Question PSA: How to fix the notification delay or non-receipt issue. Truly pathetic of Google and Samsung.

Search This thread

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
do you know if device reboot will reset the idle modes ?
or if I done the ads command once it should work forever
It will reset the deviceidle setting after a reboot. Just be aware of that.

Another example: I go into Developer options and enable Force Dark Mode. But, after a restart, it toggles it back to off. So, I go back in and turn it back on. Not a big deal because the Finder app lets me find that setting quickly.

My only other theory is that the "Optimize battery usage" setting is turned ON on some system service/process that is required to run freely at all times in order to receive notifications instantly even when the device's screen is off.

Whatever the case may be, Samsung and Google need to get on top of this.

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I configured the app for 5 min notifications and programmed a countdown of my Google Home to see what was going on.

You won't get anything from my screenshots because I have nothing special.

Not sure why you were so quick to dismiss OPs complaint about push notifications.
I do NOT have power saving enabled, no "Adaptive battery" and no "put unused apps to sleep" and did NOT get the push notification from the test app.

I DO get periodic notifications from my Aqua email client which wakes up every 30 min to check my email, so notifications in general do work.

So I for one concur that there is a problem with push notifications, at least in certain setting configurations, that are not trivial to identify.

I kind of gave up wasting time to find RC, coming from a Huawei phone where I had to kill PowerGenie to even get any notifications. Small and sad improvement.

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Really bad
Since I need to reopen it every single time it's really stupid
Shame on u samsung
Did my adb solution fix the issue for you?

My only other theory is that the "Optimize battery usage" setting is turned ON on some system service/process that is required to run freely at all times in order to receive notifications instantly even when the device's screen is off.

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Regarding this:

Under "Settings > Apps > ⋮ > Special access > Optimize battery usage":
I have about 70 apps with Optimize Battery usage turned OFF.
Then there are about 500 apps with Optimize Battery usage turned ON or OFF but on some of them the toggle is controlled by the system (grayed out).
I think I should toggle this off on all 500 or some apps and then see if I this affects battery performance or notification reception in any way.
This way, we won't have to use this ridiculous adb command.
Either way, the system will show me if there is an app sucking an egregious amount of power (Battery/device care panel).

By the way, if you choose to go this route: "Settings > Apps > ⋮ > Reset app preferences" doesn't reset those toggles back to default status.

Last edited:

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Reporting back: Turning Optimize Battery usage off on every single app didn't work. I turned all the toggles to OFF but I'm still not getting instant notifications.
I restarted twice to double check.
I'll have to use the adb deviceidle disable method to make sure that I get my notifications.

Last edited:

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
In conclusion, this seems like a Google problem.

You must run these after each reboot:
./adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable
./adb disconnect

Bookmark this to get adb: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools

I haven't noticed any battery drain because of this.

I toggled off Optimize Battery usage on every single thing, though once I have deviceidle disabled, it doesn't matter anyways.

I don't care if this results in like 10% faster battery drain. I have a big battery for this very reason.

I have 12GB RAM and a 5000mAh battery.

Typically, I will have 5GB RAM free to use and that will help me futureproof the device a little and make it last nearly 4 years.

Nat.smith26

• Dec 3, 2020
    Not sure why you were so quick to dismiss OPs complaint about push notifications.
    I do NOT have power saving enabled, no "Adaptive battery" and no "put unused apps to sleep" and did NOT get the push notification from the test app.

I DO get periodic notifications from my Aqua email client which wakes up every 30 min to check my email, so notifications in general do work.

So I for one concur that there is a problem with push notifications, at least in certain setting configurations, that are not trivial to identify.

I kind of gave up wasting time to find RC, coming from a Huawei phone where I had to kill PowerGenie to even get any notifications. Small and sad improvement.

I am not, I am just saying I don't have Amy of his problems and would be happy to help.

I am on Exynos BTW.

Nat.smith26

• Dec 3, 2020
    Just tested on Tab S7+, I get the notification after 5 min.

Screenshot_20210514-072826_Samsung Internet.jpg

HiQual

Sep 9, 2017
    Crowthorne, UK
    In conclusion, this seems like a Google problem.

You must run these after each reboot:
    ./adb disconnect

Bookmark this to get adb: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools

I haven't noticed any battery drain because of this.

I toggled off Optimize Battery usage on every single thing, though once I have deviceidle disabled, it doesn't matter anyways.

I don't care if this results in like 10% faster battery drain. I have a big battery for this very reason.

I have 12GB RAM and a 5000mAh battery.

Typically, I will have 5GB RAM free to use and that will help me futureproof the device a little and make it last nearly 4 years.
    I would be pleasantly surprised if disabling device idle does not have a large negative effect on standby battery drain (eg overnite). But I expect people that are heavy users of their phones and that therefore have also to charge the battery every day - might not notice any difference - and therefore this is a good idea for them.

NippleSauce

• Jun 23, 2013
    We need anti-trust measures to prevent them from preventing us from installing things on our own phones. That is the only way.
    Lol, Apple is about to face and lose a major lawsuit and there will be an upcoming US law change to slap down on all of the collusion that Apple is currently involved in, and has been involved with for a lengthy amount of time. Right now they still have a bill protecting them so that they can't really get into legal trouble.

If anything, as far as customer support goes, Apple is far, far worse than Android devices. The only Android phone manufacturer that has piss poor customer support happens to be Samsung. But overall, the general standing is:

If you don't know anything at all about tech, phones or computers, then buy an iPhone. But if you DO know a lot about modern tech, phones and computers, then Android would be the one for you. If you THINK that you know a lot about tech, phones and computers but are still struggling with an Android phone.... Well... Then you've been lying to yourself and should switch to Apple devices so that they can 'steal' even more money from what they consider their "customers" lmao. They have basic features that work (as Android phones do) but they don't allow any customization and have severe app development mistrust, and as a result, have a smaller app availability on the App Store (and they all generally cost more money due to what they charge developers for posting just ONE app vs being cheap or free like on Android).

So within about 20 years (if they lose that upcoming lawsuit/national court case), Apple might finally become a worthwhile company for us nerdy, modern tech loving people who are currently stuck with Android. But heck, at least with Android I have the customization that I've always wanted but am "not allowed to have" on iPhones.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      SOLUTION TO DELAYED-NOTIFICATIONS:

Enable USB debugging on the phone.
      You just unzip the file provided here in your PC: https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/
      Navigate to it via terminal.
      Then, after you connect the phone to your PC, run:
      ./adb devices
      That'll fix it for sure.

I simply cannot recommend Android to my normie friends and family.

Let me restate this: It is not our job to fix Google's bugs.

This is a US-centric view.

If you can't tell: I am a bit aggravated right now.

I could not get my GMail, GCal, and other notifications to come through properly on Pixel 5's Android 11 OR S21 Ultra's Android 11.

This has apparently been an issue that many an Android user suffers through silently -- and, some don't even know that this is happening to them. I guess they're embarrassed to publicly state that their mobile OS is subpar.

When you get an e-mail or if a calendar event reminder is coming up, and even if your phone's screen is OFF/locked: you should get an *instant* notification. No delay whatsoever.

Well, if my screen was off/locked, I wouldn't get these notifications or it would take 10+ minutes to show. But, once I unlocked my phone: boom, notifications. And, sometimes even if my screen wasn't locked, there would be a serious delay or no notification.

After spending loads of time trying to fix this problem, me and my friend finally stumbled upon a solution: ./adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable

A reboot eliminates this setting modification, by the way.

Do not tell me that instant e-mail notifications are not necessary. Many of us work jobs that require them to be instant.

No end user should ever have to go through this. iPhone users certainly don't go through this.

If Google doesn't care about Android users, then, why should I, as an Android user, care about Android too? Just switch to iPhone, I guess.

Google pays Apple $10bn+ every year and makes better software for iOS than it does for Android.

Just look at the damn widgets that iOS users get.

So, $10bn/year plus the cost of the software developed to cater to iOS users.

This makes Google a simp cuck to Apple, nothing else.

Would Apple ever return this favor? No.

Therefore, Google management is a simp cucked by Apple, nothing more.

We are fools to be using this OS.

If Google is willing to subsidize my iOS software updates and experience to the tune of billions of dollars every single year -- then, why not just switch?

Clearly, my experience has shown me that Android can be cheaper -- if I don't value my time.

Statistic after statistic bears it out: iPhone users are wealthier.

I am tired of being an Android luser -- why should I take on such abuse and neglect by the main author of my mobile OS?

Before you start patronizing me: YES, I tried every other bloody trick in the book to fix this issue.

No end user should ever have to go through this! No end user should have to run adb commands to enable basic functionality.

There are some basic things that modern smartphones should just be able to do: instant notifications, 3rd party camera support, functioning RCS or some other form of E2EE messaging built-in, reliable local backups, a nationwide network of repair facilities, etc.

Android fails on all of these.

iPhone ordered. Glad to leave this Android ghetto behind.

Hey Google, if you have some self-respect: then, instead of paying Apple $10bn an year and doing iOS development, how about you actually work on some basic Android functionality instead?
      And for you information, all your monologue about iPhone is really too much, especially when some people have the exact same issue.

Just Google iPhone notifications delay and you'll find out.

If you wanna change, just change, We are not kids, nobody is gonna tell you to stay in the Android world if you're not satisfied.

To finish, you maybe make stupid assumptions. I paid an S21U 1500 € because I can, I also have an iPhone 12 Pro from work, and I just never use it because in my tastes, this is a really bad phone to use.

Good thing We use VoIP so I just forward my professional calls now.
      Way too long dude.

But I can say I never had a delay on my notifications, especially on Gmail where my phone rings before my laptop for example.

All my apps get notified in time, I can compare with Signal and it's Desktop app.

I really don't know what's the cause but if I can help.
      There is a reason why iOS has at least 60% market share in the US.

Yes, too many people have no imaginanation, want things easy, and have the manufacturer make their decisions for them. Apple and iOS is the go to for such individuals.
      We need anti-trust measures to prevent them from preventing us from installing things on our own phones. That is the only way.
      Lol, Apple is about to face and lose a major lawsuit and there will be an upcoming US law change to slap down on all of the collusion that Apple is currently involved in, and has been involved with for a lengthy amount of time. Right now they still have a bill protecting them so that they can't really get into legal trouble.

If anything, as far as customer support goes, Apple is far, far worse than Android devices. The only Android phone manufacturer that has piss poor customer support happens to be Samsung. But overall, the general standing is:

If you don't know anything at all about tech, phones or computers, then buy an iPhone. But if you DO know a lot about modern tech, phones and computers, then Android would be the one for you. If you THINK that you know a lot about tech, phones and computers but are still struggling with an Android phone.... Well... Then you've been lying to yourself and should switch to Apple devices so that they can 'steal' even more money from what they consider their "customers" lmao. They have basic features that work (as Android phones do) but they don't allow any customization and have severe app development mistrust, and as a result, have a smaller app availability on the App Store (and they all generally cost more money due to what they charge developers for posting just ONE app vs being cheap or free like on Android).

So within about 20 years (if they lose that upcoming lawsuit/national court case), Apple might finally become a worthwhile company for us nerdy, modern tech loving people who are currently stuck with Android. But heck, at least with Android I have the customization that I've always wanted but am "not allowed to have" on iPhones.