[PSA][DISCUSSION]New kernel source code | AOSP ICS 3.0.16 | Please Read!!!

Search This thread

jacobmacek

Dec 22, 2011
Winchester
As you all know, HTC released the AOSP ICS 3.0.16 kernel source code for our beloved bolt. I have spent well over 30 hours trying to get it to compile. When it failed to compile every time, I thought it must have been something done wrong on my part. I completely re-setup my build environment, tried 4 different toolchains (finally found one that will work) made several defconfigs, and checked my path in my bashrc file at least 25 times.
So, it took some doing, but i got it compile.. for a couple minutes, then stopped. I research the errors I was getting and realized all of my errors were not my fault, but HTC's! They put out kernel source code that cannot even be compiled as-is! But dont worry, I am fixing all of the bugs, one-by-one as they pop up, and remember, this is just for ICS, there are several other devs working on JB with better progress from patching the kernel up to .82.
So, if you are working on the kernel as well or want to learn more about it, post any questions, concerns, and contribute to the development here! :good:

Click here to see how badly HTC messed up the led driver in the new kernel

Last edited:

santod040

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
NorCal
NuK3RN3L | Mecha ICS Sense/Aosp Kernel | 3.0.16 | Overclocked 1,516 MHz

NuK3RN3L - Overclocked ICS Sense/Aosp Kernel from source

For ICS Sense/AOSP based Roms

Jelly Bean is also booting with it already and being further worked on.

Included Governors:
  • interactive
  • conservative
  • userspace
  • powersave
  • ondemand
  • performance

I will try and update git every 7-90 days until I automate it into my buildbox process...

XDA Thread

Last edited:

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
Jacob post the error you are getting. I want to see if it is the same error I'm getting.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

jacobmacek

Dec 22, 2011
Winchester
Jacob post the error you are getting. I want to see if it is the same error I'm getting.

Code:
    drivers/leds/leds-microp.c: In function 'microp_led_jogball_brightness_set':
    drivers/leds/leds-microp.c:118:2: warning: case value '1' not in enumerated type 'enum led_brightness' [-Wswitch]
    error, forbidden warning: leds-microp.c:118
    make[2]: *** [drivers/leds/leds-microp.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [drivers/leds] Error 2
    make: *** [drivers] Error 2
    make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
if you're getting an error with alignment, I have fixed that error and can help, this is for the leds driver

Last edited:

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
No that one is caused by using the 4.6 toolchain. I'm getting a pm8058 error that stops the build shortly after.

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
This is the error I get

arch/arm/mach-msm/built-in.o: In function `pm8058_pwm_enable':
/home/frank/Kernel/arch/arm/mach-msm/board-mecha.c:908: undefined reference to `pm8058_pwm_set_dtest'
arch/arm/mach-msm/built-in.o: In function `pm8058_pwm_config':
/home/frank/Kernel/arch/arm/mach-msm/board-mecha.c:893: undefined reference to `pm8058_pwm_config_led'
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

Code:
    drivers/leds/leds-microp.c: In function 'microp_led_jogball_brightness_set':
    drivers/leds/leds-microp.c:118:2: warning: case value '1' not in enumerated type 'enum led_brightness' [-Wswitch]
    error, forbidden warning: leds-microp.c:118
    make[2]: *** [drivers/leds/leds-microp.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [drivers/leds] Error 2
    make: *** [drivers] Error 2
    make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
if you're getting an error with alignment, I have fixed that error and can help, this is for the leds driver

Did anyone resolve this error, or did everyone take the lazy way out by switching gcc versions?

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
Did anyone resolve this error, or did everyone take the lazy way out by switching gcc versions?

Yea it was an easy fix. Do exactly what the readme.txt says to do from the source or do like you said and get a different toolchain. Using a different toolchain as you know will require more work.

Yea it was an easy fix. Do exactly what the readme.txt says to do from the source or do like you said and get a different toolchain. Using a different toolchain as you know will require more work.

More work? I switched and it compiled right away. I was doing the more work version fixing it lol. HTC uses code and tools from 1981. Change BAD! Sadly it's a corporate motto...

And what readme? I got the source from HTC and it didn't come with one.

https://github.com/ThePlayground/mecha-ics-mr-3.0.16

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
More work? I switched and it compiled right away. I was doing the more work version fixing it lol. HTC uses code and tools from 1981. Change BAD! Sadly it's a corporate motto...

I think the issue some were having was not setting the top path to the right location. I haven't tried using another toolchain yet but some of the newer toolchains needed some extra work to fix build errors.

I think the issue some were having was not setting the top path to the right location. I haven't tried using another toolchain yet but some of the newer toolchains needed some extra work to fix build errors.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to first before governors, schedulers, and then (for the love of God HTC...) updating the linux core.

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
I set my top path to /android/system and the the path to the toolchain they provide and it works great.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NuK3RN3L | Mecha ICS Sense/Aosp Kernel | 3.0.16 | Overclocked 1,516 MHz

NuK3RN3L - Overclocked ICS Sense/Aosp Kernel from source

For ICS Sense/AOSP based Roms

Jelly Bean is also booting with it already and being further worked on.

Included Governors:
    • interactive
    • conservative
    • userspace
    • powersave
    • ondemand
    • performance

I will try and update git every 7-90 days until I automate it into my buildbox process...

XDA Thread