[Q&A] EmotionOS [User Support]

What is your device variant/model?

• Total voters
Search This thread

andyras

Jul 2, 2017
I seem to have trouble receiving MMS (e.g. only some come through in a group chat). There were some mentions of a similar problem a few weeks ago, but no posted solution. Any ideas?

Current list of bugs/problem I encounter on N910V:
  • MMS selectively working
  • Headset pause/play/vol buttons do nothing
  • substratum kept freezing (disabled)
  • swipe type does not work
  • S Note app won't open
  • long press on caffeine tile (what is this anyway?) crashes system
  • attempt to format SD card for app storage crashes system
  • switches between periods of smooth operation and severe crashiness

I love the look and feel of this build, but I will probably switch to something more stable (e.g. ModestROM) and pop back in to see how the next version of EmotionOS turns out.

Last edited:

anon1135

Jan 23, 2017
I seem to have trouble receiving MMS (e.g. only some come through in a group chat). There were some mentions of a similar problem a few weeks ago, but no posted solution. Any ideas?

MMS selectively working
Headset pause/play/vol buttons do nothing
substratum kept freezing (disabled)
swipe type does not work
S Note app won't open
long press on caffeine tile (what is this anyway?) crashes system
attempt to format SD card for app storage crashes system
switches between periods of smooth operation and severe crashiness

I love the look and feel of this build, but I will probably switch to something more stable (e.g. ModestROM) and pop back in to see how the next version of EmotionOS turns out.

have u tried resurrection remix from this same dev? I like it more than emotion

mojoswagger1980

May 18, 2014
have u tried resurrection remix from this same dev? I like it more than emotion
Yeah but camera is broken on RR5.8.3 20170622 (both) if thats a problem RR5.8.2 Has working snapcam (2 my knowledge cyanogens has nvr worked on any of hsbadr emotion or RR builds)

---------- Post added at 06:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 AM ----------

MMS selectively working
Headset pause/play/vol buttons do nothing
substratum kept freezing (disabled)
swipe type does not work
S Note app won't open
long press on caffeine tile (what is this anyway?) crashes system
attempt to format SD card for app storage crashes system
switches between periods of smooth operation and severe crashiness

I didnt find Modest More stable. The dev uses an old veersion of magisk I'm not familiar with and maintaining root and root function was a nightmare. To be quite honest I swapped back for sidesync and was completely disappointed in the current version. Modest Rom was rooted via magisk 12 and is not stable due to the fact the manager is from 13 (manager and magisk version must match or there will be blood) in short modest rom was a horrible experience if you use alot of root required apps (its like half my current set up) on top of that the manager couldn't install xposed (dealbreaker no xposed =no reason to stay on marshmallow)

Last edited:

bonfire62

Jun 18, 2010
Is anyone else having severe 4g speed issues? My 4g wasnt working for quite a while so I had to go and manually set the APN's. Done a few speed tests and getting around 25 kbps download on 4g, 1Mbps upload. Anyone else?

razholio

Mar 18, 2011
Is anyone else having severe 4g speed issues? My 4g wasnt working for quite a while so I had to go and manually set the APN's. Done a few speed tests and getting around 25 kbps download on 4g, 1Mbps upload. Anyone else?
Variant and carrier would be useful. I've got the 910t on att and have no such issues.

chillingspree

Jun 6, 2017
Hmmm

Thanks, maybe my problem is not being on pl1. I'm on pj1 for un7 Rom.

Interesting to read this right now. (Bear with me, please.)

I'm currently on UN7 (PJ1 baseband) and doing some research on EmotionOS & Lineage (I'm just not all that satisfied with all the Samsung-related apps I never seem use on UN7, plus logcat issues and no working encryption). Prior to UN7, I was on CM -and as we all know, that ship has sunk and LineageOfficial isn't sporting an official build for the Note 4 (trltespr, or any for that matter). I was having issues with SMS/MMS and got sick of having to do the *#*#4636#*#*-thing. Fortunately, UN7 has a separate, flashable fix in Post #2 (https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=70551195&postcount=2) for the SMS.MMS issue. Although I'm still on UN7, it worked for me.

That said, I'm wondering if @tx_dbs_tx 's fix could be used to resolve this issue (or at least serve as a model for resolving this issue).

Just a thought...

tx_dbs_tx

Jan 19, 2009
Texas, USA
Interesting to read this right now. (Bear with me, please.)

I'm currently on UN7 (PJ1 baseband) and doing some research on EmotionOS & Lineage (I'm just not all that satisfied with all the Samsung-related apps I never seem use on UN7, plus logcat issues and no working encryption). Prior to UN7, I was on CM -and as we all know, that ship has sunk and LineageOfficial isn't sporting an official build for the Note 4 (trltespr, or any for that matter). I was having issues with SMS/MMS and got sick of having to do the *#*#4636#*#*-thing. Fortunately, UN7 has a separate, flashable fix in Post #2 (https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=70551195&postcount=2) for the SMS.MMS issue. Although I'm still on UN7, it worked for me.

That said, I'm wondering if @tx_dbs_tx 's fix could be used to resolve this issue (or at least serve as a model for resolving this issue).

Just a thought...

I don't think so. The Samsung TouchWiz software with CSC is setup differently than EmotionOS. The issues arise with the different carrier dependencies such as APN's, build prop and other network configs. Sprint and Verizon are both CDMA but network configs are going to be different of course.

Reactions: chillingspree

razholio

Mar 18, 2011
Fixed Substratum by re installing it from google Play.
I have used it all day and this is the list of problems I'm having
1. Camera not working at all
2. Panda pop stops working after hitting play and when it stays on it will not connect to facebook must be an issue with my next problem
3. Can get any higher than 3G, I have the verizon network and its on global setting.
4. Phone reboots at different times during the day mostly when I was doing something Like make a call.

I have the following installed
Emotion-Kernel-N-20170713.zip
Emotion-7.1.2-20170623-OFFICIAL-trltevzw.zip
open_gapps-arm-7.1-micro-20170825.zip

I also downloaded but didn't use the
Emotion-TW-stable-MM-r26-RC1-SM-N915P_ZEROLEMON
Kernel

Do you think it might be the kernel should I load the one I downloaded but not installed I Do have a 10,000 Zerolemon Case

Not sure about where the logs are But I'm going to search before saving this
I didn't find a help or how to on the logs.
I did see a
open_gapps_log.txt
and a
open_gapps_debug_logs.tar.gz
in the place the install files are but no crash logs

I'm responding here because the main thread is for bug-reports with logs only. Seeing as you're reporting problems others don't seem to have, the obvious question is before flashing this rom did you:
1. wipe /data? (full factory reset)
2. wipe /system?

I'd definitely start with a clean flash of just this rom (and gapps) w/o any other modifications like 3rd party kernels, etc. You shouldn't have any issues flashing root right away, either, whether that's Supersu or the LOS root zip. I've also heard Magisk works as well, though that's gone through so many changes there's no telling how the most recent version will work with this ROM.

for collecting logs, you'll want to grab a log gathering app from the play store like aLogcat or Syslog.

Jul 3, 2017
I'm responding here because the main thread is for bug-reports with logs only. Seeing as you're reporting problems others don't seem to have, the obvious question is before flashing this rom did you:
1. wipe /data? (full factory reset)
2. wipe /system?

I'd definitely start with a clean flash of just this rom (and gapps) w/o any other modifications like 3rd party kernels, etc. You shouldn't have any issues flashing root right away, either, whether that's Supersu or the LOS root zip. I've also heard Magisk works as well, though that's gone through so many changes there's no telling how the most recent version will work with this ROM.

for collecting logs, you'll want to grab a log gathering app from the play store like aLogcat or Syslog.

Thank You for your help Since I had to restore to factory due to a brick condition I'm going to get the Note 8 around Nov and if I don't I will return here and try again

zediiiii

Jul 4, 2014
Thank You for your help Since I had to restore to factory due to a brick condition I'm going to get the Note 8 around Nov and if I don't I will return here and try again

Just got my Note 8 yesterday (bad emmc memory on my Note 4). Lovely phone, Samsung has actually made TouchWiz nice to use this time around. Bixby can do command chaining, you can launch dual screen shortcuts, and the pen is better by far than my surface pro 3-etc etc. I might be able to live without root using the proxy add blocker.

Not optimistic about root though. =(

hack.causality

Jun 29, 2009
Are there any requirements for modem/baseband/carrier for running [ROM] [7.1.2] [Snapdragon] [MultiVariant] EmotionOS? I'm using an SM-910V Developer Edition on Verizon currently running a Kyubi ROM ported from the Note 5 and it's been so long since I fiddled with ROMs that I could be walking right into a brick situation and not know it.

BmuhvfH.png

mojoswagger1980

May 18, 2014
Just got my Note 8 yesterday (bad emmc memory on my Note 4). Lovely phone, Samsung has actually made TouchWiz nice to use this time around. Bixby can do command chaining, you can launch dual screen shortcuts, and the pen is better by far than my surface pro 3-etc etc. I might be able to live without root using the proxy add blocker.

Not optimistic about root though. =(
did you get the exynos (its reffered to as the international model. I believe it retails at $899). I'm planning on getting that bad boy at the end of January when I do taxes (fingers crossed) andvi was wondering the following : Its not that edge garbage is it ? (I can live without a removable battery but won't go edge its stupid beyond words) did they release a new spen or is it the note 5 pen ? are there 2 front cameras and is that the only part of face that isn't screen ? (the s9 renders look so cool I'm really hoping they did the screen like that)

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

Are there any requirements for modem/baseband/carrier for running [ROM] [7.1.2] [Snapdragon] [MultiVariant] EmotionOS? I'm using an SM-910V Developer Edition on Verizon currently running a Kyubi ROM ported from the Note 5 and it's been so long since I fiddled with ROMs that I could be walking right into a brick situation and not know it.
WARNING :the 910v is not a developers edition the 910w8 is the developers edition . I say this only to ensure no confusion YOU ONLY WANT TO FLASH RETAIL BASED FIRMWARE OR ROMS BASED ON RETAIL. being unlocked in developers mode (the state you and I find ourselves in) is not the same thing as being a developers edition which was never locked uses very different incompatible firmware. its actually better to be retail to dev I'm told do to several bugs that seem to only affect that device (screen flicker after flash is the one that jumps to mind) to answer your question from 5.1.1 bpa1 (or the international equivalent if that was based on the g or f models I don't remember but I'm thinking it was) you need to flash the safe update. its not really an update in terms of you will still be on 5.1.1 ROM wise but your bootloader,toolchain,modem,Hlos will have been updated. you must now unlock it again (same procedure but be advised its sometimes necessary to use a different root exploit. Kingroot unlocked mine the first time but wouldn't work here I had to use kingo not sure why) also note you need a data connection your WiFi won't work because your on the updated modem that isn't compatible with your 5.1.1 base. don't freak out get any active sim put it in your phone go into settings more networks and hit menu (3 dots top right corner) add network and now you need to manually fill in service provider APN info(please disregard this if you have Verizon or already did it I'm assuming you don't because your not on the same modem/baseband as Verizon right now) if the above does apply, borrow one if necessary it will work if you manually enter service provider APN do to Verizon not sim-locking there phones (This saved me at the time of unlock and also motivated me to change service providers given how easy it was. Beware T-Mobile and At&t they are gsm providers . they will work but u only get 4glte with these none of the lower bandwidth s work, but can be used if no other option is available. once you have gotten SuperSU flashed you should update to the newest modem. MAKE SURE YOU UNCHECK REBOOT AFTER FLASH. you must completely power down to successfully Odin flash anything after flash or it doesn't flash. from this point you may flash any ROM based on the boot image (all the aosp stuff for our device plus some neat touchwiz stuff. the aosp stuff has a modded version of twrp you can/should flas h. yours will work but it generates 2 errors at end of flash when flashing aosp ROMs (lineage commits weren't in play while the one you have was developed) GOOD LUCK AND GODSPEED !

hack.causality

Jun 29, 2009
did you get the exynos (its reffered to as the international model. I believe it retails at $899). I'm planning on getting that bad boy at the end of January when I do taxes (fingers crossed) andvi was wondering the following : Its not that edge garbage is it ? (I can live without a removable battery but won't go edge its stupid beyond words) did they release a new spen or is it the note 5 pen ? are there 2 front cameras and is that the only part of face that isn't screen ? (the s9 renders look so cool I'm really hoping they did the screen like that)

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

WARNING :the 910v is not a developers edition the 910w8 is the developers edition . I say this only to ensure no confusion YOU ONLY WANT TO FLASH RETAIL BASED FIRMWARE OR ROMS BASED ON RETAIL. being unlocked in developers mode (the state you and I find ourselves in) is not the same thing as being a developers edition which was never locked uses very different incompatible firmware. its actually better to be retail to dev I'm told do to several bugs that seem to only affect that device (screen flicker after flash is the one that jumps to mind) to answer your question from 5.1.1 bpa1 (or the international equivalent if that was based on the g or f models I don't remember but I'm thinking it was) you need to flash the safe update. its not really an update in terms of you will still be on 5.1.1 ROM wise but your bootloader,toolchain,modem,Hlos will have been updated. you must now unlock it again (same procedure but be advised its sometimes necessary to use a different root exploit. Kingroot unlocked mine the first time but wouldn't work here I had to use kingo not sure why) also note you need a data connection your WiFi won't work because your on the updated modem that isn't compatible with your 5.1.1 base. don't freak out get any active sim put it in your phone go into settings more networks and hit menu (3 dots top right corner) add network and now you need to manually fill in service provider APN info(please disregard this if you have Verizon or already did it I'm assuming you don't because your not on the same modem/baseband as Verizon right now) if the above does apply, borrow one if necessary it will work if you manually enter service provider APN do to Verizon not sim-locking there phones (This saved me at the time of unlock and also motivated me to change service providers given how easy it was. Beware T-Mobile and At&t they are gsm providers . they will work but u only get 4glte with these none of the lower bandwidth s work, but can be used if no other option is available. once you have gotten SuperSU flashed you should update to the newest modem. MAKE SURE YOU UNCHECK REBOOT AFTER FLASH. you must completely power down to successfully Odin flash anything after flash or it doesn't flash. from this point you may flash any ROM based on the boot image (all the aosp stuff for our device plus some neat touchwiz stuff. the aosp stuff has a modded version of twrp you can/should flas h. yours will work but it generates 2 errors at end of flash when flashing aosp ROMs (lineage commits weren't in play while the one you have was developed) GOOD LUCK AND GODSPEED !

Now see here's the weird thing. The model number under the battery indicates it's not a developer edition, yet I did order the DE straight from Samsung and rooted it well before unlocking and rooting were available for the non-developer versions.

6OH06qq.png

brranndon

Dec 25, 2013
Using Sprint

Running DQE1 baseband on N910P (Sprint), flashed the 6/23 build and latest google ****s package from opengapps.org. I had some initial issues getting data to work, but I was able to fix it by using the *#*#4636#*#* menu, setting the right network type, and enabling mobile data in Settings. It runs smooth for the most part, but I am having two major issues. One is logcat doesn't work. I get a "logcat read error" when I try. I found the following output in dmesg immediately after trying to run logcat:

Code:
[  938.077771]  [1:           init:    1] init: Starting service 'logd'...                                                                                              
[  938.218554]  [1:           init:    1] init: Service 'logd' (pid 15807) exited with status 255                                                                       
[  938.218751]  [1:           init:    1] init: Service 'logd' (pid 15807) killing any children in process group

The other is that the phone either shuts down or reboots without warning at least once a day. Since logcat isn't working, I can't tell why.

Hello AWildColin, I am also using on a sprint phone. I am having some issues and was wondering if you could help me out. Can you share the setting use used for *#*#4636#*#* and also if you resolved your other issue?
Thanks,
Brandon

Is there any version of EmotionOS for the sm-n910v that has a working camera? I'm on the latest version (20170623-OFFICIAL) and I have a vague memory that I'd had a previous version with a working camera subsystem (need it for a VR app) but that might have been Cyanogen.
Failing that, is there another ROM with working camera? Do I have to go to a modded TW?

TouchOdeath

Feb 29, 2012
I haven't tried all the ROMs... but I can already tell you this one is the best ROM. It is SUPER efficient. This phone now idles like a sleeping baby, its amazing! There is minimal bloat, which is nice. Pre-installed root, kernel Adiutor, full control of CPU. Customizations out the wang. Most notable customizations are power button flashlight, and when you plug your phone in, it doesn't light up the screen. Developer options are there by default, USB debugging enabled by default. Wifi and 4g disabled on initial install which is awesome! Its as optimized as an android OS can get...

Unfortunately logcat doesn't work, so I can't really see exactly what its doing which is unfortunate.....

The TWRP Backup is awesome as well, you only have to backup like.. 1.7gb worth of data, takes around 80 secs total. Which is very impressive.

Xposed installed no problem.

The only thing missing from this ROM, is the ability to swap between calls. You can merge calls just fine.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the place for Q&A, general discussions, and pre-/post-installation chat about EmotionOS. Please keep the development thread clean and post here all your personal issues that are not related to the development such as Xposed, themes, extra mods, other stuff, ... etc. Thanks in advance!
    @hsbadr - looks like you haven't made a post on XDA since Feb 28 ... hope all is well.

Thanks! I'm very busy, but I may release a new build tonight.
    AROMA-EMOTION-7.1.1-EXTRAS -- (Does Not Contain the Rom)

Changelog:
    v3.3 -- 270MB File Size
    = removed SuperSU (must use internal superuser "Privacy Guard").
    = edited Build.Props for 0213 Rom release.
    = edited Mounting commands in Aroma.

* Viper4Arise Users: You MUST be on the Official TWRP 3.0.2-0, found [HERE].
    If you have updated your TWRP then you will need revert back to Official 3.0.2-0 temporarily for Viper to install correctly.
    You may return to the updated TWRP 3.0.N1-0 after you run Aroma and install Viper4Arise.

You Will Still Need To Download The Rom from [HERE]
    You Will Still Need To Download Open GApps from [HERE] - (look for Arm-7.1-Nano).

New Aroma-Emotion-7.1.1-Extras-v.3.3 >> https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=141681
    (Does Not Contain the Rom)
    REMINDER:

Do not post questions or answers to questions in the [ROM] [7.1.1] EmotionOS development thread.

If you posted in the development thread and can't find your post now, it's been moved here where it belongs. Per the developer's guidelines, all non-development discussion including questions and answers belong here, in the Q&A thread:

Thank you for your cooperation!

Thanks for keeping the development thread clean :good: