[PX3 & 5] [OTG] - No Headunit Mod, recover or flash a SOM with a simple USB cable - FREE

Search This thread

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
"Factory" Recovery for MTCx PX3, PX5 and PX6 SOM.
UPDATED" 26.06.2023 - Before doing this, try your Headunit USB cable first - Some headunits support OTG directly on the headunit USB cable.

Come here after using paid Software "Mod" tools like Modinstaller?
This method is the factory method, which can completely recover a "bricked" SOM, recover from failed "modinstaller" or failed upgrade of Paid mods.

Finally - OTG for all without modifying your head-unit. With only basic electronic/soldering skills, get OTG and fearlessly flash or recover a 'bricked' MTCD/E (HCT printed on SOM) Rockchip PX3, PX5 SOM.

See attached pics for making an OTG cable from a USB cable and two resistors.
Resistors are 12K and 15k (22k is probably better) or anyone of the following. combinations. These resistors are necessary as 'voltage dividers', with a value between 1.8v and 3.3 OK. These simply place a logic '1' on recovery and USB-OTG to 'tell' the SOM to go into OTG recovery mode.
R1 | R2
-------------------
1K | 1.8K
2.2K | 3.3K
10K | 18K
12K | 22K

Get Windows Driver [Driver assistant - v5.11] and [RKDevTool 2.93] for direct/OTG SOM flashing:
1. From a chinese Firefly site here
or
2. My Google Drive here
[RKDevTool] .ini file is set English, otherwise tool will be rendered in Chinese.

This tool for dumping / getting full backup of SOM
Excellent tool, thanks @RedScorpioXDA

Note - all tools and driver have equivalent Linux versions.

26.06.2023 - Android Tool is now RkDevTool

PX5 Android 9 Update.img - suitable for flashing via rockchip tools - https://yadi.sk/d/umCvHqCDzHccr/RockChip PX5 Android 9/YB
  • The image is located in px5 android 9/yb. The file has "_img_" listed in the filename.
  • Note Android 10 has an img file too - located in px5 android 10/chs.

PX5 Android 8 Oreo full Partition extract suitable for recovering SOM, flashing via rockchip tools - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1P703unZDA_TdRzl6fjkkb-YUB-KpTViW

Using the RockChip RKDevTool:
  • For OREO: Unzip and flash all partitions in the ZIP file [px5_OREO_Full_13032018-UseToRecoverOrCreateNew.7zip here
  • For Android 6, flash the latest update.img file in RKDevTool

There are guides to partition flashing found on the internet, would be great if anyone could contribute by posting step-by-step instructions or a video to assist others (there are now posts in this thread...)

A generic guide to the RockChip RKDevTool, flashing partitions or image files is here as previously posted.

Credit (thanks!) to @scorillo_ro for the detailed image/connections diagram.

Worst case - SOM doesn't respond - force 'maskrom' detailed here explaining what MaskRom is and here on how to for your PX5 (px3 is similar.) Steps are: Power Off SOM and disconnect USB to PC. Use Tweezers, apply power/connect USB. Hold until Windows Device chime is heard (within about 2 seconds of power on.) See attached pic.

Warning : Use thin pins for OTG cable in order to avoid the damage of the SOM connectors, although along the thread it has been noted many times that damage to the SOM socket is very likely to happen if thick pins are used...OR buy SOM header from Aliexpress, digikey etc.[/COLOR]

17/11/2019 - Edit: Corrected URL for Windows and Linux Rockchip tools

04/04/2020 - link to px5 android 9 full update.img

20.06.23 - Update broken links to driver and tool. Update Name of tool (was) Android Tool - (now) RKDevTool

Attachments

• 20180322_165726.jpg
    20180322_165726.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 27,064
  • 20180322_165803.jpg
    20180322_165803.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 27,047
  • PX5_OTG.jpg
    PX5_OTG.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 27,629
  • MaskROM_PX5.jpg
    MaskROM_PX5.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 17,945
Last edited:

scorillo_ro

Jul 30, 2012
Bucharest
Nice work @marchnz !
A full step by step and pictures howto should be made now and all those PX5 users without sdcard slots will be able to use this method to get Android8!

LE. I drew a schema

Attachments

• PX5_OTG.jpg
    PX5_OTG.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 12,906
  • 20180324_153723.jpg
    20180324_153723.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 12,701
  • 20180324_111134.jpg
    20180324_111134.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 12,350
  • OTG.png
    OTG.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 10,293
Last edited:

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
So with this methon, will be possible to flash on 6.0 unity, the recovery and the system of android 8.0?

Absolutely! I've done it a bunch of times. You can either use the sdupdate.img from the Oreo upgrade thread to load the Oreo recovery and then install the oreo .zip from recovery OR a full set of partition images.

I have a full set of partition images if needed, they're about 25gb but should compress right down (that 25gb includes [user] partition which is an empty partition.

lucajust

Feb 23, 2012
Good... I'll try... But the process Need a PC no? Becouse with the unit with SD card slot needs PC only to prepare the sd card for android 8 recovery

Inviato dal mio Mi A1 utilizzando Tapatalk

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
Good... I'll try... But the process Need a PC no? Becouse with the unit with SD card slot needs PC only to prepare the sd card for android 8 recovery

Yes, PC. I've updated the post to include links to tools and driver. Driver 4.5 & Android tool works on Win7 - Win 10, x86 and x64.

For those without SDCard wanting to upgrade to Oreo:
You could try OTG flashing the Oreo sdupdate.img, fit SOM back to headunit and then try loading the Full Oreo update.zip from USB. Otherwise I will need to upload the full Oreo partitons dump with instructions....over the next few days....

Reactions: djtriso

lucajust

Feb 23, 2012
Yes, PC. I've updated the post to include links to tools and driver. Driver 4.5 & Android tool works on Win7 - Win 10, x86 and x64.

For those without SDCard wanting to upgrade to Oreo:
You could try OTG flashing the Oreo sdupdate.img, fit SOM back to headunit and then try loading the Full Oreo update.zip from USB. Otherwise I will need to upload the full Oreo partitons dump with instructions....over the next few days....
Thanks... What are the "SOM"?

Harsesis

Sep 5, 2007
It is my understanding that I can flash the SOM without the rest of the board?

So just disconnect the SOM then hook up the USB as per the diagram and it will be detected by windows. Use android tool / RockChip Batch Tool with a android 6/8 recovery.

The issue I have is that the nand doesn't look like its recognised after an attempt to flash oreo. Please see attached picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20180322_200447.jpg
    IMG_20180322_200447.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 5,244

scorillo_ro

Jul 30, 2012
Bucharest
It is my understanding that I can flash the SOM without the rest of the board?

So just disconnect the SOM then hook up the USB as per the diagram and it will be detected by windows. Use android tool / RockChip Batch Tool with a android 6/8 recovery.

The issue I have is that the nand doesn't look like its recognised after an attempt to flash oreo. Please see attached picture.

Yes, you understood correctly. This method may save you...

Reactions: marchnz

Harsesis

Sep 5, 2007
Yes, you understood correctly. This method may save you...

You mentioned a full partition dump. I'm hoping I don't need this. I remember reading that the partition structure needed to be changed for android 8. Do you have any idea how to do this via the tools? I remember reading about something called a storagemap that rockchip uses.

scorillo_ro

Jul 30, 2012
Bucharest
You mentioned a full partition dump. I'm hoping I don't need this. I remember reading that the partition structure needed to be changed for android 8. Do you have any idea how to do this via the tools? I remember reading about something called a storagemap that rockchip uses.
Wait for @marchnz to put this information here. Meanwhile you can start building your USB JIG.

Reactions: Harsesis

Clandaries

May 9, 2013
Stapel
Will try this, just have to buy resistord.

One question... How to download from Github?

Regards

Edit: Found it :)

Last edited:

scorillo_ro

Jul 30, 2012
Bucharest
Yeah already tried that. Also tried it with a different PC both Windows 10 but same problem. I also tried to a other SoM but this one got the same problem. I really dont know anymore what to do :confused:

Strange. I only used Windows 7.
You can also try using a powered usb switch. Maybe the USB ports you used does not provide sufficient power? This is just an assumption.

Or, as @marchnz said, you can try enter maskrom mode.

Last edited:

Malle355

Sep 1, 2015
Dobel
OnePlus 8 Pro
Strange. I only used Windows 7.
You can also try using a powered usb switch. Maybe the USB ports you used does not provide sufficient power? This is just an assumption.

Or, as @marchnz said, you can try enter maskrom mode.
My Device is only getting detected in MaskRom Mode. Its not getting detected in Normal Mode. But as I said it says "usb device not recognized".

Last edited:

Malle355

Sep 1, 2015
Dobel
OnePlus 8 Pro
Did you try to upload a firmware image from maskrom mode? The other mode, not working for you, is called loader mode and is provided by software that might be corrupted.

Cant upload the Firmware from MaskRom Mode. I got the "usb device not recognized" error. I never goth my the device in the loader mode. My PC never detected the SoM in loader mode.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    "Factory" Recovery for MTCx PX3, PX5 and PX6 SOM.
    UPDATED" 26.06.2023 - Before doing this, try your Headunit USB cable first - Some headunits support OTG directly on the headunit USB cable.

Come here after using paid Software "Mod" tools like Modinstaller?
    This method is the factory method, which can completely recover a "bricked" SOM, recover from failed "modinstaller" or failed upgrade of Paid mods.

Finally - OTG for all without modifying your head-unit. With only basic electronic/soldering skills, get OTG and fearlessly flash or recover a 'bricked' MTCD/E (HCT printed on SOM) Rockchip PX3, PX5 SOM.

See attached pics for making an OTG cable from a USB cable and two resistors.
    Resistors are 12K and 15k (22k is probably better) or anyone of the following. combinations. These resistors are necessary as 'voltage dividers', with a value between 1.8v and 3.3 OK. These simply place a logic '1' on recovery and USB-OTG to 'tell' the SOM to go into OTG recovery mode.
    R1 | R2
    -------------------
    1K | 1.8K
    2.2K | 3.3K
    10K | 18K
    12K | 22K

Get Windows Driver [Driver assistant - v5.11] and [RKDevTool 2.93] for direct/OTG SOM flashing:
    1. From a chinese Firefly site here
    or
    2. My Google Drive here
    [RKDevTool] .ini file is set English, otherwise tool will be rendered in Chinese.

This tool for dumping / getting full backup of SOM
    Excellent tool, thanks @RedScorpioXDA

Note - all tools and driver have equivalent Linux versions.

26.06.2023 - Android Tool is now RkDevTool

PX5 Android 9 Update.img - suitable for flashing via rockchip tools - https://yadi.sk/d/umCvHqCDzHccr/RockChip PX5 Android 9/YB
    • The image is located in px5 android 9/yb. The file has "_img_" listed in the filename.
    • Note Android 10 has an img file too - located in px5 android 10/chs.

PX5 Android 8 Oreo full Partition extract suitable for recovering SOM, flashing via rockchip tools - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1P703unZDA_TdRzl6fjkkb-YUB-KpTViW

Using the RockChip RKDevTool:
    • For OREO: Unzip and flash all partitions in the ZIP file [px5_OREO_Full_13032018-UseToRecoverOrCreateNew.7zip here
    • For Android 6, flash the latest update.img file in RKDevTool

There are guides to partition flashing found on the internet, would be great if anyone could contribute by posting step-by-step instructions or a video to assist others (there are now posts in this thread...)

A generic guide to the RockChip RKDevTool, flashing partitions or image files is here as previously posted.

Credit (thanks!) to @scorillo_ro for the detailed image/connections diagram.

Worst case - SOM doesn't respond - force 'maskrom' detailed here explaining what MaskRom is and here on how to for your PX5 (px3 is similar.) Steps are: Power Off SOM and disconnect USB to PC. Use Tweezers, apply power/connect USB. Hold until Windows Device chime is heard (within about 2 seconds of power on.) See attached pic.

Warning : Use thin pins for OTG cable in order to avoid the damage of the SOM connectors, although along the thread it has been noted many times that damage to the SOM socket is very likely to happen if thick pins are used...OR buy SOM header from Aliexpress, digikey etc.[/COLOR]

17/11/2019 - Edit: Corrected URL for Windows and Linux Rockchip tools

04/04/2020 - link to px5 android 9 full update.img

20.06.23 - Update broken links to driver and tool. Update Name of tool (was) Android Tool - (now) RKDevTool
    Nice work @marchnz !
    A full step by step and pictures howto should be made now and all those PX5 users without sdcard slots will be able to use this method to get Android8!

LE. I drew a schema
    A BIG BIG THANK YOU to @jogobelo for un-bricking my PX6 SOM. It was a very dificult job, but you did not give up until you were successful (y) Ďakujem veľmi pekne.
    Is there a howto to install Android 8.0 via OTG?

Thank you

Theres an entire thread about how to install Oreo.
    Many thanks :D
    I take it the board in the first thread above is the one out of any PX5 android car radio ?
    Yes, on the first page of the thread you will see PX5 boards, both the green one and the blue one.
    Both are PX5 boards, just different versions...

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

Do we need a male to male USB wire? Or does a normal USB wire work to?
    No, you can cut and use any USB cable that have at least one male plugs at its ends.
    If you don't have any spare USB cable to use and need to buy one, you can buy an male to male one just to cut it in two equal parts. Use one part to build the PX5 OTG cable and keep the other one for spare :)

I'll also recommend the cable to be not too long and not too thin.