it's late and I did think this warranted utmost attention since people already have LTE's in their hands!

Sources:
http://rootzwiki.com/news/_/articles/secure-element-error-locking-users-out-of-google-wallet-r280
http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/500485-secure-element-problem-google-wallet-help.html#post4013169
http://androidforums.com/sprint-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/547165-sprint-google-wallet-root.html#post4376858

Wow, incredible how sensitive the NFC chip is inside of these phones.

I hope I can remember to do this....

Reactions: Rydah

AssassinsLament

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 8, 2007
Twin Cities
Wow, never heard of this before. Thanks for the Info. I am also afraid I will forget about this, as I was planning on using google wallet. So yes, I would suggest a mod sticky this thread, and also suggest we spread the word and make sure all the devs make it a part of the process of flashing roms!

mswlogo

Dec 15, 2004
Boston
Perhaps once a recovery is built it can check if you have cleared it before flash or factory reset.

Or kind of like wimax keys, maybe a wallet clear could be backed up

ckoadiyn

Jan 23, 2010
Perhaps once a recovery is built it can check if you have cleared it before flash or factory reset.

Or kind of like wimax keys, maybe a wallet clear could be backed up

Well I shall keep a eye out first people that will have that option would be the gn as the dev support is massive and has been out for awhile

maxisreed

Dec 15, 2010
Here's my fix for the Google Wallet error after rooting the phone.

WARNING: YOU WILL HAVE TO UNROOT.

1. Unroot (available option in SU menu)
2. Head to your "manage apps" option in settings -> apps
3. Find Wallet and force stop, uninstall, and disable.
4. Find NFC in more connections dialog in settings. If unchecked, check it back on.
5. Go back to Wallet in manage apps, enable it then launch it.
6. Wallet will try to update itself from Google Play, once that happens, it should go through setup with you again, and you'll be fine.

I confirmed it worked at the 7-11 down my block.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE.

shook187

Oct 1, 2010
Haverhill MA
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

4. Find NFC in more connections dialog in settings. If unchecked, check it back on.
6. Wallet will try to update itself from Google Play, once that happens, it should go through setup with you again, and you'll be fine.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE.

Edit:

Last edited:

TaintedByte

May 24, 2009
Yeah I thought it was nuts as well and this will have to be posted in every rom and this should be moved to.dev section as well.

I was thinking about posting it in the dev section since that's probably where most people will be going to get ROMs but I know how XDA gets when posting in the wrong forums (ESPECIALLY the dev forum). But if a mod is okay with it, I do suggest this gets moved there, it will prove much more useful.

Wow, never heard of this before. Thanks for the Info. I am also afraid I will forget about this, as I was planning on using google wallet. So yes, I would suggest a mod sticky this thread, and also suggest we spread the word and make sure all the devs make it a part of the process of flashing roms!

Adding to the previous statement, making this stickied will almost guarantee people wont bork their NFC, and if they still do, at that point, its 100% their fault.

Interesting, I will add this to the main post as a possible fix, hopefully we wont ever have to confirm if it works or not, but it's a nice reference to have.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE!!! (9/8/2012)

One of the newest versions of the Wallet app seem to prevent the issue (if you already have the error, you are still out of luck). Entropy512 made a detailed post here explaining how the secure element is still being used but how Google updated Wallet to prevent this issue:

Completely dead wrong. The secure element is still in use - if it weren't, then GW would be working on the GT-I9100P and SGH-I777. GW wouldn't cause piles of SE spam in logcat when you use it. GW wouldn't REPORT A DAMNED SECURE ELEMENT VERSION IN THE ABOUT SETTINGS. GW wouldn't bomb if nfcee_access.xml is missing.

The only thing that changed with the "cards stored in the cloud" update is that instead of directly storing the info for an added Citi PayPass card, the SE now stores a "proxy" PayPass card that is funded from whatever card you added in the cloud.

However, Google has made SE management significantly more robust. Previously, if GW lost its credentials, it would just keep retrying until the SE bricked. Now, if it can't authenticate with the SE, it commands the SE to wipe its data and start from scratch. It's pretty much impossible to brick SEs with GW these days.

(Why the thread necromancy? People are still linking to this thread from elsewhere.)

---

If you do not clear the Google Wallet settings before you do a hard reset/ROM flash, the secure element could be FOREVER BRICKED and you will NOT be able to ever use it for secure purposes such as Google Wallet purchases or future use of the secure element.

Launch Google Wallet

You are now safe to flash a new ROM or reset your phone, Wallet will be waiting for you on the other side.

---

Frequently Asked Questions

Does this mean if this happens to me I wont be able to use NFC at all?
    No. Not at all. NFC will still be functional for non-secure events, like Beam and NFC tag usage. This will only affect secure things, which at the moment is only Wallet.

Is there really no fix?
    If you get the "secure element not responding" error, no. Of all the cases the only solution is to get a new phone. The secure element is permanently broken. In the future someone might find a fix, but that sounds unlikely. If you can swap your phone, do it.

How can I prevent this from happening?
    If you don't do a lot of flashing, just remember to clear Wallet settings before flashing a new ROM. I would recommend to just leave Wallet cleared if you plan on flashing a lot, you forget once and it could be the end of your secure element.

I get a "Unsupported Device Error" yet Wallet still works, why?
    This is a complete different error altogether and as a matter of fact, is not a big deal at all. This only shows up to root users and can easily be ignored -- Wallet will still work.

Why don't we have ROM devs cook in an auto-wiper when installing their ROM?
    Only Wallet has the ability to access the phone's secure element, and it will likely be that way for the foreseeable future. A workaround would be to add an option before flashing anything to the recovery itself to ask people if they have cleared Wallet settings.

Wallet is asking for root permissions, should I grant them?
    While there are no known repercussions to allowing root, as a general rule of thumb you should never allow root to an application you did not intend to give root access or do not know why it is requiring it. To be on the safe side (and in case something comes up in the future) deny root access to Wallet.

If I never set up Google Wallet will I be fine?
    Yes. When you reset Wallet, its restores the secure element and the application data to how it was before an account was linked to your phone, therefore if you never set one up it will be the same as "restoring" an existing Wallet setup.

Wallet is stuck at "adding card" or "initializing account" or it tells me my device/carrier is not authorized, is my secure element toast?
    Nope. This is a different message, Wallet activation is turned off at the moment. However, utnick came up with a working fix to get Wallet working right away. Check out his post here to get it. Please do not discuss Wallet activations here.

Sources:
    http://pocketnow.com/android/google-wallet-good-news-and-bad-news

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE.
    There's a lot of misinformation in this thread.

Firstly, the yellow unsupported device banner at the top of Google Wallet means nothing. You'll still be able to use Google Wallet. Only rooted users will see it. It's basically warning you that if you mess up, Google aren't liable.

Secondly, there are two types of secure element errors that you'll get. If you get an error saying that there are insufficient secure element privileges, this is to do with your custom ROM being crap. This error is fixable, as it's merely to do with incorrect permissions in the ROM. Using wlpywd's linked workaround could work.

The second secure element error reads as 'secure element not responding' or 'secure element not found'. This is the error that results from not clearing Wallet prior to flashing. If you get this error, there is absolutely nothing you can do other than getting a new phone. Changing build prop or anything else will have no effect - the secure element hardware is now corrupt. Restoring backups will have no effect.

Some have suggested that custom ROM developers could include Wallet wiping as part of the flashing process. This is impossible. When you wipe Wallet, you're wiping the secure element. Only Google has the ability to gain access to the secure element through software. That's why it's secure. It's impossible for ROM developers to gain access to and wipe the secure element without begging Google for the keys.

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Only if u don't want to share stuff easily

You'll still be able to use NFC for Android beam and to scan NFC tags. The destruction of the secure element means that you'll be unable to use other NFC financial services in the future. It also means that if Google ever allows card emulation on Android in the future, you won't be able to use it for access control and ticketing.

However, there is still some hope. Phones can have multiple NFC secure elements. Rumour has it that ISIS will be using the SIM card as the secure element. If this is the case, people with messed up embedded secure elements will still be able to pay for goods with their phones via the SIM secure element.
    --snip--
    Adding to the previous statement, making this stickied will almost guarantee people wont bork their NFC, and if they still do, at that point, its 100% their fault.
    --snip--

You would be surprised, most people never see the stickies because they are using tapatalk or the xda app. The rest usually just glance over them.

So long as it doesn't get buried this would probably be the best place for it to get exposure.