[Q&A][Oneplus 5]Help thread, newbies post here first

Search This thread

dansou901

Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2012
Aachen
OnePlus Nord
Oneplus 5 Help Thread

Welcome to the Oneplus 5 help thread! You can ask all questions here without the need of background knowledge. This thread is dedicated to solve users problems, so if you don't want to start a new thread for your question, ask it here. Members ready to help will be monitoring this thread and provide answers as soon as possible. A list of supporters will be added here as soon as the thread is getting more answers.

For everyone having trouble with rooting send installing a recovery: Please read this first. Thanks to @Funk Wizard for the great guide!

To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @. Also, if you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. If you are not eligible of posting there, you may post here. Thank you!

Supporters:If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!

ROM developers: Please read this. Consider if you want to have a ROM specific help thread or not, if not, most likely questions about your ROM will be asked here if the users aren't eligable for posting in development section.

Last edited:

dansou901

Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2012
Aachen
OnePlus Nord
Does the old dash charger and cable from OP3 work with OP5? Is there any difference between the old and new charger?
I can't tell for sure, but I would say it should be compatible. The product itself didn't change on Oneplus Store after Oneplus 5 launch; that should be an indicator for compatibility accross versions. Is there someone here who can confirm that (upgraded from 3 or 3t)?

Reactions: Squabl

Squabl

Jun 21, 2014
I can't tell for sure, but I would say it should be compatible. The product itself didn't change on Oneplus Store after Oneplus 5 launch; that should be an indicator for compatibility accross versions. Is there someone here who can confirm that (upgraded from 3 or 3t)?
I posted a question for Oneplus support and they confirmed that my old dash charges (the car and the mains) both work with the OP5

Reactions: dansou901

rav101

Dec 1, 2013
Walsall
Google Pixel 5
I'm planning on unblocking the bootloader when I get the phone. If I wanted to relock the bootloader at a later stage, is this possible and will it go back to "locked" or "relocked" type status, or would you be able to tell it was ever unlocked?

Just curious if this will have implications to DM Verity and android pay working in the future if I ever wanted to go back to pure stock without root and have those things work.

Sent from my HTC 10 using XDA Labs

Funk Wizard

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2014
New Delhi
Does the old dash charger and cable from OP3 work with OP5? Is there any difference between the old and new charger?
Yes OP3/3T Dash charger or car dash charger both would work fine with OP5 and Visa Versa

I'm planning on unblocking the bootloader when I get the phone. If I wanted to relock the bootloader at a later stage, is this possible and will it go back to "locked" or "relocked" type status, or would you be able to tell it was ever unlocked?

Just curious if this will have implications to DM Verity and android pay working in the future if I ever wanted to go back to pure stock without root and have those things work.

Sent from my HTC 10 using XDA Labs

Yes you can lock the bootloader later on via fastboot to locked status, no implications with DM verity if you flash the no verity zip.

You can go back to stock anytime you want
Just flash the latest stock rom and recovery and lock the bootloader to go back to stock.

Sent from Funk Tuned 3T

Reactions: bigjailerman

Anubarak16

Oct 24, 2014
Hey I just got mine OP5 few minutes ago, now I would like to unlock the Bootloader but in order to do this I need the drivers for windows 10... where can I download them? If I just turn on my device and connect it nothing happens

Last edited:

3DSammy

May 5, 2011
Toronto
Hey I just got mine OP5 few minutes ago, now I would like to unlock the Bootloader but in order to do this I need the drivers for windows 10... where can I download them? If I just turn on my device and connect it nothing happens
Check this post specifically but you want to read all of the instructions in this thread "OnePlus 5: Unlock Bootloader | Flash TWRP | Root | Nandroid & EFS Backup & More !!".
My OP5 is currently unlocked and waiting for TWRP to become available.

Last edited:

Anubarak16

Oct 24, 2014

SlyUK

May 13, 2015
If I buy the OP 5, I hope to use it for 3 years, therefore:

How long will software & security updates be provided for OOS with regards to the OP 5 ?

Can I expect 2 years and then in the third year be advised to flash a custom rom (I'm sure there will be plenty).

Reactions: doctorfetch

louism182

Nov 1, 2013
London
USB Audio

Just got the phone today only to discover that it USB audio doesn't work out of the box. Had USB audio working fine on the OPO but I can't seem to find a way of getting it to work in my car.
I've ran through all of the options and even rooted it to try and mess with a couple of .xml files but still nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

User422

Aug 8, 2015

I've heard that a device teardown revealed that they are still using the same dash charge part in the OP5 as in the OP3(T).
I guess that won't be a problem.

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

Hey guys, I want to root and probably even flash a custom rom on the OP5. But I had to learn the hard way that flashing a custom rom can damage the device hardware.

I've got my damaged Galaxy Note 4 (probably a broken motherboard according to some xda users) working now except some shut downs/ freezes thanks to a bit of practice that I've made in the last four months.

What could I do to not end up with a device with broken hardware cause of custom Roms? OP clearly says on their warranty page that rooting doesn't void the warranty but damaged hardware does.

Thanks in advance.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

How long will software & security updates be provided for OOS with regards to the OP 5 ?

Can I expect 2 years and then in the third year be advised to flash a custom rom (I'm sure there will be plenty).

The OP5 is the fastest selling phone from OP according to a tweet from themselves. And the OP3(T) is still in the top ten of most popular xda threads.
We should be able to get a proper custom rom soon and good support for a minimum of three years is what I'd expect to happen for such a device.

rav101

Dec 1, 2013
Walsall
Google Pixel 5
Does anyone has full signed zip for oxygen os??

I don't believe it has been released. The phone has general launch on the 27th so I presume that's when they will make this stuff available.

I have uploaded a TWRP backup of my system and boot though If you need that? Check the other questions and answers topic for 4.5.1 backup needed.

Sent from my OnePlus5 using XDA Labs

Shalim2904

Jun 24, 2017
Thanks for the offer right now i dont really need it but is nice to have oxygen os since what i have is chinese version which i already install playstore using google installer

psxda97

Nov 1, 2015

I'm still getting good community support for my opo. Seriously, I don't have a reason to update to op5.

Reactions: SlyUK

SlyUK

May 13, 2015
I'm still getting good community support for my opo. Seriously, I don't have a reason to update to op5.

How long did you use Stock (I'm guessing at that time it was CyanogenMod, as OOS didn't exist), before moving onto the custom rom scene ?

Its good to know your OPO is still serving you well also :)

psxda97

Nov 1, 2015
How long did you use Stock (I'm guessing at that time it was CyanogenMod, as OOS didn't exist), before moving onto the custom rom scene ?

Its good to know your OPO is still serving you well also :)

A month or something. I was frustrated with the bloat wares of Cyanogen from COS12. So I moved to official cm12. After a month Sultan dropped his cm12.1. From there on wards I was using Sultan's Builds. His ROM is rock solid,more stable than stock! For me community builds are way better than what OEMs giving us. I never tried OOS BTW

Reactions: SlyUK

SlyUK

May 13, 2015
A month or something. I was frustrated with the bloat wares of Cyanogen from COS12. So I moved to official cm12. After a month Sultan dropped his cm12.1. From there on wards I was using Sultan's Builds. His ROM is rock solid,more stable than stock! For me community builds are way better than what OEMs giving us. I never tried OOS BTW

Well when you do eventually upgrade from the OPO to I'm guessing another OnePlus smartphone in the future, enjoy the massive spec increase and i'm sure Sultan's roms will be there also :) for you to enjoy.

Reactions: psxda97

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oneplus 5 Help Thread

Welcome to the Oneplus 5 help thread! You can ask all questions here without the need of background knowledge. This thread is dedicated to solve users problems, so if you don't want to start a new thread for your question, ask it here. Members ready to help will be monitoring this thread and provide answers as soon as possible. A list of supporters will be added here as soon as the thread is getting more answers.

For everyone having trouble with rooting send installing a recovery: Please read this first. Thanks to @Funk Wizard for the great guide!

To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @. Also, if you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. If you are not eligible of posting there, you may post here. Thank you!

Supporters:If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!

ROM developers: Please read this. Consider if you want to have a ROM specific help thread or not, if not, most likely questions about your ROM will be asked here if the users aren't eligable for posting in development section.
    Hey.

Not new to xda. Been out of all the action for a couple of years and I'm returning with the one plus 5.

Does anyone know if I can unlock and root without screwing up Android pay? There's this Magisk thing I've read, but some tutorial on how to load it up on the one plus 5 would be nice.
    Yes, super easy. Look in the Dev section for full install. Cliff notes:
    Unlock bootloader via fastboot (performs a full format)
    Install TWRP v58
    Install Magisk via TWRP (it's a zip)
    In Magisk there is an option that allows you to hide root from certain apps, Android pay is on by default.

When you update the OS, do a full install (refer to official threads here on XDA for full downloads)
    Go to TWRP
    Perform a full backup
    Wipe dalvik cache
    Install new OS (full install)
    Reinstall Magisk
    Wipe dalivk cache
    Reboot the phone
    You won't lose anything with this method

Is it possible to keep root after updating your OS? i just updated to oxygenOS 4.5.4 (flashed it through zip on OP forums) and I lost my root and TWRP recovery.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A5000 met Tapatalk

See above, just refash Magisk in TWRP and wipe dalvik cache.
    I'm not sure if @martinusbe got op5.

it's in the mail
    Hey, I have a question regarding rooting and OTAs! As far as I've understood, flashing a custom recovery and root after unlocking the bootloader breaks the OTAs and makes it a hassle to update your phone unless you're running a custom ROM, which im not planning to do just yet. My question is: is there a way to unlock the bootloader and root the device WITHOUT flashing a custom recovery, which (hopefully) wouldn't break OTA updates?
    I don't have a custom ROM
    I'm on 4.5.4
    I have TWRP installed and am rooted via Magisk
    With an Ota, OOS detects root and does a full download. To install it, you boot into recovery (TWRP) wipe dalvik cache, install full Ota (about 1.5gb), reflash Magisk whole in TWRP
    Wipe dalvik cache once more and reboot. No issues here.
    And that would be?
    default_password
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone