Question PSA: How to fix the notification delay or non-receipt issue. Truly pathetic of Google and Samsung.

Search This thread

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
I would be pleasantly surprised if disabling device idle does not have a large negative effect on standby battery drain (eg overnite). But I expect people that are heavy users of their phones and that therefore have also to charge the battery every day - might not notice any difference - and therefore this is a good idea for them.
It doesn't -- at least not in my case.
But, here's the funny thing. I turned on "Power Saving mode" (Battery Saver in stock Android?) with 70% CPU limit, no AOD, and 10% decrease in screen brightness.
I also set WiFi as Metered.
I still got my notifications to come in -- mostly on time.

I can also turn on Data Saver mode if I'm in danger of low battery.

See this as well: https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS21/comments/lqfdhd
Bixby Routines and a widget help me to switch between 1080p/60hz to max res adaptive, etc.

So, I can control how much power is used by the system perfectly.

Still annoyed that, by default, I can't receive notifications without turning off deviceidle via adb.

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Again, day 2 of disabling deviceidle / doze mode.

No noticeable depreciation in battery life.

I am good at making sure that I only keep the apps open that I need right now or will need in the near future.

Either way, I have the phone on 720p, full-yellow/warm eye comfort shield, 60hz, and Power Saving mode (70% CPU). I manage this with a Bixby Routine. Whenever I'm just messaging/emailing/browsing, I leave it in this low-quality mode.

When I want my luxurious experience, I turn on high-quality mode and viola -- WQXHD+ 120hz adaptive, no eye comfort shield, and I turn off Power Saving mode -- then, I'm good to go with anything more exquisite.

If I really need to save battery, I'll use that low-quality mode, power-saving mode, and I'll use Data Saver with no exceptions made. Either way, I now have WiFi on always metered.

My 5000mAh goes a long long way.

With decent non-gaming use, I can go from 80% to 30% over the course of 2 days -- mind you my Fit2 manages a lot of notifications clearance for me.

Either way, I don't restart my phone often and I can disable deviceidle quickly with adb. I have the commands stored for my future use. And, I just hit the up arrow in terminal to seek through my old commands.

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
What is the purpose of this deviceidle garbage if its doesn't even seem to help much with battery life?!

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
What is the purpose of this deviceidle garbage if its doesn't even seem to help much with battery life?!
Device Idle is a needed system apk.

Generally if you don't use any power management Android's run fine. There's no standard model though so you need to see what you got by how it behaves. Adjust from there and see what works.

As I've said before there are many 3rd party app solutions; don't pigeon hole yourself by sticking to an app that's not working for you. Unlike iPhones your not lock into one solution but the number and variety of possible solutions/apps can be over whelming at times.

Reactions: NippleSauce

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Device Idle is a needed system apk.

Generally if you don't use any power management Android's run fine. There's no standard model though so you need to see what you got by how it behaves. Adjust from there and see what works.

As I've said before there are many 3rd party app solutions; don't pigeon hole yourself by sticking to an app that's not working for you. Unlike iPhones your not lock into one solution but the number and variety of possible solutions/apps can be over whelming at times.
This is why I've always been in favor of OEMs just slapping a minimum 5000mAh battery on all Androids.

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Even that won't save you if it's running hot... plus it takes up a lot of space.
Larger batteries also make thermal runaways much more exciting.
Have you seen this guy: https://root-nation.com/en/gadgets-en/smartphones-en/en-samsung-galaxy-a72-review/ -- 7000mAh battery!

Big battery = better phone.

That is not too big and thermal runaways are not a problem anymore, especially when the system can easily down-throttle to manage that.

I have turned off any and all power management on my S21U and I don't witness any noticeable battery drain.

I do keep Power Saving mode ON for when I don't use the phone much. It's nice to have that bit of control.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Have you seen this guy: https://root-nation.com/en/gadgets-en/smartphones-en/en-samsung-galaxy-a72-review/ -- 7000mAh battery!

Big battery = better phone.

That is not too big and thermal runaways are not a problem anymore, especially when the system can easily down-throttle to manage that.

I have turned off any and all power management on my S21U and I don't witness any noticeable battery drain.

I do keep Power Saving mode ON for when I don't use the phone much. It's nice to have that bit of control.

Thermal runaways ie "events" are always possible especially if Li plating is present. I just replaced my 10+ battery that failed. It was swelling. I was fortunate it didn't damage the display...

