[Q&A] Noob -Friendly Q&A Help Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Search This thread

mpmca90

Jan 28, 2014
That version is fine, you have root. Just make sure your update TWRP to the latest version or it won't be able to access your internal storage.

i have installed the twrp app from play store and now its updating the recover to 3.0.0.1 i hope thats fine and after updating to do you want me to installed the supersu.zip from recovery

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
i have installed the twrp app from play store and now its updating the recover to 3.0.0.1 i hope thats fine and after updating to do you want me to installed the supersu.zip from recovery

Don't use the TWRP app, it's known to cause problems, flash TWRP with fastboot next time. Everything you need is in my guide:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6p/general/guides-how-to-guides-beginners-t3206928

It's up to you whether you install the SuperSU zoo in recovery but it's unnecessary because the version you currently have should be fine.

dengseng

Oct 10, 2011
Adelaide
hey, I am not sure what exactly I did but during fastboot flash I accidentally did a command line that goes "fastboot flash bot boot.img".
I'm pretty sure after creating the bot partition it wouldn't affect anything because the partition isn't used in any scripts. However, I would like to know how to remove the partition because I tried "fastboot erase bot" and cmd says permission denied or some sorts.

Also, another problem came up after I have done multiple attempts to fix this and a camera problem (which I eventually fixed using original boot.img and vendor.img followed by a systemless root). My notifications bar is no longer showing any notification although my notification log clearly shows the notifications after hearing the notification sounds. Also, the quick access cannot be dragged down. Did I mess up the phone too much and now I have to wipe everything and start fresh? I hope I don't have to.

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
hey, I am not sure what exactly I did but during fastboot flash I accidentally did a command line that goes "fastboot flash bot boot.img".
I'm pretty sure after creating the bot partition it wouldn't affect anything because the partition isn't used in any scripts. However, I would like to know how to remove the partition because I tried "fastboot erase bot" and cmd says permission denied or some sorts.

Also, another problem came up after I have done multiple attempts to fix this and a camera problem (which I eventually fixed using original boot.img and vendor.img followed by a systemless root). My notifications bar is no longer showing any notification although my notification log clearly shows the notifications after hearing the notification sounds. Also, the quick access cannot be dragged down. Did I mess up the phone too much and now I have to wipe everything and start fresh? I hope I don't have to.
There should be nothing to fix, there is no boy partition ago so nothing was flashed. Did you flash anything else with fastboot?

dengseng

Oct 10, 2011
Adelaide
There should be nothing to fix, there is no boy partition ago so nothing was flashed. Did you flash anything else with fastboot?

just back and forth between the image files of MMB29Q and MHC19I, when I first done the backward flash of the February images I saw this on boot
"com.quicinc.cne.CNEservice stopped working"
not sure what that was maybe it's affecting the notifications/quick access bar

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
just back and forth between the image files of MMB29Q and MHC19I, when I first done the backward flash of the February images I saw this on boot
"com.quicinc.cne.CNEservice stopped working"
not sure what that was maybe it's affecting the notifications/quick access bar
You haven't wipewipe data, that's causing a conflict, boot into TWRP and wipe data, then flash whatever factory images you want.

Reactions: dengseng

yatezy

Jun 13, 2012
How can you tell which vendor image a ROM needs?

I jumped in head first earlier (day one of owning the phone and not enough reading) and flashed AICP. Upon boot i kept getting the warning that my vendor image is out of date and the Play Services kept closing. I gather the two where related so went for a root around and im now on Pure Nexus with the correct vendor image and all is hunky dory.

Even after looking at AICPs G+ page, and even ROMs here at xda, it doesnt seem to be mentioned unless you find it or are following the thread. Is there an obvious way to spot it?

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
How can you tell which vendor image a ROM needs?

I jumped in head first earlier (day one of owning the phone and not enough reading) and flashed AICP. Upon boot i kept getting the warning that my vendor image is out of date and the Play Services kept closing. I gather the two where related so went for a root around and im now on Pure Nexus with the correct vendor image and all is hunky dory.

Even after looking at AICPs G+ page, and even ROMs here at xda, it doesnt seem to be mentioned unless you find it or are following the thread. Is there an obvious way to spot it?
It can be difficult because some developers don't bother to include this information in the OP of their thread. Sometimes you just need to guess, based on the build date of the ROM, and use that to determine which stock build it might be based on.

yatezy

Jun 13, 2012
It can be difficult because some developers don't bother to include this information in the OP of their thread. Sometimes you just need to guess, based on the build date of the ROM, and use that to determine which stock build it might be based on.

Would it be possible to store a couple of vendor images on the phone and flash back and fourth till i get the right one? Or can you not flash to an older image?

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
Would it be possible to store a couple of vendor images on the phone and flash back and fourth till i get the right one? Or can you not flash to an older image?
You can do that. Usually you'll just get the "your vendor is outdated..." message when it boots up. But, I believe there are times when the phone won't boot too so you'd want to make a nandroid backup first just in case. Usually though, anything released at the moment will require the latest (MHC19I) vendor.

yatezy

Jun 13, 2012
You can do that. Usually you'll just get the "your vendor is outdated..." message when it boots up. But, I believe there are times when the phone won't boot too so you'd want to make a nandroid backup first just in case. Usually though, anything released at the moment will require the latest (MHC19I) vendor.

Cheers, good info to know.

Just a final question then. Would an outdated vendor image cause Play Service problems? Or was it just a potentially borked download/flash?

force70

Jan 27, 2012
toronto
Cheers, good info to know.

Just a final question then. Would an outdated vendor image cause Play Service problems? Or was it just a potentially borked download/flash?

I had a seniors moment and without realizing flashed the wrong vendor bur got through my entire set up, downloaded all my apps from the play store etc etc no problem.

sent from my Nexus 6P, Note 5, Nexus 6 or Note 4

yatezy

Jun 13, 2012
I honestly don't know, sorry.

No problem, cheers for the help :)

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

I had a seniors moment and without realizing flashed the wrong vendor bur got through my entire set up, downloaded all my apps from the play store etc etc no problem.

sent from my Nexus 6P, Note 5, Nexus 6 or Note 4

Must've just been a poor flash then or bad download then, I'll try again in the future. Cheers.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+2]This thread has been created for
    Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
    [/SIZE]​
    [SIZE=+2]Specific to[/SIZE]
    RHMqaH1.jpg

Nexus 6P

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to thank an answer instead of posting "Thank you".

z7e6jQa.jpg

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to the Nexus 6P
    z7e6jQa.jpg

List of supporters

To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.
    If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. If you are not eligible of posting there, you may post here. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read

Please look for a similar [HELP THREAD] when visiting another device forum.
    If you would like to create a similar [Help Thread] please Click Here.
    I'm having a hard time deciding which color to choose, I searched only but there seems to be no pictures of the 3 different colors side by side.

Does anyone here found some? Please not the one provided by Google since IMO they don't represent the colors accurately.

Thanks.

As a future Nexus owner, Google is your friend.

Google-Nexus-6P-Hands-on-6.JPG.jpg

Google-Nexus-6P-back-Novet-2.jpg

nexus-6p-12.jpg
    Sometimes while unlocking the phone using fingerprint reader, it asks me for PIN too saying pin required for additional security. Its very random.
    Is it some sort of bug or designed that way. If designed that way, when does it asks to PIN?

It's just an extra security step. I used to see it with my phone a lot more in the beginning, but haven't seen it as much lately. Not sure if it is related to Smart Lock or just how many times you unlock between using a PIN.

Sometimes I use my PIN instead of fingerprint if my phone is laying flat on the table and I don't want to pick it up (holding something in my other hand, etc), so I might override that additional check by happenstance.
    From the Nexus Imprint help page:

Sometimes you might need to use your backup PIN, pattern, or password:

*When your fingerprint isn't recognized after a few tries
    *After restarting your device
    *After switching to a different user on the device
    *After more than 48 hours have passed since you last unlocked using your backup method

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6285273?hl=en

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    can anyone give me some insight into how I should go about rooting my new Nexus?

Just one word. Heisenberg
    I'm on the latest build, MHC19I, and am currently rooted with custom kernel. I want to replace my custom kernel with ElementalX kernel. However I know it is highly suggested by the dev of that kernel to NOT flash it over a custom kernel. Is there a way to wipe just the kernel prior to flashing latest ElementalX? Or do I have to flash the system image (or is it bootloader.img?) again to obtain stock kernel and then flash ElementalX?

Just flash the boot.img from the stock download, then SuperSU (if you want root), then ElementalX. You can flash the boot.img from TWRP or with fastboot.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone