PSA: Huawei Mate 20 Pro has a display problem - Gluegate

Jonathan-H

Sep 27, 2014
I cannot cancel my contract without paying off the full term which would be at a guess around a £1000 or more. Looks like I'm stuck in this contract and I will just be sending the phone back and forth until I get a non defective device.

I actually really like this phone so I'd be happy staying with it as long as its without issue.
If the next one comes faulty, they will have to cancel your contract. That is what they have offered me.

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

I'm on my 3rd day with the LG display and not a hint of green tint so far. How long does it normally take before it starts getting worse?
Well if you can't spot it straight away, it might take 2 to 7 days. My first one took about 5 days to get bad.

Umoxya

Nov 16, 2018
The original person I spoke with a few days ago said I could terminate contract if 2nd phone was also faulty.

But the person I spoke with today said I could not and would only get a replacement. So it seems to be a different story depending on who you speak with a customer services.

There should just be specific response across the board when these issues arise so we all know where we stand and not different actions it seems like we have at the moment depending on supplier and country.

djBarren

Oct 27, 2018
Great conclusion! I made an account because I wanted to tell you guys about a problem that I thought you would like to know of, my mistake! I dont really care if you believe me or not but I cant figure out why you would think that im lying? Do you so desperatly wanna believe that a BOE display will guarantee you a perfect phone? Sorry guys thats not the case. We have a poll on a swedish android forum and there are serveral people that have gotten a bad BOE display and many more with a crappy LG display.
I really thought I had got my hands on a good display when I unboxed my fourth phone and installed device info and it said BOE. So you can believe my disapointment when I realised that was not the case.
Anyways good luck guys, I hope you all will find a perfect phone, regardless if you get a LG or BOE!

Forgive my doubting you. But photographic evidence would have helped you get your point across. So it's looking like it's a manufacturing fault if that's the case.

Troutguy

Nov 15, 2018
Forgive my doubting you. But photographic evidence would have helped you get your point across. So it's looking like it's a manufacturing fault if that's the case.
Its all good :) Tried to take a picture with my old phone but I guess my old phone is to bad at taking pictures in low light.

tsha6

Nov 10, 2018
I'm on my 3rd day with the LG display and not a hint of green tint so far. How long does it normally take before it starts getting worse?
It should be notable from start. On my first mate 20 pro it could only be seen when explicitly testing with oled tools in a dark room during the first days. When I sent it back after a week a greenish tint could be seen at nearly full brightness when having a light grey background.

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

Just got the replacement for my first Mate 20 Pro, which suffered from the green screen issue and luckily it's a BOE screen that doesn't have this issue.
However it appears to me that surfaces have a slight sandpaper-like texture to them instead of being a smooth surface (especially noticeable when using gboard or on grey or white areas).

By the way smart resolution is of course turned off, thought at first that this could be the reason.

silverwings2008

May 30, 2009
Birmingham
This is crazy. I am getting my 5th replacement from EE tomorrow, and they phoned Huawei who confirmed there is a fault with the early batches.
EE also gave me a £30 credit on my account for the hassle I was having. Can't believe how our treatment is differing so much. I would try again with them.
I am over the 14 days as well but they say that with a fault, they will replace or cancel the contract within 28 days.
Mine is Twilight colour by the way.
Me too, decided to cancel the contract FOC after the third dodgy replacement. Might try again once all the old stock is shifted.

I was outside the 14 days, but inside the 28 days. Seems that it depends who you speak too....

Last edited:

skoobee

Jul 3, 2013
Kirkcaldy
---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

[/COLOR]Just got the replacement for my first Mate 20 Pro, which suffered from the green screen issue and luckily it's a BOE screen that doesn't have this issue.
However it appears to me that surfaces have a slight sandpaper-like texture to them instead of being a smooth surface (especially noticeable when using gboard or on grey or white areas).

By the way smart resolution is of course turned off, thought at first that this could be the reason.
Somebody earlier said the same, the BOE screen isn't as nice as the LG one. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I have an LG screen on day 22 and no green.

Reactions: tsha6 and gabtoof

whoops1234

Mar 27, 2013
I've just received my replacement from CPW/Mobiles.co.uk and it's the BOE screen in Twilight serial number 18B05. Screen looks and feels fine to me. So I'm happy now

tomfuegue

Jun 30, 2012
Somebody earlier said the same, the BOE screen isn't as nice as the LG one. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I have an LG screen on day 22 and no green.
Exactly the same as me.

I've the LYA-L09, or what is the same, the version of a single sim.

Enviado desde mi LYA-L09 mediante Tapatalk

aygul12345

Jan 14, 2011
As you can see I had the greenisch tint on the phone. I cancled the contract at the mediamarkt they dont want to help me. I must wait 24h and then next week saterday choosing an new contract at T-Mobile shop. They guarenteerd they have not the faulty displays!

View attachment 4645189IMG_0473.jpg

Reactions: djBarren