[Q&A]Bricks, boot loops, and random shutdowns | Ask here | No new threads

Search This thread

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
I did what you said and it's been 5 hours since that. I have seen no reboots in this period but the only way to confirm is to wait overnight. Although I think it might actually be fixed but we shall see. Thank you so much for your help. I'll tell if it reboots.

No need to wait overnight, if you haven't seen a reboot or any confirmation you can abort and start over. Flashing a ruu is a matter of minutes.

Or manually power on the device if its off now or reflash the ruu if needed and check the screen what messages are displayed. Have you seen any messages at all anyway ?

All info is welcome and valuable to enable us to troubleshoot.....

May 29, 2015
No need to wait overnight, if you haven't seen a reboot or any confirmation you can abort and start over. Flashing a ruu is a matter of minutes.

Or manually power on the device if its off now or reflash the ruu if needed and check the screen what messages are displayed. Have you seen any messages at all anyway ?

Flashing it is easy but restoring data takes a long time. God, I miss my nexus and twrp.
No, I haven't seen any error messages. It wasn't detecting the ruu at first but then I realized I had my sd card flashed as internal storage. After that, everything worked out perfectly!

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

It rebooted again.

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
Flashing it is easy but restoring data takes a long time. God, I miss my nexus and twrp.
No, I haven't seen any error messages. It wasn't detecting the ruu at first but then I realized I had my sd card flashed as internal storage. After that, everything worked out perfectly!

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

It rebooted again.

So the ruu flashed fine and Android OS is running, you are only talking restoring data ? If so it's all good. Restoring your data is on your behalf, helping with the ruu and getting back to stock was your main problem if i am correct which is resolved ?

May 29, 2015
So the ruu flashed fine and Android OS is running, you are only talking restoring data ? If so it's all good. Restoring your data is on your behalf, helping with the ruu and getting back to stock was your main problem if i am correct which is resolved ?

It was fine for 5 hours. Now it rebooted again 2 times after flashing ruu.

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

Try flashing the RUU for it. It will wipe the phone, but it will hopefully fix everything. So, backup anything that you feel is important before you proceed.

Download this.

Since you are stock, I'm guessing that your knowledge of ADB and fastboot is limited, so I'll make it easier for you.

Rename the downloaded RUU.zip by deleting everything in the the name of it except for 2PS6IMG (and .zip of course). Then place that onto an extSD and insert into your phone, or transfer it to your extSD already in your phone.

Boot to download mode (power off your phone, then boot it up by holding both the volume down and the power button).

Follow the onscreen prompts (vol up to confirm the flash ~ power button to reboot when it's done)

And that's it.

If you have everything backed up to Google, pretty much everything will be the same as before after you sign in.

Good luck!
So It rebooted 2 times after flashing ruu. Flashing it didn't really help.

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
It was fine for 5 hours. Now it rebooted again 2 times after flashing ruu.

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

So It rebooted 2 times after flashing ruu. Flashing it didn't really help.

Oh did you mean that. Well then i guess it's not software/firmware related. Did you happen to test it also without restoring data ? If it's not the data then it's hardware related. Probably faulty battery.

Reactions: xunholyx
May 29, 2015
Oh did you mean that. Well then i guess it's not software/firmware related. Did you happen to test it also without restoring data ? If it's not the data then it's hardware related. Probably faulty battery.

I did not test it without restoring data. I'm probably going to do it tomorrow and spend the whole day in safe mode. If it still reboots then it's probably a hardware issue. The reason I'm putting in safe mode is that I read another forum and there was this person having the exact same issue. His issue was resolved after he checked that some old faulty app was messing with the binaries. Others say it might be a battery issue.

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
I did not test it without restoring data. I'm probably going to do it tomorrow and spend the whole day in safe mode. If it still reboots then it's probably a hardware issue. The reason I'm putting in safe mode is that I read another forum and there was this person having the exact same issue. His issue was resolved after he checked that some old faulty app was messing with the binaries. Others say it might be a battery issue.

Cheers, hopefully it will hold in safe mode. At least some improvement if it does.

May 29, 2015
HTC 10 still randomly reboots

Cheers, hopefully it will hold in safe mode. At least some improvement if it does.

Tired safe mode, still reboots. Tried flashing ruu again without data restoration and in safe mode, still reboots. It reboots literally every time I play a video on YouTube. I check the crash log files in udove report and it just keeps on loading and loading and never loads. The most notable thing is that whenever it reboots, the phone automatically logs me out of different accounts. Like the app had been cleared data. I've seen it doing with Youtube (logs me out, clears app data), Facebook (logs me out, doesn't clear data) and Google Assistant (prompts me to setup Assistant again). It may be a battery issue but I feel like this issue may be going towards some other hardware related issue. Although it might be software but very unlikely. I've attached the screenshots from the udove report if any of you can try to figure it out what is happening.

May 29, 2015
Went to a repair shop. They said that HTC 10 is very fragile and they need assurity that while replacing battery, if they happen to break the lcd of the device they will not be responsible. So, is there really no fix? I really doubt that.

Supreme_One

Apr 21, 2013
I don't know what exactly happened but I was doing the battery reset trick by holding volume up/down and power button for almost 1.5 min after I saw my HTC flashing the grey logo (the logo you say when you enter the bootloader) and after that I couldn't power on my phone anymore. It's doing literally nothing not even charging. Can I solve this problem or is it RIP for me?

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
I don't know what exactly happened but I was doing the battery reset trick by holding volume up/down and power button for almost 1.5 min after I saw my HTC flashing the grey logo (the logo you say when you enter the bootloader) and after that I couldn't power on my phone anymore. It's doing literally nothing not even charging. Can I solve this problem or is it RIP for me?

The answer is obvious, keep trying all different button combos to see if it give any sign of life. Plugged in and without charger.

Nothing else to suggest.

Foxsnipe

Aug 24, 2013
So I'll start off by saying I haven't read this whole thread, it's simply too dense and obviously different carries are going to be discussed. I did do a quick thread search for Verizon and only two results came up, neither seemed related. And apologies for the long post but I'll give as much history as I can to help.

I have a Verizon HTC 10, been running stock ROM but I did root (via Sunshine when support was added) it so I could gain some better control. Never really did any OS upgrade on it so I'm fairly sure I was still running Marshmallow (hadn't cared to look recently). I was using TWRP and SuperSU without issue for years. Me being the idiot I decided to try and move to Magisk instead. I had Xposed/RootCloak installed but those are the first things I removed (using the "Uninstall" option within Xposed) and then removed the apps/APKs from the OS settings. No issues during that. Removed SuperSU and again no issues. I installed Magisk's manager and flashed v19 via TWRP and it was running, at least enough that Root requests were successful. I tried to install the hider/SafetyNet fix for HTC 10s but it complained Magisk wasn't activated so I decided to try and downgrade to the Magisk that appears to be common at the time of that thread, v13. I think v13.3 is specifically what I went looking for.

I uninstalled Magisk from within its manager and rebooted, also removed the Manager itself. I installed Manager v5.2.0 (trying to keep dates of the two components near one another) and then tried to flash Magisk v13.3 via TWRP. This is where I think everything went wrong. Not sure if an uninstall didn't fully work, there was some kind of conflict between un/install, or just really bad luck but now my HTC is stuck at the green "HTC" logo (including the red disclaimer about a dev build) and never progresses. It's definitely not a reboot loop, it just gets to that point and never progressed. I let the phone sit for 10+ min and nothing changed other than it getting extremely hot from the backlight being on full blast.

Hard to keep track of what all I've done already but I've tried (re)flashing both v19 & v13.3 of Magisk, (re)flashing the SuperSU files I've had on my storage from way back when (trying to get back to my normal state these past years), deleting (Dalvik) Cache (which failed, it wasn't mounting them for some reason), etc. Nothing seems to work. At that point I told TWRP to do a backup of the System, Data & Boot partitions then I tried a "factory reset" from the Download mode but it didn't seem to do a bit of good (it went into TWRP and something was executing/logging there but I didn't get a good look). I know during some of the reflashing of Magisk it complained about not being able to mount /cache, I don't remember how I finally got past that but now it mounts. As of right now my System partition is 3556MB, System Image is 4304MB, Cache is 8MB, Boot & Recovery are both 64MB. Data is 0. The other thing I'll mention is TWRP keeps complaining about not being able to mount /carrier

So now my phone is stuck and I just want to get it back & hopefully restore all my data, whether that's with SuperSU or Magisk (latter would be preferred I guess). From what I can tell, I should be able to possible restore the ROM to a default Verizon image, correct? Recovery & Download modes both work. I searched through the "[STOCK] Guides and Stock Backups/Recovery/OTA/RUU" thread and found this post that looks like the correct file for Verizon HTC 10s. In Download mode my phone lists CID-VZW__001 & MID-2PS650000. My bootloader lists out a status of Official, Locked, S-Off. If I'm understanding the process correctly, I can just download that 2PS6IMG_PERFUME_..._2.41.605.30.zip file, truncate the name to 2PS6IMG.zip, place it on the root of my SD and let the Download mode process it while crossing all my fingers and hoping for the best?

Any help is appreciated.

venom55521

May 22, 2019
HTC 10 bootloop fix,where to start?

i have an issue with my phone i desperately need it fixed and/or backed up as well, its an HTC 10 ,and cant get it to boot up,i have researched the problem, it cant get into recovery nor download mode only bootloader, wont charge properly,when cable connects,it begins to boot loop, when i turn it on ,it bootloops until battery dies, have changed battery and charger port. i haven't yet to install software or able to back up phone using a program like dr.fone or other recovery programs that can install a flash. really need this phone back working to stop boot loop, it is not rooted so i havent tried other ways to install anything to prevent the bootloop. i have done the button functions that involved holding down volume and power button. can only go into bootloader, other functions only attempt but do not follow through thus back to bootloop. again I have yet to try other methods that involve SD cards, using Ruu files, recovery programs like dr.fone. phone is still stock not rooted.
really need to know what Can i try or able to do, open to any suggestions for fixing and recovering, if any my questions have been answered please leave a link to a thread so i may look it ,many forums just need most up to date info before i try it. also upon reading forums , i need to know where to start before using ruu, twrp ,etc.

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
i have an issue with my phone i desperately need it fixed and/or backed up as well, its an HTC 10 ,and cant get it to boot up,i have researched the problem, it cant get into recovery nor download mode only bootloader, wont charge properly,when cable connects,it begins to boot loop, when i turn it on ,it bootloops until battery dies, have changed battery and charger port. i haven't yet to install software or able to back up phone using a program like dr.fone or other recovery programs that can install a flash. really need this phone back working to stop boot loop, it is not rooted so i havent tried other ways to install anything to prevent the bootloop. i have done the button functions that involved holding down volume and power button. can only go into bootloader, other functions only attempt but do not follow through thus back to bootloop. again I have yet to try other methods that involve SD cards, using Ruu files, recovery programs like dr.fone. phone is still stock not rooted.
really need to know what Can i try or able to do, open to any suggestions for fixing and recovering, if any my questions have been answered please leave a link to a thread so i may look it ,many forums just need most up to date info before i try it. also upon reading forums , i need to know where to start before using ruu, twrp ,etc.

Will you please STOP crossposting ! It's confusing and annoying at the same time.

Foxsnipe

Aug 24, 2013
I have a Verizon HTC 10, been running stock ROM but I did root (via Sunshine when support was added) it so I could gain some better control. Never really did any OS upgrade on it so I'm fairly sure I was still running Marshmallow (hadn't cared to look recently). I was using TWRP and SuperSU without issue for years. Me being the idiot I decided to try and move to Magisk instead.

I uninstalled Magisk from within its manager and rebooted, also removed the Manager itself. I installed Manager v5.2.0 (trying to keep dates of the two components near one another) and then tried to flash Magisk v13.3 via TWRP. This is where I think everything went wrong. Not sure if an uninstall didn't fully work, there was some kind of conflict between un/install, or just really bad luck but now my HTC is stuck at the green "HTC" logo (including the red disclaimer about a dev build) and never progresses. It's definitely not a reboot loop, it just gets to that point and never progressed. I let the phone sit for 10+ min and nothing changed other than it getting extremely hot from the backlight being on full blast.

So now my phone is stuck and I just want to get it back & hopefully restore all my data, whether that's with SuperSU or Magisk (latter would be preferred I guess). From what I can tell, I should be able to possible restore the ROM to a default Verizon image, correct? Recovery & Download modes both work. I searched through the "[STOCK] Guides and Stock Backups/Recovery/OTA/RUU" thread and found this post that looks like the correct file for Verizon HTC 10s. In Download mode my phone lists CID-VZW__001 & MID-2PS650000. My bootloader lists out a status of Official, Locked, S-Off. If I'm understanding the process correctly, I can just download that 2PS6IMG_PERFUME_..._2.41.605.30.zip file, truncate the name to 2PS6IMG.zip, place it on the root of my SD and let the Download mode process it while crossing all my fingers and hoping for the best?

In case it wasn't obvious from my post size this is a cry for help and not personal suggestions. ;)
It's been a busy week & I haven't had time to take the plunge on this flash yet, been surviving with the work cell. Could really use some guidance (or even just reassurance) if I'm on the right track. Last thing I want to do is lose TWRP in a flash or make things worse/lock myself out of recovery options.

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
In case it wasn't obvious from my post size this is a cry for help and not personal suggestions. ;)
It's been a busy week & I haven't had time to take the plunge on this flash yet, been surviving with the work cell. Could really use some guidance (or even just reassurance) if I'm on the right track. Last thing I want to do is lose TWRP in a flash or make things worse/lock myself out of recovery options.

The method you described in your previous post is a correct way to flash the RUU.zip. You WILL lose TWRP, as the RUU contains the stock recovery. Don't worry about that though, it's super simple to flash it back after the RUU.
Also, after you flash the RUU, check in settings for updates. You should be able to update to 3.18.605.13 via OTAs.
After you are updated to that, download the latest TWRP for the HTC 10, put it into your adb/fastboot folder, boot to download mode, open cmd and:
fastboot flash recovery **drag and drop the TWRP.img here**

Reactions: Mr Hofs

Foxsnipe

Aug 24, 2013
The method you described in your previous post is a correct way to flash the RUU.zip.

Thanks! I was able to flash the image and then run the updates and the phone is now on v8 with TWRP back in. It was booting up fine so I then went back into TWRP to restore the /data backup I made (which was after the phone first stopped loading). The first boot after that looked good and it said Android was updating apps. Unfortunately the phone is now stuck in a reboot loop. It loads up (HTC -> Verizon splash screens; "Android is starting") and starts to show the lock-screen/notification bar but then it dies and restarts the boot.
I did do a TWRP backup after the flash/OTA updates so I can wipe /data and put that back if needed to restore a full boot.

I guess some application/data restored from my backup is giving it grief. Is there a way to go into the TWRP backup and pull out certain applications/data and see if it helps, or use TWRP's file manager and manually drill into the post-restore folder structure (/data/app I guess?) and delete files to see if it helps? Might be painful of course, shame TWRP can't take action on folders

[Edit] I started the phone in Safe Mode hoping that might prevent the restart but no luck, still triggered once the lock screen started loading. Forgot to mention I did hard a 3rd party lock screen installed before the initial issue, Microsoft's Next lock screen (since discontinued and folded into their Microsoft Launcher app I think).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread has been created for users who are experiencing a hard brick, soft brick, boot loop, or random shutdown on their HTC 10. Feel free to ask your question(s) here.

Going forward, new threads created regarding the topics listed above will be CLOSED by the moderating staff. Please remember to follow the XDA forum rules when posting.

Cheers,

Magnum_Enforcer
    FSM
    Possible Explanation for the Random Shutdown and Boot Looping

My phone was initially fine but then suffered this dreaded random shutdown and boot loop. And then after doing a certain technique, it didn't repeat when the phone got down to below 20%. I have a theory as to why this problem is happening.

After I charged my phone back up to 100%, I then pressed and held the volume buttons and power button simultaneously for about 2 minutes. Upon release, battery level was 89%. I charged it back up to 100% and repeated. Next battery level was 92%. Repeated, and then battery level was 97%. From there I just charged normally back to 100% and let it gradually drain down from there. When I hit 25%, I put the screen on maximum and streamed YouTube videos. The battery level began to drop about 2% after each video. I got to 17%, stopped, and rebooted. 16% and still no shutdown and boot looping. After it got below 15% I got a low battery warning, and still no shut down. At 12% it was still running.

I have a new (to me) theory that what may be happening is some kind of firmware issue, where the "adaptive" monitoring of the battery becomes flawed and thus the percentage battery level becomes misinterpreted. That's why there's that auto-shut down. Because the battery REALLY IS LOW, but the Android OS doesn't know it. And then the battery's safety circuitry kicks in and aborts power to the phone. Where it all goes wrong is when the battery becomes a bit worn after a year or so of use. The firmware starts to collect faulty battery status data and then erroneously report the battery level. THIS IS WHY, the phone tries to "boot loop" after the shutdown because it still has faulty battery data. It keeps trying, but the battery says "NO"... and denies sufficient power to complete. And then when you plug in the phone, the battery won't stop the phone from booting up because now the phone has sufficient power, so it completes. Only somehow at that moment, the firmware finally shows the right battery level. 1%.

What cemented my theory was when I plugged my phone back in to my A/C powered USB charger, but this time I did not use the Quick Charge 3.0 port. I used a normal port. And within about 30 minutes, I check the phone and it's showing a 40% power level. That's too fast. From 12%, it should take about 2~3 full hours to charge back up to 100%, and in about 1 hour with Quick Charge. What it suggests to me is that the firmware is still screwing up the battery power level interpretation.

So ultimately this problem isn't the battery. Batteries do wear down, and that's a fact. But from my observations I think it's the firmware in the HTC 10 that's screwing up in it's sensing of the actual battery power level. It gets "out of sync" and thus, this dreaded shutdown starts happening, anywhere from 20~50% power level, maybe more. It may be the micro code in the kernel... which is why some people who switched to a different kernel aren't suffering this problem.

The HTC 10 firmware (or kernel) is PREVENTING the battery from fully charging, because it decides it's 100%, when it really isn't. And to get it to do so, you have to "force" it to see the actual lower battery level.

Replacing the battery TEMPORARILY solves the problem, because the battery is fresh and new. But once the battery starts to accumulate some wear on it, this problem will repeat again... until the firmware (or kernel) is replaced. And if you stick with this flawed battery management code, what you'll have to do is make sure the battery REALLY IS at 100%, by doing that 3 button press for 2 minutes, then charge again. It's the only way to get the battery fully topped off, because the phone is actually not letting it get high enough. What you see is 100%, but it's probably more like 60~80%. And that's why, when the battery starts getting below 50%, you end up in that precarious situation where the battery is actually now in the "danger zone" of really low, but the phone is not reporting it... and thus, shutdown occurs.

Alternative: Of course, this is all speculation from someone who is not an engineer. It's also possible that perhaps it's not so much the kernel as it could be actual hardware in the phone, somewhere in the interface between the battery and the CPU. And thus a replacement kernel like ElementalX is able to overcome it. HTC should take it upon themselves to figure this out... because if it can happen on a phone like the HTC 10, who knows -- maybe it's going to pop up on newer models too. They should understand what's going wrong so they can prevent it from happening again.
    I'm no expert in this my self just FYI, but installing a RUU is usually a straight forward process.
    You need to download a ruu for your particular CID (Depens on where the phone was sold and what -if any- carrier the phone is locked to.)
    I have an european unlocked one so the RUU I used was this: https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=817550096634797504
    You can find more in this thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-10/how-to/stock-stock-collection-recovery-ruu-ota-t3359297

Download the ruu (just short of 2GB in size) , rename it to 2PS6IMG.zip and put it in the root of an SD-card and insert it into the phone.
    Reboot it into download mode by holding power+volume down until the grey HTC logo appears.
    It should now detect the zip file in the sd-card and ask you to install it. Press volume up to confirm.

This will re-install everything (System image, recovery, firmware etc) all existing data gets destroyed.
    Worked like a charm for me, and was able to do a Oreo OTA right away after the first boot.
    It's 1.96.708.5
    CID is from Hong Kong.
    Well a quick search in the stock thread came up with this Oreo RUU
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/ht...ection-recovery-ruu-ota-t3359297/post75300717
    If that matches your CID your good to go
    Well, I suppose you are not booting into system, are you? If you are not and OEM lock is enabled + you dont have TWRP flashed - the only way (I know of) is to get RUU file for your CID and MID (since you are s-on). Also It needs to be an Oreo RUU. Unfortunately I wasnt able to find any for your android version (3.16.401.2)
    Best chance is to contact HTC support (they have online chat) and ask them if they can provide RUU for this version.