• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

PSA: Huawei Mate 20 Pro has a display problem - Gluegate

Search This thread

NewtScamander

Feb 18, 2018
VÍDEO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smsc_wp_YuI

UPDATE:
OK, now it's a widespread issue.

It looks like it could be the glue drying or something else.
Because the issue appears after some days of usage.

Btw, I've returned my phone

-------------------------

I bought the Mate 20 Pro the 18th of October, at first the display looked fine but it's been some days already that I'm noticing a yellow/green tint on the right side of the display that reminds me so much to the problem that happened with the Nexus 4 (it was because of the glue [https://www.pocketables.com/images/....com/images/2012/12/nexus-4-yellow-screen.jpg) ).

And it's getting worse.

It's not just me, another user on XDA and another user on Reddit also said that are having the same issue.

If it's the glue, even if you don't notice the issue right now on your device, it might appear in the next days, as it happened to me.

These are my pictures:

[https://imgur.com/a/6doz3ZI](https://imgur.com/a/6doz3ZI)

What do you think?

I'll go and return my phone for another one this Monday. And if the new one has the same problem I'll ask for a refund

UPDATE:

More things I've noticed:
After playing a burn in fix video, the way that this issue looks is different, it changes.

Here I took some pictures of the display with a black background:

https://imgur.com/a/RVscvY9

NEWEST UPDATE:

There seem to be two different issues, or maybe one. Maybe it's related with the display controller

Here's a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smsc_wp_YuI

CASES REPORTED:

One user:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Huawei/com...ei_mate_20_pro_might_have_a_glue_gate/e8ne71q

Another user:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Huawei/com...ei_mate_20_pro_might_have_a_glue_gate/e8me29u

Another:
https://www.htcmania.com/showthread.php?t=1450601

Another:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mate-20-pro/help/screen-issues-t3859742

Another:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=78004165&postcount=6

And another:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=77990662&postcount=3

And mine.

UPDATE:

And here we have 3 more users:
https://i.imgur.com/IZfzucj.jpg

It appears that the problem appears after some days of usage, so It could be a gluegate, that's why I opened this post, to warn users.

Another one:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Huawei/com...ei_mate_20_pro_might_have_a_glue_gate/e8pqags

Last edited:

vwite

May 6, 2017
is there a way to find out if your unit has a BOE or LG display? All of the reviewers said the screen was amazing but LG screens had a lot of complaints on the Pixel

roosta

Oct 26, 2010
Melbourne
if its glue, its a manufacture faulty batch (lets hope). This even happened years ago with Samsung phones due to poor QA (and for Samsung that's huge).

While highly unlikely, if you happen to find its software related or to do with w/display driver, post it in the EMUI/software problem/fault thread so you can let others know. Also, be sure to get in touch with Huawei and keep us posted on your results.

EDIT 1/11: From what I can read on the first 30-40 pages its moistly screens with LG and not BOE. Its in multiple regions, so let's way a few more weeks and see if the newer BOE batches or wave 2 of the shipments fixes the issue...

RoOSTA

Last edited:

cd993

May 8, 2009
London

Attachments

• IMG-20181028-WA0153.jpg
    IMG-20181028-WA0153.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 6,333
Reactions: ffaaiissaall

bazda

Nov 22, 2013
I have similar problem. The brighter shade can be visible on both sides ( on the right side little bit more expressive) and at notch edges. I'm returning phone tommorow . Sucha a shame :/

Kipp162

Dec 1, 2011
Following this. I also have the same issue. Not sure though if it's to do with the screen refractions on the curved glass. Will wait to see what happens with others. What apps are people using to test?

Kipp162

Dec 1, 2011
A great way to tell is if you have a white chrome window and then pull the notification shade down it shows all around the notch. I think it's something to do with greys on low light levels?

__NBH__

May 20, 2011
Yeah greys at low light seem to vary in colour a little, if it's really bad keep swapping the phone. I had to change my Nexus 6P made by Huawei 3 times before I got a good screen. Mine is slightly lighter on the bottom third but it's hardly noticeable so I'm going to stick with it.

Reuben_skelz92

Feb 20, 2016
Yeah greys at low light seem to vary in colour a little, if it's really bad keep swapping the phone. I had to change my Nexus 6P made by Huawei 3 times before I got a good screen. Mine is slightly lighter on the bottom third but it's hardly noticeable so I'm going to stick with it.
I'm the same I have slight green on the right and near the notch but only in a dark room at 0 brightness on grey backgrounds

bazda

Nov 22, 2013
For me it was netflix loading screen,it's gray,and the amount of shade was overwhelming :-/ I'll check another version tommorow,if the issue will show up on another device i quit and wait for S 10 probably.

I'm the same I have slight green on the right and near the notch but only in a dark room at 0 brightness on grey backgrounds

Be cautious,I saw nothing at first day of usage. I think this issue is getting worse over time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wanakmalarief

stewartk

Sep 21, 2010
lancaster
For me it was netflix loading screen,it's gray,and the amount of shade was overwhelming :-/ I'll check another version tommorow,if the issue will show up on another device i quit and wait for S 10 probably.

Be cautious,I saw nothing at first day of usage. I think this issue is getting worse over time.

Mine got worse today. Used a lot today though

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have gone through every post in this thread. It seems like there are way more reports of display problems on XDA than anyplace else and that easily over 80% of those reports are from junior members with new accounts.

Conversely, there have been thousands of reports of battery drain and overheating for the OP5, 5T & OP6 on the official One Plus community site but owners on XDA strangely seem to be immune to those issues.

There were also new reports every day of Pixel XL phones dying (black screen of death) on the official Google Pixel site starting immediately after launch with numbers growing exponentially larger every month but Pixel XL owners on XDA never encountered that issue either.

I think people should be skeptical of at least some of the posts in this thread. I have no problems with my Mate 20 Pro display (which is an LG). I know another half dozen people who purchased this phone and not a single one of them has a problem with their displays. Anyone can make their display appear to have gone hulk in a photograph by adjusting the color in settings and then taking a picture in a dark room with no flash.

There are people in this thread claiming that every LG display is defective. If that were the case don't you think you would be reading about it on other Android news sites? Even the XDA News Feed has posted no story suggesting anything widespread as that.
    i had THREE faulty units so far ,do you think me or other people with this problem like to waste our time over the phone with vodafone cpw three ee o2 to ask everytime replacements and start again to put the apps and the other things in a new phone?for what? jesus some people man....

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Ok so I have 3 different phones and have taken a couple of pics. All on the same settings and all the same leave of light

The one the far right is the LG screen that has the dreaded green edges. The middle phone is a replacement LG screen arrived yesterday and the far left is a BOE screen arrived yesterday as well.

As you can see they are all different. The BOE actually has a grey tinge to it and in the dark its really hard to read and doesn't seem to adapt much to going from a light room to a dark. The second LG screen has a kind of blue hue to it and seem to adapt more, and the old LG screen is yellow and has not hope.

I am actually really surprised at the difference in the screens. I actually prefer the new LG screen, it doesn't have any green bleed as yet, but worried it may in a few days.
    I have gone through every post in this thread. It seems like there are way more reports of display problems on XDA than anyplace else and that easily over 80% of those reports are from junior members with new accounts.

Conversely, there have been thousands of reports of battery drain and overheating for the OP5, 5T & OP6 on the official One Plus community site but owners on XDA strangely seem to be immune to those issues.

There were also new reports every day of Pixel XL phones dying (black screen of death) on the official Google Pixel site starting immediately after launch with numbers growing exponentially larger every month but Pixel XL owners on XDA never encountered that issue either.

I think people should be skeptical of at least some of the posts in this thread. I have no problems with my Mate 20 Pro display (which is an LG). I know another half dozen people who purchased this phone and not a single one of them has a problem with their displays. Anyone can make their display appear to have gone hulk in a photograph by adjusting the color in settings and then taking a picture in a dark room with no flash.

There are people in this thread claiming that every LG display is defective. If that were the case don't you think you would be reading about it on other Android news sites? Even the XDA News Feed has posted no story suggesting anything widespread as that.

-Oneplus is a budget phone so mistakes are more easily forgiven. Plus usualy battery drain is a software problem, all ot takes is an update to fix it. No need to exchange your device and be left without a phone for weeks.

-The Pixel isnt getting as much attention because it was not nearly as hyped as the Huawei Mate 20 Pro. Many people like myself have been looking forward to this phone's announcement for months, every new leak making is want it more, whereas the pixel wasnt really a big deal. It's a good device but with no outstanding feature and no built up hype.

-The Huawei is getting this much attention because of the amount of hype surrounding it. Huawei have been pushing it a lot and advertising it everywhere, we had months of leak to build up the expectations, their presentation conference got us all amazed and the press-conf reviews presented it as the best android phone until 2019 spring releases. Also it is the first Huawei device to reach the "top brand" 1000€ price tag, so considering their lower-than-usual prices were one of their big selling point before, people really expected the phone to live up to that price bump. So it's no wonder that after all of that, any form of major issue will make people angry. Especialy since the issue requirzs exchange or repairs, unlike a software problem.

-As for other android forums, honestly I am speaking for myself here, but I dont know any. I know some android news websites, a few general tech forums here and there with usualy a less "specialized" audience (LTT, local forums)... Whenever I search for help on google XDA is the only reliable forum that shows up. And whenever I want actual real-life reviews of a phone, XDA is the only place online for that, as any other review is usualy either from tech journalists who dont use the device like a normal person would (would it be because they didnt pay for it alone. You tend to be way more picky when it's your money that's at stake) or amazon meh reviews. So I am not surprised that XDA has the biggest amount of complaints. Its simply because XDA is the only real place to go for that kind of stuff.

-I feel like your post heavily implies that XDA is biased against Huawei and for Oneplus/Google. Well, to that I simply reply that the whole internet this year is biased in favor of oneplus. From journalists to regular users, just because it's cheaper than regular flagships for similar specs people will ignore most flaws saying it's what you should expect at that price but wont hesitate to call other brands bad because of their prices regardless of the quality of the phone. As for the pro-google bias, I agree and will simply sum it up with one sentence : "stock-android purists". Those people are as annoying as the people who will defend Linux over anything regardless of what the topic is. But oh well what can you do. Many "purists" will trashtalk anything that isnt stock android. So for those people anything that isnt a Google phone (or a Oneplus since the skin is similar) is bad. Same goes for bootloaders and stuff like that, even though the large majority of users dont care at all. But XDA being heavily specialized in android phones and dev, it is understandable that a lot of active users here think this way. In any case, it does not invalidate criticism, complaints or praise. Just ignore the more extreme reviews of the bunch. But a good device deserves to be praised, and a device with a problem as significant as the Mate20's deserves to be heavily criticized. People dont hate the phone, quite the opposite, they want to love it and they do when it works, they just are mad at the issue, and have better things to do with their time than swapping unit over and over.
    More pictures Note 9 and mate 20 pro side by side