Question [PSA] There are newer Nova Launcher apks available than on the play store

Search This thread

mkhcb

Nov 2, 2012
So I was reading reddit when someone pointed out how laggy/buggy Nova was... I too noticed this but thought it was related to the Pixel 6 Pro poor thermal management and throttling of the CPU. However, upon reading their analysis that they tried other launchers with great success + given the fact that I no longer suffer from overheating issues (on Android 13 since yesterday), I looked further into this.

Apparently the beta 8.x version of Nova Launcher seems to support Android 12 and 13. However, the play store has a 9 month old beta version that is 3 versions behind and still stuck in the 7.x apks.

If you want to update your Nova Launcher and make the pixel 6 pro buttery smooth, you might want to consider downloading the most recent beta version from their website: https://novalauncher.com/beta

KOLIOSIS

Not having any problems with Nova 7.x on my P6P, or, any other devices I have (Samsung/OnePlus/ Nokia) & to the best of my memory, never have, at least as far as smoothness/etc.

I'm guessing a lot of people are hesitant to "upgrade" to Nova 8.0,count me in that group :

Reactions: biTToe

mkhcb

Nov 2, 2012
Not having any problems with Nova 7.x on my P6P, or, any other devices I have (Samsung/OnePlus/ Nokia) & to the best of my memory, never have, at least as far as smoothness/etc.

I'm guessing a lot of people are hesitant to "upgrade" to Nova 8.0,count me in that group :

I saw that a few week ago too. But the beta has an opt-in, rather than opt-out approach.

That said, if you are experiencing buttery smooth effects, no gesture issues, no intermittent blank home screens, etc, then there is no need to update. This post was made to help others who experienced the same thing as me.

Up until yesterday/today, my pixel experience had been subpar. But with the new Nova Launcher and Android 13, I have no complaints.

KOLIOSIS

I saw that a few week ago too. But the beta has an opt-in, rather than opt-out approach.

That said, if you are experiencing buttery smooth effects, no gesture issues, no intermittent blank home screens, etc, then there is no need to update. This post was made to help others who experienced the same thing as me.

Up until yesterday/today, my pixel experience had been subpar. But with the new Nova Launcher and Android 13, I have no complaints.
I saw that as well (the opt-in on the analytics).

Perhaps needlessly & unwarrantedly so, I'm still leery of updating.

The best move they made was when they partnered with Razer, how cool that was to have Nova as the stock Launcher (nice phone).

Whenever Nova 7.x becomes incompatible, I might start looking around for a different Launcher.... If for no other reason, just to see what is out there.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I'll keep using the last version of 7.x until I just have to change launchers due to incompatibility/bugs with new Android versions, or Nova miraculously extricates themselves from Branch. I was reasonably calm at first, although I did tell Kevin and company that I would be keeping Nova from updating for the next year and see what things are like at that time.

As these couple of weeks have passed, I feel angrier and angrier that Kevin sold it, and it really doesn't have much bearing that Kevin and company are still primary developers on it. That's very common with any sale such as this, and doesn't mean anything. In this day and age, they should've known better - that no matter how innocent they were convinced the transaction was, that it is likely a Nova-killer.

As these couple of weeks have passed, I feel angrier and angrier that Kevin sold it, and it really doesn't have much bearing that Kevin and company are still primary developers on it. That's very common with any sale such as this, and doesn't mean anything. In this day and age, they should've known better - that no matter how innocent they were convinced the transaction was, that it is likely a Nova-killer.

I'm not going to do anything rash like changing my Play Store's 5-star review to 1-star - yet. Nova was the premier Launcher for so long, I still feel Kevin and company deserve some benefit of the doubt. I don't believe there was any bad intention. I'm sure they spent a long time judging if this was the right move, but I think they convinced themselves that it was the right move when we as users largely know how bad it looks and how many times we users have been burned in the past from similar actions.

The reason I am so angry is that I love Nova so much. I was passionate about it and I recommended it to everyone. Now I'm sad that I cannot in good conscience do so anymore. Although it is too early to tell, and I won't be using v8 myself so I'll be going by other folks' reports, unless something changes in the next year or two, I feel that I'll have no choice but to migrate to another launcher, and I am not one to hop between launchers.

Last edited:

mkhcb

Nov 2, 2012
I'm not happy either with the Branch acquisition but I'll keep using Nova. I don't see any launcher offering so many options. Until I find one I guess?

I've blocked the call to the Branch API anyway so no data will be going to them from my devices.
How did you block the API? I agree, there are no good alternative to Nova, I have looked around and have been under impressed by other launchers.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

KOLIOSIS

I'll keep using the last version of 7.x until I just have to change launchers due to incompatibility/bugs with new Android versions, or Nova miraculously extricates themselves from Branch. I was reasonably calm at first, although I did tell Kevin and company that I would be keeping Nova from updating for the next year and see what things are like at that time.

I'm not going to do anything rash like changing my Play Store's 5-star review to 1-star - yet. Nova was the premier Launcher for so long, I still feel Kevin and company deserve some benefit of the doubt. I don't believe there was any bad intention. I'm sure they spent a long time judging if this was the right move, but I think they convinced themselves that it was the right move when we as users largely know how bad it looks and how many times we users have been burned in the past from similar actions.

The reason I am so angry is that I love Nova so much. I was passionate about it and I recommended it to everyone. Now I'm sad that I cannot in good conscience do so anymore. Although it is too early to tell, and I won't be using v8 myself so I'll be going by other folks' reports, unless something changes in the next year or two, I feel that I'll have no choice but to migrate to another launcher, and I am not one to hop between launchers.

In general, I agree w/your sentiments.

However, I don't begrudge them on what they've done (basically, selling the app to Branch Analytics).

I'm sure the devs didn't make a rash decision & yes, in the end, I'm sure $$$ was a major consideration. In that regard alone, good for them.

Guessing you went Pro w/this app a long time ago (I did) & guessing a lot of other people did as well, whether they paid full price or, got it on the seemingly annual sale price ($1.00 or so).

Either way, I've more than got my money's worth & it's been a good ride.

No bitterness towards the devs at all, but, I'd be lying to say I am looking forward to finding another launcher.

It'll probably be years before 8.0.1 & lower are unusable, so, until then, gonna keep on keeping on.

I've tried countless launchers dating back to Android 2.1 (Eclair).
IIRC, my 1st go-to was Launcher Pro (the Nova of its time, IMHO)

After that, Apex & Holo Launchers (also a seemingly lifetime ago).

Been on Nova ever since, gonna be a strange day, to say the least, when another launcher becomes my DD.

lkhafra

Aug 25, 2009
Columbus
Google Pixel 6 Pro

However, I don't begrudge them on what they've done (basically, selling the app to Branch Analytics).

I'm sure the devs didn't make a rash decision & yes, in the end, I'm sure $$$ was a major consideration. In that regard alone, good for them.

Guessing you went Pro w/this app a long time ago (I did) & guessing a lot of other people did as well, whether they paid full price or, got it on the seemingly annual sale price ($1.00 or so).

No bitterness towards the devs at all, but, I'd be lying to say I am looking forward to finding another launcher.

It'll probably be years before 8.0.1 & lower are unusable, so, until then, gonna keep on keeping on.

Been on Nova ever since, gonna be a strange day, to say the least, when another launcher becomes my DD.
Maaaannnnnn I missed Launcher Pro for the longest time. What ever happened to Federico? It's like he vanished.

Reactions: KOLIOSIS

Barrel Titor

Jul 21, 2015
Vienna
OnePlus X
Huawei P20 Lite
what really happened to nova ? 😶
On July 19th 2022, the creator of Nova Launcher announced that Nova Launcher and Sesame Search has been acquired by "Branch", which is an "analytics enterprise that specializes in deep linking and mobile measurement". They pinky promised that all data gathering and analyzing, will only be used for "research", "development", "expertise" and "feedback", but they (Nova) pretty much tanked their reputation with that move since you can probably imagine how easy it is to track user behaviour, create user profiles and market those to advertisers.

Here's the official announcement: https://novalauncher.com/branch
I've honestly never really heard from them again. I disabled auto-updates for nova in google play because i'm also not willing to use nova with branch, but even so, there are no updates (on play at least).

Reactions: TekHck

BROKEN1981

Dec 27, 2013
ASUS ROG Phone 3
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I see everyone complaining. I'm clueless as to why. Is the company seeing the various 1940's style razors I buy off Amazon? Or my Proraso shave products?
Is it looking at the apps I use the most? YouTube and CourtTv app?
Even if it took my web browsing history, they will see I'm just boring guy. I use Nova on my old Samsung tab. I don't use it on my Pixel.

Also main reason I won't use it on my Pixel is because the widget won't look like stock as pictured.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230719-124846.png
    Screenshot_20230719-124846.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 37

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I was reading reddit when someone pointed out how laggy/buggy Nova was... I too noticed this but thought it was related to the Pixel 6 Pro poor thermal management and throttling of the CPU. However, upon reading their analysis that they tried other launchers with great success + given the fact that I no longer suffer from overheating issues (on Android 13 since yesterday), I looked further into this.

Apparently the beta 8.x version of Nova Launcher seems to support Android 12 and 13. However, the play store has a 9 month old beta version that is 3 versions behind and still stuck in the 7.x apks.

If you want to update your Nova Launcher and make the pixel 6 pro buttery smooth, you might want to consider downloading the most recent beta version from their website: https://novalauncher.com/beta

I saw that as well (the opt-in on the analytics).

Perhaps needlessly & unwarrantedly so, I'm still leery of updating.

The best move they made was when they partnered with Razer, how cool that was to have Nova as the stock Launcher (nice phone).

Whenever Nova 7.x becomes incompatible, I might start looking around for a different Launcher.... If for no other reason, just to see what is out there.