[PX3 & 5] [OTG] - No Headunit Mod, recover or flash a SOM with a simple USB cable

Search This thread

Samezrp

Sep 24, 2008
Have anyone of you successfully reached recovery in PX5 rk3368 with MCU SF0 C54 with this mainboard (CO21 PX5 V5.0):
h**p://www.ziqidesigns.com/en/detail.asp?id=191
Suddenly I stuck on boot logo, I can see stating unit and car logo, than android logo and nothing more. I tried to reset and tap screen with 5 fingers as seller adviced, also I received newest firmware, I put it on SD and USB drive, reset unit as advised but it does not go into recovery mode so I have logo and nothing else, booting after some time again and again. Any ideas?

Samezrp

Sep 24, 2008
MCU states as I described: SF0:
1654593214968.png

picture taken when I was able to operate on the unit.

typos1

Apr 3, 2007
UK
Its not an MTCD/E unit so wrong forum and thread try the Android head units general forum.

Alex_m21

Jul 6, 2022
Dear user,

I'm facing a problem related to Head unit PX5 that is stucked on car logo.
To try to repair and reload a new update, i've connected SOM to USB but it is not detected correctly by my PC. It is finded by unknown device ( Device Descriptor Request Failed) . I've tried it on Win XP, Win 7 and Win 8 and it happens on all versions.

I tried to connect by OTG USB cable and also by male to male cable. Always same behavier.
Been reading some reported issues and tried everything: all resistors combinations to get 3.3V and even used and arduino to get 3.3V and 5V from it. ROCKCHIP drivers were correctly installed.

I have 4.9V on power supply, 3.2V on recovery pin and usb detect, 3V on data (white and green).

Any thought from your side in order to help? Anyone can sent me pinout?

Attachments

• 20220706_122335.jpg
    20220706_122335.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 39
  • 20220706_122251.jpg
    20220706_122251.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 32
  • 20220706_122113.jpg
    20220706_122113.jpg
    723.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220706_121925.jpg
    20220706_121925.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • 20220706_121911.jpg
    20220706_121911.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
Dear user,

I'm facing a problem related to Head unit PX5 that is stucked on car logo.
To try to repair and reload a new update, i've connected SOM to USB but it is not detected correctly by my PC. It is finded by unknown device ( Device Descriptor Request Failed) . I've tried it on Win XP, Win 7 and Win 8 and it happens on all versions.

I tried to connect by OTG USB cable and also by male to male cable. Always same behavier.
Been reading some reported issues and tried everything: all resistors combinations to get 3.3V and even used and arduino to get 3.3V and 5V from it. ROCKCHIP drivers were correctly installed.

I have 4.9V on power supply, 3.2V on recovery pin and usb detect, 3V on data (white and green).

Any thought from your side in order to help? Anyone can sent me pinout?
Force maskrom while connecting device to PC

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try another PC and/or short USB cable
    I've tried another male USB cable and it worked. Other cable had data green line problem.

Thank you very much.

Do you know i is there any thread regarding to tuner FM problems?
    "Factory" Recovery for MTCx PX3, PX5 and PX6 SOM.

Finally - OTG for all without modifying your head-unit. With only basic electronic/soldering skills, get OTG and fearlessly flash or recover a 'bricked' MTCD/E (HCT printed on SOM) Rockchip PX3, PX5 SOM.

See attached pics for making an OTG cable from a USB cable and two resistors.
    Resistors are 12K and 15k (22k is probably better) or anyone of the following. combinations. These resistors are necessary as 'voltage dividers', with a value between 1.8v and 3.3 OK. These simply place a logic '1' on recovery and USB-OTG to 'tell' the SOM to go into OTG recovery mode.
    R1 | R2
    -------------------
    1K | 1.8K
    2.2K | 3.3K
    10K | 18K
    12K | 22K

Get Windows Driver [Driver assistant - latest version] and [Android tool - latest version] for direct/OTG SOM flashing here.. Be sure to edit [android tool] .ini file to set English, otherwise tool will be rendered in Chinese.

This tool for dumping / getting full backup of SOM
    Excellent tool, thanks @RedScorpioXDA

Note - all tools and driver have equivalent Linux versions.

PX5 Android 9 Update.img - suitable for flashing via rockchip tools - https://yadi.sk/d/umCvHqCDzHccr/RockChip PX5 Android 9/YB
    • The image is located in px5 android 9/yb. The file has "_img_" listed in the filename.
    • Note Android 10 has an img file too - located in px5 android 10/chs.

PX5 Android 8 Oreo full Partition extract suitable for recovering SOM, flashing via rockchip tools - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1P703unZDA_TdRzl6fjkkb-YUB-KpTViW

Using the RockChip Android Tool:
    • For OREO: Unzip and flash all partitions in the ZIP file [px5_OREO_Full_13032018-UseToRecoverOrCreateNew.7zip here
    • For Android 6, flash the latest update.img file in android tool

There are guides to partition flashing found on the internet, would be great if anyone could contribute by posting step-by-step instructions or a video to assist others (there are now posts in this thread...)

A generic guide to the RockChip Android tool, flashing partitions or image files is here as previously posted.

Credit (thanks!) to @scorillo_ro for the detailed image/connections diagram.

Worst case - SOM doesn't respond - force 'maskrom' detailed here explaining what MaskRom is and here on how to for your PX5 (px3 is similar.) Steps are: Power Off SOM and disconnect USB to PC. Use Tweezers, apply power/connect USB. Hold until Windows Device chime is heard (within about 2 seconds of power on.) See attached pic.

Warning : Use thin pins for OTG cable in order to avoid the damage of the SOM connectors, although along the thread it has been noted many times that damage to the SOM socket is very likely to happen if thick pins are used...OR buy SOM header from Aliexpress, digikey etc.[/COLOR]

17/11/2019 - Edit: Corrected URL for Windows and Linux Rockchip tools

04/04/2020 - link to px5 android 9 full update.img
    Nice work @marchnz !
    A full step by step and pictures howto should be made now and all those PX5 users without sdcard slots will be able to use this method to get Android8!

LE. I drew a schema
    Is there a howto to install Android 8.0 via OTG?

Thank you

Theres an entire thread about how to install Oreo.
    Many thanks :D
    I take it the board in the first thread above is the one out of any PX5 android car radio ?
    Yes, on the first page of the thread you will see PX5 boards, both the green one and the blue one.
    Both are PX5 boards, just different versions...

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

Do we need a male to male USB wire? Or does a normal USB wire work to?
    No, you can cut and use any USB cable that have at least one male plugs at its ends.
    If you don't have any spare USB cable to use and need to buy one, you can buy an male to male one just to cut it in two equal parts. Use one part to build the PX5 OTG cable and keep the other one for spare :)

I'll also recommend the cable to be not too long and not too thin.
    Finally I succeeded! I rewrote the sdupdate on the som in maskrom mode, and finally my PX5 is back to work with oreo 8 of Malaysk. Thank you so much marchnz.

Cant upload the Firmware from MaskRom Mode. I got the "usb device not recognized" error. I never goth my the device in the loader mode. My PC never detected the SoM in loader mode.

Also I have had several problems to recognize the SOM from the PC, in addition to what you have already suggested marchnz I add only to bring to gnd also the shielding of the usb cable and two cables gnd to the som.

I add photos that perhaps clarifies what I suggest