[Q&A] Help thread. Ask away! (Noob friendly)

Search This thread

Smartphonz

Aug 30, 2009
What stopped me back in January is pretty much the same things that are holding me back now. This is my daily use phone! My last phone was a Nexus One that I purchased way back that was already running a custom ROM. If something went wrong, that would have to be my backup or I'd have to purchase something quick. To be honest, I'm not real excited with the phones that are currently on the market. I'm looking for something affordable that will provide me with a good number of years of OS updates and security patches. I use Mint for service, so that might be a challenge. Also, I have a wife and a few young children. I can't afford to be without a working phone for long.

I was looking at a few guides and a common theme of late seems to be getting the Android SDK Tools from a trustworthy source. I believe that someone recommended that he use 15 seconds ADB Installer v1.4.3 from XDA. I don't know enough to know if that will work.

What does it mean when you say that Lineage OS doesn't include root by default? Does this perhaps mean that I don't need to root to be able to flash it on my phone or is this wishful thinking?

I wish that I could find someone local that I could go to have this done. You don't happen to live in South Florida do you? I've looked on Craigslist but my efforts thus far have been fruitless.

Reactions: Timmmmaaahh!

Timmmmaaahh!

Forum Moderator
Staff member
  • Sep 11, 2012
    Bruges
    I was looking at a few guides and a common theme of late seems to be getting the Android SDK Tools from a trustworthy source. I believe that someone recommended that he use 15 seconds ADB Installer v1.4.3 from XDA. I don't know enough to know if that will work.

What does it mean when you say that Lineage OS doesn't include root by default? Does this perhaps mean that I don't need to root to be able to flash it on my phone or is this wishful thinking?

I wish that I could find someone local that I could go to have this done. You don't happen to live in South Florida do you? I've looked on Craigslist but my efforts thus far have been fruitless.
    The 15 seconds ADB installer (right here) is an excellent tool to get started, I always use it myself as well. It avoids the hassle of having to install the entire SDK.

Flashing stuff on your phone and rooting the operating system are two very different things. Of course you'll need system level access to replace the current Android installation, that's why you need to unlock the bootloader (oem unlock). Without that you can't install a custom recovery (TWRP) or a custom ROM (LOS, etc.). That doesn't mean you need system level access from within the operating system (root). Most ROMs include this access by default in the form of Magisk, SuperSU or another SU (SuperUser) manager. If you flash Lineage OS and you want root access, you'll need to flash an additional package (one of the aforementioned managers) to achieve it. The official LOS SU installer is here, the SU uninstaller is found here.
    As companies are battling against rooted devices, more users are opting to avoid root. However, this awesome community has already developed ways around these limitations. The most popular one currently is Magisk, an SU manager that excels in its stealth mode. It can fool banking and payment apps so they remain fully functional but still offer the many benefits of having a rooted operating system. For me the most important benefit is being able to make real backups with TitantiumBackup. I also utilize root to use my battery more efficiently, block ads, tweak performance elements, fetch system logs, record calls, enable some usability features like double tap on home screen to go to sleep mode and so on. You can choose to be a part of this cat and mouse game, depending on your personal needs and commitment, or you can play it the way companies want you to play. Sort of, because you're already acting against their wishes by flashing another ROM. It's narrowly related to the fight for personal freedom in a world where the consumer is mainly dictated by corporate greed.

I'm sorry but I live in Belgium. You'd be more than welcome to come over and have a few beers, some waffles and a fully customized OPO but I fear your family wouldn't approve the use of budget for that reason (that kind of dough could get you a pretty decent amount of new phones anyway, haha). It's really not that difficult to tackle this yourself, the secret lies in reading, much reading. The more you educate yourself on the matter, the more confident you'll be upgrading your device. I'll guide you if you have any questions but as Neo put it so adequately: "I can only show you the door, you're the one that has to walk through it".

Last edited:
    Reactions: Smartphonz

quimbexa

Aug 10, 2012
    So last night I dismantled my opo to replace the midframe (which btw looks awesome, like new). In the process I had to remove my battery and plug it in again, and this is where the problem lies: before this operation I was getting five and something hours of SoT. Now, with the same settings and the same kinda usage (mostly wifi, as I didn't leave the house), I'm getting a much drastic drain.
    I wanna ask you guys if you think this behavior is normal. Is it common to experience this kind of drain after messing with the internals?

Smartphonz

Aug 30, 2009
    Do you think that this phone will get an Android O rom? I want to make sure that I am not going through all of this just to find out that we won't be getting the newest OS. Okay, so if we will be getting O then I think I'm going to go ahead and take the red pill on a weekend. In the meantime, I'm going to read up on the various (how to) articles including the items and links that you've mentioned and get it all condensed for when I am ready to go through the rabbit hole. I'll let you know how it goes.

Has anyone used the Bacon Root Toolkit v1.0.3? It looks like a one stop shop for this process.

Last edited:

Timmmmaaahh!

Forum Moderator
    Staff member
  • Sep 11, 2012
    Bruges
    Do you think that this phone will get an Android O rom? I want to make sure that I am not going through all of this just to find out that we won't be getting the newest OS. Okay, so if we will be getting O then I think I'm going to go ahead and take the red pill on a weekend. In the meantime, I'm going to read up on the various (how to) articles including the items and links that you've mentioned and get it all condensed for when I am ready to go through the rabbit hole. I'll let you know how it goes.

Has anyone used the Bacon Root Toolkit v1.0.3? It looks like a one stop shop for this process.
    As our beloved Bacon is currently in the lead for Lineage OS installs (currently at 88,704!) and O development is going smoothly, it does seem very likely that we'll receive the update. However, we can't be absolutely sure. If Google changes something on their part that breaks important (but now admittedly old) drivers for our device, it might be the end of the line. That doesn't mean support would stop though, Nougat will still receive many security updates after Android Oreo is launched. Odds are looking in our favor :)

I'm not a fan of these toolkits, you can destroy many things with just the click of a button. Also, it's better to understand what's really going on when taking such actions. You can only know what's going on if you insert the commands yourself. That said, the tool will work as it simply pushes the same ADB and Fastboot commands.
    @quimbexa I'm not sure but that doesn't look good. Wipe cache?

quimbexa

Aug 10, 2012
    As our beloved Bacon is currently in the lead for Lineage OS installs (currently at 88,704!) and O development is going smoothly, it does seem very likely that we'll receive the update. However, we can't be absolutely sure. If Google changes something on their part that breaks important (but now admittedly old) drivers for our device, it might be the end of the line. That doesn't mean support would stop though, Nougat will still receive many security updates after Android Oreo is launched. Odds are looking in our favor :)

I'm not a fan of these toolkits, you can destroy many things with just the click of a button. Also, it's better to understand what's really going on when taking such actions. You can only know what's going on if you insert the commands yourself. That said, the tool will work as it simply pushes the same ADB and Fastboot commands.

@quimbexa I'm not sure but that doesn't look good. Wipe cache?

Not to worry my friend, after a full discharge and charge cicle it's back to normal ;)

Smartphonz

Aug 30, 2009
    As our beloved Bacon is currently in the lead for Lineage OS installs (currently at 88,704!)

I am now a proud new member of the club! It took me a good while though. I had to use a combination of two-three help guides but in the the end, I was able to get it done. I had some issues with ABD and Gapps. I'm glad be here and hope that development continues for years to come on this wonderful device. I have to say that there should be a guide that can run folks through the entire process.

I really appreciate your willingness to help. That means a lot when guides are not always 100% accurate.

Timmmmaaahh!

Forum Moderator
    Staff member
  • Sep 11, 2012
    Bruges
    As our beloved Bacon is currently in the lead for Lineage OS installs (currently at 88,704!)

I am now a proud new member of the club! It took me a good while though. I had to use a combination of two-three help guides but in the the end, I was able to get it done. I had some issues with ABD and Gapps. I'm glad be here and hope that development continues for years to come on this wonderful device. I have to say that there should be a guide that can run folks through the entire process.

I really appreciate your willingness to help. That means a lot when guides are not always 100% accurate.
    tumblr_o3y4pherIa1s3h43ko1_500.gif

I don't believe there really are that many brand spankin' new users as yourself anymore but I could add it to my guide, which is currently limited to what comes after the unlocking process. If you have any suggestions you'd like to add, feel free to send me a message. It's been a long time for me :D

Smartphonz

Aug 30, 2009
    tumblr_o3y4pherIa1s3h43ko1_500.gif

I don't believe there really are that many brand spankin' new users as yourself anymore but I could add it to my guide, which is currently limited to what comes after the unlocking process. If you have any suggestions you'd like to add, feel free to send me a message. It's been a long time for me :D

I'm surprised by that. I would think that folks would want to extend the life of there phone by adding the latest software and security patches. Yeah, it requires some work but the payoff is so worth it.

I used both of these guides:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-one/general/guides-bacon-timmaaas-how-to-guides-t2839471
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...rp-install-lineageos-no-root-required.500678/

The one thing that was hard for me to figure out was the recommended Gapps for Lineage OS. I found something that spelled out what each error message meant but I don't recall where exactly I saw that. The gist apparently is to keep using a smaller version if you get error message while installing Gapps. When installing the custom recovery, I found that renaming it recovery and using the 2nd set of instructions worked out better for me that the initial instructions. I used that first one mostly and then used the 2nd one if I encountered any issues. Hope this helps!

Reactions: Timmmmaaahh!

juno256

Jan 15, 2009
    Ok guys this is a bit f**** up!

I have an issue with my OPO which is this, all works fine apart from making and receiving calls (although sometimes this works) I can use my data plan, I can send sms, If someone calls me I receive an sms about a missed call.

I have OxygenOS 2.1.4 installed.

Earlier today I had TWRP and the latest lineageos installed. The problem was still there. I tried flashing different radios until I ended up corrupting something and ended having no IMEI. Anyway was lucky reflashed OxygenOs and I have my phone back and even managed to make one call! That is all.

Any idea on what this might be? Do I have a brick?

Timmmmaaahh!

Forum Moderator
    Staff member
  • Sep 11, 2012
    Bruges
    Any idea on what this might be? Do I have a brick?
    Sounds like you shot your EFS for a minute there, which in some cases means the EOL of the device. In that case you got lucky! Did you restore from a nandroid or just reflashed the ROM? If it's currently working, go into TWRP, make a backup of EFS + Modem + Boot and copy that backup to an external location. Always keep such backup on the device too, it's a great anti-disaster remedy.

Sent from my OnePlus One using XDA Labs

juno256

Jan 15, 2009
    Sounds like you shot your EFS for a minute there, which in some cases means the EOL of the device. In that case you got lucky! Did you restore from a nandroid or just reflashed the ROM? If it's currently working, go into TWRP, make a backup of EFS + Modem + Boot and copy that backup to an external location. Always keep such backup on the device too, it's a great anti-disaster remedy.

Sent from my OnePlus One using XDA Labs

I am currently not happy with the modem I have loaded from oxygenos having a lot of issues.

Any idea where to get a modem that works with lineageos?

Timmmmaaahh!

Forum Moderator
    Staff member
  • Sep 11, 2012
    Bruges
    I am currently not happy with the modem I have loaded from oxygenos having a lot of issues.

Any idea where to get a modem that works with lineageos?

In theory, all of these do:
    [source]
    Some should work well for you, some will probably be terrible.

Gringoodbye

Aug 4, 2016
    Hi im a new member here that seeking for knowledge and help anyway i got problem with my oneplus one.

it is quite weird when my oneplus one fully charged but when i unplugged the cable it shutting down and reboot multiple time but only at oneplus logo and repeating over and over again but when plug in my cable charger to my phone it works well,so the problem is i am confuse,which problem my phone facing now?,a battery that isn't good anymore or my software?,hope there is generous and kind people who willing to help me,thats all,thanks a lot xda community.

psxda97

Nov 1, 2015
    Hi im a new member here that seeking for knowledge and help anyway i got problem with my oneplus one.

it is quite weird when my oneplus one fully charged but when i unplugged the cable it shutting down and reboot multiple time but only at oneplus logo and repeating over and over again but when plug in my cable charger to my phone it works well,so the problem is i am confuse,which problem my phone facing now?,a battery that isn't good anymore or my software?,hope there is generous and kind people who willing to help me,thats all,thanks a lot xda community.

It's a battery issue. Replace your battery.
    Cheers :)

Timmmmaaahh!

Forum Moderator
    Staff member
  • Sep 11, 2012
    Bruges
    a battery that isn't good anymore or my software?

@psxda97 is most likely correct but could you confirm if the software hasn't been altered in any way? In other words: is the bootloader still locked? In other other words: are you still on stock software? In other other other words: you have not been messing with it? In other other oth.. meh, you should get it by now :silly:

Gringoodbye

Aug 4, 2016
    @psxda97 is most likely correct but could you confirm if the software hasn't been altered in any way? In other words: is the bootloader still locked? In other other words: are you still on stock software? In other other other words: you have not been messing with it? In other other oth.. meh, you should get it by now :silly:

nah it still stock rom,i dont have an idea how to change to another rom,this is happen after i play minecraft suddenly my phone getting hot and shut down.

psxda97

Nov 1, 2015

nah it still stock rom,i dont have an idea how to change to another rom,this is happen after i play minecraft suddenly my phone getting hot and shut down.

I had the exact same issue. When I connect to charger, the phone is working perfectly. When I disconnect, It will start to reboot manually.
    I tried Flashing stock images, discharging the battery completely and charge it to 100%. Nothing worked. Finally I ordered a battery from eBay and manually replaced it. Now everything back to normal :)
    BTW a lot of opo users experiencing this same issue.

Reactions: Gringoodbye

-OPOLover-

Jun 26, 2017
    Barcelona
    Any Rom+kernel firmware for battery life?

I have a question, I' m with my OPO with the ROM NucleaRom 3.1(A 5.1.1) with stock kernel, my question is:
    What ROM, kernel and firmware do you recommend for better battery life?
    I do a few photos, play games like Clash Royale and GTA:SA.This Rom is very good (5h +- SOT playing CR and a few YT vids)
    I want better battery, cause I never settle(yep, as OnePlus says)
    I tested a lot of Roms like Sultan, RR, Pure Nexus...
    Any combination of Rom+kernel+firmware that makes an amazing battery life?
    I don't want to downgrade to a 4.x.x Rom
    Any tips?Thx a lot!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      [SIZE=+2]This thread has been created
      for
      Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
      [/SIZE]​
      [SIZE=+2]Specific to[/SIZE]

Oneplus One

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

redLine.png

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
      redLine.png
      List of supporters
      ... @Heisenberg
      ... @dansou901
      ...​
      To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.
      If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. If you are not eligible of posting there, you may post here. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!
      Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read
      Please look for a similar [HELP THREAD] when visiting another device forum.
      If you would like to create a similar [Help Thread] please Click Here.
      Hi.

So I have gone through and done a bit of tidying up of some off topic that was starting to get messy.

As a reminder, let's all remember that while this is an English speaking forum, not everyone speaks English as a first language and it may be harder to understand and communicate at times. I certainly can't speak any German or Japanese, or many other languages. That being said, it is very important for anyone that is having a problem and needs help, to do their absolute best to explain their problem/question in the clearest, most precise way that they can. You are more likely to get the help that you need if you do, and it will cause less confusion and frustration both for the person seeking help, and the person volunteering their time and knowledge to help with the problem.

Alright, let's get back on track and be sure to stay civil and respectful to everyone. :good:

even @GermainZ (Hi buddy!)
      Yes i am y r u moany at everyone that asks a simple question ive seen u do it in other responces we only need ur help not attitude next time think i wont bother asking

Sent from my LG-D855 using XDA Free mobile app
      I'm "moaning" because I'm being kind enough to take time out of my day to try to help you, the least you could do is pay attention to the help you're being given. Asking the same question over and over and not actually absorbing the response only wastes both of our time. Provide links to other "moaning" responses of mine please and I'll give you perfectly rational and fair reasons for the tone of my post. I'm here to help you, and I'm putting in effort to do so, but it's only fair that you put in the effort too because you're the one benefiting from this.

Transmitted via Bacon
      An answer for all the people asking how to increase battery life !!
      Frankly, I beg to differ. I have endured your video (yes, all of it) and must disapprove of it, especially in this thread. It is filled with controversial and dangerous changes that may jeopardize the integrity of the Android system and functionality in general. Some examples:
      • You speak badly of Greenify because it disables background application while earlier in the video you actually disabled background processes aggressively in developer settings. I'd like to remind you that Greenify has very clever algorithms to hibernate (not kill!) applications and has an excellent reputation in the Android ecosystem.
      • You're telling people to turn off ALL syncing processes without warning them of the implications. No syncing means no contact/calendar/notes backups and a pretty significant gap in user experience.
      • Saying that installing Xposed is easy, is true. But rendering an Android system useless with Xposed is easy as well. Please don't advertise this very powerful suite as 'another battery saving app'. Also, it's important to note that Xposed is not relevant to Nougat users for the time being.

Sizzled with Bacon
      So if you don't get a invite can you still buy the device.Does anyone know how much it will cost. And who makes and sells the device. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone