[PX3 & 5] [OTG] - No Headunit Mod, recover or flash a SOM with a simple USB cable

Search This thread

ogni846

Feb 15, 2021
What is EMCP 64/4 and firmware
6873773C-0067-437D-BF05-057D30D8D7E7.png

Hercules8

Jul 22, 2019
Heilbronn
"Factory" Recovery for MTCx PX3, PX5 and PX6 SOM.

Finally - OTG for all without modifying your head-unit. With only basic electronic/soldering skills, get OTG and fearlessly flash or recover a 'bricked' MTCD/E (HCT printed on SOM) Rockchip PX3, PX5 SOM.

Warning : Use thin pins for OTG cable in order to avoid the damage of the SOM connectors, although along the thread it has been noted many times that damage to the SOM socket is very likely to happen if thick pins are used...OR buy SOM header from Aliexpress, digikey etc.[/COLOR]

17/11/2019 - Edit: Corrected URL for Windows and Linux Rockchip tools

04/04/2020 - link to px5 android 9 full update.img

Are there ready-made connectors to buy?

Attachments

• 20211.jpg
    20211.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
  • 20212.jpg
    20212.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 43

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
wombleton
Where do you know how to search under what name and where can you buy such a ready jig cable? alone. I constructed the same, but probably the factory jig, would be better, connect faster and last longer

The connectors/header pins to make a cable can be brought from various electronic suppliers online.
I'm not aware of any ready made, but they're pretty easily made.

If you wanted a robust solution, a PCB could be made up with an external supply.

Reactions: drstoms

drstoms

Feb 14, 2016
The connectors/header pins to make a cable can be brought from various electronic suppliers online.
I'm not aware of any ready made, but they're pretty easily made.

If you wanted a robust solution, a PCB could be made up with an external supply.
Can I ask you for help again? because I see you are very clever and you certainly know the solution. I have one more Px3 board to be repaired. I connected Jig but this board does not respond at all and should show up in loader mode. After the pins are shorted and connected, the Jig enters the mask, but the firmware does not flash because the boot faild pops up immediately. I have tried 100 times there is always a mistake . I connect another board to the jig and immediately uploads the system. That is why this is my question to my kind friend. How to force this board to loader mode? only through this mode will it be possible to flash the firmware and achieve success. I am also wondering about this small usb input and does it have anything to do with a cable that may be plugged in and connected to the computer to trigger the loader mode? But is it not? I don't know help me find the mode loader 🙏 . I'm wondering what to do here. Thanks in advance for your help 🙂

Attachments

• MVIMG_20210307_020547.jpg
    MVIMG_20210307_020547.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • MVIMG_20210307_020610.jpg
    MVIMG_20210307_020610.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20210307_024407.jpg
    IMG_20210307_024407.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20210211_051324.jpg
    IMG_20210211_051324.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 33

drstoms

Feb 14, 2016
Can I ask you for help again? because I see you are very clever and you certainly know the solution. I have one more Px3 board to be repaired. I connected Jig but this board does not respond at all and should show up in loader mode. After the pins are shorted and connected, the Jig enters the mask, but the firmware does not flash because the boot faild pops up immediately. I have tried 100 times there is always a mistake . I connect another board to the jig and immediately uploads the system. That is why this is my question to my kind friend. How to force this board to loader mode? only through this mode will it be possible to flash the firmware and achieve success. I am also wondering about this small usb input and does it have anything to do with a cable that may be plugged in and connected to the computer to trigger the loader mode? But is it not? I don't know help me find the mode loader 🙏 . I'm wondering what to do here. Thanks in advance for your help 🙂

Attachments

• MVIMG_20210307_025350.jpg
    MVIMG_20210307_025350.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • MVIMG_20210307_025520.jpg
    MVIMG_20210307_025520.jpg
    11.2 MB · Views: 21

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
wombleton

LOADER mode occurs then the SOM has a working boot loader. This usually occurs after [erase flash]/formatting the storage and then attempting to flash with the correct image file.

If that doesn't work, you could try other versions of Android tool and driver.

Failing all of that, could there be a possibility that the emmc is defective.

Reactions: drstoms

drstoms

Feb 14, 2016
LOADER mode occurs then the SOM has a working boot loader. This usually occurs after [erase flash]/formatting the storage and then attempting to flash with the correct image file.

ok, that is, to try in the Android tool in maskrom mode the erase flash option will only help to recover the loader mode right? because I tried it and it is also boot fail

drstoms

Feb 14, 2016

I tried the rkbarch tool tools with the restore option, flash, factory tool tools, android tool release v2.59 which always works for me, but unfortunately not on this board. So try to format the tile in maskrom mode first?

renatolipari

Nov 12, 2016
Please, my car radio won't start anymore; I've tried everything but it doesn't work. I need someone to post a photo or a diagram to connect the USB cable to the PX6 connector (please indicate the pins) with the exact values and positions of the resistors. Thanks for your help.

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
wombleton
Please, my car radio won't start anymore; I've tried everything but it doesn't work. I need someone to post a photo or a diagram to connect the USB cable to the PX6 connector (please indicate the pins) with the exact values and positions of the resistors. Thanks for your help.

If it's an MTCD or MTCE, this thread contains all you need.

If it's something else, you might need to do the work.

renatolipari

Nov 12, 2016
If it's an MTCD or MTCE, this thread contains all you need.

If it's something else, you might need to do the work.

Thanks for the reply. My car stereo is MTCE PX6, I wanted to make sure I didn't destroy everything.

Grazie per la risposta. La mia autoradio è MTCE PX6, volevo essere sicuro di non distruggere tutto.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks for posting this, fixed my PX30. Didn't bother with the resistors just used maskrom mode. Had to try a few flashing programs but evenually found one that worked. Was geting test failed with the others. Had issues at first with unrecognized usb but made a new cable and it worked.

I soldered on some leads. Can I just leave them connected and add a switch to the maskrom pads and just run out to a connector so I can do in dash if I even need to?
    Le connessioni devono essere perfette altrimenti non funziona niente.
    La tua foto di sinistra quella del programmatore non va bene, devi cliccare su Upgrade Firmware e seguire tutti i passaggi che ti ho scritto.
    Good suggestions and do remember to post in English as well.
    "Factory" Recovery for MTCx PX3, PX5 and PX6 SOM.

Finally - OTG for all without modifying your head-unit. With only basic electronic/soldering skills, get OTG and fearlessly flash or recover a 'bricked' MTCD/E (HCT printed on SOM) Rockchip PX3, PX5 SOM.

See attached pics for making an OTG cable from a USB cable and two resistors.
    Resistors are 12K and 15k (22k is probably better) or anyone of the following. combinations. These resistors are necessary as 'voltage dividers', with a value between 1.8v and 3.3 OK. These simply place a logic '1' on recovery and USB-OTG to 'tell' the SOM to go into OTG recovery mode.
    R1 | R2
    -------------------
    1K | 1.8K
    2.2K | 3.3K
    10K | 18K
    12K | 22K

Get Windows Driver [Driver assistant - latest version] and [Android tool - latest version] for direct/OTG SOM flashing here.. Be sure to edit [android tool] .ini file to set English, otherwise tool will be rendered in Chinese.

This tool for dumping / getting full backup of SOM
    Excellent tool, thanks @RedScorpioXDA

Note - all tools and driver have equivalent Linux versions.

PX5 Android 9 Update.img - suitable for flashing via rockchip tools - https://yadi.sk/d/umCvHqCDzHccr/RockChip PX5 Android 9/YB
    • The image is located in px5 android 9/yb. The file has "_img_" listed in the filename.
    • Note Android 10 has an img file too - located in px5 android 10/chs.

PX5 Android 8 Oreo full Partition extract suitable for recovering SOM, flashing via rockchip tools - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1P703unZDA_TdRzl6fjkkb-YUB-KpTViW

Using the RockChip Android Tool:
    • For OREO: Unzip and flash all partitions in the ZIP file [px5_OREO_Full_13032018-UseToRecoverOrCreateNew.7zip here
    • For Android 6, flash the latest update.img file in android tool

There are guides to partition flashing found on the internet, would be great if anyone could contribute by posting step-by-step instructions or a video to assist others (there are now posts in this thread...)

A generic guide to the RockChip Android tool, flashing partitions or image files is here as previously posted.

Credit (thanks!) to @scorillo_ro for the detailed image/connections diagram.

Worst case - SOM doesn't respond - force 'maskrom' detailed here explaining what MaskRom is and here on how to for your PX5 (px3 is similar.) Steps are: Power Off SOM and disconnect USB to PC. Use Tweezers, apply power/connect USB. Hold until Windows Device chime is heard (within about 2 seconds of power on.) See attached pic.

Warning : Use thin pins for OTG cable in order to avoid the damage of the SOM connectors, although along the thread it has been noted many times that damage to the SOM socket is very likely to happen if thick pins are used...OR buy SOM header from Aliexpress, digikey etc.[/COLOR]

17/11/2019 - Edit: Corrected URL for Windows and Linux Rockchip tools

04/04/2020 - link to px5 android 9 full update.img
    Nice work @marchnz !
    A full step by step and pictures howto should be made now and all those PX5 users without sdcard slots will be able to use this method to get Android8!

LE. I drew a schema
    Is there a howto to install Android 8.0 via OTG?

Thank you

Theres an entire thread about how to install Oreo.
    Many thanks :D
    I take it the board in the first thread above is the one out of any PX5 android car radio ?
    Yes, on the first page of the thread you will see PX5 boards, both the green one and the blue one.
    Both are PX5 boards, just different versions...

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

Do we need a male to male USB wire? Or does a normal USB wire work to?
    No, you can cut and use any USB cable that have at least one male plugs at its ends.
    If you don't have any spare USB cable to use and need to buy one, you can buy an male to male one just to cut it in two equal parts. Use one part to build the PX5 OTG cable and keep the other one for spare :)

I'll also recommend the cable to be not too long and not too thin.
    We need a really good howto with all news. My resitors will arrrive tomorrow, i hope. Then i will try my best to get my board to live again :)

Regards

Full guide here. Covers both update.img update and partition by partition (if you have the files).
    Flashing Oreo:
    1. The latter flashing by partiton is most reliable method for Oreo (I need to upload files somewhere - within the next few days.)
    OR
    2. use the update image created by kumarai to first flash the Android 8 recovery, then put update on a SDcard or USB stick and flash the update from recovery.

Again, for those where recovery doesn't recognise SDCard or USB stick, I will upload full partiton files and create an upgrade process summary in the next few days.

For Android 6, use the update image method.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone