Purple tint on AT&T screen

Search This thread

akgrown

Mar 13, 2010
As reported at BGR, I too have noticed a slightly purple/red tint to my AT&T N1 vs. the TMO version I've been using on AT&T's network when compared side-by-side. The TMO version almost seems like it has a yellow tint in comparison, and is certainly warmer as far as color temp goes.

Anyone else here in the forum have both versions and can report on how their screens compare? I'm debating whether it's worth sending this back but would first like to know if there are any AT&T screens that do NOT exhibit this appearance when shown side-by-side with the TMO counterpart.

Please share your experience if you own both or can compare to a friend's!

boygeniusreport.com/2010/03/18/google-nexus-one-for-att-shipping-with-bad-displays/
(sorry for not using hyperlink - forum rules for new users)

Pitnefor

Mar 18, 2010
Merced
I just have the AT&T but I LOVE the screen.

The viewing angle, brightness, color pop are the best ive seen on any phone.

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
As reported at BGR, I too have noticed a slightly purple/red tint to my AT&T N1 vs. the TMO version I've been using on AT&T's network when compared side-by-side. The TMO version almost seems like it has a yellow tint in comparison, and is certainly warmer as far as color temp goes.

Anyone else here in the forum have both versions and can report on how their screens compare? I'm debating whether it's worth sending this back but would first like to know if there are any AT&T screens that do NOT exhibit this appearance when shown side-by-side with the TMO counterpart.

Please share your experience if you own both or can compare to a friend's!

boygeniusreport.com/2010/03/18/google-nexus-one-for-att-shipping-with-bad-displays/
(sorry for not using hyperlink - forum rules for new users)

LOL fricken BGR. Such Apple fanboys, publicizing every single negative rumor (without sources or data of course) they can to make Android look bad.

I like the latest guy's comments:

While I generally enjoy reading the latest rumors and non-news on BGR, I have to say that this post is pretty poor. Besides being terribly written (hard to even tell what the writer’s point is after 1st 3 sentences), it is so incredibly vague on details as to be meaningless. What exactly does “We’ve confirmed that this is happening to more than just our device” mean? Is there some reason the author is withholding this important bit of info? Is it one other device, 5, 20, 50? Give me a break. If you’re going to go about leveling claims like this, at least have _some_ semblance of not being total bs, really now. :(

I unsubscribed to BGR in Google Reader months ago after reading this particular piece of /facepalm: http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/01/09/google-android-personal-thoughts/

BGR is nothing but Apple fanboy POS. It's no wonder Marc Flores left to techcrunch.com.

mazzarin

Sep 29, 2008
LOL fricken BGR. Such Apple fanboys, publicizing every single negative rumor (without sources or data of course) they can to make Android look bad.

I like the latest guy's comments:

I unsubscribed to BGR in Google Reader months ago after reading this particular piece of /facepalm: http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/01/09/google-android-personal-thoughts/

BGR is nothing but Apple fanboy POS. It's no wonder Marc Flores left to techcrunch.com.

I've gotta say that while I think he is mistaken on some points, I gotta agree with the feel of the article on that one (the one that made you unsubscribe), and I'm about as anti-Apple as it gets.

akgrown

Mar 13, 2010
Yeah, BGR can be great for product leaks to stay abreast of what's coming down the road, but they can definitely be biased.

It's not the end of the world, and I may not have noticed it if I hadn't put the units side-by-side - just trying to determine if this screen behavior is in the minority and actually a manufacturing defect. I'd be less interested if I hadn't just plunked down $579 ($50 WA sales tax) - you want to get what you pay for!

Mostly I'm just anxious to root this and get CM & the undervolted kernel up and running, like I have on my TMO unit. Don't want to unlock the bootloader though if it's heading back to the GOOG mothership.

Last edited:

rotohammer

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
I got my AT&T N1 yesterday and yes, there is a more noticeable purple hue on its display compared to the 2 month old N1 while on the lowest brightness setting.

Funny thing is, I seem to recall my original N1 having a purple hue on the lowest brightness too, but then that was two months ago. Does the display change over time or am I mistaken?

Either way, I'm not sending the phone back, it's minor.

Last edited:

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
I got my AT&T N1 yesterday and yes, there is a more noticeable purple hue on its display compared to the 2 moth old N1 while on the lowest brightness setting.

Funny thing is, I seem to recall my original N1 having a purple hue on the lowest brightness too, but then that was two months ago. Does the display change over time or am I mistaken?

Either way, I'm not sending the phone back.

Maybe the Nexus One has to age like a fine wine? :D

deekjx

Nov 11, 2008
I see the difference but its not serious. Its a matter of opinion really. I like the warmer look of the T-Mo version but that wouldn't stop me from getting the AT&T version. I'd rather have a desire thought. Getting tired of waiting though so we will see.

Antioch18

Mar 19, 2010
Got my AT&T N1 on Wednesday. I haven't had any problems with the screen.

The blacks are black and the whites are eye-piercingly white (on max brightness ;) -- just white white on dim/regular brightness).

Maybe bad sets? Maybe they need warming up?

Anyone got a link to a picture that should show purple hues on my screen?

quaa

Dec 3, 2007
quaa.net
Got my AT&T N1 on Wednesday. I haven't had any problems with the screen.

The blacks are black and the whites are eye-piercingly white (on max brightness ;) -- just white white on dim/regular brightness).

Maybe bad sets? Maybe they need warming up?

Anyone got a link to a picture that should show purple hues on my screen?

+ one for a picture.
I can't tell a difference on mine, but I don't have a T-Mob one to compare with.

akgrown

Mar 13, 2010
Don't know if this is the best pic or not, but I find that the reference photos they use on dpreview.com for their camera reviews have a lot of good color references in them:

[warning - 4MB file]
a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD3s/samples/comparedto/boxraw/d3s-DSC_3302-acr.jpg

strongergodzilla

Feb 16, 2010
Los Angeles
Don't know if this is the best pic or not, but I find that the reference photos they use on dpreview.com for their camera reviews have a lot of good color references in them:

[warning - 4MB file]
a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD3s/samples/comparedto/boxraw/d3s-DSC_3302-acr.jpg

Thank you so much for this. Upon loading this image up on my computer, and then loading it via the phone browser I can confirm that my ATT nexus one's screen is SPOT on for color balance [and I was a little afraid of what I'd find]. This is compared to a highly calibrated monitor used from print ad creation. Kudos HTC

super helpful post, thanks akgrown

be interesting to see what tmobile nexus one users might yeild from a similar test?

akgrown

Mar 13, 2010
No problem - glad you found it helpful! I'm going to try the same test myself, once I get home, against my calibrated PC monitor.

akgrown

Mar 13, 2010
As I said, BGR is nothing but a bunch of Apple fanboy garbage spewing out unsubstantiated Android hate for no reason.

Well, there's still the possibility that some units have a skewed color temp/saturation. I'm hoping my results will align with strongergodzilla's, tho.

Also, the tint is definitely most noticeable at the lowest brightness setting, so it might take a little tweaking of monitor brightness to compare apples to apples. However, if the colors match up at "normal" brightness levels, that's good enough for me.

elite_is3

Aug 30, 2006
Actually in the past with the numerous iphones i had, there were many times when SERIAL numbers were passed around about which iphone series had a better screen and so on. Which turned out to be fairly true, it was merely a hardware change or different screen manufacturer source who knows. But i for some reason DOUBT its a quality control problem that me though