[Q&A]Bricks, boot loops, and random shutdowns | Ask here | No new threads

Search This thread

notslow1

Jun 18, 2010
I have a rooted HTC10 , sunshine with twrp and stock rom. It did this out of nowhere after the phone died from low battery, just started rebooting and never worked again. I would be perfectly happy to toss it in the can by now, but I have photos that were on the phone I'd like to recover. Is there any way to get this thing to work long enough to get my data?

I can't boot into download or recovery. I can get to bootloader, but any choice starts bootloop again, even if I choose shutdown, it just starts bootlooping.
Most of the fixed I've seen are focused on getting the phone working, but maybe reset, wiped. I need to recover data.

Any help would be hugely appreciated

May 29, 2015
Hello, for I am back with my randomly restarting htc 10 verizon. So, during the past months I've noticed patterns on how it reboots. It reboots whenever I watch a video. I believe it's not a battery problem as when it's going to restart, the phone just hangs.. does noting even if you press power button or volume buttons. It literally freezes up for 10 seconds or something and then restarts. Tried flashing ruu, nothing happened, factory data reset, nothing happened and my last hope was htc sync manager repair tool and to my surprise, sync manager says that there is no software available for my device. I'm pretty sure this phone will never get fixed but ya know just putting it out there. Maybe someone will know what to do.

teodargent

Aug 30, 2013
I have an HTC 10 with leedroid stuck in bootloop (S-ON). My father was using it when it ran out of battery and when he rebooted it was stuck in bootloop. I can't enter download mode or recovery (the grey htc logo will come up but it will fail to enter download mode and it will just turn off). I can only enter the white background bootloader mode (vol up + vol down + power). Is it recoverable?

hemingway60

Apr 22, 2012
Hi,
So I went to apkmirror and updated like 3-4 htc apps via the apks provided (nothing that I haven't done before). I believe the apps were HTC battery, extreme power saver mode and the phone and phone management apps. I restarted my phone and now it gets stuck on boot up...? Basically reaches the screen right after the spinning htc dots and green logo. It shows the message "Android is starting" and then goes black, vibrates, and shows that same message over and over. I can get into recovery, download mode etc just fine. I tried wiping cache but that didn't work.
That leaves me with factory resetting although I'd seriously want to avoid that as I haven't backed up things in a month and I can't afford losing certain texts and pictures that are on the internal memory. Any idea what I can do right now? It's completely stock and with S-ON and locked bootloader.
I was considering somehow copying the data on it in any way or maybe using adb to uninstall the probably offending apps but I couldn't find a way.

xdadevelopers-user

Oct 22, 2010
Stuck in 9008 mode. Any suggestion on where I can send it for repair? Or is it generally not worth repairing?

thanks

xdadevelopers-user

td1010

Sep 7, 2008
I (used to) have an T-Mobile HTC 10 with "the latest" stock firmware, meaning that I was still running Android Nougat. So my fingerprint reader started to stop working sporadically within the past month. This weekend I decided to try and address the issue and upgrade to a new version of Android while I was at it.

Bad idea.

I unlocked the phone via HTC's developer site and installed TWRP. It was all downhill from there.

I started off trying to flash fagyi's Pixel Experience 9 ROM (https://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-10/development/9-0-0-pixel-experience-t3924372). I realize now that was a mistake because that requires a phone with Oreo firmware, which, my phone being a T-Mobile variant, did not.
Somehow the flash looked like it succeeded, so I rebooted the phone.

That led to an infinite bootloop.

I tried doing a full wipe and reflashing the Pixel Experience 9 ROM again. This time it properly reported that the ROM was incompatible, but that meant that I had no ROM to revert back to (oh, did I forget to mention I forgot to do a NANDroid backup?).

I then tried downloading multiple other ROMs to see if any would help. Two that actually did work were faygi's lineage 15.1 (https://forum.xda-developers.com/ht...lineageos-15-1-unofficial-builds-pme-t3808812) and crdroid's 7.1.2 (https://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-10/development/rom-crdroid-v1-9-t3533291). However, both of these ROMs loaded without SIM support (both say there is no SIM), so that leads me to believe I've somehow wiped my radio information.

I began looking into restoring to stock ROM. But it looks like HTC's RUU links are all dead, so I tried to download what I believed to be the T-Mobile stock ROM (https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24549084345926565) from here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-10/how-to/stock-stock-collection-recovery-ruu-ota-t3359297. I ran a restore of this from TWRP, which succeeded but led to another bootloop on reboot.

So now I am my wit's end...what can I do?

At a minimal state I need to get my phone back up and running on the T-Mobile network. Ideally this would be on Oreo or Pie, but at this point I'd just like to have a working phone!

cid: T-MOB010 S-ON

v587zzy

Apr 13, 2017

I began looking into restoring to stock ROM. But it looks like HTC's RUU links are all dead, so I tried to download what I believed to be the T-Mobile stock ROM (https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24549084345926565) from here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-10/how-to/stock-stock-collection-recovery-ruu-ota-t3359297. I ran a restore of this from TWRP, which succeeded but led to another bootloop on reboot.

So now I am my wit's end...what can I do?

At a minimal state I need to get my phone back up and running on the T-Mobile network. Ideally this would be on Oreo or Pie, but at this point I'd just like to have a working phone!

cid: T-MOB010 S-ON

Fate has decided I did exactly the same thing as you did except my phone was in the drawer for 3 years.

I had it in boot loop and now start trying the stock image. And I have successfully restored and able to boot into the system. pheew

You have to do a few things.

a. make sure twrp is available
b. fast adb available

1. vol down + power button boot into bootloader, you can release power button when htc logo show up, keep holding down button
Code:
fastboot getvar all
3. look for the output for version-main: mine is: (bootloader) version-main: 2.46.617.2
4. go to stock backups and search the version number (mine is 2.46.617.2) in the thread search, hope someone has put up a twrp back up untouched system+boot (or with recovery)
5. do the restore trick, ( you dont have to restore recovery)

good luck

Reactions: moonzbabysh

notslow1

Jun 18, 2010
Does anyone know a way to recover data from one of these bootlooping turds?
I just want to be sure I shouldn't throw it in the wood chipper if there is some chance of getting my photos back.

FluffyDiscord

Feb 7, 2018
Device:
S-OFF,
usb debugging on
oreo firmware
uhl_pme 0__34
edit:
getvar all
https://prnt.sc/p0qyu2

Short version:
Hi, I got myself, I think, bricked phone, where I cant get in twrp, nor download mode, the only thing that works is bootloader.

The story:
Yesterday I was browsing internet when device freezed, so I hard rebooted to BL where I wanned to go to TWRP and clear cache and remove Magisk, to see if its a module doing. After selecting recovery mode, device just rebooted and went to bootloop. I thought okay, something bad is going on, I will try to reflash twrp.
So, reboot to BL > select download mode > got two results - either I get black screen where `fastboot flash`/`htc_fastboot flash` just hangs forever (in task manager it seems to be doing something, because it eats whole CPU core, but theres no update on screen, as it should be) or device just reboots and nothing happens.
I tried, maybe 20-30 times to get in twrp or download mode, trying to access either of them.
Only once I got TWRP splash screen and then reboot and only once got into download mode, where I went ahead and flashed nougat fullwipe stock firmware 2.41 (tried to get to nougat and run ruu.exe from BL), it did finish properly, but when you downgrade, we need to run it twice and I could not get into DL mode again to do so.
Any tips ? Is my phone dead ? I have it two years, dont want to pay for another phone if possible :(

edit: trying to 'fastboot boot twrp_recovery.img' gives me this error, no idea what it means https://prnt.sc/p0rnoq

UPDATE: I was able to somehow successfully flash nougat firmware and nougat RUU in download mode from sdcard, but after booting up, after a while device froze and went back to bootloop, is this HW issue then?
Now I am unable to power it up, It had about 40% of battery, before. Plugging in charger does not wake it up and theres no heat. Probably dead

Last edited:

HaiderZeus

Mar 3, 2014
Kuala Lumpur/ Malaysia
Hello everyone, I have faced quite a confusing issue on my HTC 10 and here are the details:

I have owned this HTC 10 for 3 years and it's been running like clockwork all the time no matter what I threw at it. It's battery life dropped significantly, but other than that the device has been great. I never rooted it or unlocked the bootloader. It's been running on stock OS from HTC all the time and I never manipulated that. These are the device information:

OS: Android Oreo 8.0 stock from HTC, installed on Jan, 2018 via the official OTA update I received at the time.
OS Build: 3.16.401.2
S-ON

A few weeks ago, I left it charging while it was in extreme power saving mode. Not the first time it goes to extreme power saving mode automatically and not the first time I charge it while it is in that mode. I left it charging for a bit longer than usual as I got occupied and forgot about it. After about 10 hours give or take, I went to take it off the charger to find it stuck in a bit of a strange boot loop. So the device boots up normally getting through the splash screen and HTC animated bootup logo. The lock screen comes up. I can unlock the screen normally. Both the pin and finger print scanner work fine. Once I unlock the screen I find the device in extreme power saving mode even though the battery level is above 80%. When I try to exit from extreme power saving mode a crash pop-up message comes up telling me that "Battery has stopped working" and it asks me if I'd want to send an error report. About four seconds after that an other error message stating "Setup has stopped working" comes up and three seconds after that the device reboots and the whole thing happens again. If I don't attempt to exit the extreme power saving mode that "Setup has stopped working" error comes up too and the device restarts. If I don't unlock the screen I get that error message on my lock screen and the device restarts. So basically it is stuck in that loop now and it keeps restarting.

I can access the download, recovery and fastboot (bootloader) modes normally. I did a "Wipe cache partition" from the recovery mode multiple times, but that did not help. I tried to take off the sim card and bootup the device and it did not help either. I tried booting into safe mode and the same scenario occurred and the device got stuck in that same loop. I contacted HTC support and they have not provided me with any useful or new solutions so far.

I have not backed up the device in a while and I have some important data on it, therefore I would like to avoid resetting it and wiping the internal SD by all means.

I do not have any sort of a task manager or a battery management app installed on the device. I have not installed any new apps on the device in a while either. I did not notice any drops in device performance or any other issues before this. So, I think this issue was probably caused by some bad updates to some core system apps (probably the battery app), that were installed automatically while the device was charging (as that happens by default).

I think if I could get the latest official stock OTA update for my device and flash it from SD card, then that might fix this issue. Unfortunately though, I do not know what my CID is and I could not acquire it by using SDK, adb and fastboot tools as the device USB debugging is turned off. I tried to find a way to turn it back on from PC or from the few seconds I have with the device on, but so far no luck. When I plug in the device while it is in download or fastboot mode, adb tools does not recognize it at all, but fastboot does. However when I run the command "fastboot getvar cid" I get nothing just "cid: " like this with no value. And when I run the command "fastboot getvar all" I do get the values of many variables that include information about the bootloader and other device information, but I do not get anything that mention the CID.

I also tried to use some of the dial up codes that give device information hoping to get the CID, but none of them seem to work. Nothing happens when I enter them, they just vanish without returning any values.

If you have any idea about how to solve this issue while maintaining the device data and avoiding to reset it, then please let me know. I am open to try advanced complicated solutions as well if any would help me to resolve this without losing my data. I will appreciate any information or feedback you can provide.

If you would like me to provide any more details that I might have missed, please let me know.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018
Now I got struck, too - by the notorious HTC 10 boot loop error!

I still don't know how or why it started, but I left my HTC 10 alone for a few hours - when I returned to the phone, I immediately noticed it is constantly rebooting itself before completely successfully booting onto Android/Sense Homescreen (it only successfully reaches Lock Screen, where it resides 15-30 seconds, before suddenly restarting Android...). Now, some background info first:

- Operating system is stock Anroid Oreo 8.0 , OS version 3.16.401.2 - the Oreo update was installed via OTA update. It's properties:

***Software status: Modified***
***LOCKED***
***S-ON***

The first one ("Modified") surprised me, because I never rooted, unlocked or S-Off'ed the phone - despite it's "Modified" status, the phone ran fine many months... until a few days ago.

- approx. 305 Apps were/are installed and although they filled a lot of the phone internal storage (almost 19GB for the Apps alone and 6GB for Android operating system = 25GB alone for Android + Apps) and very significantly slowed down the system (very sluggish at certain times and situations - but not always/only occasionally or during App updates or heavy load), my phone ran fine in this condition for many months - it's not even a year old! (bought in the very last days of 2018)

- as mentioned, 25GB were reserved solely for Android + Apps, the remaining 3-4GB for files, downloads, themes, photos and videos. In it's last stable state (before this incident), only 3.5GB of free space was left - the have even been worse times with less than 3GB free space, but this error did not occur (though, the phone got even MORE slow than it already was, the less free space got). In general, I try to maintain ~ 5GB free space, but that constantly changes (probably due to caching) and the last time the phone was stable, it was ~ 3.5GB of free space.

- shortly after I bought the phone, occasionally the power button got stuck and the phone bootlooped in similar way like it now does - however, after freeing the power button, everthing went normal again.

- Battery drained pretty fast (depending on workload or App use/number of active Apps) but in Standby mode, the drainage was normal (very slow).

I NEED TO RESCUE THE DATA on the phone, before resetting it - that's why didn't try a reset/factory reset/hard reset to see, whether that solves the problem...

PLZ HELP!

milordeq

Dec 17, 2017
Łódź
HTC stuck at black screen with "powered by Android"

Hi, i have branded PLAY HTC 10 fom Poland since 2016 and recently changed battery. Yesterday my phone was just laying on table for about 6 hours, it worked just fine before i got out but now it's just stuck at that screen. It boots to download mode, recovery and bootloader just normaly but it can't get past HTC powered by Android. My HTC download mode says:
***LOCKED***
***FUSED***
htc_pmeuhl PVT s-ON
LK- 1.0.0.0000
[email protected]
OS- 3.16.201.2
Jan 3 2018,21:18:38(1012001)
Can someone plz help me find good RUU .
I found this one from here and OS versions check

Arcide

Nov 20, 2011
Sarajevo
Realme X2 Pro
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
I'm having issues with the HTC 10.
I've gotten it a couple of days ago as a secondary device, and it's been giving me issues.
For a couple of days it's been freezing and hanging a lot, sometimes it freezes for a few seconds, sometimes a half a minute or longer, and sometimes it hangs until I force it to reset.

I've rooted it the moment I got it and after I've noticed the issues I tried to install the LeeDrOiD ROM, thinking that it might help with the freezing issues, but it was the same unfortunately.
However, today when I tried to reset with vol- and power (after it froze) it just got black and never turned on.
The battery was above 40% so it's not an issue with that.
I've connected it to a charger, and the charging light is not showing up.
It seems to be completely dead as it's not reacting to anything.

Is there anything to be done, can anyone please help me with this?

EDIT: So the interesting thing I've noticed right now is that even though that the charging light is not showing up, I've left the phone on the charger for a while and it seems it's gotten mildly warm.
I don't know if that helps with the situation or anything but I though this info might be of use

might be wrong with this one

Last edited:

reetech

Jul 19, 2020
HTC 10 Graphics Crash

Hi Everybody,
I wish that all of you read this post and enjoy being here on XDA

Half display is blocked by tiny pixels.
Touch - sensor still functions.​

A picture that shows what the issue looks like
icon2.gif
https://forum.xda-developers.com/picture.php?albumid=16373&pictureid=60729

My HTC 10 got injured
icon9.gif
after installing and having an experience with multiple Custom ROMS:
  • 1. [ROM] [10.0] LineageOS 17.1 UNOFFICIAL Builds (pme) __ Graphics crashed during 'Alarm Snoozing'. In rest all good.
  • 2. [ROM][10.0] Pixel Experience builds for pme [AOSP] __ High quality experience with camera.
  • 3. [ROM] [10.0] AICP 10.0 UNOFFICIAL Builds (pme) __ Beautiful designed with options of modifying visual style.

S-ON
CID: htc_pmeuhl ( it was unlocked )
prompt.png

OS is -3.18.777.1 coming from CID hg3_001

Can we find the root cause of the graphics issue ?
More information if it's needed please ask.
icon7.gif
1. The battery was changed and I think after that the navigation bar lights are dead.
2. I am not the first owner.
3. Approx. ten times did Installing & Uninstalling processes with those 3 ROMS I mentioned above.
It was done through TWRP with the use of format data and advanced wipe:
  • Dalvik / ART Cache
  • System
  • Cache
  • Internal Storage
  • Data
4. Rooted with Magisk.

I want to know if it's possible to find a ROM or tools that are able to fix this graphics issue?

Thank You!

Arcide

Nov 20, 2011
Sarajevo
Realme X2 Pro
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
I'm having issues with the HTC 10.
I've gotten it a couple of days ago as a secondary device, and it's been giving me issues.
For a couple of days it's been freezing and hanging a lot, sometimes it freezes for a few seconds, sometimes a half a minute or longer, and sometimes it hangs until I force it to reset.

I've rooted it the moment I got it and after I've noticed the issues I tried to install the LeeDrOiD ROM, thinking that it might help with the freezing issues, but it was the same unfortunately.
However, today when I tried to reset with vol- and power (after it froze) it just got black and never turned on.
The battery was above 40% so it's not an issue with that.
I've connected it to a charger, and the charging light is not showing up.
It seems to be completely dead as it's not reacting to anything.

Is there anything to be done, can anyone please help me with this?

EDIT: So the interesting thing I've noticed right now is that even though that the charging light is not showing up, I've left the phone on the charger for a while and it seems it's gotten mildly warm.
I don't know if that helps with the situation or anything but I though this info might be of use

might be wrong with this one

I feel like writing this is pointless, especially since it's an old phone, but I have to do it in case there's someone who might pitch in and give a suggestion (besides throwing away the phone).

So an update: I had this phone sitting in a drawer for months, and even completely forgot about it. Today I found it and tried to turn it on.
As expected it wouldn't turn on (well of course it wouldn't, even if it was working, the battery was now dead).
But then out of curiosity I decided to connect it to a charger, and guess what... IT STARTED CHARGING AND CAME BACK TO LIFE.
After charging it for a while, I turned it on, and even though I first thought it got stuck in the booting animation, it eventually booted after a few minutes.

The phone was on, and there were noticeable stutters and freezes in the system, I even got the "system not responding: wait or close" notification a couple of times, but it was ultimately working.
I wasn't fiddling around with it too much, I just wanted to go back to the stock firmware and then continue testing it.
I put the RUU zip on the sd card and went to the download mode to install it.
I was only succesfull in getting into download mode on the second try, since on the first try the phone would go to the HTC logo and then just turn off by itself.

Then the flashing started, it was going well for a minute or so, but when it came to system.img_04, it just hung there at 0% for a while.
I don't know how long I waited, but it felt like a REALLY long time, definitely longer than half an hour.
So then I decided to force it to turn off, and try with a different version of RUU.
BOOM, it was back to the way it was before, completely dead.
The difference is that earlier PC recognized the phone as Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (for which I found out that it means a hard brick), and now it's QUSB_BULK.

My point, and also what made me write this post, is that I first thought the phone was completely broken - motherboard or EMMC was dead, and I even sent it to repair (not to HTC though), and they couldn't do anything and suggested it was a hardware issue.
However, draining the battery somehow reset it back to life. This now gives me hope that it's actually something that can be fixed (even though it still could be a hardware issue).
I also had an idea back in April, when I first had this issue, to open the phone and disconnect the battery.
I will try doing it again as soon as I get the proper tools, to emulate this scenario of jump-starting it, but in the meantime, I hope this was food for thought for you guys reading this.

If there is anyone out there who has any, and I mean ANY idea or thought, please let me know.

Last edited:

Tegzike

Dec 19, 2010
Hi guys!

I have a HTC10 with this specs:

UNLOCKED
FUSED
S-ON
Android 8.0.0 (01.12.2017)
Build: 3.16.401.2 9.0_g CL1012001

I want to install some Custom ROM (Leedroid first, than Lineage or Maximus), but can't do it, because Leedroid and Lineage also writes, that you have to install the latest oreo. I assume this is my main problem, because I tried to install Lee's rom, but couldn't load up, google/android apps crached before the system even loads up fully. Can someone help me with this issue? I really want to use this phone again (after years of sleep and after a battery replacement), but hell no with the main OS...

Thanks in advance for anyone!

RKLVV

Sep 19, 2015
T-Mobile HTC One (M8)
HTC 10
Help ! HTC 10 stuck on 'green hTC screen' after trying to revert to stock from Lineage (S-ON, UNLOCKED, OS: 3.16.617.2)

Hello,

I need help fixing my HTC 10. Here are the details:
UNLOCKED (please disregard the RELOCKED shown in the image below)
FUSED
S-ON
OS-3.16.617.2
Stock recovery

PXL_20220329_084938763.jpg

I was running Lineage OS 17 and TWRP recovery on this device until recently and I had to revert to stock so that I can pass it on to a family member. I have done this before on a HTC One M8, and followed the same steps. Got hold of the correct RUU zip and exe. (RUU_PERFUME_WL_O80_SENSE90GP_MR_NA_Gen_Unlock_3.16.617.2).

RUU exe:
- I launched the correct RUU exe.
- The RUU exe process stops with 'ERROR[155]: UNKNOWN ERROR' while 'Updating boot' at 3%, and on the phone it is at 90% and then is stuck on this screen.
- I tried relocking the bootloader, this error does not seem to go away.
PXL_20220329_093942300.jpg

- Now I go on to try the RUU zip method.

RUU zip:
- I copied this zip onto an SD card and renamed it to 2PS6IMG.zip.
- I put the phone into 'download mode', and followed the prompt below to start flashing the RUU.
- Everything succeeds except for system.img_8, and eventually I see the following errors:
- [email protected]
- 33 RU_UPDATE_FIRMWARE_FAIL
- 33 RU_UPDATE_FIRMWARE_FAIL
- FAIL33 RU_UPDATE_FIRMWARE_FAIL
- After a reboot, the phone seems to be booting fine and I even see the 'Android is starting... Optimizing app ... of 217' screen. But after this the phone is stuck on a green 'hTC' screen forever. (The capacitive back and recent-apps buttons do light up and buzz when I touch them)

PXL_20220324_100439240.jpg

I'd greatly appreciate any help here.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread has been created for users who are experiencing a hard brick, soft brick, boot loop, or random shutdown on their HTC 10. Feel free to ask your question(s) here.

Going forward, new threads created regarding the topics listed above will be CLOSED by the moderating staff. Please remember to follow the XDA forum rules when posting.

Cheers,

Magnum_Enforcer
    FSM
    Possible Explanation for the Random Shutdown and Boot Looping

My phone was initially fine but then suffered this dreaded random shutdown and boot loop. And then after doing a certain technique, it didn't repeat when the phone got down to below 20%. I have a theory as to why this problem is happening.

After I charged my phone back up to 100%, I then pressed and held the volume buttons and power button simultaneously for about 2 minutes. Upon release, battery level was 89%. I charged it back up to 100% and repeated. Next battery level was 92%. Repeated, and then battery level was 97%. From there I just charged normally back to 100% and let it gradually drain down from there. When I hit 25%, I put the screen on maximum and streamed YouTube videos. The battery level began to drop about 2% after each video. I got to 17%, stopped, and rebooted. 16% and still no shutdown and boot looping. After it got below 15% I got a low battery warning, and still no shut down. At 12% it was still running.

I have a new (to me) theory that what may be happening is some kind of firmware issue, where the "adaptive" monitoring of the battery becomes flawed and thus the percentage battery level becomes misinterpreted. That's why there's that auto-shut down. Because the battery REALLY IS LOW, but the Android OS doesn't know it. And then the battery's safety circuitry kicks in and aborts power to the phone. Where it all goes wrong is when the battery becomes a bit worn after a year or so of use. The firmware starts to collect faulty battery status data and then erroneously report the battery level. THIS IS WHY, the phone tries to "boot loop" after the shutdown because it still has faulty battery data. It keeps trying, but the battery says "NO"... and denies sufficient power to complete. And then when you plug in the phone, the battery won't stop the phone from booting up because now the phone has sufficient power, so it completes. Only somehow at that moment, the firmware finally shows the right battery level. 1%.

What cemented my theory was when I plugged my phone back in to my A/C powered USB charger, but this time I did not use the Quick Charge 3.0 port. I used a normal port. And within about 30 minutes, I check the phone and it's showing a 40% power level. That's too fast. From 12%, it should take about 2~3 full hours to charge back up to 100%, and in about 1 hour with Quick Charge. What it suggests to me is that the firmware is still screwing up the battery power level interpretation.

So ultimately this problem isn't the battery. Batteries do wear down, and that's a fact. But from my observations I think it's the firmware in the HTC 10 that's screwing up in it's sensing of the actual battery power level. It gets "out of sync" and thus, this dreaded shutdown starts happening, anywhere from 20~50% power level, maybe more. It may be the micro code in the kernel... which is why some people who switched to a different kernel aren't suffering this problem.

The HTC 10 firmware (or kernel) is PREVENTING the battery from fully charging, because it decides it's 100%, when it really isn't. And to get it to do so, you have to "force" it to see the actual lower battery level.

Replacing the battery TEMPORARILY solves the problem, because the battery is fresh and new. But once the battery starts to accumulate some wear on it, this problem will repeat again... until the firmware (or kernel) is replaced. And if you stick with this flawed battery management code, what you'll have to do is make sure the battery REALLY IS at 100%, by doing that 3 button press for 2 minutes, then charge again. It's the only way to get the battery fully topped off, because the phone is actually not letting it get high enough. What you see is 100%, but it's probably more like 60~80%. And that's why, when the battery starts getting below 50%, you end up in that precarious situation where the battery is actually now in the "danger zone" of really low, but the phone is not reporting it... and thus, shutdown occurs.

Alternative: Of course, this is all speculation from someone who is not an engineer. It's also possible that perhaps it's not so much the kernel as it could be actual hardware in the phone, somewhere in the interface between the battery and the CPU. And thus a replacement kernel like ElementalX is able to overcome it. HTC should take it upon themselves to figure this out... because if it can happen on a phone like the HTC 10, who knows -- maybe it's going to pop up on newer models too. They should understand what's going wrong so they can prevent it from happening again.
    I'm no expert in this my self just FYI, but installing a RUU is usually a straight forward process.
    You need to download a ruu for your particular CID (Depens on where the phone was sold and what -if any- carrier the phone is locked to.)
    I have an european unlocked one so the RUU I used was this: https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=817550096634797504
    You can find more in this thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-10/how-to/stock-stock-collection-recovery-ruu-ota-t3359297

Download the ruu (just short of 2GB in size) , rename it to 2PS6IMG.zip and put it in the root of an SD-card and insert it into the phone.
    Reboot it into download mode by holding power+volume down until the grey HTC logo appears.
    It should now detect the zip file in the sd-card and ask you to install it. Press volume up to confirm.

This will re-install everything (System image, recovery, firmware etc) all existing data gets destroyed.
    Worked like a charm for me, and was able to do a Oreo OTA right away after the first boot.
    It's 1.96.708.5
    CID is from Hong Kong.
    Well a quick search in the stock thread came up with this Oreo RUU
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/ht...ection-recovery-ruu-ota-t3359297/post75300717
    If that matches your CID your good to go
    Well, I suppose you are not booting into system, are you? If you are not and OEM lock is enabled + you dont have TWRP flashed - the only way (I know of) is to get RUU file for your CID and MID (since you are s-on). Also It needs to be an Oreo RUU. Unfortunately I wasnt able to find any for your android version (3.16.401.2)
    Best chance is to contact HTC support (they have online chat) and ask them if they can provide RUU for this version.