Larger battery though means you can more effectively use partial midrange charging to prolong battery life. However I can tell you there's no extra room in the 10+ and to make it thicker for a larger battery wouldn't have been worth the added bulk.
What's needed is the denser energy of the newer generation of Li's; same space, more mAh.

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Larger battery though means you can more effectively use partial midrange charging to prolong battery life.
Exactly. And, we need non-root access to limit charging percentage and bypass the battery when plugged in.

What's needed is the denser energy of the newer generation of Li's; same space, more mAh.
Where are these mythical creatures in everyday phones?
Has Li battery technology even improved/changed in the past 10 years? Not that I can notice.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Exactly. And, we need non-root access to limit charging percentage and bypass the battery when plugged in.

Where are these mythical creatures in everyday phones?
Has Li battery technology even improved/changed in the past 10 years? Not that I can notice.

Doubt you'll see the bypass and that would probably lead to more busted ports.
$1G+ should have more robust charging options no doubt.

Not sure as I haven't look into the Li variants especially if I don't owe or plan on buying them.
They probably wouldn't be compatible with existing phone if they fit because of cell voltage and charging parameter differences.

The bag Li's used in phones are strange critters. Autopsy one sometime and see for yourself. You won't be as comfortable or confident in them afterwards...

Attachments

• 20210409_110339.jpg
    20210409_110339.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • 20210409_110236.jpg
    20210409_110236.jpg
    1,021 KB · Views: 22

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Doubt you'll see the bypass and that would probably lead to more busted ports.
$1G+ should have more robust charging options no doubt.

Not sure as I haven't look into the Li variants especially if I don't owe or plan on buying them.
They probably wouldn't be compatible with existing phone if they fit because of cell voltage and charging parameter differences.

The bag Li's used in phones are strange critters. Autopsy one sometime and see for yourself. You won't be as comfortable or confident in them afterwards...
I can't tell much from these photos.
Has it just swollen up?
If so, did you expose the device to high temperatures combined with a high state of charge (close to 100%)?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I can't tell much from these photos.
Has it just swollen up?
If so, did you expose the device to high temperatures combined with a high state of charge (close to 100%)?
That another one. The one shown is a normal one at the end of it's service life.
What you see there is surrounded by a 8 mil or so bag that's hopefully completely sealed.

The failed one had been losing capacity gradually. One night I slow charged to 100% at about 50°F. From that moment on it would fast charge erratically. It wasn't until over a month later I found the damage (it lives in a case).
It didn't leak. Unfortunately due to a mixup I didn't get the original back. I think it only out gassed but no way to know without a autopsy.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I only use a 5W charger and avoid going to 100% unless absolutely needed.
Typically stick in the 30-80% range.
That's a good range. My battery lasted almost 1.5 years under heavy daily usage. Because I'm in the desert it is hard to always protect it from heat. I used fast charging for nearly 75% of the charging as well usually in midrange 20-30% partial charges.
So while I didn't get 2 years out of it, I did get it replaced without damage.

The 10+'s battery is supposedly a hard one to replace, but after watching and learning a few tricks I know I can do it. The adhesive (not hot glue) can be weaken with small amounts of anhydrous isopropyl alcohol safely. Some heat is also used to weaken the rear cover adhesive/seal bond. Easy does it.
With the battery directly on the display, a little isopropyl alcohol and gentle prying gets it done.
Also get the OEM seal/adhesive if at all possible for easy reassembly.

Going forward battery changes will be a cake walk. Better to replace then too soon then too late!
Battery conservation is more a game than a necessity but partial midrange fast charging fits well with my usage. I try to limit cold start temp and maximum temperature. Failure to do either increases the chances of an outright battery failure. Aging Li's are more susceptible... as I have learned🤣

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
partial midrange fast charging fits well with my usage
Yeah, doing 30-80% (or an even smaller range) with fast-charging each time would easily give you a comfortable 4 years of battery-life.

I don't bother with battery replacements.

Battery replacements are now $60-100 thanks to Apple and BatteriesPlus and UBreakiFix.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Yeah, doing 30-80% (or an even smaller range) with fast-charging each time would easily give you a comfortable 4 years of battery-life.

I don't bother with battery replacements.

Battery replacements are now $60-100 thanks to Apple and BatteriesPlus and UBreakiFix.
On a 10+ the tools you needs less the heat gun are about $30 and parts are cheap, another $20 or so. Small shops will do for $50 but I trust my skill more... now.
You -might- get 4 years but with a phone worth $600 in good condition replacing the battery is a no brainer. The C port pcb is only $20 too. Glass rear covers are under $20 if you accidentally break one.
As the battery degrades past 80% of its original capacity it's best to replace it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SOLUTION TO DELAYED-NOTIFICATIONS:

Enable USB debugging on the phone.
    You just unzip the file provided here in your PC: https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/
    Navigate to it via terminal.
    Then, after you connect the phone to your PC, run:
    ./adb devices
    ./adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable
    That'll fix it for sure.

I simply cannot recommend Android to my normie friends and family.

Let me restate this: It is not our job to fix Google's bugs.

This is a US-centric view.

If you can't tell: I am a bit aggravated right now.

I could not get my GMail, GCal, and other notifications to come through properly on Pixel 5's Android 11 OR S21 Ultra's Android 11.

This has apparently been an issue that many an Android user suffers through silently -- and, some don't even know that this is happening to them. I guess they're embarrassed to publicly state that their mobile OS is subpar.

When you get an e-mail or if a calendar event reminder is coming up, and even if your phone's screen is OFF/locked: you should get an *instant* notification. No delay whatsoever.

Well, if my screen was off/locked, I wouldn't get these notifications or it would take 10+ minutes to show. But, once I unlocked my phone: boom, notifications. And, sometimes even if my screen wasn't locked, there would be a serious delay or no notification.

After spending loads of time trying to fix this problem, me and my friend finally stumbled upon a solution: ./adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable

A reboot eliminates this setting modification, by the way.

Do not tell me that instant e-mail notifications are not necessary. Many of us work jobs that require them to be instant.

No end user should ever have to go through this. iPhone users certainly don't go through this.

If Google doesn't care about Android users, then, why should I, as an Android user, care about Android too? Just switch to iPhone, I guess.

Google pays Apple $10bn+ every year and makes better software for iOS than it does for Android.

Just look at the damn widgets that iOS users get.

So, $10bn/year plus the cost of the software developed to cater to iOS users.

This makes Google a simp cuck to Apple, nothing else.

Would Apple ever return this favor? No.

Therefore, Google management is a simp cucked by Apple, nothing more.

We are fools to be using this OS.

If Google is willing to subsidize my iOS software updates and experience to the tune of billions of dollars every single year -- then, why not just switch?

Clearly, my experience has shown me that Android can be cheaper -- if I don't value my time.

Statistic after statistic bears it out: iPhone users are wealthier.

I am tired of being an Android luser -- why should I take on such abuse and neglect by the main author of my mobile OS?

Before you start patronizing me: YES, I tried every other bloody trick in the book to fix this issue.

No end user should ever have to go through this! No end user should have to run adb commands to enable basic functionality.

There are some basic things that modern smartphones should just be able to do: instant notifications, 3rd party camera support, functioning RCS or some other form of E2EE messaging built-in, reliable local backups, a nationwide network of repair facilities, etc.

Android fails on all of these.

iPhone ordered. Glad to leave this Android ghetto behind.

Hey Google, if you have some self-respect: then, instead of paying Apple $10bn an year and doing iOS development, how about you actually work on some basic Android functionality instead?
    And for you information, all your monologue about iPhone is really too much, especially when some people have the exact same issue.

Just Google iPhone notifications delay and you'll find out.

If you wanna change, just change, We are not kids, nobody is gonna tell you to stay in the Android world if you're not satisfied.

To finish, you maybe make stupid assumptions. I paid an S21U 1500 € because I can, I also have an iPhone 12 Pro from work, and I just never use it because in my tastes, this is a really bad phone to use.

Good thing We use VoIP so I just forward my professional calls now.
    There is a reason why iOS has at least 60% market share in the US.

Yes, too many people have no imaginanation, want things easy, and have the manufacturer make their decisions for them. Apple and iOS is the go to for such individuals.
    Way too long dude.

But I can say I never had a delay on my notifications, especially on Gmail where my phone rings before my laptop for example.

All my apps get notified in time, I can compare with Signal and it's Desktop app.

I really don't know what's the cause but if I can help.
    Or, it's because the basics actually work on iPhones.
    And, those basics are important to people.

Steve Jobs was right about one thing: The sheep outnumber us.

They use their numbers and money to get a better app experience for themselves.

Developers develop for sheep, not for Android Joes.

You're on the wrong forum... no sheep here, we ate them.