WARNINGS: READ ALL OF THIS BEFORE CONTINUING
1. All phones If you have unlocked then try to use 2.3.4 update zip from Motorola servers, then revert back to a "pre-unlock" version(1.8.3 or earlier on ATT) you will get bricked! Do not use the OTA via experimental servers and revert to older versions WITHOUT pudding preinstalled in your sbf. ATT ONLY Get your 1.8.3 with pudding from the pudding/unlocker section below.
2. International Phones
3. Chinese A Chinese user bricked his phone after applying a 2.2.2 OTA(over the air) update from his provider. DO NOT USE THIS if you plan to OTA. We need help from other Chinese users to further understand this issue. Read this post and help out your fellow Chinese users, please.
4. Use at your own risk. Have a backup phone, insurance plan or other means of recovering from a possible brick or loss of functionality. You are using experimental software at your own risk.
Works/Does not work list
ATT version 1.8.3 or later: Works
Bell version ??: Warning: Ram See fixes
T-Mobile UK 2.3.3 Warning: Ram See fixes
Orange version ??: Warning: Ram See fixes
Telestra version ??: Warning: Ram See fixes
Brazil version ??: Warning: Ram See fixes
French version 2.1.1: Warning: Ram See fixes
Personal Argentina version ??: Warning: Ram See fixes
Mobifone Korea version ??: Warning: Ram See fixes
Thailand version Froyo 2.2.2: Warning: Ram See fixes
Spanish/Movistar version ??: Warning: Ram See fixes
China version ??: DANGER: Brick after OTA 2.2.2
Update July 23 2011: Full sbf for ATT users available. This sbf includes root in preinstall (don't ask questions, read the post in this link) and pudding pre-loaded. Look for the file with the other pudding files below. Thanks to WiredNix and Brandon15811 for helping find the original sbf, and WiredNix for testing.
Update July 19th 2011: Pudding has been updated to fix memory timing issues that gizmo noticed, thank you eval- for the fix. All ATT users should update pudding. Bell users have updated pudding as well, but memory timing fix is included in the 300mb RAM fix. Update is available thru standard unlock links, as of this posting only diamantephoto.com links have updated pudding.
Who does/doesn't need this.
You need this if:
1) You need to flash custom single partitions such as system, osh, boot.img, recovery, or data.
2) Mainly for testing custom kernels, see number one.
3) You have a real ROM with a custom kernel, like CM7 or MIUI, and want to flash it.
You don't need this if:
1) Number one in the last section doesn't make any sense to you or sounds like gibberish.
2) You wanna show your friends how much cooler or better than them you are.
3) You just want to install P-ROMs and Themes.
Disclaimer: Tested on 1.8.3 and 2.3.4 using sbf_flash and RSDLITE 5.3.1 or higher, usual warnings being responsible for your own actions yada yada
YOU WILL LOSE ALL FILES IN /DATA backup is your friend.
Prepare: If you're in windows land you will need to re-install drivers. Thanks for the link.
RSDLite 5.5 link
x64 Windows drivers
sbf_flash - the linux/mac sbf flasher
Guide for beginners provided by: http://goo.gl/vfUXc
Unlocker only SBFs - These small 1mb SBF files will get your phone ready to fasboot oem unlock. They are the files most people should use.
ATT ONLY - Unlocker for 1.8.3 and 4.5.91 ATT firmwares
Orange/Bell/Telestra/Latin America/International users ONLY - Download IHOP
Full SBFs with unlocker - I do not recommend flashing full SBFs unless you must. please use the smaller files above. These files are ATT ONLY.
http://www.multiupload.com/FLZR9I9CNX - 1.8.3 full sbf with unlocker (why are you using 1.8.3?)
Big thanks to Ratchet1 for risking his phone to test this, also SamCrip and stevendeb for finding the magic update. All the Bell/Orange users should give them a big thank you! Also eval- for making sure I didn't overwrite your bootloader with a CDROM image
Rooting 2.3.4 / Full 1.8.3 clean SBF with BL unlock and preinstall root by Brandon15811, eval- and myself
Fastboot if you don't have it. (Windows)
http://gititbit.ch/FAST - git mirror
Linux 64bit (large file support): http://f.ligux.com/atrix/unlock/moto-fastboot.zip
Linux 32bit (large file support): http://f.ligux.com/atrix/unlock/moto-fastboot32.zip
Edgan's OC kernel
faux123's OC kernel
Kholk's OC kernel
[ROM] CM7 Pre-beta for thread please check : http://modmymobile.com/forums/661-motorola-atrix-4g-development/562977-exp-cyanogenmod-7-1-atrix.html#post4099387
Eval and Unknown's Experimental SBF 2.3.4 Guide
Kennethpenn's AOSP Guide
Edgan's compile your own kernels thread
Tenfar's CWM flashable 2.3.4 hktw
Tentative ram fix for 2.3.x unlocked international users
Navalynt's instant pudding fixer for 2.3.4
This Cardock fix revert's 2.3.4 cardock.apk to 1.8.3. Posted by Joe Ferria
If Titanium Backup destroyed your Fingerprint Scanner settings try this fingerprint fix for most cases.
If your APN list is gone try resetting to default.
If you installed 2.3.4 and webtop is broken:2.3.4 webtop fix thanks to mburlingame
If you have a fix for another issue please pm me with explanation or a link, you will be credited.
Picture of what to do with fastboot. Blurred out spots are my personal code, just so you don't get confused.
Congratulations if you get this: