PX5 stuck in bootloop

Search This thread

paljamp

Feb 17, 2014
Taranto
Flash a full firmware and not just a recovery.

First - with full firmware loaded in android tool, ERASE FLASH first.

Past that, read, try, read. If unable to resolve - you're welcome to send SOM to me in NZ.
Nothing to do, any full firmware I try to install with AndroidTool, installation completed successfully but HU returns to recovery mode. I'm confused, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

P. S. how much would it cost me to send SOM to NZ

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
Nothing to do, any full firmware I try to install with AndroidTool, installation completed successfully but HU returns to recovery mode. I'm confused, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

P. S. how much would it cost me to send SOM to NZ
Return freight only charged. Get an estimate from your local post/freight company to send to Christchurch, NZ 8061.

Reactions: paljamp

paljamp

Feb 17, 2014
Taranto
Return freight only charged. Get an estimate from your local post/freight company to send to Christchurch, NZ 8061.
Shipping from Italy to NZ costs €64.60, it is not convenient, I add another 30 euros and buy the SOM new, we can do this, I'll pay you a beer and explain to me how to recover the SOM. What do you say, can it be done? Thanks

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
Shipping from Italy to NZ costs €64.60, it is not convenient, I add another 30 euros and buy the SOM new, we can do this, I'll pay you a beer and explain to me how to recover the SOM. What do you say, can it be done?

Sincerely, all the information that I have, is in the thread.There's no more magic or hidden information.

One a full MTCD Android .img is flashed via Android Tool, a .zip or OTA update is not necessary - the unit should boot to Android. That is unless wanting to flash an update to the same Android version update after the OTG recovery, which you would let Android boot and then update via recovery/OTA.

Last edited:
Reactions: paljamp

paljamp

Feb 17, 2014
Taranto
Sincerely, all the information that I have, is in the thread.There's no more magic or hidden information.

One a full MTCD Android .img is flashed via Android Tool, a .zip or OTA update is not necessary - the unit should boot to Android. That is unless wanting to flash an update to the same Android version update after the OTG recovery, which you would let Android boot and then update via recovery/OTA.
Yes true and thank you for sharing your experience. At this point I have to give up and buy a new SOM, but it's very strange, I tried all the img updates compatible with my version of HU, AndroidTool writes without any errors but when HU restarts it returns to recovery mode screen 🤷🏻. Thanks anyway for your availability 👍

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
Yes true and thank you for sharing your experience. At this point I have to give up and buy a new SOM, but it's very strange, I tried all the img updates compatible with my version of HU, AndroidTool writes without any errors but when HU restarts it returns to recovery mode screen 🤷🏻. Thanks anyway for your availability 👍
Check that the recovery mode signal isn't being held by the mainboard.

paljamp

Feb 17, 2014
Taranto
I tried the oreo guide but nothing, even with oreo it returns to the recovery screen

Attachments

• 8E0B7212-7535-4608-A133-A2088031F849.jpeg
    8E0B7212-7535-4608-A133-A2088031F849.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 16

paljamp

Feb 17, 2014
Taranto
Hey guys, nobody has any other ideas to propose, I have read all the guides from marchnz and others with no success, in practice AndroidTool writes the full firmware but HU always shows the recovery mode. Is there anything else I can try?

Thank you all for the fantastic work you do

paljamp

Feb 17, 2014
Taranto
Recovery pin. Should read 0v.
Hi marchnz, problem solved, you were right, there was 2.8v on the Recovery pin, the cause was an invisible short circuit, it could only be seen under a microscope. Now everything works except the radio app, no scan and no audio.

Thank you very much, for the great work you have done (y)

Attachments

• Short.jpg
    Short.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: marchnz

paljamp

Feb 17, 2014
Taranto
Now everything works except the radio app, no scan and no audio.
Radio problem solved, I tried to install various update.zip, none worked for FM radio, finally I installed this "telenav_vivid_px5_10.0_ota(20210322).zip" now FM radio works, and the interface is also very nice. But now, there is another small problem that I will solve later, it is the car logo, in the factory reset the items to select the new logo are missing. It doesn't matter at the moment, I'll think about it later. I will post the solution if I can fix it..

Attachments

• Vivid_Laumcher1.jpeg
    Vivid_Laumcher1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • Vivid_Laumcher2.jpeg
    Vivid_Laumcher2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • Vivid_Laumcher3.jpeg
    Vivid_Laumcher3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • Vivid_Laumcher4.jpeg
    Vivid_Laumcher4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • Vivid_Laumcher5.jpeg
    Vivid_Laumcher5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • CarLogoMiss.jpeg
    CarLogoMiss.jpeg
    742.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Reactions: marchnz

IzentAlp

Dec 6, 2022
Hello community,

first of all thanks to all of you for the great work and detailed tutorials so that beginners like me can access the subject of head units.

I tried to swop my Bluetooth module from MD725->RF210 to use Bluetooth on my head unit after upgrading to A10.
I upgraded my head unit to A10 and have had no Bluetooth connection any more (Bluetooth name and password blank).
So I flashed my device with different MCUs to get Bluetooth working.
In the process I changed my factory settings from 'VERSION = 1' to 'VERSION = 3' and bricked my head unit.
When I flash A10 to my SOM via OTG method and boot the system the first time in my head unit - It will boot up and I can navigate. After 1 minute the head unit shuts down and I can't restart the head unit anymore.
When I flash A9 to my SOM via OTG method I'm stuck in a bootloop with the android symbol.
I tried all version from A7 to A10 without success.
Is there a possibility to change factory settings of head unit without booting via OTG?
Any help is welcome.
I have a PX5 SOM. The previous MCU was MTCD1.98c. Now I flashed it with MTCD3.26 and can't change it.

Reactions: spsony120

toldo311

Mar 11, 2024
Hello All,
My Android has stuck on the logo screen, I tried to reset it with no success
Could you help me with how I can re-open it again?
System Version: TS10.1.2_20211020..104245_TW8-Theme
Thank you

Attachments

• tempImageBB4qOP.png
    tempImageBB4qOP.png
    9.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7309.jpg
    IMG_7309.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7310.jpg
    IMG_7310.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 2

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
Hello All,
My Android has stuck on the logo screen, I tried to reset it with no success
Could you help me with how I can re-open it again?
System Version: TS10.1.2_20211020..104245_TW8-Theme
Thank you
It's not an MTCD type unit.

Search forums for "ts10" or go to Android Head-Units forum for posts in there about TS10.

Failing that, use a hammerfor.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This Post details how OTG/LOADER can be achieved to recover a corrupt PX5 or PX3 - any RockChip MTCx SOM

Update 2/2018 - anyone can make a gig without modifying their main board. BUT FIRST try a USB port, some have OTG out of the box.

From the work I've now done, Ive realised you don't need to hack your mainboard. You could temporarily solder connections to SOM or make JIG from header pins or make a simple cable from an old USB cable and two resistors: see: https://xdaforums.com/android-auto/...px3-5-headunit-mod-recover-flash-som-t3766892

Making a jig is necessary , as MCU cuts power to SOM after a few minutes during OTG.( Theory is the MCU watchdog senses an unknown condition in SOM, so resets by power off.) This can be bypassed by another mod to board, but much easier to just make a simple jig.

Need:
    Remove SOM from mainboard.
    Header pins to fit SOM (or solder temporarily to SOM PCB header)
    USB male cable, cut one end off for wires to attach to SOM.
    5v and 3.3v power supply.
    1. Using schematic as guide. Connect earth and +5v pins. Connect 3.3v to [rtc_3.3]
    2. Connect USB wires to SOM [USB-OTG] connections
    3. Connect wire to SOM [ctl_recovery] and wire that to 3.3v.

Colour codes & Notes:
    GREEN = PSU Earth [0v/(-)]
    RED = +5v to PSU
    BLUE = USB
    YELLOW = +3.3 Via 3.3v supply OR use two resistors as a voltage divider 10K to 5v (R1 in image), 15k to earth (R2 in image), center = 3.3v
    NOTE: SINK [CTL_WAKEUP) to GROUND (0v) if unit does not power ON

+5v = 1,2,3
    0v = 4,5,6,71,72,73 and SOM Mounts
    +3.3 = 20,28 (and possibly 9 & 15 - see note re. 15.)

With USB connected, power on. Use tools/load driver as described in recovery thread.

Q/Why hardware mods?
    A/Mods were necessary because out-of-the-box (default) both my GS and JY boards would not enter USB OTG/Loader mode to connect it to a PC for recovery. We now know that a "jig" can be made without sacrificing your mainboard and simply wiring to header pins or buying a SOM header from say Digi-Key.

- Your MTCD may be different -so test first!

Q/My SOM won't appear in device manager or Rockchip Android tool
    A/ If all connections are correct and power is Ok, force MASKROM as detailed here:
    https://xdaforums.com/sho...&postcount=128
    https://xdaforums.com/sho...&postcount=129

***Updated 08/Dec/2017 - Attach image showing USB Male cable connections to mainboard***

** Note - SD recovery boot card did not work for me on PX5 - probably due to version of [rockchip sdcard image create tool] - if anyone has a version that works, please post here.

Updated Feb 2018 - Android 6 SDCARD create tool is now available. Recommend SDCARD method and then OTG if SDCard method fails

Synopsis

My corrupt NAND was successfully reflashed using OTG "LOADER" mode as follows. It became corrupt , stuck in a bootloop and unable to enter recover following flashing a custom (bad) firmware image file.

- Using an MTCD GS board - which I have as a spare part - no display, only board.
    + Windows 10 x86 notebook with rockchip batchtools v1.8, rkimagerepack tool, latest PX5 image.
    + USB stick formatted fat32 with latest PX5 image

Do not do the below mainboard mods, this is completely unnecessary and posted for background on the journey to find a simple way of getting OTG.
    1. Modified the board as follows:
    A. Desolder and lift pins 27 & 28 of USB hub GL850 (thanks to xda user @ikerg and 4pda - for the lead)
    B. Solder Male USB a cable to GS board USB 1 connections (See below attached image showing where USB male plug wires were soldered)
    C. Remove pin to RK PX5 SOM [ctl_recovery]
    D. Solder a wire directly on PX5 SOM header on [ctl_recovery]. This wire is used to trigger recovery.

Process
    Initial recovery image: Because the PX5 firmware (OTG) "LOADER" process timeout appears to be approx 1 minute, it was necessary to create a recovery only image, as the 1.2gb PX5 firmware file exceeds the timeout, aborting the flash.
    Using RKIMAGEREPACK, I created a image with a dummy zero byte system.img. This resulted in a 200mb image file.

- Loaded [rockchip batch tools] on notebook.
    - Installed rockchip drivers
    - connected USB cable to notebook
    - held [ctl_recovery] wire to [mcu 3.3v test pad]
    - Powered headunit on
    - Notebook 'USB chime' was heard and board became connected, as indicated as highlighted '1' in rkbatchtools
    - wiped flash
    - selected firmware image without system created above and flashed to PX5
    - powered off, removed PX5 SOM and refitted to JY headunit board
    - On JY headunit, powered on, entered recovery via [holding powerbutton for approx 15sec - wait for 3 flashes of led] press once more.

Successful boot into recovery - started booting recovery and warned that system image was not valid. PX5 self-formatted system and awaited image.
    - inserted USB stick with latest PX5 image and upgraded.

First boot waited for 5 minutes. Pressed reset and rebooted - successful recovery!

The warning here is that the PX3 SDCARD image create tool does not work for PX5 - even when using a PX5 image.

Why did I post this? Original Post:
    I have a (JY) MTCD with HA 2..56 MCU PX5 stuck in a boot loop - "starting apps" appeared and then it reboots, looping. I was unable to access recovery via any of the standard recovery processes (e.g.holding the power button or boot into recovery via bootable SDCARD.
    ========================================
    On SDCard boot - works OK on PX3 but on PX5, only a black screen is displayed without any text.
    SDCard and button holding recovery methods worked OK on PX3 board, but not the PX5 Module when the SOM NAND was corrupt.
    PX5 SOM rev4.0 MaskROM

Tracking the MaskROM pads on the rev8.0 SOM I found that exposing the tracks between the PX5 processor and the eMMC is not necessarily needed for the rev4.0 SOM. Take a look at the attached pictures.
    PX5 SOM rev8.0 MaskROM

I have the confirmation that those round pads near the tracks between PX5 processor and the eMMC are for entering MaskROM!
    Klyde OTG

Good news, bad news.

Bad news first:
    - My PX5 2GB RAM is still bricked (or fried), can't access it via OTG.
    - New PX5 4GB RAM has arrived, all good but no WiFi (refuses to turn on, still looking for the reason).

Good news (at least for the Klyde users):
    No hardware modification needed for OTG/ADB access on the MTCD units!
    Just need to adapt an USB male cable to fit the highlighted port on the back of the unit like in the attached picture.
    Ok thanks. I first try it. If its not working I must wait if you guys can help with the maskrom mode right? Thank you guys for youre help :eek:

Edit: Just tried the OTG Method but also not working for me. Windows not reconizing my device. @marchnz Can you please show us in this Picture what to do to get it working on our px5 device?

Your connections look OK, but missing OTG_DET pin 28, which has +1.8v on it when connected to USB. (Detects when OTG USB is connected.)

As I have a jig made from a working motherboard, I am awaiting a header to mock up like you guys. I'll try making one out of wires like you have over the weekend and let you know.

I'm very keen to see more people get OTG so there's more people capable of helping out others that are that are stuck - others that are unable to make a jig might then have someone located closer and save on freight or having to replace their SOM :)