[Q&A]Bricks, boot loops, and random shutdowns | Ask here | No new threads

silegeek

Feb 12, 2011
Abingdon
I have mostly battery issues that I cannot figure out, beyond the fact that it is just age / wear and tear etc

My battery life has diminished. This I have noticed, and it is to be expected. What is almost two years of solid use, every single day. Fine. Not a problem.

But in the last couple of months, its done a very odd few things when the battery is around 30% and discharging.

The camera behaves erratically. Lines and such will appear on the screen and it ill flicker between brightness, and image quality.

After the update to Oreo, which I did using these forums and currently running LeeDroid (I was running it on Marshmallow and Nougat too with no problems), the battery seems, randomly, to fail. It will display to me that it has, say, 25% left. Without warning, it will then shutdown, startup again, and just continues too bootloop. I can get into the recovery which tells me the battery is, in fact, 1%. Powering off the phone from there, it will charge fine and will turn on fine again. But its gotten to the point now where I know that if my battery is 30% or below, the phone will behave unpredictably. I have used various apps that tell me the battery is "healthy" and that, when fully charged, has 3000mAh, but I do not believe these to be any kind of accurate measurement.

Andy_Nathan

Nov 16, 2017
My device is stuck in a bootloop, I have no idea what to do.

So, a month and half ago, I updated OTA my WWE S-Off HTC 10 from 2.41.401.41 to 3.16.401. I haven't got any problems since then, until now, when it began to restart all of a sudden, and sometimes getting caught in a bootloop. I downgraded to 2.41.401.4, flashing stock with executable RUU. To my surprise, my phone couldn't even boot up to the welcome screen, it remained at the green logo, and eventually rebooting with no result.
Every tip is much appreciated.

cytherian

Oct 15, 2010
NJ
After the update to Oreo, which I did using these forums and currently running LeeDroid (I was running it on Marshmallow and Nougat too with no problems), the battery seems, randomly, to fail. It will display to me that it has, say, 25% left. Without warning, it will then shutdown, startup again, and just continues too bootloop. I can get into the recovery which tells me the battery is, in fact, 1%. Powering off the phone from there, it will charge fine and will turn on fine again. But its gotten to the point now where I know that if my battery is 30% or below, the phone will behave unpredictably. I have used various apps that tell me the battery is "healthy" and that, when fully charged, has 3000mAh, but I do not believe these to be any kind of accurate measurement.
How long have you owned your HTC 10? I'm wondering if some units have "time bomb" batteries that were perfectly fine for the first year or two, then would reveal some sort of flaw that causes this issue. I bought a gently used HTC 10 that was "refurbished" (which I think just means it was cleaned up). Looked practically brand new. But... same exact problem you cited under Nougat. At 25%, abrupt power off and an endless loop of rebooting until plugged in. At plug in, battery would show 1%... In the ADB dumpsys batteryproperties, I got excellent results. But, the built-in HTC battery test showed a drop to 70% in 1 hour, which sucks. My 4 year old One M8 (2.5 years under my ownership), shows 90% after 1 hour. Clearly, something was terribly wrong with that HTC 10 battery. Thankfully I was able to return it.

Not all HTC 10's have this problem, or else the forums would be flooded with complaints. So it leaves a question as to whether or not there is a production range with suspect batteries, if it's an unfortunate random event (meaning any production run of the HTC 10 may have one of these troublesome batteries installed, a time bomb that will cause this unacceptable battery behavior in about 2 years), or if it's all about usage--heavy draining and frequent recharge cycles causing uneven wear to the cells inside the battery. I contacted HTC about this issue... and they deny any knowledge of such a problem. :mad:

Last edited:

silegeek

Feb 12, 2011
Abingdon
How long have you owned your HTC 10? I'm wondering if some units have "time bomb" batteries that were perfectly fine for the first year or two, then would reveal some sort of flaw that causes this issue. I bought a gently used HTC 10 that was "refurbished" (which I think just means it was cleaned up). Looked practically brand new. But... same exact problem you cited under Nougat. At 25%, abrupt power off and an endless loop of rebooting until plugged in. At plug in, battery would show 1%... In the ADB dumpsys batteryproperties, I got excellent results. But, the built-in HTC battery test showed a drop to 70% in 1 hour, which sucks. My 4 year old One M8 (2.5 years under my ownership), shows 90% after 1 hour. Clearly, something was terribly wrong with that HTC 10 battery. Thankfully I was able to return it.

Not all HTC 10's have this problem, or else the forums would be flooded with complaints. So it leaves a question as to whether or not there is a production range with suspect batteries, if it's an unfortunate random event (meaning any production run of the HTC 10 may have one of these troublesome batteries installed, a time bomb that will cause this unacceptable battery behavior in about 2 years), or if it's all about usage--heavy draining and frequent recharge cycles causing uneven wear to the cells inside the battery. I contacted HTC about this issue... and they deny any knowledge of such a problem. :mad:
I'd expect some degradation after two years of solid and, at times, heavy usage. And in fairness, until the phone reaches around 25% it runs well. Although it does drain much faster. But this is something I've never experienced before. At this point, however, I have no need to worry about it as I have upgraded to an S9+. My wife is currently using the HTC10 whilst her phone is in repair. I did try letting it get completley flat at one point, and once it refused to turn on, just keep power cycling it. And when it refused to boot up, went into the bootloader and just let the DDR test run. It did this for about half an hour which tells me there is power left. Eventually it wouldnt even get that far, just kept showing me a battery symbol. Since then, it manages to get to around 15% no problem. But it depends I supposed. I've found that colder temperatures also affect it. I dont know. Very odd issue.

maxx--

Apr 15, 2018
So recently, I let my HTC10 run out of battery, it was at 1% then it shutdown, because it obviously had run out of battery. When I put it back to charge, it started bootlooping and I tried to use download or recovery mode but it just wouldn't work. I can access the bootloader / fastboot though. When I do "fastboot getvar all" this is what I get:
Code:
(bootloader) version:0.5
(bootloader) ramdump-mode:false
(bootloader) variant:Surf eMMC
(bootloader) secure:yes
(bootloader) version-baseband:
(bootloader) version-bootloader:
(bootloader) max-download-size: 0x20000000
(bootloader) partition-type:cache:ext4
(bootloader) partition-size:cache:       0xe000000
(bootloader) partition-type:userdata:ext4
(bootloader) partition-size:userdata:    0x60e000000
(bootloader) partition-type:system:ext4
(bootloader) partition-size:system:      0xef000000
(bootloader) serialno:XXXXXXXXX
all:
finished. total time: 0.360s
htc_fastboot finished. total time: 0.619s
This phone came from the swiss provider Swisscom.
It has been rooted and the bootloader is unlocked, it's S-ON and there is no custom ROM flashed on this phone. I've tried putting a firmware to the microSD card and renaming it to the right name and launching download mode, but it hasn't worked. I've also tried to flash the HOSD and it works, but it has not affected anything. Is there anyway I can get out of my bootloop?

cytherian

Oct 15, 2010
NJ
@maxx--, when I encountered the boot loop, plugging it in to a live charging cable caused it to stop. Have you tried that? Also, try pressing 3 buttons (volume up+volume down+power) simultaneously and hold for about a minute. The phone should boot loop but behave a little differently, and then at about the minute mark when the loop reaches a power-off state, let go of the buttons and see if the phone stays off.

yldlj

May 23, 2011
So recently, I let my HTC10 run out of battery, it was at 1% then it shutdown, because it obviously had run out of battery. When I put it back to charge, it started bootlooping and I tried to use download or recovery mode but it just wouldn't work. I can access the bootloader / fastboot though. When I do "fastboot getvar all" this is what I get:

This phone came from the swiss provider Swisscom.
It has been rooted and the bootloader is unlocked, it's S-ON and there is no custom ROM flashed on this phone. I've tried putting a firmware to the microSD card and renaming it to the right name and launching download mode, but it hasn't worked. I've also tried to flash the HOSD and it works, but it has not affected anything. Is there anyway I can get out of my bootloop?
Fastboot getvar all from download mode not Bootloader. If you can't get into download mode there isn't much you can do.

rbnvrw

Oct 21, 2014
I tried to revert a HTC 10 to stock by following this guide.
The original CID was 11111111 and the MID was 2PS630000.

Because I don't have access to Windows, I tried the "RUU Zip method". I downloaded the file under "CID: HTC__001/HTC__034/HTC__A07/HTC__J15/HTC__M27/HTC__016/HTC__002 | MID: 2PS620000" on this page.

Then I changed the CID to HTC__001 and the MID to 2PS620000. I put the zip file in the SD card and booted into fastboot mode.
Then I flashed the zip.

It gave me the following error: "RU_SIGNATURE_FAIL" and it said "Press power button to continue".
I pressed the power button and then the phone just turned off.

Now I can't get it to life by pressing any of the Vol.Up+Power / Vol.Down+Power of Power button combinations.
Does anyone have a suggestion?

I'm kind of desperate now....

Edit: the phone does not respond to charging but is listed when plugged in the computer via lsusb as:
"Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05c6:900e Qualcomm, Inc."

Last edited:

Tarima

Mar 26, 2011
Montreal
I tried to revert a HTC 10 to stock by following this guide.
The original CID was 11111111 and the MID was 2PS630000.

Because I don't have access to Windows, I tried the "RUU Zip method". I downloaded the file under "CID: HTC__001/HTC__034/HTC__A07/HTC__J15/HTC__M27/HTC__016/HTC__002 | MID: 2PS620000" on this page.

Then I changed the CID to HTC__001 and the MID to 2PS620000. I put the zip file in the SD card and booted into fastboot mode.
Then I flashed the zip.

It gave me the following error: "RU_SIGNATURE_FAIL" and it said "Press power button to continue".
I pressed the power button and then the phone just turned off.

Now I can't get it to life by pressing any of the Vol.Up+Power / Vol.Down+Power of Power button combinations.
Does anyone have a suggestion?

I'm kind of desperate now....

Edit: the phone does not respond to charging but is listed when plugged in the computer via lsusb as:
"Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05c6:900e Qualcomm, Inc."
So you used an RUU made for the HTC 10, and installed it on your HTC 10 Lifestyle? Yeah that's not gonna be good

THC Butterz

Oct 29, 2011
Virginia Beach, VA
advanced3dgaming.com
Well, I've pretty much managed to screw up my HTC 10. I'm on the latest 3.16.401.2 WWE, S-ON, with the bootloader relocked and stock recovery. I can access the download mode, the bootloader and the stock recovery, but I can't unlock the bootloader since I can't active the OEM unlock option. The phone doesn't boot, it's stuck in a bootloop at the white HTC logo.

Using the OTA available for WWE gives me the Status 7 fail error. Is there anything else I can do, besides from waiting for the Oreo WWE RUU?

Thanks in advance.
wow im stuck in the exact situation lol, I have bought another htc 10 from amazon since they are relativly in expensive for there proformance, however i contacted the guys from sunshine s-off, they said because i can get in download, bootloader, and recovery, they can s-off even without htc dev unlock working, so im going to mail mine to them, for $33 it seems like the cheapest risk free repair option, if they can get s-off ill definently let you know!

JayCsPhone

May 9, 2018
Hi, we are experiencing boot loop on a 4 month old stock, locked, off-the-shelf HTC 10 after a firmware update (had delayed the download/install repeatedly and finally it just happened while we were in an area of poor cell reception- went in to boot loop immediately). Have tried wiping cache and rebooting but still in the loop. Phone is very hot and battery runs down right away unless plugged in. Any ideas on how to proceed? Thank you.

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Hi, we are experiencing boot loop on a 4 month old stock, locked, off-the-shelf HTC 10 after a firmware update (had delayed the download/install repeatedly and finally it just happened while we were in an area of poor cell reception- went in to boot loop immediately). Have tried wiping cache and rebooting but still in the loop. Phone is very hot and battery runs down right away unless plugged in. Any ideas on how to proceed? Thank you.
Can you boot to download mode? If so you could run an RUU to hopefully fix it.
If you can boot to download mode, post here what it says next to "OS" and I (or someone else here) can link you to the proper one for your device.

JayCsPhone

May 9, 2018
Thank you for the quick response and sorry for my delay.

Yes, can boot into HTC download mode
OS-2.41 .605.36
Nov 15 2017, 15:02:11(857212)

Thank you so much!

Can you boot to download mode? If so you could run an RUU to hopefully fix it.
If you can boot to download mode, post here what it says next to "OS" and I (or someone else here) can link you to the proper one for your device.

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

Oh, and this stock phone is locked, htc_pmew1 PVT S-ON

Thank you for the quick response and sorry for my delay.

Yes, can boot into HTC download mode
OS-2.41 .605.36
Nov 15 2017, 15:02:11(857212)

Thank you so much!

Nidhoegger

Jul 29, 2010
I do not know what happend. I updated to OREO yesterday and flashed AOSiP. It was working. Then I wanted to flash CleanSlate Kernel, but upon shutting down the phone and trying to access recovery, I am stuck in a bootloop (so kernel is not yet flashed!).

The bootloop is in a very early stage. When pressing nothing I get the white HTC logo and the red warning message, then it reboots. When pressing down, I get the white-gray gradient HTC logo, then reboot (so no download mode). When pressing vol- + power, it reboots before the shutdown triggers.

I do not know what happens. Is there anything known about such an issue? Is there a fix? Can I at least get it to stop bootlooping? The vibration is driving me nuts since an hour...

tofayas

Feb 8, 2013
I do not know what happend. I updated to OREO yesterday and flashed AOSiP. It was working. Then I wanted to flash CleanSlate Kernel, but upon shutting down the phone and trying to access recovery, I am stuck in a bootloop (so kernel is not yet flashed!).

The bootloop is in a very early stage. When pressing nothing I get the white HTC logo and the red warning message, then it reboots. When pressing down, I get the white-gray gradient HTC logo, then reboot (so no download mode). When pressing vol- + power, it reboots before the shutdown triggers.

I do not know what happens. Is there anything known about such an issue? Is there a fix? Can I at least get it to stop bootlooping? The vibration is driving me nuts since an hour...
hi
at first if you did upgraded to Oreo already
download the singed 2PS6IMG file for your device
look at the 2nd post here
https://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-10/how-to/2016-05-27-fastboot-flashing-firmware-t3387520

there are tool the dev get the ruu wizard and you can flash any singed rom with it by rename file to rom.zip and put it in folder inside the tool folder
i think in htc M9 section
you can do it with original ruu wizard but you need to access to appdata file on your pc
so
when you get to bootloader mode and start the ruu wiz on your pc it will force the phone to go into download mode
when it happen to me i cant boot my phone to any mode no recovery no bootloader no download mode
and keep bootlooping and vibrating until i pushed both vol + and - button and power button
hope that will help you out get your phone back

UPDATE
the tool in the same link up in this reply
the tool in the 4th post
use code "17"

if i still remember you need to relock your bootloader and flash stock recovery

Last edited:
Reactions: Nidhoegger

Nidhoegger

Jul 29, 2010
hi
at first if you did upgraded to Oreo already
download the singed 2PS6IMG file for your device
look at the 2nd post here
https://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-10/how-to/2016-05-27-fastboot-flashing-firmware-t3387520

there are tool the dev get the ruu wizard and you can flash any singed rom with it by rename file to rom.zip and put it in folder inside the tool folder
i think in htc M9 section
you can do it with original ruu wizard but you need to access to appdata file on your pc
so
when you get to bootloader mode and start the ruu wiz on your pc it will force the phone to go into download mode
when it happen to me i cant boot my phone to any mode no recovery no bootloader no download mode
and keep bootlooping and vibrating until i pushed both vol + and - button and power button
hope that will help you out get your phone back

UPDATE
the tool in the same link up in this reply
the tool in the 4th post
use code "17"

if i still remember you need to relock your bootloader and flash stock recovery
Thanks for the info. The tool always tells me my battery is lower than 30% :/. I charged it for about 6 hours this morning with a fastcharge adapter...

dangoon

Jul 1, 2014
I tried to relock and then RUU to get back to stock. Now it won't boot, vibrate at the black "HTC this device..." screen then immediately shut off. Can't access bootloader or download. Can somebody point me in the right direction?