PSA: Do not enable force RTL Layout in 5.1

Search This thread

Technogen

Jul 15, 2008
Just thought I would warn everyone to not go poking around and enable 'Force RTL layout direction' it crashes System IU in 5.1. I'm still looking for a way to correct it, but it looks like factory reset is going to be the only answer.

Reactions: Kiwironic

spikejnz

Mar 30, 2010
Olathe, KS
You have to factory reset, this happened to me and the only way to fix it is to factory reset

Sent from my XT1254 using XDA Forums

This needs to be stickied.

I also bricked my phone on Wednesday when I selected this option, but I was only partially sure that it was to blame. I spent 2.5 hours on the phone with Motorola this morning, and went from a guy who barely spoke English up to a guy who was very-clearly in the USA, and they confirmed the issue and opened a bug ticket. Don't expect a fix anytime soon.

DO NOT ENABLE THIS FEATURE!

Reactions: Technogen

Technogen

Jul 15, 2008

I also bricked my phone on Wednesday when I selected this option, but I was only partially sure that it was to blame. I spent 2.5 hours on the phone with Motorola this morning, and went from a guy who barely spoke English up to a guy who was very-clearly in the USA, and they confirmed the issue and opened a bug ticket. Don't expect a fix anytime soon.

I've spent most of the day getting my phone going again, so annoying setting up accounts again. I was going to go see the new terminator movie this morning but thanks to my turbo I was too angry at droids to go see it....

Reactions: 335Deezl

RichSPK

Dec 3, 2010
Worcester, MA
Just thought I would warn everyone to not go poking around and enable 'Force RTL layout direction' it crashes System IU in 5.1. I'm still looking for a way to correct it, but it looks like factory reset is going to be the only answer.
What is this option supposed to do?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ntxct

Jan 15, 2010
Detroit

RTL is Right to Left.

Basically the option flips all things on android... so in the settings, as it reads from left to right, "wifi - on" the setting is reversed "on - wifi" sort of a setting meant for lefties.. or just those that like toggles on the left side instead of right.

spikejnz

Mar 30, 2010
Olathe, KS
RTL is Right to Left.

Basically the option flips all things on android... so in the settings, as it reads from left to right, "wifi - on" the setting is reversed "on - wifi" sort of a setting meant for lefties.. or just those that like toggles on the left side instead of right.

I can't tell if you're trolling or being serious.

RTL is meant to make the whole phone more convenient for lefties. Your homescreen goes from being the leftmost screen to the rightmost.

Wait, no, it's actually meant to completely **** up all our devices. Yeah, that's it.

ntxct

Jan 15, 2010
Detroit

RTL is meant to make the whole phone more convenient for lefties. Your homescreen goes from being the leftmost screen to the rightmost.

Wait, no, it's actually meant to completely **** up all our devices. Yeah, that's it.
I apologize, I apparently offended you. However everything you just said, to me, is exactly what I know RTL to mean, it flips things from Right to Left, thus RTL... is there an aspect I missed?

Last edited:

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008

That's not the only thing it does.

Go try it. ;)

spikejnz

Mar 30, 2010
Olathe, KS
I apologize, I apparently offended you. However everything you just said, to me, is exactly what I know RTL to mean, it flips things from Right to Left, thus RTL... is there an aspect I missed?

I'm not offended, I just LITERALLY couldn't tell if you were trolling. "Wifi off" becomes "off wifi"? That sounds like a joke.

drtweak

May 4, 2010
Never used this feature nor am i on 5.1 but just tossin my 2 cents. What about using a OTG cable and connect a mouse to it? Not sure to what extent the phone is usable but when my aunt dropped my phome (not even a month old ooooooo i was furious. This is why i dont let people touch my phone. Luckly phone was too new and no refurbs out so they sent me a new one lol) but the digitizer and screen were cracked broken and bleeding. I was going to to fastboot since phone was stuck in camera mode for usb for helium back and no syncing programs setup yet but i tossed on my otg cable and plugged in a mouse and changed usb features, backed up apps to google drive the change usb mode and copied all my files off.

Hope that works for ya

Sent from my XT1254 using XDA Free mobile app

Technogen

Jul 15, 2008
Never used this feature nor am i on 5.1 but just tossin my 2 cents. What about using a OTG cable and connect a mouse to it?

I wish that would have fixed it, the system is responsive but 'System UI' crashes and there is 0 way to get out of it or access the system after that point. When you power on the phone you don't even make it to the lock screen it just dies.

Mar 14, 2015
www.reddit.com
RTL is Right to Left.

My comment isn't relevant to this post but I just wanted to clear up the misconception about RTL. It isn't for lefties (I'm a lefty, it makes no difference to us), it's for languages that go from right to left, like Arabic. English, French, Spanish etc. go from left to right.

ntxct

Jan 15, 2010
Detroit
My comment isn't relevant to this post but I just wanted to clear up the misconception about RTL. It isn't for lefties (I'm a lefty, it makes no difference to us), it's for languages that go from right to left, like Arabic. English, French, Spanish etc. go from left to right.

I really don't have a dog in this fight but heres where I got my info from, "While most of us are used to left-to-right text, menus, and whatnot, there are certainly users who’d prefer their smartphone or tablet to have right-to-left layouts. Of course, if your device’s system language is one that uses a right-to-left script (like Arabic, or Hebrew), the change from LTR to RTL is done automatically. However, Android allows you to force RTL layouts even when using a left-to-right language. "

Source - PhoneArena

So I'm not saying no or disagreeing, just saying that from that article, apparently RTL languages, once set in the settings automatically switch. I'll start source linking all my info from now on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fix RTL via ADB

I had this problem on my turbo after reading about a possible fix for snapchat image problems.
    After a bit of googling, I came up with this simple fix.
    This will only work if ADB Debugging is enabled and your PC is already authorized.
    No need for root.

Code:
    adb devices
    adb shell
    settings put global debug.force_rtl 0
    reboot

RTL is Right to Left.

You have to factory reset, this happened to me and the only way to fix it is to factory reset

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone