Question PSA: How to fix the notification delay or non-receipt issue. Truly pathetic of Google and Samsung.

Search This thread

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
As the battery degrades past 80% of its original capacity it's best to replace it.
Yes, because internal-resistance and other factors will make it so that whenever there is a jump in power-consumption by the device: boom, shut-down.

This is why the low-power-mode (70% CPU limit) may help over time and as the battery ages.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Yes, because internal-resistance and other factors will make it so that whenever there is a jump in power-consumption by the device: boom, shut-down.

This is why the low-power-mode (70% CPU limit) may help over time and as the battery ages.
On the 10+ low power mode is a nightmare; it alters the homepage layout forcing you to reconfigure it back once you reset to Optimize mode. It's easiest just to leave it in the Optimized power setting🤣 I average about 7-10% @hr SOT as such.

With Androids once you have a fast, stable platform that does what you want, updates especially OS "upgrades" are a bad plan. The security risks are almost nonexistent if you don't make stupid mistakes. A factory reset* is about the worst that can happen anyway. In over 6 years, much of that on outdated OS versions I never had to do a factory reset due to malware.

There's a steep learning and optimizing curve with Androids to get them dialed in well. More bang for the buck not to take everything that Gookill says you need... you don't.
With Android you decide what OS version to run.

*always be ready to do a factory reset though Android crashes are very rare they do happen. Having a full plan, complete redundant backups minimize the time, and prevent data/sanity loss.
A SD card slot allows for a data drive so you don't need to reload 100's of gb of data after a factory reset.
An installable copy of all apps and updates can be stored there as well. Simply backup the SD card then for total data redundantcy. Sweet.

Limeybastard

Lets be brutally honest and take one look in the mirror, anyone who spends over 1k on a mobile device has some bolts loose in the northern territories . Myself including. Back on subject, delayed notifications isn't something new on android devices. Welcome to Android 8. Plenty of fixes for it, without the need to use ADB LOLzz

Reactions: blackhawk

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Lets be brutally honest and take one look in the mirror, anyone who spends over 1k on a mobile device has some bolts loose in the northern territories . Myself including. Back on subject, delayed notifications isn't something new on android devices. Welcome to Android 8. Plenty of fixes for it, without the need to use ADB LOLzz
I never had this issue until Android 11.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Same maniacs that ran XPx64, refuse to leave W7 and built their own PCs, no doubt.
My first mobile Motorola phone had a similar price tag with a really cool red LED readout.
We've been conditioned to reach for the fruit at the top rather than the low hanging stuff🤣

Android 8 has some vulnerabilities that 9 doesn't have, like that nasty rootkit that requires a reflash to kill.

Last edited:

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Using Outlook is the only fix I found.
The app allows Gmail accounts and notifications are instant (at least on my phone).
Thanks for the adb tip, though.
Outlook, destroyer of worlds.
Outlook was never secure🤣
It's always been a nesting place for malware.

Keep all email in the cloud; download attachments, jpegs, etc only when needed.
Gmail is bulletproof when used correctly.
In over 14 years of use it's never been responsible for a malware infection on any of my PCs or Androids. That's impressive to me.

If you're really antsy you can always manually refresh Gmail. I use manual sync only... just not in a hurry.

felloffthetruck

May 12, 2014

Yes, please let us in on the fix for the notification problems?

Reactions: nixnixnixnix4

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Outlook, destroyer of worlds.
Outlook was never secure🤣
It's always been a nesting place for malware.

Keep all email in the cloud; download attachments, jpegs, etc only when needed.
Gmail is bulletproof when used correctly.
In over 14 years of use it's never been responsible for a malware infection on any of my PCs or Androids. That's impressive to me.

If you're really antsy you can always manually refresh Gmail. I use manual sync only... just not in a hurry.
This isn't 2005.

Reactions: dovahkiin4756

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I do keep my mail in the cloud.
But, as far as Outlook being bad is concerned: it isn't bad these days.
It's reputation precedes it.

My PCs are all off the internet now. This also allows W7 to run with impunity. Been over 6 years since I had any type of malware on them.
Androids stand up much better. With phones like the 10+ the PCs are mostly for data management or photo editing for me now.

Pojosamaneo

May 6, 2018
From the bottom of my heart, thank you. Saved me from buying another phone on short notice.

I'll keep an eye on this issue for my next phone, or the next android update on this phone. I will not buy another phone that has this problem, especially one that retails for over $1,000.

Reactions: nixnixnixnix4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SOLUTION TO DELAYED-NOTIFICATIONS:

Enable USB debugging on the phone.
    You just unzip the file provided here in your PC: https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/
    Navigate to it via terminal.
    Then, after you connect the phone to your PC, run:
    ./adb devices
    ./adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable
    That'll fix it for sure.

I simply cannot recommend Android to my normie friends and family.

Let me restate this: It is not our job to fix Google's bugs.

This is a US-centric view.

If you can't tell: I am a bit aggravated right now.

I could not get my GMail, GCal, and other notifications to come through properly on Pixel 5's Android 11 OR S21 Ultra's Android 11.

This has apparently been an issue that many an Android user suffers through silently -- and, some don't even know that this is happening to them. I guess they're embarrassed to publicly state that their mobile OS is subpar.

When you get an e-mail or if a calendar event reminder is coming up, and even if your phone's screen is OFF/locked: you should get an *instant* notification. No delay whatsoever.

Well, if my screen was off/locked, I wouldn't get these notifications or it would take 10+ minutes to show. But, once I unlocked my phone: boom, notifications. And, sometimes even if my screen wasn't locked, there would be a serious delay or no notification.

After spending loads of time trying to fix this problem, me and my friend finally stumbled upon a solution: ./adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable

A reboot eliminates this setting modification, by the way.

Do not tell me that instant e-mail notifications are not necessary. Many of us work jobs that require them to be instant.

No end user should ever have to go through this. iPhone users certainly don't go through this.

If Google doesn't care about Android users, then, why should I, as an Android user, care about Android too? Just switch to iPhone, I guess.

Google pays Apple $10bn+ every year and makes better software for iOS than it does for Android.

Just look at the damn widgets that iOS users get.

So, $10bn/year plus the cost of the software developed to cater to iOS users.

This makes Google a simp cuck to Apple, nothing else.

Would Apple ever return this favor? No.

Therefore, Google management is a simp cucked by Apple, nothing more.

We are fools to be using this OS.

If Google is willing to subsidize my iOS software updates and experience to the tune of billions of dollars every single year -- then, why not just switch?

Clearly, my experience has shown me that Android can be cheaper -- if I don't value my time.

Statistic after statistic bears it out: iPhone users are wealthier.

I am tired of being an Android luser -- why should I take on such abuse and neglect by the main author of my mobile OS?

Before you start patronizing me: YES, I tried every other bloody trick in the book to fix this issue.

No end user should ever have to go through this! No end user should have to run adb commands to enable basic functionality.

There are some basic things that modern smartphones should just be able to do: instant notifications, 3rd party camera support, functioning RCS or some other form of E2EE messaging built-in, reliable local backups, a nationwide network of repair facilities, etc.

Android fails on all of these.

iPhone ordered. Glad to leave this Android ghetto behind.

Hey Google, if you have some self-respect: then, instead of paying Apple $10bn an year and doing iOS development, how about you actually work on some basic Android functionality instead?
    And for you information, all your monologue about iPhone is really too much, especially when some people have the exact same issue.

Just Google iPhone notifications delay and you'll find out.

If you wanna change, just change, We are not kids, nobody is gonna tell you to stay in the Android world if you're not satisfied.

To finish, you maybe make stupid assumptions. I paid an S21U 1500 € because I can, I also have an iPhone 12 Pro from work, and I just never use it because in my tastes, this is a really bad phone to use.

Good thing We use VoIP so I just forward my professional calls now.
    There is a reason why iOS has at least 60% market share in the US.

Yes, too many people have no imaginanation, want things easy, and have the manufacturer make their decisions for them. Apple and iOS is the go to for such individuals.
    Way too long dude.

But I can say I never had a delay on my notifications, especially on Gmail where my phone rings before my laptop for example.

All my apps get notified in time, I can compare with Signal and it's Desktop app.

I really don't know what's the cause but if I can help.
    Or, it's because the basics actually work on iPhones.
    And, those basics are important to people.

Steve Jobs was right about one thing: The sheep outnumber us.

They use their numbers and money to get a better app experience for themselves.

Developers develop for sheep, not for Android Joes.

You're on the wrong forum... no sheep here, we ate them.