PSA: Magisk v22 seems to soft brick, stuck in Fastboot

Search This thread

mon0theist

Magisk seems to have made major changes with the newest v22 release, and I discovered this morning after installing it that upon reboot, you get stuck in the Fastboot screen. Looks like the only way to fix is to re-flash Stock from LGUP and basically just start over. Fun!

I had no issues with Magisk versions up through 21.x, but unless you know something I don't know, don't attempt to upgrade to Magisk v22.

Maybe @ChazzMatt has more knowledge and can comment/elaborate on what the problem is

EDIT: I was able to just re-flash the TWRP-flashable 930b zip and Magisk 18 and it seems to be working, unfortunately I had already attempted factory reset so I might've been able to save myself a ton of time if I *hadn't* done that, now I gotta go through and setup my phone all over again, but I'm at least past the issue of being stuck in fastboot.

UPDATE

* Variant: US998 US Cellular/Carrier Unlocked
* ROM: Rooted Stock Pie (US99830b)
* Magisk: v21.4

So it seems the issue is not that it "soft bricks", but something about the new installation process of Magisk v22 goes wrong with the /boot partition, causing the phone to only be able to boot into Fastboot mode.

After getting my phone fully recovered and restored from the last failed attempt (and making a new TWRP backup), I attempted the v22 update again. First Magisk attempted to download and install the new v22 app, and then a popup notification said "additional setup is required for your device, press OK to reboot". So I hit okay, and that's when once again I got stuck in Fastboot with no other options.

If you have a TWRP/nandroid backup, you can easily fix this by performing the Master Reset process in order to boot into TWRP, and then just Restoring the /boot partition from your TWRP backup. This will get you back to Magisk v21.4 where you were before, which is where I'm currently at.

At this time, unless Magisk releases a TWRP-flashable .zip for v22, or unless there's a way to update to v22 via Fastboot, it doesn't look like updating to v22 will be possible, at least for the Stock Pie ROM.

I've seen on both reddit and XDA that several people are saying they updated to v22 without issue, but it's unclear if they were on Stock or Custom ROM. My guess would be that Custom ROMs are probably working fine and it's the Stock ROM that's having the issue.

Update 2

Someone suggested just renaming the magisk v22 apk to zip instead, and this seems to work.

What I did:

* Download the Magisk v22 apk from github

* Rename it to zip instead of apk

* Download the magisk v22 apk again, so now you have both a zip and an apk

* flash the v22 zip in TWRP

* Upon rebooting, I again got the "additional setup needed, press OK to reboot" prompt, so I did

* Successfully rebooted without getting stuck in fastboot, but upon opening magisk, I got the same prompt again

* manually installed the Magisk v22 apk from my file explorer

* opened the newly installed magisk app and again got the "additional setup" prompt, hit OK to reboot

* device rebooted again, and I think I got the prompt/reboot cycle one more time, but eventually after doing this, Magisk app opens and shows v22 with no more setup/reboot prompts

Seems to be working now as far as I can tell 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: Dizzyrul3z

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
I was able to upgrade perfectly fine using their app. I hadn't hid the Magisk Manager app, maybe that's the issue? I had Magisk Hide active on a few apps to hide root.

mon0theist

I was able to upgrade perfectly fine using their app. I hadn't hid the Magisk Manager app, maybe that's the issue? I had Magisk Hide active on a few apps to hide root.

I didn't hide it either so idk what happened. I never had any issues with the "Direct Install" option for Magisk upgrades before. It said "downloading" but never seemed to actually do anything. It wasn't until I rebooted a few days later that the problem occurred.

Did you just do the direct install?

Osprey00

Jul 21, 2009
I, too, had no problems updating using the app. I used the Direct Install option. I did have a problem with Direct Install with the last 21.x version, though. It didn't do anything and I had to update via recovery, but someone else (might've been ldeveraux) said that he had no such issue, so it wasn't the version per se. It could just be that the updates fail sometimes for whatever reason. If you try again, it might work this time.

That said, it seems like you're using the stock ROM, so maybe there's a genuine issue with v22 there. I wouldn't know, since I'm on an LOS-based ROM.

Last edited:
Reactions: mon0theist

Transmogriff

Mar 1, 2015
Magisk seems to have made major changes with the newest v22 release, and I discovered this morning after installing it that upon reboot, you get stuck in the Fastboot screen. Looks like the only way to fix is to re-flash Stock from LGUP and basically just start over. Fun!

I had no issues with Magisk versions up through 21.x, but unless you know something I don't know, don't attempt to upgrade to Magisk v22.

Maybe @ChazzMatt has more knowledge and can comment/elaborate on what the problem is

EDIT: I was able to just re-flash the TWRP-flashable 930b zip and Magisk 18 and it seems to be working, unfortunately I had already attempted factory reset so I might've been able to save myself a ton of time if I *hadn't* done that, now I gotta go through and setup my phone all over again, but I'm at least past the issue of being stuck in fastboot.
I have the same issue as OP. @mon0theist, when you say you were able to flash 930b zip, which file is that exactly? And how does one flash it from fastboot?

Osprey00

Jul 21, 2009
I have the same issue as OP. @mon0theist, when you say you were able to flash 930b zip, which file is that exactly? And how does one flash it from fastboot?
I don't want to speak for him, but, if you have the US998, like he does, I would try this one:

It's been so long since I've done this and I'm just going off of what others have posted, but it seems to me like you have two options:

A) Partly follow this guide to flash TWRP and boot into TWRP: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...r-instructions.3790500/page-165#post-79972584
Once in TWRP, you can flash the zip above.

B) Unzip the zip above and try running "fastboot flash boot boot.img" and "fastboot flash system system.img". I'm not sure of those commands or if you'll have TWRP afterward.

Anyways, don't take me as an expert on this, since I haven't had to use fastboot or flash TWRP in a year and a half, but, hopefully, this helps a little.

Reactions: Transmogriff

mon0theist

I got it from one of @ChazzMatt's threads, the TWRP-flashable US99830b.zip

If you already had TWRP installed, when you do the Master Reset on the LG V30, it doesn't actually go into Master Reset, it goes into TWRP instead. From there, you can copy over the 30b zip via USB and flash via TWRP. You can probably just flash right over the existing installation without wiping anything but idk for sure. I wiped first in the course of troubleshooting.

Reactions: Transmogriff

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

UPDATE

* Variant: US998 US Cellular/Carrier Unlocked
    * ROM: Rooted Stock Pie (US99830b)
    * Magisk: v21.4

So it seems the issue is not that it "soft bricks", but something about the new installation process of Magisk v22 goes wrong with the /boot partition, causing the phone to only be able to boot into Fastboot mode.

After getting my phone fully recovered and restored from the last failed attempt (and making a new TWRP backup), I attempted the v22 update again. First Magisk attempted to download and install the new v22 app, and then a popup notification said "additional setup is required for your device, press OK to reboot". So I hit okay, and that's when once again I got stuck in Fastboot with no other options.

If you have a TWRP/nandroid backup, you can easily fix this by performing the Master Reset process in order to boot into TWRP, and then just Restoring the /boot partition from your TWRP backup. This will get you back to Magisk v21.4 where you were before, which is where I'm currently at.

At this time, unless Magisk releases a TWRP-flashable .zip for v22, or unless there's a way to update to v22 via Fastboot, it doesn't look like updating to v22 will be possible, at least for the Stock Pie ROM.

I've seen on both reddit and XDA that several people are saying they updated to v22 without issue, but it's unclear if they were on Stock or Custom ROM. My guess would be that Custom ROMs are probably working fine and it's the Stock ROM that's having the issue.

Update 2

Someone suggested just renaming the magisk v22 apk to zip instead, and this seems to work.

What I did:

* Download the Magisk v22 apk from github

* Rename it to zip instead of apk

* Download the magisk v22 apk again, so now you have both a zip and an apk

* flash the v22 zip in TWRP

* Upon rebooting, I again got the "additional setup needed, press OK to reboot" prompt, so I did

* Successfully rebooted without getting stuck in fastboot, but upon opening magisk, I got the same prompt again

* manually installed the Magisk v22 apk from my file explorer

* opened the newly installed magisk app and again got the "additional setup" prompt, hit OK to reboot

* device rebooted again, and I think I got the prompt/reboot cycle one more time, but eventually after doing this, Magisk app opens and shows v22 with no more setup/reboot prompts

Seems to be working now as far as I can tell 👍
    I, too, had no problems updating using the app. I used the Direct Install option. I did have a problem with Direct Install with the last 21.x version, though. It didn't do anything and I had to update via recovery, but someone else (might've been ldeveraux) said that he had no such issue, so it wasn't the version per se. It could just be that the updates fail sometimes for whatever reason. If you try again, it might work this time.

That said, it seems like you're using the stock ROM, so maybe there's a genuine issue with v22 there. I wouldn't know, since I'm on an LOS-based ROM.
    I don't want to speak for him, but, if you have the US998, like he does, I would try this one:

It's been so long since I've done this and I'm just going off of what others have posted, but it seems to me like you have two options:

A) Partly follow this guide to flash TWRP and boot into TWRP: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...r-instructions.3790500/page-165#post-79972584
    Once in TWRP, you can flash the zip above.

B) Unzip the zip above and try running "fastboot flash boot boot.img" and "fastboot flash system system.img". I'm not sure of those commands or if you'll have TWRP afterward.

Anyways, don't take me as an expert on this, since I haven't had to use fastboot or flash TWRP in a year and a half, but, hopefully, this helps a little.

I got it from one of @ChazzMatt's threads, the TWRP-flashable US99830b.zip

If you already had TWRP installed, when you do the Master Reset on the LG V30, it doesn't actually go into Master Reset, it goes into TWRP instead. From there, you can copy over the 30b zip via USB and flash via TWRP. You can probably just flash right over the existing installation without wiping anything but idk for sure. I wiped first in the course of troubleshooting.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone