• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] 340mb ram instead of 512mb?

Search This thread

lviv73

Mar 3, 2010
Buffalo NY
My tw taskmanager shows only 340mb ram instead of 512mb, after some research I found that the rest of the ram is used for ramdisk,is that true?
If so,is there a way to use all of 512mb for ram?And does this make Epic inferior to Vibrant,Captivate and Fascinate or better?

thephawx

Jun 9, 2010
All Galaxy S phones have 512 MBs of RAM. And I do believe all are the same. At least the i9000 and the Epic are.

lordcyrus

Jun 23, 2010
NJ
The phone has a physical 512MB of RAM, but I don't believe that the stock kernel currently supports more than 340MB.

lviv73

Mar 3, 2010
Buffalo NY
All Galaxy S phones have 512 MBs of RAM. And I do believe all are the same. At least the i9000 and the Epic are.
Check your built in taskmanager(by holding home button),it only shows 324mb total ram,so no they not all the same.Yes we do have 512mb but only 324mb(give or take few mb) is used for actual ram,the rest is used as ramdisk(cache).Vibrant and Captivate uses whole 512mb as ram and internal rom(hd) for cache,im not sure about original Galaxy or Fascinate.

Believe me extra ram not being available has huge impact on performance,i owned MT3gs with 512mb ram and 600mhz cpu and it felt just as fast as my Epic if not faster even with Sense.
This could explain big lag im getting with 4-5 apps open,i could have 10 apps open on Mytouch slide with no lag.

Whosdaman

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 9, 2008
Gainesville, Florida
Check your built in taskmanager(by holding home button),it only shows 324mb total ram,so no they not all the same.Yes we do have 512mb but only 324mb(give or take few mb) is used for actual ram,the rest is used as ramdisk(cache).Vibrant and Captivate uses whole 512mb as ram and internal rom(hd) for cache,im not sure about original Galaxy or Fascinate.

Believe me extra ram not being available has huge impact on performance,i owned MT3gs with 512mb ram and 600mhz cpu and it felt just as fast as my Epic if not faster even with Sense.
This could explain big lag im getting with 4-5 apps open,i could have 10 apps open on Mytouch slide with no lag.
There is a reason why. There is no dalvik cache push to sd for our devices yet. If we could get an ext2 or ext3 or ext 4 for our sd cards and move the cache there, it would be a whole new ball game. But it's no availible for us yet

islanda73

Apr 9, 2010
Maybe to balance the phones out because epic has 2 cameras and keyboard

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

lviv73

Mar 3, 2010
Buffalo NY
I wonder if other models have same ram or they have full 512mb of usable ram without ramdisk,and does that makes epic faster or slower?
I know my MT3gs was way faster with stock sense 600mhz cpu and 512 ram(without sd cache),sounds like this phone needs that extra 128+ram because extra ram makes more difference than faster cpu,324mb ram I dont think is sufficient for 2.1 to run smoothly.Hope someone comes up with something so we can use whole 512mb as ram and internal rom or sd for cache.

dondadah88

Jan 5, 2007
The reason why we have only 320 showing is because samsung moved the cache there to prevent the lag some people here talkming about the galaxy s having.
Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

mormegil83

Sep 3, 2010
Harrisburg
All 5 galaxy s phones have 512mb but the epic and fascinate are limited to the 300 and something because our phones are the only ones that don't have a massive amount of internal sd like the others. We ours uses the more typical smaller amount of rom and the missing ram is used to stop touchwiz from lagging! Why do manufacturers and carriers keep ****ing up android!? Love this device but I can customize it myself just fine without the extra tw layer eating my resources and slowing my upgrade releases!

Sent from my Epic 4G using xda app

lviv73

Mar 3, 2010
Buffalo NY
We have 512mb rom which can be used for cache,i have all the apps I need installed in /system/app folder and still have 400mb free,how much should be dedicated to android swap 128,256?So there is plenty of room and for those people that have about 100 apps on they phone they need to wait for a2sd.

Still no one has answered if its possible to use whole 512mb for ram,this phone really neads it,most of the time I have 3-4 apps open and about 80mb ram free-thats not good.Epic has fastets rom out of any model,now if we could use it for cache and a2sd for apps,plus whole 512mb as ram,than this thing would fly.128 for swap is a waste,plus I think that this 128mb actualy takes away from GPU's vram.