[Q&A][Oneplus 5]Help thread, newbies post here first

Search This thread

strongst

Forum Moderator
Staff member
  • Ok thanks a lot.
    I thought that the failed upgrade through the Ota that I've been trying this years were due by the unlocked bootloader.
    The phone had Oxygen 8.1 installed and tried to install the package Oxygen 5.1.4 (1609Mb) but the installation was always failed after the boot but nevertheless it has been the best phone I ever had (it has been very stable and I have never need root, etc.)!!

Yesterday I tried to download the latest official version 9.0.11 (A5000_23_200224) from OnePlus website and all things were done...

Now I'm thinking whether is it convenient keep the unlocked bootloader or not when I decide to sell it.
    What do you think?
    Depending on your customer it needs to be locked or open. Don't know...

Gruber008

Jul 17, 2011
    Split
    Hi again,

Can someone tell me what's the fastest way to remove all the modifications and go back to stock?
    I mean, I want to remove Magisk, TWRP, lock the bootloader etc.

Thanks in advance!

lazostat

Jul 13, 2014
    I have a question about dirac on oneplus5. Does it activate only on headphones or not? And what about if you want to install other audio mods? Do they conflict? Do i have to debloat dirac first?

ber404

May 30, 2020
    DAC USB

Did anyone manage to get Soundblaster E5 work with the OP5 ? I mean, with USB-A - USB-C cable, and get the sound on E5 mini-jack ..

denisalvara

Mar 2, 2020
    One Plus 5 change partition system only A to A/B

Mod edit - Translated by https://www.deepl.com/translator:
    Would it be possible to change the device's A-only partition system to an A/B partition system ? What, if any, would be the appropriate commands and instructions to execute it ? Also ask if all One PLus 5 devices were installed with the A-only partition system, or are there any with the A/B ? partition system, which I understand, the latter is a system that facilitates system updates without interruption, without the risk of botloop.
    Sería posible cambiar el sistema de partición solo A del dispositivo a un sistema de partición A/B ?, de ser posible, cuáles serían los comandos e instrucciones adecuados para ejecutarlo? También preguntar si todos los dispositivos One PLus 5 fueron instalados con el sistema de partición solo A, o también los hay con el sistema de partición A/B ?, que entiendo, este último es un sistema que facilita las actualizaciones del sistema sin interrupciones, sin el riesgo de botloop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oswald Boelcke

Forum Moderator / Recognized Translator
    Staff member
  • Mod edit - Translated by https://www.deepl.com/translator:
    Would it be possible to change the device's A-only partition system to an A/B partition system ? What, if any, would be the appropriate commands and instructions to execute it ? Also ask if all One PLus 5 devices were installed with the A-only partition system, or are there any with the A/B ? partition system, which I understand, the latter is a system that facilitates system updates without interruption, without the risk of botloop.
    Sería posible cambiar el sistema de partición solo A del dispositivo a un sistema de partición A/B ?, de ser posible, cuáles serían los comandos e instrucciones adecuados para ejecutarlo? También preguntar si todos los dispositivos One PLus 5 fueron instalados con el sistema de partición solo A, o también los hay con el sistema de partición A/B ?, que entiendo, este último es un sistema que facilita las actualizaciones del sistema sin interrupciones, sin el riesgo de botloop.

@denisalvara XDA Forum Rules (excerpt):
    4. Use the English language.

We understand that with all the different nationalities, not everyone speaks English well, but please try. If you're really unable to post in English, use an online translator. You're free to include your original message in your own language, below the English translation. (This rule covers your posts, profile entries and signature). You could try :- https://translate.google.com/ or https://www.babelfish.com/ or use one of your choice.

Reactions: denisalvara
    Feb 4, 2012
    hi dears
    my phone have some problem after update to android 10 os! my rom is official and was 9, rooted and installed xXx nolimit magisk. after update by twrp to android 10 my phone loading on first screen logo and my screen black! after this happen i reflashed to android 9 os and now my phone loaded to last screen and on first lock screen open an window that power off phone & come back to recovery mode!!! i install magisk 20.4 and xXx nolimit 11.7 but dont resolve my problem!!!

AshenFire579

Oct 8, 2020
    OnePlus 5
    Passing SafetyNet with EdXposed installed without GApps present

If i was the flash a Custom ROM such as LineageOS but skip flashing GApps to get rid of Google on a phone would then installing EdXposed using Magisk pass Magisk's safety net?

vdbhb59

• Feb 15, 2016
    OnePlus 5
    Samsung Galaxy M30
    If i was the flash a Custom ROM such as LineageOS but skip flashing GApps to get rid of Google on a phone would then installing EdXposed using Magisk pass Magisk's safety net?
    Safety Net is just a stupid hype. Does not matter if your Safety Net passes or not. What matters is, will your app work? If it works with either Magisk hide option or by renaming Magisk, then that suffices.
    Ohh, and also Google stuff does not decide your safety net or apps working (unless dependency is there).

Mr.Conkel

Oct 10, 2020
    London
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    Hello Q&A thread. I'm seeking help before I buy this device. My question is about the Model. I know for various devices in the US it can vary which models are able to be bootloader unlocked. So does it matter which model I buy? Device specifications below. Thanks for any advice or replies. Cheers :)

Device Model: 128gb/8gb ram (A5000)

krazed0451

Feb 25, 2021
    Hi all,

I've recently bought an OP5 and on receiving it I upgraded to OOS 10.0.1 / A10. When making calls if I switch to loudspeaker I lose the microphone, the app has permissions and I have factory reset to no avail. Can anyone point me to a solution or even suggest a custom ROM that will work?

I'm also looking to buy an OP6T for my girlfriend and wanted to check if anyone has reported the same issue with this phone?

I've been scratching my head trying to resolve this issue for a few days to no avail, information on the issue seems sparse at best. There are occasional threads on the net where OP seem to acknowledge the issue exists but no fixes.

TIA!

ScRuFFy7

Sep 17, 2016
    Surrey
    Hello Q&A thread. I'm seeking help before I buy this device. My question is about the Model. I know for various devices in the US it can vary which models are able to be bootloader unlocked. So does it matter which model I buy? Device specifications below. Thanks for any advice or replies. Cheers :)

Device Model: 128gb/8gb ram (A5000)
    All OnePlus devices can easily have their bootloaders unlocked. Some devices have more community support than others.

For the OP5/T unlocking and rooting is about as easy as it gets.

I have also found this phone to be very user serviceable provided you have the tools, know-how, and are willing to accept the risks that go along with it.

Cheers!🍻

Reactions: Mr.Conkel

bradley.buck1984

Mar 1, 2021
    I have a OnePlus 5 which I just attempted to upgrade from 10 to 10.0.1. When I tried to reboot into twrp I found it got stuck at the splash screen, which I found via google was due to my device being encrypted. Since I couldn't decrypt the device by twrp I tried to do it via fastboot format userdata, which allowed me to flash the latest update and boot my phone, but it seems I don't have access to the filesystem. I can't download anything (it just says waiting for network) and I can't update apps via play because it says the storage is full. When I attempt to view the file system by the file manager it simply says that it cannot load the content. I can see the file structure of the data partition in twrp, but I don't seem to have any access when the phone is booted. Does anyone know what's causing this? I'm assuming I made some kind of mistake when I formatted the data partition, but I'm not sure. Thanks.

bradley.buck1984

Mar 1, 2021
    I have a OnePlus 5 which I just attempted to upgrade from 10 to 10.0.1. When I tried to reboot into twrp I found it got stuck at the splash screen, which I found via google was due to my device being encrypted. Since I couldn't decrypt the device by twrp I tried to do it via fastboot format userdata, which allowed me to flash the latest update and boot my phone, but it seems I don't have access to the filesystem. I can't download anything (it just says waiting for network) and I can't update apps via play because it says the storage is full. When I attempt to view the file system by the file manager it simply says that it cannot load the content. I can see the file structure of the data partition in twrp, but I don't seem to have any access when the phone is booted. Does anyone know what's causing this? I'm assuming I made some kind of mistake when I formatted the data partition, but I'm not sure. Thanks.

I should mention that the device indicates that there's plenty of storage when I look at it in settings.

bradley.buck1984

Mar 1, 2021
    The problem seems to have been resolved by downgrading. I'm attempting to do an ota update to 10.0.1 and will then reflash twrp and reroot.

Sukmadeek

Feb 23, 2021
    Hi, I recently soft bricked my oneplus 5. Had to use the unbrick tool to recover my phone. Sadly it has now been downgraded to android 7. Can someone please teach me how to upgrade it back to android 10?

I tried dirty flash the official OTA via TWRP but encounter error 7. Tried manual update via setting also failed.

Sukmadeek

Feb 23, 2021
    Hi, I recently soft bricked my oneplus 5. Had to use the unbrick tool to recover my phone. Sadly it has now been downgraded to android 7. Can someone please teach me how to upgrade it back to android 10?

I tried dirty flash the official OTA via TWRP but encounter error 7. Tried manual update via setting also failed.
    Fixed it by unroot and oxygen updater. Thanks.

kn8rf

Apr 13, 2021
    Munich, Germany
    Hi, I have the following setup: twrp-3.4.0-10-cheeseburger-dumpling-mauronofrio.img + lineage-18.1-20210412-nightly-cheeseburger-signed.zip + MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm64-20210328_143848.zip. A lot things work fine, but there seems to be an issue with the contact database. I cannot use the contact app (it's just empty after a while) and phone and sms app just crashes. I've also tried the Google alternatives out of the play store, same behaviour. I tried to delete the data of all these apps, nothing helped. Syncing contacts via Exchange never succeeds. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, knarf. ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Oneplus 5 Help Thread

Welcome to the Oneplus 5 help thread! You can ask all questions here without the need of background knowledge. This thread is dedicated to solve users problems, so if you don't want to start a new thread for your question, ask it here. Members ready to help will be monitoring this thread and provide answers as soon as possible. A list of supporters will be added here as soon as the thread is getting more answers.

For everyone having trouble with rooting send installing a recovery: Please read this first. Thanks to @Funk Wizard for the great guide!

To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @. Also, if you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. If you are not eligible of posting there, you may post here. Thank you!

Supporters:If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!

ROM developers: Please read this. Consider if you want to have a ROM specific help thread or not, if not, most likely questions about your ROM will be asked here if the users aren't eligable for posting in development section.
      Hey.

Not new to xda. Been out of all the action for a couple of years and I'm returning with the one plus 5.

Does anyone know if I can unlock and root without screwing up Android pay? There's this Magisk thing I've read, but some tutorial on how to load it up on the one plus 5 would be nice.
      Yes, super easy. Look in the Dev section for full install. Cliff notes:
      Unlock bootloader via fastboot (performs a full format)
      Install TWRP v58
      Install Magisk via TWRP (it's a zip)
      In Magisk there is an option that allows you to hide root from certain apps, Android pay is on by default.

When you update the OS, do a full install (refer to official threads here on XDA for full downloads)
      Go to TWRP
      Perform a full backup
      Wipe dalvik cache
      Install new OS (full install)
      Reinstall Magisk
      Wipe dalivk cache
      Reboot the phone
      You won't lose anything with this method

Is it possible to keep root after updating your OS? i just updated to oxygenOS 4.5.4 (flashed it through zip on OP forums) and I lost my root and TWRP recovery.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A5000 met Tapatalk

See above, just refash Magisk in TWRP and wipe dalvik cache.
      I'm not sure if @martinusbe got op5.

it's in the mail
      Hey, I have a question regarding rooting and OTAs! As far as I've understood, flashing a custom recovery and root after unlocking the bootloader breaks the OTAs and makes it a hassle to update your phone unless you're running a custom ROM, which im not planning to do just yet. My question is: is there a way to unlock the bootloader and root the device WITHOUT flashing a custom recovery, which (hopefully) wouldn't break OTA updates?
      I don't have a custom ROM
      I'm on 4.5.4
      I have TWRP installed and am rooted via Magisk
      With an Ota, OOS detects root and does a full download. To install it, you boot into recovery (TWRP) wipe dalvik cache, install full Ota (about 1.5gb), reflash Magisk whole in TWRP
      Wipe dalvik cache once more and reboot. No issues here.
      And that would be?
      default_password
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone