General PSA: There is No OEM Unlock on US Galaxy A53's

Search This thread

tserv95

Mar 1, 2015
Whether you get a carrier version or the factory unlocked U1 model, OEM unlock does not exist on this phone. So those in the US that were thinking of doing custom roms with this cheap new Android device, look elsewhere.

ShaDisNX255

Apr 3, 2014
Matamoros
Samsung Galaxy A52 4G

b1283822

Feb 8, 2017
SamPWNd is dead. Samsung patched it with firmware updates in 2021 (it is in the warnings not to install unpatched firware updates). The website is down. Unless they can find a new exploit in the new firmware, it is not possible.

Samsung has blocked BL unlock for a while. They seem to have shifted their target audience to a different group in recent years. If you really want BL unlock you should pick Pixel.

gav83collins

SamPWNd is dead. Samsung patched it with firmware updates in 2021 (it is in the warnings not to install unpatched firware updates). The website is down. Unless they can find a new exploit in the new firmware, it is not possible.

Samsung has blocked BL unlock for a while. They seem to have shifted their target audience to a different group in recent years. If you really want BL unlock you should pick Pixel.
it doesnt make sense from a business perspective, a regular audience doesnt even know about unlocking a bootloader, so they will be buying the phone regardless if samsungs advertising impress more than the competition, but for us lets say "power users" we know our warranty is void when we oem unlock, and buy making it easier to do it (oem unlock), they are more likely to shift more handsets to our side of the market, not only that but there is more chance of us breaking our devices which in turn gives them more income when we seek samsung official repairs or splash out on a new replacement, i really dont see the logic behind not allowing oem unlock unless its to test the abilities of the likes of chainfire in regards to exposing vulnerabilities

sidestream84

Mar 7, 2011
I bought the phone on sale just a few days before this thread was made (hoping to use it as a fun side-project / second phone to get back into modding- haven't been able to since my Note 5 since the Note 8 was locked). I had assumed getting a non-carrier one would be open but I haven't been able to get OEM Unlock to appear either : /. I even went with the A53 instead of A52 because I thought there was a better chance of having unlock on Exynos than Snapdragon. It's not too late to return but I'm still holding out hope someone can come up with something. I like Samsung hardware (for the most part) but without root... meh.

Willing to try ODINing tars and stuff if anyone has any ideas.

ShaDisNX255

Apr 3, 2014
Matamoros
Samsung Galaxy A52 4G
I bought the phone on sale just a few days before this thread was made (hoping to use it as a fun side-project / second phone to get back into modding- haven't been able to since my Note 5 since the Note 8 was locked). I had assumed getting a non-carrier one would be open but I haven't been able to get OEM Unlock to appear either : /. I even went with the A53 instead of A52 because I thought there was a better chance of having unlock on Exynos than Snapdragon. It's not too late to return but I'm still holding out hope someone can come up with something. I like Samsung hardware (for the most part) but without root... meh.

Exploits could take years to even begin to surface. S8 and S9 come to mind, but their root is so limited with locked bootloaders that it's almost not worth the hassle. I would return it to be honest or try and get an international variant imported. I've traveled to the U.S. with a Mexico variant phone and I got signal just fine, but I don't know how the internet speed compares if you use a U.S. SIM.

Jay1175

Apr 22, 2022
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 2

I switched over from Pixel line just for a Samsung specific feature and a quick google had me certain I would be able to unlock the bootloader and root it. It sucks that its not the case, but I blame awful tech journalism. So many articles that claim their method will work for ALL devices in a family, or even ALL ANDROID devices period.

Exploits could take years to even begin to surface. S8 and S9 come to mind, but their root is so limited with locked bootloaders that it's almost not worth the hassle. I would return it to be honest or try and get an international variant imported. I've traveled to the U.S. with a Mexico variant phone and I got signal just fine, but I don't know how the internet speed compares if you use a U.S. SIM.

Getting an international version isn't worth doing IMO because the 5G bands don't overlap the same way 4G does. I looked in to getting an international model but decided against it as it doesn't support one of the three 5G frequencies used in my town. I figure there's 0 chance of new frequencies being added to the hardware, but always a chance of finding a security flaw to unlock the bootloader.

rinnycoop121

Feb 26, 2010
there are still U.S. Bootloader unlock services, but as of right now the A53 is not supported.

and only certain versions of bootloaders are supported.

Not SamPWND