[Q&A] [ROM][AOSP] Google Edition S4/ Pure Nexus Edition[SAFESTRAP] Oct 4th.14

Search This thread

GStrobe31

Dec 4, 2012
So I came back to the pure nexus rom for it's simplicity. Its great so far but the one issue I keep having is that I can only have wifi on the NC1 modem. When I flash the NJ4 modem, which gives me better signal, the wifi just won't work. The order I usually do is: wipe everything except sd card, then flash: rom, super user, modem and modules, then let it boot up followed by a hotboot. I have done this several times and nothing. I did a hotboot every single time I reflashed the modem or module, still nothing. I have even tried flashing NC1 modem and modules first and then follow with nj4, still nothing. Do you guys have any ideas on how to resolve this? I would really like the improved signal. Other than that great ROM so far.

sackstrap

Mar 27, 2015
I had the same problem, but I was running the rom using Safestrap 3.75 on slot 1 on an SGH-337. I deleted the slot and then reactivated it, installed the rom, installed the modules, installed supersu. Then I booted into the rom and the wifi didn't work. Let things settle a bit then booted back to Safestrap and did a factory reset. When I booted up, the wifi worked.

Boxfriend

Dec 12, 2014
I asked a while back, but haven't gotten a response, nor have I found a solution through Google, but I can't seem to be able to use Odin to flash back to stock. Odin doesn't seem to recognize my device. I am using the 1337 on NC1, is there a way to flash a stock rom without using Odin or is there a fix for using Odin that I just haven't found?

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
I asked a while back, but haven't gotten a response, nor have I found a solution through Google, but I can't seem to be able to use Odin to flash back to stock. Odin doesn't seem to recognize my device. I am using the 1337 on NC1, is there a way to flash a stock rom without using Odin or is there a fix for using Odin that I just haven't found?

The most common reason for this is a faulty connection between the computer and the phone. In this case, the solution is to use a different USB port on the computer, or a different USB cable, or even try a different computer.

Another possible reason is that you don't have the proper USB driver installed. If you are using a Windows computer, you should have the following entry in your Uninstall or change a program dialog box (Windows 7): SAMSUNG USB Driver for Mobile Phones.

That should cover 99% of the issues. Sometimes it is necessary to uninstall the driver, reboot windows, and reinstall the driver.

Boxfriend

Dec 12, 2014
The most common reason for this is a faulty connection between the computer and the phone. In this case, the solution is to use a different USB port on the computer, or a different USB cable, or even try a different computer.

Another possible reason is that you don't have the proper USB driver installed. If you are using a Windows computer, you should have the following entry in your Uninstall or change a program dialog box (Windows 7): SAMSUNG USB Driver for Mobile Phones.

That should cover 99% of the issues. Sometimes it is necessary to uninstall the driver, reboot windows, and reinstall the driver.

I forgot to mention, I've tried installing the drivers, it hasn't changed anything. I've also been able to use the device for USB debugging in Eclipse, but I can't get Odin to see it.

EDIT: it's no longer of any importance, I used FlashFire to flash stock 5.0.1 and everything is working as intended again.

Last edited:

misc6207

Sep 28, 2014
Help!! I have been running Pure Nexus on my S4 for a while now with minimal problems, but last night I decided I'd try the latest Hyperdrive ROM, only to remember how much I hate Touchwiz. When I went back to Safestrap to re flash Pure Nexus, it won't load. It finishes flashing quickly, then goes in a bootloop. I did full wipe and a fresh download of the ROM, still stuck in a bootloop. I want to get rid of TW again! !

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app

Joe-Tech

Help!! I have been running Pure Nexus on my S4 for a while now with minimal problems, but last night I decided I'd try the latest Hyperdrive ROM, only to remember how much I hate Touchwiz. When I went back to Safestrap to re flash Pure Nexus, it won't load. It finishes flashing quickly, then goes in a bootloop. I did full wipe and a fresh download of the ROM, still stuck in a bootloop. I want to get rid of TW again! !

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app

Since you was on hyperdrive, i don't know which kernel or baseband you was using. My best guess is to Odin back to stock, then reflash the PN again and see how it goes.

Reactions: misc6207

misc6207

Sep 28, 2014
Yeah, I was hoping not to go to that extreme, but I did a full wipe in Odin and got it. Kind of nice to get a fresh start again. Love your ROMs! Quick question - what exactly is the difference between the GPE and Nexus? I've flashed birth and they seem the same.

Edit: Posted this wrong, tried to reply to someone.
Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Yeah, I was hoping not to go to that extreme, but I did a full wipe in Odin and got it. Kind of nice to get a fresh start again. Love your ROMs! Quick question - what exactly is the difference between the GPE and Nexus? I've flashed both and they seem the same.

Last edited:

Corbin270

Feb 10, 2014
Could I get the lollipop update Joe-Tech? I would like to test for you!

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Can I get the lollipop update Joe-Tech? I would like to test and try to help you get it up and running!

nickhaven

Jun 1, 2009
Cincinnati
Could I get the lollipop update Joe-Tech? I would like to test for you!

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Can I get the lollipop update Joe-Tech? I would like to test and try to help you get it up and running!
I got it on his Google+ page. Make sure your know how to rescue your phone from a bad flash and have the files to do so before beginning.

gahndii

Mar 8, 2015
This post is for those of you that use Tasker. I just wanted to offer my profile that is set up for this ROM.
This is especially helpful if you are brand new to Tasker and just want your hotspot to work on this amazing ROM.

What this profile does...

1. Reboot. -Disables WiFi then restarts phone. Preventing broken WiFi upon restart.

2. Power off. -Does the same as reboot except it is power off.

3. Hotspot on. -Disables WiFi, enables hotspot.

4. Disable hotspot. -Disables hotspot, re enables WiFi.

5. Auto bright. -Just a toggle I made for myself. Toggles auto bright. I personally toggle this before gaming.

Here are the terminal commands that I used to automate the tethering.

Credit goes to cogie
http://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...edition-s4-t2837239/post58922466#post58922466

I've been following the AT&T S4 development here for over a year and just want to try to make a newcomers experience less time consuming than my own!

Here it is:

https://drive.google.com/folder/d/0B-QoxTFTUP7tLXJmMzRTb0ViY2s/edit

1. You need to have these apps installed AND granted root access:

Terminal Emulator
Secure Settings
BusyBox
Xposed Framework
Tasker

2. Place the backup.XML file in:
/storage/sdcard0/Tasker/configs/user

3. Use the "restore from backup" option in Tasker.
(When you first open Tasker tap the 3 dot menu in the upper right portion of the screen.
Select data, restore, from local user backup)

This should go without saying but if you already have your own Tasker profile, using this will REPLACE it.

Last edited:

RawSynergy

May 10, 2015
Miami
Plain Laggy Overall

So I'm really thankful that you posted this GPE ROM for the S4 however, this said that it was for 4.4.4 and I had 4.4.2. Nonetheless, I flashed it anyways and it was a success, almost..... The main problem I have with this is that it's just plain laggy overall like the title said. The launcher slows down tremendously and I tried other launchers like Nova but it suffered the same problem. I really wanted to like this ROM but I want to know why it is sooooo slow. Could it be that I'm on 4.4.2? I was on another thread and it listed this one as compatible with 4.4.2 and 4.4.4. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Sterben Pistole

Sep 28, 2014
Jefferson
So I'm really thankful that you posted this GPE ROM for the S4 however, this said that it was for 4.4.4 and I had 4.4.2. Nonetheless, I flashed it anyways and it was a success, almost..... The main problem I have with this is that it's just plain laggy overall like the title said. The launcher slows down tremendously and I tried other launchers like Nova but it suffered the same problem. I really wanted to like this ROM but I want to know why it is sooooo slow. Could it be that I'm on 4.4.2? I was on another thread and it listed this one as compatible with 4.4.2 and 4.4.4. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
You can only run this rom on 4.4.2, NB1/NC1 mainly, if you're on 4.4.4, NJ4 and some others, you'll have some problems that'll require a rework of the rom. Make sure you do a clean flash. If you dirty flashed that explains why you are having lag issues. I don't lag at all on this rom. It's smooth asf, lol.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @domaug, you probably need to flash the verizon apns-conf.xml.
    I see a lot of folks seeking help for issues they're having with these two ROMs. I am currently running the latest Super Nexus in the stock slot and the latest GPE in slot 1 with no problems with either. Also, I have Gravity Box 3.5.4 running in both. I'm not aware of any newer versions because 3.5.4 is the most current that appears in Xposed no matter the settings. I have not experienced a single "ghost vibration" or crash whatsoever and I've been running them for a while.

Anyways, figured I would post some of my settings and maybe, just maybe they could help.

- AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 i337
    - stock kernel (locked bootloader)
    - NB1 baseband
    - Safestrap 3.75 a03
    - APN settings:
    - APN type:
    default,fota,mas,supl,hipri,mms
    - Others normal
    - ViPER4Android 2.3.4.0
    - Power Amp
    - Nova Launcher Prime
    - Xposed 2.6.1
    - Gravity Box 3.5.4
    - no other Xposed modules

That's the main stuff I've noticed the most questions are with regards to. I do have other apps installed but I try not to get too carried away with lots of what I call useless apps, like Facebook, games, etc. Too much clutter defeats the purpose of simplistic ROMs like these in my opinion.

Every time I flash a new ROM, first, I backup everything with Titanium Backup. Then, using Safestrap, just as instructed in the OP of the ROM thread, wipe all but extSD card twice. Then flash baseband modules and SuperSU. I've always stayed on NB1 because it seems to me that with most complaints, basebands other than NB1 or NC1 are involved. Once the ROM is up and running, I ALWAYS install apps directly from the app store, unless of course they aren't in the app store. Once apps are installed, and without running any of them, I open Titanium Backup and configure it to look at my backups located on my SD card. Then I use Titanium Backup to restore ONLY the data, not the apps themselves, for the apps I just installed from the app store. If you restore apps that were backed up from a different version ROM than the one you just flashed, common sense should tell you that you may have problems. If there's any indication that an app isn't compatible with the ROM after restoring the apps data, I'll uninstall the app, install it again, and then configure the app by hand instead of restoring the apps data from a backup that, as I would have just found out, doesn't work. Flashing ROMs this way has not failed me for the entire two years I've had this phone (knock on wood).

This post turned out to be a lot longer than I had hoped.
    First off, I want to thank Joe for all his hard work! Ever since I upgraded from the S3 to the S4 I have been missing CM for their lack of bloatware more than anything else. Found this just over a week ago, installed it and haven't looked back at TouchWiz ever since!!! Everything works great but I have a small issue I am hoping someone can help me with, I have tried using GravityBox and a separate Xposed module to have a different picture on the lock screen but all I ever get is a black background. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. Thanks again Joe for all your hard work and I am sad to hear you will be moving on. Was hoping to see some of that Lollipop goodness but I understand that hobbies can only take so much of your time. Good luck with your S5 work!

Which rom are you using right now? I heard there's an issue with GB while on the gpe version. You might have to do a nandroid backup and try out pure nexus as others users reported GB working with no issue for them. And sometimes after applied a tweak, you must restart your phone to take affect.
    I have the new NJ4 base and I'm noticing Chrome and Chrome Beta force closing at launch. I'm not sure what the issue is, however I haven't noticed any other issues besides the ones everyone knows about, Tethering/USB connection, etc.

Hey mate install selinux mode changer from HERE, and set to permissive and you should be good.
    Hi Joe-Tech,

First of all, thank you for your hard work! We can get Lollipop experience now!
    I would like to tell you 2 theme problems:
    1. The icon of alarm in themed clock is smaller than other icons.
    2. In recent apps, the icon of themed contact is smaller than other icons.

Is it just me?
    It would become perfect themed if those two fixed!
    Thank you again for the wonderful build!

Here are the screenshots:
    View attachment 3153322
    View attachment 3153323

Best,
    hansardd

Thank you mate for pointed that out, I will definitely fix those 2 icons on the next update:)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone