• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q&A] Noob -Friendly Q&A Help Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Search This thread

tazaga

Jul 19, 2015
Hi all
I have s7 edge with knox ok so i need to know
1- is there anyway to backup efs folder without tripping knox
2- is there anyway rooting without tripping knox
3- is fingerprint still work after root ?
Thanks all

ARTAQaf

Feb 7, 2012
Western NY State
Why does my S7 Edge receive Group Texts as all separate texts? Very frustrating. my wife's phone (plain S7) does this to. for example, this past week a friend had a group text with 10 people planning a social event. both my wife and i receive most everyone's replies separately, instead of ALL in the same group text. sometimes 2 people will be in the same reply.

any ideas how we can fix this??

thanks in advance for any help :D

SinisterDev

Mar 15, 2012
I want to buy some extra cables for my new Galaxy S9 plus. Im trying to find out exactly what usb protocol is used on the device. Is it 3.0 or 3.1?

Cant seem to find the exact info online. Ill mostly be using the cable to charge but will occasionally use it for moving large files too.

flashie99

Mar 24, 2018
Boot loop without recovery

I have a classmate who was updating his phone to nougat of course and after the update the phone got into boot loop the problem is that I can't access recovery mode on his phone and can't get into safe mode nor to the home screen only download mode even after flashing the stock ROM back with Odin ...
I am kind of desperate now,could you help me guys?
P.S.: this is my first post so please don't be mad if it is in the wrong place or had been asked before.

LawrenceTech

Mar 27, 2018
Un-Able to get a sim to work after un-rooting. SM-G930F

Hi,
After i unrooted my SM G930F i am not able to get a sim to work and i cant get my IMEI back.
Where the signal icon should be there is a circle with a line thru it.

heofizzy

May 7, 2017
S7 edge bootloop

Recently I noticed some strange lags when using wifi. Phone started to restart very often when wifi was being used. Yesterday it went to a bootloop. Long story short: I tried everything to boot the phone, however it is stuck in bootloop. I tried to do factory reset, cache clear, I tried to reinstall latest firmware with odin, however nothing helped. Phone was not rooted, with stock firmware, no modifications. I can access download mode and recovery. Do you guys have any ideas what could be done?

Sixonefour

Aug 20, 2012
Ohio
Deleting Top Contacts?

Hi,

On Nougat stock using the Google Messages app I can't seem to find an option to remove the top contacts after pressing the + for a new SMS. I know it used to be in the dialer app options but not anymore. Can anyone point me to the setting or does it not exist anymore?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Valdetnamani

Apr 4, 2018
Samsung Galaxy s7 Edge sm-g935f downgrade to 6.0.1

Hello guys, I want to downgrade to android 6.0.1, but i can’t find the right(correct) firmware. I have tried a lot of firmwares, but in the end, something won’t work, vibration won’t work, or phone is working too slowly... my csc is: G935FAUT2DRB1. My pda is: G935FXXU2DRB6. In the sammobile webpage I have found android 7 with csc and pda, but android 6 I can’t find, could someone tell me how can i find the firmware? Thank u.

Kuro Miku

Aug 22, 2014
I've read a few instances of people who rooted their s7 edge that have lost fingerprint functionality. I have a G935W8 (Canadian Model)

Would this occur if I attempted to root with magisk in the Canadian variant? Thanks!

eum1r

Oct 2, 2014
Hello guys, I want to downgrade to android 6.0.1, but i can’t find the right(correct) firmware. I have tried a lot of firmwares, but in the end, something won’t work, vibration won’t work, or phone is working too slowly... my csc is: G935FAUT2DRB1. My pda is: G935FXXU2DRB6. In the sammobile webpage I have found android 7 with csc and pda, but android 6 I can’t find, could someone tell me how can i find the firmware? Thank u.

Im not sure if you can downgrade to mm,if you are on jan. 2018 patch i think it cannot,and afaik downgrading is not always possible to do as new update changes other files like bootloader

Hello,
Every time I try to install TWRP with Odin, my S7 edge gets stuck in Odin mode. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

What version of s7 do you have and version of twrp? Please check compatibility,you can find compatible twrp for s7 here in xda

Recently I noticed some strange lags when using wifi. Phone started to restart very often when wifi was being used. Yesterday it went to a bootloop. Long story short: I tried everything to boot the phone, however it is stuck in bootloop. I tried to do factory reset, cache clear, I tried to reinstall latest firmware with odin, however nothing helped. Phone was not rooted, with stock firmware, no modifications. I can access download mode and recovery. Do you guys have any ideas what could be done?

Its weird to have a sudden issues like that,are you sure you flash the the right fw for you're s7? If you are sure then it is likely hardware,not sure though but it is the most possible issue,board

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+2]This thread has been created
    for
    Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
    [/SIZE]​
    [SIZE=+2]Specific to[/SIZE]
    galaxy-s7_gallery_front_black_s4.png

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
    attachment.php
    List of supporters
    ...​
    To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.
    If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!
    Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read
    Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
    If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.
    I picked up a Galaxy S7 Edge because I wanted to use a Samsung Gear VR. I've seen people in the AT&T section say that the carrier-branded variants were awful for rooting and ROMs, so I picked up an unlocked S7 Edge (SM-G935U) from Best Buy. Checking here, I see that the Snapdragon section for development is very empty, with much more activity in the Exynos section. So is the US unlocked variant just as bad as the carrier variants, and should I return it and get an international S7 Edge instead?

Yes of course...snapdragons have a locked bootloader. Pretty much useless if your into development.

I got an F version because of this although the W8 version here un Canada is also exynos but the updates are slow as hell.

Sent from my Note 7, S7 Edge or S6
    re: encryption

I have a SM-G935F on 6.0.1
    I rooted with Auto-root and then stupidly installed SuperKernel.
    The phone started to rebbot every few minutes.
    I had installed Flashify and had backed up the stock kernel.
    I tried to rollback, but the phone rebooted and then went into a bootloop during logo.
    I have TWRP installed, but data folder isn't mounting:

"failed to mount /data (Invalid argument)
    can't mount '/data' (Invalid argument)"

I want to know what my options are.

1. Why won't the data folder mount? Is it due to encryption? I did not encrypt it, is it encrypted by default?

2. Do I have to install the stock kernel for marshmallow using Odin or can I install Nougat?

3. Can I install a custom Rom, does it have to be marshmallow or can i go for nougat?

Any help will be much appreciated

Your data is still encrypted.
    Here is what you need to do:

1. Boot into TWRP
    2. Select Wipe
    3. Select format data
    4. Then you manually need to type "yes" with the keyboard
    5. Confirm the wipe (this will remove the encryption)
    6. Reboot into twrp recovery
    7. Flash the custom rom of your choice

Be sure that after you FORMAT DATA
    do a full and complete wipe including a
    factory reset in twrp before flashing any
    roms.

Please note: formatting data will wipe/erase your internal sdcard (memory).
    It will NOT wipe or erase your external sdcard.

You do not need to re-root your phone, all custom roms are pre-rooted.

Good luck, have a great day!

---------- Post added at 03:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 AM ----------

yeah noob friendly thats exactly what i need, so heres the case. im fresh proud owner of S7 Edge (2months of starvation) also im resident (not so proud) of poland wich means my csc i XEO i feel so hurth for not being touched by nougat fingers that i decide to swap to BTU and here are my questions. 1st of all will it trip knox if i flash soft from sammobile? do i have to flash marshmallow then nugat or just nugat, also if theres something i need to know before i proceed to execute that hard surgery, pls tell me i dont want to brick or hurth my phone, its worth more than my life, like really

Anything you download and odin flash from Sammobile.com
    will NOT trip knox.

You can choose either the Nougat 7 firmware or Marshmallow
    firmware. You do NOT need to flash Marshmallow firmware
    before flashing the Nougat 7 firmware.

Just make sure that you flash the the correct firmware for
    your phone's model. (S7 or S7 Edge whichever you have).

Good luck, have a great day!
    A quick re-ask since I think my previous post got lost in the thread:

Since the Home_CSC file doesn't seem to exist for my version, can I flash AP, BL, and CP and skip the CSC file so I don't lose files? I'm trying to recover photos.

Thanks in advance.
    It should work but you might encounter weird bugs. So I would suggest after recovering your photos reflash the firmware and this time also flash CSC.