[Q&A][Oneplus 5]Help thread, newbies post here first

Search This thread

TheDarkDefender

Aug 5, 2012
Reston, VA
Hey.

Not new to xda. Been out of all the action for a couple of years and I'm returning with the one plus 5.

Does anyone know if I can unlock and root without screwing up Android pay? There's this Magisk thing I've read, but some tutorial on how to load it up on the one plus 5 would be nice.

Reactions: Vangelis13

Valcorb

Mar 30, 2011
Is it possible to keep root after updating your OS? i just updated to oxygenOS 4.5.4 (flashed it through zip on OP forums) and I lost my root and TWRP recovery.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A5000 met Tapatalk

Binary Assault

May 25, 2016
Hey.

Not new to xda. Been out of all the action for a couple of years and I'm returning with the one plus 5.

Does anyone know if I can unlock and root without screwing up Android pay? There's this Magisk thing I've read, but some tutorial on how to load it up on the one plus 5 would be nice.
Yes, super easy. Look in the Dev section for full install. Cliff notes:
Unlock bootloader via fastboot (performs a full format)
Install TWRP v58
Install Magisk via TWRP (it's a zip)
In Magisk there is an option that allows you to hide root from certain apps, Android pay is on by default.

When you update the OS, do a full install (refer to official threads here on XDA for full downloads)
Go to TWRP
Perform a full backup
Wipe dalvik cache
Install new OS (full install)
Reinstall Magisk
Wipe dalivk cache
Reboot the phone
You won't lose anything with this method

Is it possible to keep root after updating your OS? i just updated to oxygenOS 4.5.4 (flashed it through zip on OP forums) and I lost my root and TWRP recovery.

See above, just refash Magisk in TWRP and wipe dalvik cache.

TheDarkDefender

Aug 5, 2012
Reston, VA
Install TWRP v58
In Magisk there is an option that allows you to hide root from certain apps, Android pay is on by default.

When you update the OS, do a full install (refer to official threads here on XDA for full downloads)
Go to TWRP
Perform a full backup
Wipe dalvik cache
Reinstall Magisk
Wipe dalivk cache
Reboot the phone

Thanks!

Followed that, but the SafetyNet scan failed (inside the Magisk app) with some CTS profile mismatch error.

Binary Assault

May 25, 2016
Thanks!

Followed that, but the SafetyNet scan failed (inside the Magisk app) with some CTS profile mismatch error.
A few possibilities
Is Magisk hide enabled? If not enable it and rerun the test.

Is SELinux set to enforcing? You can get SELinuxModeChanger (Google it, download from XDA). If it's permissive, change and reboot and run the test again. I just ran the test and it passed.

What version or Magisk are you using? I believe only the latest is supported.

Screenshot is from my phone, I'm on 4.5.4 with unlocked bootloader and root.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170628-212631.png
    Screenshot_20170628-212631.png
    135.5 KB · Views: 173
Reactions: TheDarkDefender

Hetalk

Sep 30, 2011
Ahmedabad
How do I change the partial drop-down short cuts?

What exactly is a "partial drop-down shortcut"? Can you post a screenshot for visual reference?:confused:

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

If you're rooted, you need to use the full update zip (1+gb).
Flash it using twrp. Dont reboot.
Flash the twrp image (img file) from twrp.
Reboot into recovery.
Flash magisk.
Reboot.
Done:good:

TheDarkDefender

Aug 5, 2012
Reston, VA
A few possibilities
Is Magisk hide enabled? If not enable it and rerun the test.

Is SELinux set to enforcing? You can get SELinuxModeChanger (Google it, download from XDA). If it's permissive, change and reboot and run the test again. I just ran the test and it passed.

What version or Magisk are you using? I believe only the latest is supported.

Screenshot is from my phone, I'm on 4.5.4 with unlocked bootloader and root.

So all I did was turn some Core only mode on in Magisk and it worked. Got the solution from reddit. I'm on the latest.
Not sure about selinux but this worked.

Reactions: Binary Assault

maddes1402

May 11, 2011
Hey everybody,
Is anyone able to use this phone with android auto? My car doesn't recognize the phone with the result that the app is just available on the phone but not streamed on my car display.
Thank you

Binary Assault

May 25, 2016
Can't access phone files from computer. When I plug it in it says it's a unrecognized device
You should install universal Google drivers.
Or when you plug in the OP5, select the driver install from the window that usually automatically pops up.
A few questions
Are you using the stock dash charge cable when connecting? It's not required, but you should try it if you're not
What OS and what version of OS is your computer (such as windows 10, or Ubuntu 14)
Is your phone set to file transfer? Default is charging.

So all I did was turn some Core only mode on in Magisk and it worked. Got the solution from reddit. I'm on the latest.
Not sure about selinux but this worked.
At least it works! Now go get a few add-ons (Google em)
Viper4A (included in the module download list)
My new personal favorite: add Google play services to optimize battery list (get it from XDA, or I can upload what I have)
Greenify
Unified hosts ad block (you'll need a terminal emulator from the play store to finalize setting this one up, but it's a really good ad blocker).
And If you like sticking it to the Man, get ad block for YouTube.

bozsikarmand

Jun 29, 2017
Hi!

Since it is in the title "newbies post here first" and because I am close to enter the club of 8GB owners I would like to ask is there any updated list of known hardware and/or software issues (if any) of OP5?
I have heard about 5GHz wifi connectivity and bluetooth issues some days ago but according to the news the developers got these corrected in the latest SW update.

Are there any more?

Thanks for your help,
Armand

Last edited:

TheDarkDefender

Aug 5, 2012
Reston, VA
You should install universal Google drivers.
Or when you plug in the OP5, select the driver install from the window that usually automatically pops up.
A few questions
Are you using the stock dash charge cable when connecting? It's not required, but you should try it if you're not
What OS and what version of OS is your computer (such as windows 10, or Ubuntu 14)
Is your phone set to file transfer? Default is charging.

At least it works! Now go get a few add-ons (Google em)
Viper4A (included in the module download list)
My new personal favorite: add Google play services to optimize battery list (get it from XDA, or I can upload what I have)
Greenify
Unified hosts ad block (you'll need a terminal emulator from the play store to finalize setting this one up, but it's a really good ad blocker).
And If you like sticking it to the Man, get ad block for YouTube.

Thanks a ton. Appreciate it.

dansou901

Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2012
Aachen
OnePlus Nord
Hi!

Since it is in the title "newbies post here first" and because I am close to enter the club of 8GB owners I would like to ask is there any updated list of known hardware and/or software issues (if any) of OP5?
I have heard about 5GHz wifi connectivity and bluetooth issues some days ago but according to the news the developers got these corrected in the latest SW update.

Are there any more?

Thanks for your help,
Armand
None that I currently know of. But you can always also check Oneplus forums, there are usually bug lists for every software version.

Reactions: bozsikarmand

Baldesarra

Sep 26, 2016
Hey guys,
is it possible to get rid of the "Close all Apps" button on the buttom of "Recents"? Or place it on the right or left side without changing ROM?

Everytime I want to go back to my app I click on that "Close all Apps" button... It's a really unfavorable position to have this button in the middle!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170629-194220_01.jpg
    Screenshot_20170629-194220_01.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 157

bozsikarmand

Jun 29, 2017
None that I currently know of. But you can always also check Oneplus forums, there are usually bug lists for every software version.

I just found the answer on the official forum.
https//forums.oneplus.net/threads/op5-known-issues-so-far.557626/ (I just can't post links as of yet in a clickable form. :/)
As I see the current state, I will wait at least 2 more weeks before I buy anything. :p

Armand

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oneplus 5 Help Thread

Welcome to the Oneplus 5 help thread! You can ask all questions here without the need of background knowledge. This thread is dedicated to solve users problems, so if you don't want to start a new thread for your question, ask it here. Members ready to help will be monitoring this thread and provide answers as soon as possible. A list of supporters will be added here as soon as the thread is getting more answers.

For everyone having trouble with rooting send installing a recovery: Please read this first. Thanks to @Funk Wizard for the great guide!

To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @. Also, if you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. If you are not eligible of posting there, you may post here. Thank you!

Supporters:If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!

ROM developers: Please read this. Consider if you want to have a ROM specific help thread or not, if not, most likely questions about your ROM will be asked here if the users aren't eligable for posting in development section.
    Hey.

Install TWRP v58

Go to TWRP
    Perform a full backup
    Wipe dalvik cache
    Reinstall Magisk
    Wipe dalivk cache
    Reboot the phone

I'm not sure if @martinusbe got op5.

it's in the mail
    Hey, I have a question regarding rooting and OTAs! As far as I've understood, flashing a custom recovery and root after unlocking the bootloader breaks the OTAs and makes it a hassle to update your phone unless you're running a custom ROM, which im not planning to do just yet. My question is: is there a way to unlock the bootloader and root the device WITHOUT flashing a custom recovery, which (hopefully) wouldn't break OTA updates?
    I don't have a custom ROM
    I'm on 4.5.4
    I have TWRP installed and am rooted via Magisk
    With an Ota, OOS detects root and does a full download. To install it, you boot into recovery (TWRP) wipe dalvik cache, install full Ota (about 1.5gb), reflash Magisk whole in TWRP
    Wipe dalvik cache once more and reboot. No issues here.
    And that would be?
    default_password
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone