[Q&A][Oneplus 5]Help thread, newbies post here first

Search This thread

skp1994

Sep 7, 2014
screwed up one plus system partition

Hey, I accidentally formatted system partition, through twrp. As of now there is no OS in my op5.
General research says that until full rom is available my phone remains dead, is there any way to flash any rom so that i could use my phone(right now i am stuck with twrp only:( )
else how long should i wait for full rom

StarzSkyz

May 11, 2014
I'm looking for a flashable SafetyNet Patch zip, as I have unlocked the bootloader only to restore a TitaniumBackup onto my OP5, so re-locking it isn't an option.(correct me if I'm wrong)
So if there is a flashable zip for it, where could I find it, or if not, then how can I compile one for the OP5?

Edit: I'm currently on 4.5.2 OOS, stock kernel. I'm trying not to use any form of root as I have tried Magisk, which did pass SafetyNet, but root gets detected by Fate/Grand Order(both US and JPN). So if there is no flashable zip for the patch, is there anyone making a stock kernel with the patch?

Last edited:

Rohit02

Sep 17, 2012
Pune
If I buy the OP 5, I hope to use it for 3 years, therefore:

How long will software & security updates be provided for OOS with regards to the OP 5 ?

Can I expect 2 years and then in the third year be advised to flash a custom rom (I'm sure there will be plenty).

Yes you can. If not officially XDA is always there to help you. Custom ROMS FTW!!!

Reactions: SlyUK

Hetalk

Sep 30, 2011
Ahmedabad
Oneplus 5 Help Thread

Welcome to the Oneplus 5 help thread! You can ask all questions here without the need of background knowledge. This thread is dedicated to solve users problems, so if you don't want to start a new thread for your question, ask it here. Members ready to help will be monitoring this thread and provide answers as soon as possible. A list of supporters will be added here as soon as the thread is getting more answers.

For everyone having trouble with rooting send installing a recovery: Please read this first. Thanks to @Funk Wizard for the great guide!

To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @. Also, if you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. If you are not eligible of posting there, you may post here. Thank you!

Supporters:If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!

ROM developers: Please read this. Consider if you want to have a ROM specific help thread or not, if not, most likely questions about your ROM will be asked here if the users aren't eligable for posting in development section.

I just got oneplus 5. I can help out with answering as well.

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Hey, I accidentally formatted system partition, through twrp. As of now there is no OS in my op5.
General research says that until full rom is available my phone remains dead, is there any way to flash any rom so that i could use my phone(right now i am stuck with twrp only:( )
else how long should i wait for full rom

This thread by @Funk Wizard has the full zips that you might need.
https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/cheeseburger-oxygenos-4-5-2-ota-for-oneplus-5.555148/

dansou901

Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2012
Aachen
OnePlus Nord
Thanks @Hetalk, but please don't quote the OP! I'll add the supporters list later this week, once I get my OP5 and got a little bit of experience with it (it's out for delivery today, hopefully a neighbor will get it, then I have it by tonight).

Baldesarra

Sep 26, 2016
Question to those people who have 6GB Slate Gray variant.

When you look at your back, do you see a gray color or more like a purple touch?
Don't know whether I'm blind or not haha

Archer

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Jul 9, 2008
Manchester
Question to those people who have 6GB Slate Gray variant.

When you look at your back, do you see a gray color or more like a purple touch?
Don't know whether I'm blind or not haha

It does look like it has a slight purple tint to it, when light reflects of it. I hadn't noticed till you asked.

Odd but quite nice :)

Reactions: Baldesarra

Han-Droid

Jun 23, 2010
OnePlus 7T
Some questions:

Coming from opt 2.

1. Otg is not available although activated?! What can I do?

2. Had supersu and xposed. What do you recommend: keep it that way or jump to magisk? Using greenify and WhatsApp extended. Would like to use it on op5 again.

3. Keep encryption or deactivate it?

TIA!

Last edited:

Hetalk

Sep 30, 2011
Ahmedabad
Some questions:

Coming from opt 2.

1. Otg is not available although activated?! What can I do?

2. Had supersu and xposed. What do you recommend: keep it that way or jump to magisk? Using greenify and WhatsApp extended. Would like to use it on op5 again.

3. Keep encryption or deactivate it?

TIA!

2) I dont think there's a real working xposed for Nougat. You can use supersu or magisk. I use magisk, though.
3) I keep encryption ON. It's again a matter of preference. What do you think is the advantage of turning encryption off?

Reactions: Han-Droid

dansou901

Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2012
Aachen
OnePlus Nord
2) I dont think there's a real working xposed for Nougat. You can use supersu or magisk. I use magisk, though.
3) I keep encryption ON. It's again a matter of preference. What do you think is the advantage of turning encryption off?
Turning encryption off allows you to use multirom once someone ports it to this phone. As of now, there is no easy way to decrypt.

Mania626

Jul 28, 2016
I have installed the blackberry keyboard and have as the default one , but now I have this keyboard icon on the top left of the screen , anybody knows how to get rid of that?

Trandaa

Jul 1, 2014
I have installed the blackberry keyboard and have as the default one , but now I have this keyboard icon on the top left of the screen , anybody knows how to get rid of that?
Hi
No you can't. It's just there. It's a keyboard switch. Unless you deactivate all other keyboards. And keep just the one you are currently using.
Cheers
Trandaa

Reactions: Mania626

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oneplus 5 Help Thread

Welcome to the Oneplus 5 help thread! You can ask all questions here without the need of background knowledge. This thread is dedicated to solve users problems, so if you don't want to start a new thread for your question, ask it here. Members ready to help will be monitoring this thread and provide answers as soon as possible. A list of supporters will be added here as soon as the thread is getting more answers.

For everyone having trouble with rooting send installing a recovery: Please read this first. Thanks to @Funk Wizard for the great guide!

To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @. Also, if you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. If you are not eligible of posting there, you may post here. Thank you!

Supporters:If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!

ROM developers: Please read this. Consider if you want to have a ROM specific help thread or not, if not, most likely questions about your ROM will be asked here if the users aren't eligable for posting in development section.
    Hey.

Not new to xda. Been out of all the action for a couple of years and I'm returning with the one plus 5.

Does anyone know if I can unlock and root without screwing up Android pay? There's this Magisk thing I've read, but some tutorial on how to load it up on the one plus 5 would be nice.
    Yes, super easy. Look in the Dev section for full install. Cliff notes:
    Unlock bootloader via fastboot (performs a full format)
    Install TWRP v58
    Install Magisk via TWRP (it's a zip)
    In Magisk there is an option that allows you to hide root from certain apps, Android pay is on by default.

When you update the OS, do a full install (refer to official threads here on XDA for full downloads)
    Go to TWRP
    Perform a full backup
    Wipe dalvik cache
    Install new OS (full install)
    Reinstall Magisk
    Wipe dalivk cache
    Reboot the phone
    You won't lose anything with this method

Is it possible to keep root after updating your OS? i just updated to oxygenOS 4.5.4 (flashed it through zip on OP forums) and I lost my root and TWRP recovery.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A5000 met Tapatalk

See above, just refash Magisk in TWRP and wipe dalvik cache.
    I'm not sure if @martinusbe got op5.

it's in the mail
    Hey, I have a question regarding rooting and OTAs! As far as I've understood, flashing a custom recovery and root after unlocking the bootloader breaks the OTAs and makes it a hassle to update your phone unless you're running a custom ROM, which im not planning to do just yet. My question is: is there a way to unlock the bootloader and root the device WITHOUT flashing a custom recovery, which (hopefully) wouldn't break OTA updates?
    I don't have a custom ROM
    I'm on 4.5.4
    I have TWRP installed and am rooted via Magisk
    With an Ota, OOS detects root and does a full download. To install it, you boot into recovery (TWRP) wipe dalvik cache, install full Ota (about 1.5gb), reflash Magisk whole in TWRP
    Wipe dalvik cache once more and reboot. No issues here.
    And that would be?
    default_password
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone