• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[PSA] NO OTAs!! | Keep Root/Unlock | How-To: Block OTA, DL SW/FW, Update Manually

Search This thread

autoprime

Recognized Dev / Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 23, 2010

Manual Updating: How-To Preserve Root Access and Bootloader Unlock!

update... as of Nov 10 2014:
Official Lollipop for D855 and F400 has come out... following my instructions here you can still get bump'd - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=56650179&postcount=59

So far, no anti-rollback in sight but I would still be careful of future updates.. and all other G3 devices models should be careful before taking an OTA (AT&T/Verizon... maybe).

Follow the steps above and you will ALWAYS have access to root/bump and flash anything you want.

This thread assumes you are already rooted, have TWRP installed and can read English.
If you have those 3 covered the rest is EASY as long as you read.
If you are unsure of any terms used in this post please search XDA/Google instead of asking in here.

Background
I'll get this out of the way right now... if you do not care about having access to Bump or root you can ignore all of this and continue to take LG's OTA updates. One could argue that taking OTA updates is required to maintain any level of safety/security... but that goes out the window once you start rooting and installing recovery/roms anyway. Regardless, I am not telling anyone not to update. But if you do update... do it manually. As of Oct 18 2014, every single G3 variant has root and bootloader unlock.. either out of the box(D851) or thanks to Bump. There is no need to ever take an OTA from here on out. The latest D855 and F400 OTA updates have blocked TowelRoot, IORoot and even Stump.. pretty sure only PurpleDrake works on them for now... I would expect PurpleDrake to be patched soon enough. And with official Lollipop updates coming root will only get harder. But.. as long as we install everything through TWRP manually we can update while keeping root/unlock/Bump.

Yes, we can downgrade using LG FlashTool but that could be blocked at any time with an OTA update to prevent rollback(Samsung does this).
Yes, it's possible to complete an OTA upgrade and maintain root but there is no way to know for sure if root will stick. And the OTA is upgrading the bootloader. Why gamble? This post is just a suggestion on how to stay updated without locking yourself out of anything... but it's not a rule. Just one of many options you can take. But if you do lose root or bootloader unlock after an OTA... don't go asking any devs when then next root tool is coming out or if there's a magical way to downgrade the bootloader.
Overview
With all that said... now that we're all rooted and unlocked I decided to make a thread on how to:
1. Block OTA updates and remove OTA packages and that annoying notification. Easy!
2. Download updates manually.. no OTA zip needed. Easy!
3. Manually flash updates without losing root or Bump. Easy!

Most of us have access to the same files found in the latest OTA.. either with a .KDZ or .TOT(Sprint and AT&T refuse to release KDZ files..it seems they would prefer you to not be ale to fix the phone yourself). We can extract the individual partition files from a KDZ/TOT and easily flash them through TWRP. ATT/Sprint users will need leaked TOT files... or something like a pre-patched System.img/Boot.img/Modem.img from a user who has run a modified OTA update... yet managed to keep/regain root. More on that possibly in the future.

The main things we want out of a new OTA update:
A. Radio/Modem.img - although newer isn't always better
B. Kernel/Boot.img - this is often where root is blocked in new updates. But update manually and it no longer matters since we can root system through TWRP.
C. Rom/System.img - this is where most of the "fixes" in updates happen.. and what most people want from an OTA.
D. *Optional: Bootloader stack/Aboot.img,SBL1.img, DBI.img, LAF.img, RPM.img, TZ.img - this is where downgrading and Bump could be blocked. Avoid updating for now unless you are 110% sure you know what you're doing.
How-To Block and Remove OTA Updates

If you are flashing custom roms in TWRP.. I'd expect OTA updates to already be removed. If you get an OTA update while running a custom flashable rom be sure to ask the dev why he can't make a proper custom rom that keeps you safe from OTA updates.

Block
Open LG Hidden Menu (3845#*851#) --> WLAN Test --> OTA Setting --> Disable
*Replace "851" with your devices model number, 850, 852, 855 etc.

This seems to only work on D851, D851 and D855 versions (possibly D857/8/9 and F400). AT&T, Verizon and Sprint users have reported the Hidden Menu method does not work. If you have one of those devices you can use a RootExplorer-type app to find the OTA related APK and rename the file to ____.apk.bak or use Titanium Backup to freeze it. If using Titanium Backup look for com.lge.lgfota.permission, OTA or System Update and freeze it. If looking for apk and odex file to rename.. search for OTA or FOTA or LGDMSClient.. etc

If you see an "Apps update" that just might be the "LG Apps" and not a firmware update. Updating LG apps is safe.. firmware is not (if you want to be able to maintain root/mods).

Remove OTA Update(and notification)
If an OTA notification is on your device you most likely already have the OTA file on your phone. If rooted, you can remove the OTA files and get rid of that annoying notification.

Updates are found in the /cache/ folder on your phone. Using a RootExplorer-type app(or ES File Explorer) browse to the root of your phone(NOT the root of your internal storage, /sdcard/, but the actual phone). If using ES File Explorer you may have to use the "show hidden files" option and grant the app root. You will see the update .zip file in cache if you did everything correctly. If no one has already uploaded the OTA zip.. copy the update to your sdcard and then upload for everyone else. Now delete the zip file from /cache/.

Deleting the file in /cache/ will get rid of the OTA but will not get rid of the notification. To get rid of notification:
1. Pull the notification shade down on your phone
2. Long press on the OTA notification until you see the App Info option pop up.
3. Click App Info and uncheck the Show Notifications box.

How-To Download Updates and Extract KDZ/TOT Files

1. Easiest way to obtain updates would be to look in this around XDA in your proper subforum for an update already posted by someone else. With Bump, many flashable rom zips will be popping up. Roms usually contain "system" and "boot"... which are two of the three things we generally want from an update. The third being the modem.. which is never included in a flashable rom and often not required to be updated. If you want the updated modem you will have to look around for the file or use the steps below to get it yourself.

2. If there is a new OTA update, no one has already posted the updated flashable files and you can't wait any longer... it is time to take matters into your own hands. Instead of giving in and taking the official OTA or begging others for help.. download the updated KDZ for your device yourself. And NO, we will NOT be not flashing the full KDZ.. we are just taking some files from it.

You can get your devices KDZ by visiting THIS LINK and entering in your MEID or IMEI.. it will give you a link to the latest available KDZ from LG. Sometimes KDZ files take a few days to show up after the OTA.. give it a little time. Do not beg in thread for KDZ files. Help yourself or wait for someone to post the files you were looking for.

It is encouraged to share not only KDZ and TOT files... but the extracted System/Boot/Modem images you extract from them as well. Only one person needs to download a KDZ per DeviceVariant/SoftwareVersion... that person can then share and everyone else just downloads from their link. You no longer have to be a "rom dev" of even know how to make a flashable zip to help share updates with others.

Anyway... to extract these partitions after downloading the KDZ/tot you can check out the following posts for scripts/tools to make things easy:
a. CLICK HERE [Tool][python] LG Compressed KDZ Extractor - by thecubed Script to extract partitions from KDZ.
b. CLICK HERE SystemMerger.py - by cybojenix Script to merge split system files from extracted KDZ.
c. CLICK HERE [TOOL]LG Bin Firmware Extractor - by xonar_ Script to extract TOT files and merge system.img's into one.
d. CLICK HERE [TOOL] KDZ and TOT Extractor - by bullghost Windows tool, adds all features of the scripts above with an easy to use UI.

invisiblek has updated xonar_'s LGBinExtractor to work with some more G3 devices - https://github.com/invisiblek/LGBinExtractor

If you have a question about an extraction tool be sure to read everything in the 4 threads. Post in the above threads if your question is still unanswered. Between the 5 extraction links above you can extract any G3 KDZ/TOT on Linux, OSX or Windows.

And remember, the main partitions we want from the TOT or KDZ: modem, boot and system.

Alternatively you can extract the KDZ directly on your phone -- click HERE.

Since more than a few people are having issues manually extracting... I will show an example that came from this thread and how to correct it:

KDZFileTools.py -f D85510L_00.kdz -x
[!] Error: Unsupported KDZ file format.
[ ] Expected: 0x28 0x5 0x0 0x0 0x34 0x31 0x25 0x80 ,
but received 0x28 0x5 0x0 0x0 0x24 0x38 0x22 0x25

Two things wrong here... first, the command is incorrect. when using the KDZFileTools.py "-x" is not used.. you want "-s 0" to extract the DZ.
Example:
Code:
python KDZFileTools.py -f D85510L_00.kdz -s 0

The second error is the "Expected.. but received" message. To fix this just open the .py script up in a proper text editor(notepad++ on windows for example).. find "x28x05x00x00x34x31x25x80" in the script...

replace it with "x28x05x00x00x24x38x22x25" (or whatever string is given after the "but received" output.. use logic) then save script.
rerun script. DZ will now extract into the "kdzextracted" folder. Once that finishes extracting you can use the Windows GUI tool to extract the .DZ file into individual partitions (and merge system). Or you can continue using the manual script methods.

To manually extract the DZ you're going to now use the DZFileTools.py script to split the DZ file (that's in the kdzextracted folder) into individual partitions.
Example:
Code:
python DZFileTools.py -f kdzextracted/D85510l_00.dz -x

that command will extract all your partitions into the dzextracted folder. Now drop the SystemMerger.py - by cybojenix file linked above into the dzextracted folder.. cd into the dzextracted folder and run that script to merge all the split system partitions into one system file.
Code:
python SystemMerger.py

All done.. you now have the boot, modem and full system.img to flash on your phone (along with every other partitions that comes with a kdz). :good:

3. Other methods for obtaining updated files would be grabbing the OTA update zip from the /cache folder and trying to pull files out of that.. or having an "in" and getting some leaked files or TOT. Sprint and AT&T users would benefit most from a leaked updated TOT.

Where-To Download KDZ Files

In this section I want to start a collection of all the latest KDZ files for all G3 devices.
You can help me out by either posting your KDZ link with FULL info about the KDZ/DEVICE..
Example of a helpful post:
derp said:

OR you can PM/Private Message me your IMEI so I can look up all the models and latest KDZ's myself. This would help me the most but I understand the security concern. If security is an issue.. you could leave the last 3 digits off the end so I dont have your exact #. If you trust me.. please consider sending me your IMEI if you own one of the devices I need listed below...
KDZ Links Below
Team Codefire had to come through once again and supply TOT files to the USA carriers that provide no public KDZ (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon)

AS985 (USA Regional) - NEED IMEI
D850 (USA AT&T) - 10D TOT (AT&T has no public KDZ files. Feel free to complain to them.)
D850PR (Puerto Rico Claro) - NEED IMEI
D851 (USA T-Mobile) - 10M KDZ
D852 (Canada) - NEED IMEI for D852 Bell, D852 Rogers and D852G
D855 (Europe) - 10L Netherlands 16GB | 10L Germany 16GB NEED MORE IMEIS
D855AR (Argentina) - NEED IMEI
D855K (Australia) - NEED IMEI
D855P (Brazil / Mexico) - NEED IMEI
D855TR (Turkey) - NEED IMEI
D857 (China) - 10C KDZ NEED IMEI STILL
D858 (China / Hong Kong) - NEED IMEI D858 and D858HK
D859 (China) - NEED IMEI
F400 (Korea)- F400L 20E,
LS990 (USA Sprint) - ZV4 TOT (Sprint has no public KDZ files. Feel free to complain to them.)
US990 (USA US Cellular) - 10C KDZ
VS985 (USA Verizon) - 12B

How-To Manually Flash/Update Device w/ System.img, Boot.img and Modem.img

1. You downloaded a custom rom flashable zip a rom has made for the community. Roms contain "system" and "boot"
Flash these in TWRP and follow any instructions in the thread/post where you downloaded it. Rom questions belong in those specific rom threads.
You may have to wipe data/factory reset in TWRP, depending on rom.. or you may need to flash a gapps zip if using an aosp-type rom.. etc..
There's no need to worry about OTA's using this route. Proper custom roms will never include the bootloader stack or anything that could remove your bootloader unlock. And just about all custom roms come with a pre-rooted "system" so you don't have to worry about root either. Remember to make a backup in TWRP before flashing anything.

2. You obtained some boot.img,modem.img,system.img files... either extracting from TOT/KDZ yourself or downloaded files another XDA member has uploaded. This method is something you can do all by yourself... no help from a dev needed. To make this method just as easy as flashing a custom rom zip in method #1.. I have made 3 flashable zip files - [Flash2System.zip, Flash2Boot.zip and Flash2Modem.zip]
Download them to your phone using the link below then follow the directions that follow...
DOWNLOAD FLASH2 FILES FROM CODEFIRE HERE

A. Make a new folder on your internal sdcard called: flash2
B. Download and place Flash2System.zip, Flash2Boot.zip and Flash2Modem.zip on your phone. Internal/external sdcard.
C. Stick system.img, boot.img and modem.img into the /sdcard/flash2/ folder. Files must be named system.img, boot.img and modem.img
D. Create backup's in TWRP.
E. In TWRP, flash Flash2System.zip and/or Flash2Boot.zip and/or Flash2Modem.zip to install your updated images.
F. If you have flashed a stock system.img you will need root. After the flash completes press Reboot System and TWRP will ask if you want root. Go thru the process in TWRP then reboot. After booting you may have a notification to finalize root. Few more clicks and you're rooted... it's that easy. No more worrying if root is patched in the latest OTA update... or having to undo everything you changed in stock so that the OTA doesn't brick you.

Flash2*.zip didn't work? Make sure your system/boot/modem.img files are in the /sdcard/flash2/ folder. Internal sdcard!

How-To Properly Share KDZ/TOT and other Update Files

If you have a new KDZ or have already extracted the KDZ.. please share it with the rest of us in this thread! Please post the KDZ link along with the exact model, region software version and size. Example: D855 Germany 10L 16GB KDZ.

If you want to share your extracted system.img, boot.img and modem.img files please upload them somewhere and share the link. Please specify if you would like others to mirror your files or not (if hosting them on personal server).

Please label all shared files properly! Name them appropriately with boot, modem or system in the name.. as well as the FULL model and software version. Entering my IMEI into the KDZ generator from the last section I can see my device info such as: LGD851TN and D85110M_00. Exact models and software versions are important so other users know which files they need to flash and which to avoid. You should only flash files for your exact device variant. An example name based on my info above: LGD851TN_10M_00_Boot.img (this can be renamed later to boot.img once downloaded or placed on sdcard).

More G3 Flash2 Threads:
[FIX] Stuck in Custom Recovery [TWRP/CWM] (After trying OTA)

[EFS] LG G3 EFS Backup and Restore

XDA:DevDB Information
Flash2, Tool/Utility for the LG G3

Contributors
autoprime

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1.0

Created 2014-10-18
Last Updated 2014-12-11

Last edited:

RandomPooka

Oct 14, 2010
Kent, OH
Nice. On the LS990 (Sprint), it appears that the APK responsible for OTA is titled "com.lge.lgfota.permission" version 4.4.2-LS990ZV41403169216

If I'm looking at the wrong app, someone please correct me, so that other users don't freeze this app and think they're covered, but I froze it and rebooted with no problems.

I also had to run the command line "am start com.lge.hiddenmenu ....[etcetera]" to get into the OTA enable/disable screen.

cali4nia831

Dec 12, 2010
I have Verizon and after i enter : am start com.lge.hiddenmenu/.wlan_service.wifi_ota_buttons in to adb i get an error:
WARNING: linker: app_process has text relocations. This is wasting memory and is a security risk. Please Fix.
WARNING: linker: app_process has text relocations. This is wasting memory and is a security risk. Please Fix.
starting: intent {act=android.intent.acton.MAIN cat =[android.intent.category.LAUNCHER] cmp=com.lge.hiddenmenu/.wlan_service.wifi_ota_buttons} does not exist.

autoprime

Jun 23, 2010
I have Verizon and after i enter : am start com.lge.hiddenmenu/.wlan_service.wifi_ota_buttons in to adb i get an error:
starting: intent {act=android.intent.acton.MAIN cat =[android.intent.category.LAUNCHER] cmp=com.lge.hiddenmenu/.wlan_service.wifi_ota_buttons} does not exist.

did you install the hiddenmenu.apk as the link instructed?

then entered the following commands like the URL says:
Code:
adb shell
su
am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.lge.hiddenmenu/com.lge.hiddenmenu.HiddenMenu

which should then give you the hidden menu where you can "WLAN Test --> OTA Setting --> OFF"

cali4nia831

Dec 12, 2010
Yes I did install the apk as instructed. It does open up the hidden menu after i enter those commands and after that error message but there is no WLAN TEST in the hidden menu that i can see.

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

did you install the hiddenmenu.apk as the link instructed?

then entered the following commands like the URL says:
Code:
adb shell
su
am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.lge.hiddenmenu/com.lge.hiddenmenu.HiddenMenu

which should then give you the hidden menu where you can "WLAN Test --> OTA Setting --> OFF"

Okay so i got it to the hidden menu to pop up as well as OTA enable/disable page even though it still gives me the same error message. I tap ENABLE and it says ENABLE but then i go back to the hidden menu and it still isn't listed...

EDIT:
Ended up just renaming the LGFOTA.apk file listed in the first reply above. So I should be good to go...

Last edited:

autoprime

Jun 23, 2010
Yes I did install the apk as instructed. It does open up the hidden menu after i enter those commands and after that error message but there is no WLAN TEST in the hidden menu that i can see.

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

Okay so i got it to the hidden menu to pop up as well as OTA enable/disable page even though it still gives me the same error message. I tap ENABLE and it says ENABLE but then i go back to the hidden menu and it still isn't listed...

Don't tap Enable.. Tap Disable... and that's it. OTA disabled... off.. all done.

G

GuestK00280

First of all, thanks for the guide! It will help a lot of users in preserving bump and root :)

I don't think that leaving boot/etc .img out will help. LG engineers aren't stupid. The can, for example, do it like this: after "m" update all our phones will reflash aboot/etc partitions to patched versions on 1 jan 2015. The partition's images will be hidden in some big system file, while the waiting daemon will be hidden in, for example, healthd. We will never discover it until it's too late. GG WP.
That said, I really doubt that they will do it that way, but this is still a possibility. I guess i'll flash AOSP/CM/OMNI/smthing rom ASAP.

Last edited:

android-incredible

Apr 23, 2011
i deleted system updates with tibu should i delete LGFOTA.apk? under system,etc security there are a file named otacerts.zip should i delete that one to.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Manual Updating: How-To Preserve Root Access and Bootloader Unlock!

update... as of Nov 10 2014:
    Official Lollipop for D855 and F400 has come out... following my instructions here you can still get bump'd - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=56650179&postcount=59

So far, no anti-rollback in sight but I would still be careful of future updates.. and all other G3 devices models should be careful before taking an OTA (AT&T/Verizon... maybe).

Follow the steps above and you will ALWAYS have access to root/bump and flash anything you want.

This thread assumes you are already rooted, have TWRP installed and can read English.
    If you have those 3 covered the rest is EASY as long as you read.
    If you are unsure of any terms used in this post please search XDA/Google instead of asking in here.

Background
    I'll get this out of the way right now... if you do not care about having access to Bump or root you can ignore all of this and continue to take LG's OTA updates. One could argue that taking OTA updates is required to maintain any level of safety/security... but that goes out the window once you start rooting and installing recovery/roms anyway. Regardless, I am not telling anyone not to update. But if you do update... do it manually. As of Oct 18 2014, every single G3 variant has root and bootloader unlock.. either out of the box(D851) or thanks to Bump. There is no need to ever take an OTA from here on out. The latest D855 and F400 OTA updates have blocked TowelRoot, IORoot and even Stump.. pretty sure only PurpleDrake works on them for now... I would expect PurpleDrake to be patched soon enough. And with official Lollipop updates coming root will only get harder. But.. as long as we install everything through TWRP manually we can update while keeping root/unlock/Bump.

Yes, we can downgrade using LG FlashTool but that could be blocked at any time with an OTA update to prevent rollback(Samsung does this).
    Yes, it's possible to complete an OTA upgrade and maintain root but there is no way to know for sure if root will stick. And the OTA is upgrading the bootloader. Why gamble? This post is just a suggestion on how to stay updated without locking yourself out of anything... but it's not a rule. Just one of many options you can take. But if you do lose root or bootloader unlock after an OTA... don't go asking any devs when then next root tool is coming out or if there's a magical way to downgrade the bootloader.
    Overview
    With all that said... now that we're all rooted and unlocked I decided to make a thread on how to:
    1. Block OTA updates and remove OTA packages and that annoying notification. Easy!
    2. Download updates manually.. no OTA zip needed. Easy!
    3. Manually flash updates without losing root or Bump. Easy!

Most of us have access to the same files found in the latest OTA.. either with a .KDZ or .TOT(Sprint and AT&T refuse to release KDZ files..it seems they would prefer you to not be ale to fix the phone yourself). We can extract the individual partition files from a KDZ/TOT and easily flash them through TWRP. ATT/Sprint users will need leaked TOT files... or something like a pre-patched System.img/Boot.img/Modem.img from a user who has run a modified OTA update... yet managed to keep/regain root. More on that possibly in the future.

The main things we want out of a new OTA update:
    A. Radio/Modem.img - although newer isn't always better
    B. Kernel/Boot.img - this is often where root is blocked in new updates. But update manually and it no longer matters since we can root system through TWRP.
    C. Rom/System.img - this is where most of the "fixes" in updates happen.. and what most people want from an OTA.
    D. *Optional: Bootloader stack/Aboot.img,SBL1.img, DBI.img, LAF.img, RPM.img, TZ.img - this is where downgrading and Bump could be blocked. Avoid updating for now unless you are 110% sure you know what you're doing.
    How-To Block and Remove OTA Updates

If you are flashing custom roms in TWRP.. I'd expect OTA updates to already be removed. If you get an OTA update while running a custom flashable rom be sure to ask the dev why he can't make a proper custom rom that keeps you safe from OTA updates.

Block
    Open LG Hidden Menu (3845#*851#) --> WLAN Test --> OTA Setting --> Disable
    *Replace "851" with your devices model number, 850, 852, 855 etc.

This seems to only work on D851, D851 and D855 versions (possibly D857/8/9 and F400). AT&T, Verizon and Sprint users have reported the Hidden Menu method does not work. If you have one of those devices you can use a RootExplorer-type app to find the OTA related APK and rename the file to ____.apk.bak or use Titanium Backup to freeze it. If using Titanium Backup look for com.lge.lgfota.permission, OTA or System Update and freeze it. If looking for apk and odex file to rename.. search for OTA or FOTA or LGDMSClient.. etc

If you see an "Apps update" that just might be the "LG Apps" and not a firmware update. Updating LG apps is safe.. firmware is not (if you want to be able to maintain root/mods).

Remove OTA Update(and notification)
    If an OTA notification is on your device you most likely already have the OTA file on your phone. If rooted, you can remove the OTA files and get rid of that annoying notification.

Updates are found in the /cache/ folder on your phone. Using a RootExplorer-type app(or ES File Explorer) browse to the root of your phone(NOT the root of your internal storage, /sdcard/, but the actual phone). If using ES File Explorer you may have to use the "show hidden files" option and grant the app root. You will see the update .zip file in cache if you did everything correctly. If no one has already uploaded the OTA zip.. copy the update to your sdcard and then upload for everyone else. Now delete the zip file from /cache/.

Deleting the file in /cache/ will get rid of the OTA but will not get rid of the notification. To get rid of notification:
    1. Pull the notification shade down on your phone
    2. Long press on the OTA notification until you see the App Info option pop up.
    3. Click App Info and uncheck the Show Notifications box.

How-To Download Updates and Extract KDZ/TOT Files

1. Easiest way to obtain updates would be to look in this around XDA in your proper subforum for an update already posted by someone else. With Bump, many flashable rom zips will be popping up. Roms usually contain "system" and "boot"... which are two of the three things we generally want from an update. The third being the modem.. which is never included in a flashable rom and often not required to be updated. If you want the updated modem you will have to look around for the file or use the steps below to get it yourself.

2. If there is a new OTA update, no one has already posted the updated flashable files and you can't wait any longer... it is time to take matters into your own hands. Instead of giving in and taking the official OTA or begging others for help.. download the updated KDZ for your device yourself. And NO, we will NOT be not flashing the full KDZ.. we are just taking some files from it.

You can get your devices KDZ by visiting THIS LINK and entering in your MEID or IMEI.. it will give you a link to the latest available KDZ from LG. Sometimes KDZ files take a few days to show up after the OTA.. give it a little time. Do not beg in thread for KDZ files. Help yourself or wait for someone to post the files you were looking for.

It is encouraged to share not only KDZ and TOT files... but the extracted System/Boot/Modem images you extract from them as well. Only one person needs to download a KDZ per DeviceVariant/SoftwareVersion... that person can then share and everyone else just downloads from their link. You no longer have to be a "rom dev" of even know how to make a flashable zip to help share updates with others.

Anyway... to extract these partitions after downloading the KDZ/tot you can check out the following posts for scripts/tools to make things easy:
    a. CLICK HERE [Tool][python] LG Compressed KDZ Extractor - by thecubed Script to extract partitions from KDZ.
    b. CLICK HERE SystemMerger.py - by cybojenix Script to merge split system files from extracted KDZ.
    c. CLICK HERE [TOOL]LG Bin Firmware Extractor - by xonar_ Script to extract TOT files and merge system.img's into one.
    d. CLICK HERE [TOOL] KDZ and TOT Extractor - by bullghost Windows tool, adds all features of the scripts above with an easy to use UI.

invisiblek has updated xonar_'s LGBinExtractor to work with some more G3 devices - https://github.com/invisiblek/LGBinExtractor

If you have a question about an extraction tool be sure to read everything in the 4 threads. Post in the above threads if your question is still unanswered. Between the 5 extraction links above you can extract any G3 KDZ/TOT on Linux, OSX or Windows.

And remember, the main partitions we want from the TOT or KDZ: modem, boot and system.

Alternatively you can extract the KDZ directly on your phone -- click HERE.

Since more than a few people are having issues manually extracting... I will show an example that came from this thread and how to correct it:

KDZFileTools.py -f D85510L_00.kdz -x
    [!] Error: Unsupported KDZ file format.
    [ ] Expected: 0x28 0x5 0x0 0x0 0x34 0x31 0x25 0x80 ,
    but received 0x28 0x5 0x0 0x0 0x24 0x38 0x22 0x25

Two things wrong here... first, the command is incorrect. when using the KDZFileTools.py "-x" is not used.. you want "-s 0" to extract the DZ.
    Example:
    Code:
    python KDZFileTools.py -f D85510L_00.kdz -s 0

The second error is the "Expected.. but received" message. To fix this just open the .py script up in a proper text editor(notepad++ on windows for example).. find "x28x05x00x00x34x31x25x80" in the script...

replace it with "x28x05x00x00x24x38x22x25" (or whatever string is given after the "but received" output.. use logic) then save script.
    rerun script. DZ will now extract into the "kdzextracted" folder. Once that finishes extracting you can use the Windows GUI tool to extract the .DZ file into individual partitions (and merge system). Or you can continue using the manual script methods.

To manually extract the DZ you're going to now use the DZFileTools.py script to split the DZ file (that's in the kdzextracted folder) into individual partitions.
    Example:
    Code:
    python DZFileTools.py -f kdzextracted/D85510l_00.dz -x

that command will extract all your partitions into the dzextracted folder. Now drop the SystemMerger.py - by cybojenix file linked above into the dzextracted folder.. cd into the dzextracted folder and run that script to merge all the split system partitions into one system file.
    Code:
    python SystemMerger.py

All done.. you now have the boot, modem and full system.img to flash on your phone (along with every other partitions that comes with a kdz). :good:

3. Other methods for obtaining updated files would be grabbing the OTA update zip from the /cache folder and trying to pull files out of that.. or having an "in" and getting some leaked files or TOT. Sprint and AT&T users would benefit most from a leaked updated TOT.

Where-To Download KDZ Files

In this section I want to start a collection of all the latest KDZ files for all G3 devices.
    You can help me out by either posting your KDZ link with FULL info about the KDZ/DEVICE..
    Example of a helpful post:
    derp said:

OR you can PM/Private Message me your IMEI so I can look up all the models and latest KDZ's myself. This would help me the most but I understand the security concern. If security is an issue.. you could leave the last 3 digits off the end so I dont have your exact #. If you trust me.. please consider sending me your IMEI if you own one of the devices I need listed below...
    KDZ Links Below
    Team Codefire had to come through once again and supply TOT files to the USA carriers that provide no public KDZ (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon)

AS985 (USA Regional) - NEED IMEI
    D850 (USA AT&T) - 10D TOT (AT&T has no public KDZ files. Feel free to complain to them.)
    D850PR (Puerto Rico Claro) - NEED IMEI
    D851 (USA T-Mobile) - 10M KDZ
    D852 (Canada) - NEED IMEI for D852 Bell, D852 Rogers and D852G
    D855 (Europe) - 10L Netherlands 16GB | 10L Germany 16GB NEED MORE IMEIS
    D855AR (Argentina) - NEED IMEI
    D855K (Australia) - NEED IMEI
    D855P (Brazil / Mexico) - NEED IMEI
    D855TR (Turkey) - NEED IMEI
    D857 (China) - 10C KDZ NEED IMEI STILL
    D858 (China / Hong Kong) - NEED IMEI D858 and D858HK
    D859 (China) - NEED IMEI
    F400 (Korea)- F400L 20E,
    LS990 (USA Sprint) - ZV4 TOT (Sprint has no public KDZ files. Feel free to complain to them.)
    US990 (USA US Cellular) - 10C KDZ
    VS985 (USA Verizon) - 12B

How-To Manually Flash/Update Device w/ System.img, Boot.img and Modem.img

1. You downloaded a custom rom flashable zip a rom has made for the community. Roms contain "system" and "boot"
    Flash these in TWRP and follow any instructions in the thread/post where you downloaded it. Rom questions belong in those specific rom threads.
    You may have to wipe data/factory reset in TWRP, depending on rom.. or you may need to flash a gapps zip if using an aosp-type rom.. etc..
    There's no need to worry about OTA's using this route. Proper custom roms will never include the bootloader stack or anything that could remove your bootloader unlock. And just about all custom roms come with a pre-rooted "system" so you don't have to worry about root either. Remember to make a backup in TWRP before flashing anything.

2. You obtained some boot.img,modem.img,system.img files... either extracting from TOT/KDZ yourself or downloaded files another XDA member has uploaded. This method is something you can do all by yourself... no help from a dev needed. To make this method just as easy as flashing a custom rom zip in method #1.. I have made 3 flashable zip files - [Flash2System.zip, Flash2Boot.zip and Flash2Modem.zip]
    Download them to your phone using the link below then follow the directions that follow...
    DOWNLOAD FLASH2 FILES FROM CODEFIRE HERE

A. Make a new folder on your internal sdcard called: flash2
    B. Download and place Flash2System.zip, Flash2Boot.zip and Flash2Modem.zip on your phone. Internal/external sdcard.
    C. Stick system.img, boot.img and modem.img into the /sdcard/flash2/ folder. Files must be named system.img, boot.img and modem.img
    D. Create backup's in TWRP.
    E. In TWRP, flash Flash2System.zip and/or Flash2Boot.zip and/or Flash2Modem.zip to install your updated images.
    F. If you have flashed a stock system.img you will need root. After the flash completes press Reboot System and TWRP will ask if you want root. Go thru the process in TWRP then reboot. After booting you may have a notification to finalize root. Few more clicks and you're rooted... it's that easy. No more worrying if root is patched in the latest OTA update... or having to undo everything you changed in stock so that the OTA doesn't brick you.

Flash2*.zip didn't work? Make sure your system/boot/modem.img files are in the /sdcard/flash2/ folder. Internal sdcard!

How-To Properly Share KDZ/TOT and other Update Files

If you have a new KDZ or have already extracted the KDZ.. please share it with the rest of us in this thread! Please post the KDZ link along with the exact model, region software version and size. Example: D855 Germany 10L 16GB KDZ.

If you want to share your extracted system.img, boot.img and modem.img files please upload them somewhere and share the link. Please specify if you would like others to mirror your files or not (if hosting them on personal server).

Please label all shared files properly! Name them appropriately with boot, modem or system in the name.. as well as the FULL model and software version. Entering my IMEI into the KDZ generator from the last section I can see my device info such as: LGD851TN and D85110M_00. Exact models and software versions are important so other users know which files they need to flash and which to avoid. You should only flash files for your exact device variant. An example name based on my info above: LGD851TN_10M_00_Boot.img (this can be renamed later to boot.img once downloaded or placed on sdcard).

More G3 Flash2 Threads:
    [FIX] Stuck in Custom Recovery [TWRP/CWM] (After trying OTA)

[EFS] LG G3 EFS Backup and Restore

XDA:DevDB Information
    Flash2, Tool/Utility for the LG G3

Contributors
    autoprime

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.0

Created 2014-10-18
    Last Updated 2014-12-11
    I was hoping it might be that easy, but wanted to make sure first.
    I had an issue with the .zip files, seemed to download but they weren't right, they gave me an error whilst flashing. Got them down in the end and all working fine now. Thanks for this thread, and also the quick responses , much appreciated.
    I can see myself having storage issues in the future, I've got a 16gb D855, so luckily I had enough space this time, but the system.img was nearly 2.5gb, which might stop these flashes working in the future.
    If I wanted to point the Flash2System.zip at the external sd card, could I just unpack, edit setup/script.sh , and then repack it ?

yup.. that's doable. I just default to the internal SD card because everyone has it.. and it's usually faster than the average users microSD card.

and on an unrelated note...
    ATTENTION:

I have seen LG testing anti-rollback on G3's. I cannot confirm if it will actually come in the next OTA updates.. only time will tell.. but they are certainly setting up test units with anti-rollback... as recent as Oct 25th. I won't speculate any more.. nor will I go into any more details... but just a warning.. it looks like something might be coming. If you aren't careful.. you may lose bump for good... and possibly root for a long time.

NO OTA!!! Spread the word. :highfive:
    Solved! Root, Properly Bumped boot.img, and Bumped TWRP - D858HK

Hiya.. congrats on root! If you flashed the D858HK 20c aboot.img then you will lose BUMP.. which means you would not be able to use TWRP or any custom kernel.

For the other G3 variants the trick was to leave the stock KK aboot.img on the phone... then you would take the D858HK 20c boot.img and BUMP it... and then flash the 20c system.img, 20c modem.img and the BUMP'd 20c boot.img. The stock KK aboot should work with a BUMP'd D858HK boot.img... the BUMP "signature" should pass all checks and then boot.

If you keep stock KK aboot.img on but flash a stock un-BUMP'd boot.img then it will get the "certification verify" error due to the signatures changing from KK to L.

If you did try the BUMP'd D858HK 20c boot.img with the original KK aboot.img and got a booting error then it is possible that "open bump" is not patching the file properly. We do not support open bump so it is hard to say for sure.

If you want TWRP back you will HAVE to flash the KK aboot.img back... then the BUMP'd TWRP you had installed should work again. Then you will need to figure out how to properly patch the stock 20c boot.img with BUMP so that it works with the KK aboot.img. :good:

Thanks for the inputs @autoprime. :)

That was my intuition as well and your response helped me to confirm and formalize my findings/experiment. It was intentional (deductive reasoning) that I flashed the Lollipop (version 20C) "aboot.img". Much appreciated.

Indeed, I tried to reflash the Kitkat (version 10F - I extracted it using the same procedure) "aboot.img" and it restored my "bumped" TWRP functionality...but of course again, I wasn't able to boot fully to Android. I got stuck again at that "certificate verify" error booting screen.

Yup, unfortunately even if I flashed a "bumped" boot.img on a Kitkat aboot.img, I got the "certificate verify" error. This confirms your statement that "bump" is not patching properly.

So as of this point, what I have accomplished is just rooting at the expense of losing/not being able to install a custom recovery ("bumped" TWRP). Not ideal, but still a big leap for D858HK users, I would say, and considering all those were the efforts of a regular user (non-developer).

Which leads me to ask some questions:

1. What is "open bump"? Is that different from (this "bump" thread)?
    2. This is how I "bump" all my boot.img files (Kitkat version boot.img and Lollipop version boot.img) and custom recovery .img files (e.g. TWRP) - click me! <--is this the "open bump" that you are referring to? Or is it also "bump"? I used this method because unfortunately, I am already late in the game of owning an LG G3...by the time I came across "bump" the online "bumping" service no longer exists.

...you will need to figure out how to properly patch the stock 20c boot.img with BUMP so that it works with the KK aboot.img.

I would like to learn how to do this, sir. I am comfortable in using Linux and the Terminal/Command Line, if that helps. I know how to do basic patching of files as a Linux user and create simple ".sh" scripts (not sure if this level of knowledge will be helpful).

Or if not, may I request help in properly patching the "boot.img" of D858HK Lollipop (version 20C)? I am not sure if different LG G3 variants have different "boot.img" files. The only difference I see in the D858HK is that it is dual-SIM, all specs are the same. In fact, whenever I plug my device to a PC while in TWRP, the PC reads it as a D855 variant.

Or...any kind soul who is willing to properly "bump" the boot.img of D858HK Lollipop (version 20C), please? I uploaded the boot.img, aboot.img, and "bumped" boot.img that I did (D858HK Lollipop, version 20C) here - click me!

UPDATE: Issue resolved!!! The LG G3 D858HK is now certified for Root, Bump'd boot.img, and Bump'd TWRP in Lollipop (version 20C)!!!

Hi @autoprime,

As you mentioned, I needed to find a way to properly patch ("bump") the boot.img of D858HK Lollipop (version 20C), and apparently I accidentally found a way!

How?

The "Oversharpening Fix" Script/Mod by @Skin1980 includes the process of properly bumping a Lollipop-based boot.img!

To document my findings (continuing from our recent posts and conversation):

1. While in Android, reflashed the Kitkat version (10F) aboot.img (ABOOT.IMG, and not boot.img!). You can get this by extracting a Kitkat KDZ using the KDZ/TOT Extraction tool (see first post of @autoprime in this thread to know where to get it). You will flash it via manual/Terminal method while booted in Android (in short, the "dd if=blah blah blah" command).
    2. While still in Android, reflashed my "bumped" TWRP 2.8.4.0 custom recovery via manual/Terminal method (I bumped it using this procedure).
    3. Make sure that you have a "bumped" Lollipop boot.img (BOOT.IMG!!!) saved to your Internal Storage. You may "bump" it using the link mentioned in Step 2 (I don't know if I had to "bump" it or not, but just to document, my Lollipop boot.img is "bumped"). You will use it in the later steps.
    4. Make sure that you have a copy of the "Oversharpening Fix" Script/Mod saved to your Internal Storage as well. You will need it in the later steps.
    5. Powered off the device.

AT THIS POINT, DO NOT BOOT TO THE ANDROID SYSTEM! YOU WILL JUST GET THE "CERTIFICATE VERIFY" ERROR BECAUSE WE REFLASHED THE KITKAT ABOOT.IMG, AND THE LOLLIPOP BOOT.IMG IS NOT YET BUMPED! SO, THE SYSTEM WILL "COMPLAIN" BECAUSE THEY ARE "NOT MATCHING" (THEY ARE NOT THE "SAME VERSION"). JUST BOOT TO TWRP FIRST!

6. Powered on the device to TWRP (press/hold volume down and power, then quick release and then press/hold again, then choosing "Yes" on both options that appeared)
    7. Flash the Lollipop "bumped" boot.img (BOOT.IMG!!!) that you saved to your device as per Step 3. TWRP 2.8.4.0 has a feature to flash ".img" files. Go to "Install" and then you will see somewhere at the lower right portion of the screen an option to flash either a "Zip" or an "Image". Just toggle that button and you will see your "bumped" boot.img listed. DON'T REBOOT THE DEVICE AT THIS POINT YET!
    8. Flashed the "Oversharpening Fix" Script/Mod. You may need to toggle the option at the lower-right again from "Image" to "Zip" (since we just flashed the "bumped" boot.img) in order to see your listed installable zips.
    9. Choose your desired oversharpening level.
    10. At the end of the procedure, the script/mod will "bump" your Lollipop boot.img. You don't have to do anything; the script/mod will automatically do it for you.
    11. Reboot To Android System!

EDIT: Apologies if my posts seem to be off-topic and long-winded, but I in my opinion they are not off-topic and are necessary. This is because I was trying to solve the issue of keeping root and "bump'd" via the procedure outlined by @autoprime. I believe it is important that I document the mistakes, learnings, and findings because although I have the D858HK, this information may work for other LG G3 variants as well. :)

IMG_20150306_050907.jpg

UPDATE (03.08.2015): here is the documentation. Click me! Video tutorial is not yet finished but will try tomorrow as I'm already sleepy...
    I guess this method doesn't work with lollipop....just tried it and it also boots back to my previous ROM.
    Worked like a charm on Kitkat

LG G3 D855

if system (rom) didnt change then it's due to some sort of bug in the flash2 system zip... but you should have picked up on that due to it only taking few seconds to flash... vs the normal 2-3 minutes it would take to flash a system.img.

flash system manually thru adb shell while in twrp to get around the issue. adb shell commands are the preferred method for myself..
    Code:
    adb shell
    dd if=/sdcard/flash2/system.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system

and for those getting a boot error after flashing to L... you didn't read the text in red at the top of the OP or visit the link it directs to. you need to bump the stock boot.img if using Lollipop system/boot while still on KK bootloader.