PX30 RK3326 - Successor of PX5?

Search This thread

BlackTigerX

Mar 16, 2008
Hey guys,

when browsing aliexpress I noticed that there is a new hardware type used on the latest Android 8.1 units (see link).

It's a newly released soc from Rockchip called PX30 with the following specs:
•Quad-core Cortex-A35
•Mali-G31 MP2 GPU
•DDR4/DDR3/DDR3L/LPDDR3/LPDDR2
•1080P H.265/H.264/VC-1/MPEG/VP8 video decoder
•1080P H.264/VP8 video encoder
•MIPI-DSI/LVDS/RGB interface, dual VOP
•1x8ch I2S/TDM, 1x8ch PDM, 2x2ch I2S

The PX5 which is used in most android head units has these specs:
•Octa-core Cortex-A53 up to 1.5GHz
•PowerVR G6110 GPU
•DDR3/DDR3L/LPDDR2/LPDDR3
•4K UHD H265/H264 decoder
•FHD panel display
•ADAS Algorithm support
•SmartPhone connection support
•Fast Reverse view

Comparing the latest PX5 head units and the few PX30 units available the main differences are:
- PX30 has only 2GB RAM/16GB ROM, wheras the PX5 has up to 4GB RAM/32GB ROM
- PX30 has a Mali G31-GPU whichs supports Vulkan and OpenGL ES 3.2, whereas the PX5 has support for OpenGL ES 3.0. with the older G6110 gpu.
- PX30 already has Android 8.1, whereas PX5 is on level Android 8.0
- PX5 supports 4K video playback, whereas PX30 has no hardware decoder built in for 4K.

Any idea if the PX30 is an upgrade in performance compared to the PX5?

It is also interesting to see that Erising has built in the Volkswagen (VW) cable socket and can bus in the head unit itself with this new PX30 unit. So no external adapters are needed anymore.

Last edited:

bdomi40

Jul 22, 2018
I wanted to buy the px5 on aliexpress and I was wrong on my order, I received the px30.
I would do the test next week on my unit to see his behavior.

bdomi40

Jul 22, 2018
and relative to px3 ?
Where are the specs of the PX30 ?
Where can I find the comparison between the PX3, PX5 and PX30 ?
Thank you for your help.

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
hvdwolf.github.io
and relative to px3 ?
Where are the specs of the PX30 ?
Where can I find the comparison between the PX3, PX5 and PX30 ?
Thank you for your help.

This is the easiest part: Just google!
Rockchip has an extensive site with wiki's, specsheets, datasheets, etc.

EDIT: anyway: see bottom 2nd post.

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

Comparing the latest PX5 head units and the few PX30 units available the main differences are:
- PX30 already has Android 8.1, whereas PX5 is on level Android 8.0

Any idea if the PX30 is an upgrade in performance compared to the PX5?

Some PX-5's also come with Android 8.1 like the Joying QD PX5 series.

If I compare all the specs and features on the rockchip sites (http://www.rock-chips.com, http://opensource.rock-chips.com), it seems to me that the PX30 is more developed for multi-media applications giving its enhanced graphics features.
Next to that it has some ADAS technology added to it which should help safety in cars, but as long as cars have that integrated it is not necessary, and when a car is too old, it will not know how to backfeed that info into the unit. So, will that be an upgrade?

I do not know whether it is an upgrade or just an alternative.
Note that the PX5 can get really hot and reach temperatures over 100 C in uncooled head-units (and media players for TV's also). Maybe the PX30 is generating less heat giving the same or comparative performance.

Also, there is not "one" PX30: You have the RK3308 and RK3326: One of the differences is in its GPU (see a.o. https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/07/23/rockchip-rk3308-rk3326-datasheet/).
The Erisin add on aliexpress does not tell which PX30 SOC is used.
(PX5 is 3368)

I think there is still a lot to be experienced and tested before it can be said whether it is an upgrade or an alternative.
At first glance it is to me a somewhat cheaper alternative than a PX5, like an "enhanced" PX3. But that is my guess, so please check further on it.

Since I was already throwing links, see here: http://www.rock-chips.com/a/en/products/RK33_Series/index.html

Last edited:

bdomi40

Jul 22, 2018
Thanks surfer63.
Actually, the PX30 is for me an improvement of PX3.
According to the stats, the PX30 is between the PX3 and the PX5.
The PX30 heats up and consumes much less than the PX5.
I do not know if the Cortex-A35 processor is as powerful as the PX3's Cortex-A9 or the PX5's Cortex-A53 ?
I will make the change of my PX3 against the PX30 on Saturday and I'll let you know.

I also heard that the RK3399 is out (PX6 ?), but on the Rock-chips website, the PX6 does not exist.
I also did not see a PX6 chip for MTCD/E units.
I'm sorry for my English.
Regards.

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
hvdwolf.github.io
Thanks surfer63.
Actually, the PX30 is for me an improvement of PX3.
According to the stats, the PX30 is between the PX3 and the PX5.
The PX30 heats up and consumes much less than the PX5.
I do not know if the Cortex-A35 processor is as powerful as the PX3's Cortex-A9 or the PX5's Cortex-A53 ?
I will make the change of my PX3 against the PX30 on Saturday and I'll let you know.

I also heard that the RK3399 is out (PX6 ?), but on the Rock-chips website, the PX6 does not exist.
I also did not see a PX6 chip for MTCD/E units.
I'm sorry for my English.
Regards.

I also think it is an "upgrade" for the PX3 and a cheap alternative for the PX5, like I described in my post.
And with regard to the RK3399 (PX6): it is on the same index page my link points to. That one is definitely an upgrade to the PX5.
And if you search for "px6 android 8.1" on Aliexpress you already find some, but I have no idea what the MCU manufacturer is: Microntek (MTC), FYT or QD or maybe even another.

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
hvdwolf.github.io
The PX30 is not compatible with the MTCD PX3 or PX5.
The number of pins is different. 76 pins for the PX30 and 72 for the PX3 / PX5.
So, not compatible.

Thanks for sharing this, but what do you actually mean with this?
I don't think many users will really un-solder their old CPU and re-solder a new CPU into their unit.
And when it comes to (custom) ROMs: The PX3 and PX5 are not compatible either. Even more when you look at the different MCUs and different hardware (=different drivers) used.
So what does it matter whether they are pin-compatible or not?
(I don't mean this sarcastically but I really do not understand why you mention this)

bdomi40

Jul 22, 2018
On some MTCD car radios, the PX3 can be upgraded by PX5.
The processors are not soldered on the motherboard, it's just a coreboard to clip on the motherboard through the pins.
I say that because I intend to upgrade my PX3 by a PX5.
I received by aliexpress the PX30 by mistake and I noticed that it is not possible to replace it with my PX3.

fearbrain

Oct 16, 2010
A friend just bought the Isudar 2 with SoC PX30 (Rockchip 3326), and I tested it.

The only thing that disappointed me was the lag when some graphics are presented, like on Google Maps, where the frame rate is about 5~10fps. But the speed opening and changing between apps is acceptable.

I'm interesting on a system like this but I definetelly don't want a laggy system.
If I choose one with PX5, do you know if it has a smooth interface?

angela.palamuso

Mar 2, 2019
< Moderator edit: translation added (Google Translate) >
Hi everyone, can you tell me if there is an update for PX30? I have a dasaita with MCU updated to version 3.06 but I can not update the firmware that is November 2018. Mine has Android 8.1 Quad core 2gb + 16
Is there a link where to find the file for the update?
Thank you

Salve a tutti, sapete dirmi se c'è un aggiornamento per PX30 ? Ho un dasaita con MCU aggiornata alla versione 3.06 ma non riesco ad aggiornare il firmware che è di novembre 2018. La mia ha Android 8.1 Quad core 2gb+16
C'è un link dove trovare il file per l'aggiornamento?
Grazie

Last edited by a moderator:

woodman

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
  • Jul 21, 2012
    France
    OnePlus 7T
    Salve a tutti, sapete dirmi se c'è un aggiornamento per PX30 ? Ho un dasaita con MCU aggiornata alla versione 3.06 ma non riesco ad aggiornare il firmware che è di novembre 2018. La mia ha Android 8.1 Quad core 2gb+16
    C'è un link dove trovare il file per l'aggiornamento?
    Grazie
    Please use English language on XDA as per forum rule #4 (https://forum.xda-developers.com/announcement.php?a=81):
    4. Use the English language.

We understand that with all the different nationalities, not everyone speaks English well, but please try. If you're really unable to post in English, use an online translator. You're free to include your original message in your own language, below the English translation. (This rule covers your posts, profile entries and signature). You could try :- https://translate.google.com/ or https://www.babelfish.com/ or use one of your choice.

Regards,
    Wood Man
    Senior Moderator

zeu569

May 3, 2004

So, not compatible.
    I know I'm late to the party, but I just replaced my PX3 with PX30 and it works fine. Yes there are 4 extra pins but it still works even if the 4 extra ones aren't plugged in and just hanging out on the side doing nothing.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

bdomi40

Jul 22, 2018
    Hi, how did you connect the processor ?
    the 4 pins not connected remained on the left or on the right of the px30 ?
    Is it better than px30 ?

Thanks

zeu569

May 3, 2004
    Is it better than px30 ?

Thanks
    I just made sure the board lined up with the screw holes so when facing the headunit front on, the unused pins are to the left.

The px30 board I got had a heat sink/metal cover installed so in order to fit nicely I had to remove the middle heat sink screw.

---------- Post added at 05:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 AM ----------

Is it better than px30 ?

Thanks
    Oh yes it is so much more responsive than 1gb PX3 I previously had installed.

bdomi40

Jul 22, 2018
    I wanted to ride this weekend the PX30.
    This PX30 does not work with my unit.
    I have either a black screen or a white screen.
    I put my PX3 back and my unit works.
    I'm disappointed.

zeu569

May 3, 2004
    I wanted to ride this weekend the PX30.
    This PX30 does not work with my unit.
    I have either a black screen or a white screen.
    I put my PX3 back and my unit works.
    I'm disappointed.
    You had all the pins lined up correctly and pushed down all the way to make good contact?

Aug 27, 2017
    Mtce_lm_v2.94_1

Hello. I have an Erisin ANDROID 8.1 with MTCE_LM_V2.94_1

I wanted to upgrade to the latest system (in particular not to see that annoying volume bar in the middle of the display).

I know the procedure for upgrading well, but I can't find the correct dmcu.img file anywhere.

Thanks to those who will be able to help me

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So, not compatible.
      I know I'm late to the party, but I just replaced my PX3 with PX30 and it works fine. Yes there are 4 extra pins but it still works even if the 4 extra ones aren't plugged in and just hanging out on the side doing nothing.

I've been told that we can get away with using HA MCU/ROMs on the HT units.

ROMs are not manufacturer specific - you can use any MTCD/E ROM that matches your processor type.

MCUs are manufacturer specific, but many units can be made to use other manufacturer's MCUs, to check this read @marchnz's Cross Compatible MCUs thread.
      So, not compatible.
      As it is possible that the Xtrons that I had before, also Android 8.1, already had the volume bar magically placed in the upper part of the display, and also the time was more visible as in blue and with bigger characters !!! !!

There are no "Xtrons" stereos - Xtrons are a seller, they buy form several different manufactures, stick an "Xtrons" badge on and sell as their own, so it was probably a stereo from a different manufacturer.
      Did so.
      I had to remove some off the PCB to make it fit.
      But it works.
      Issues I'm having:
      It sees my USB and plays the music files, but with no sound.
      I went through factory settings and was unable to get sound out of the USB files.
      Radio sound comes through and that annoying beep when shutting off.

I'm connected to the internet and trying to download some apps I-BUSAPP and so on.
      I get as far as the account loading screen and that's it.
      Nothing is freezing up like before, the response is quick.
      Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thats a very old MCU, I would install the attached one (MTCE LM 3.10) and see if that helps.

Before flashing it, go into factory settings using the password 126 and press "export", after youve flashed the MCU, flash the resulting mcu.cfg file.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone