[Q] A way to activate stock USB & Wifi tethering?

Search This thread

jmz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 17, 2008
Lawton, OK
www.jmzsoft.com
Google Pixel 4a 5G
So I'm unlocked and using pretty much everything but AT&T. Is there a way to allow stock tethering functionality on our device?

I already tried getting rid of TetheringGuard.apk/odex and ATT_Hotspot.apk/odex, borrowing hacked telephony.db from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1677261, and editing build.prop with this:
ro.wifi.hotspotUI=1
ro.usb.tetheringUI=1
ro.tether.denied=false

No go.

I was able to do it through settings without any mods.

PdtS

Oct 30, 2009
Moscow
pdts.net
This is what I'm getting every time. Notice how this message is in Sense framework for some reason.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371309854463.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371309854463.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 226

1chris89

Any updates? I'm on the road can't download it ruu rooted stock roms running mms sense...

Tried deleting tetheringguard.apk no go. Will delete wifirouter.apk and try...

amphi66

Dec 17, 2010
PacNW
After being back on stock ROM I must have been mistaken on my earlier comment. I will look into it once I can some free time

Thank you, JMZ. A particularly (ocassionally) useful feature, especially when using a Straight Talk AT&T SIM. (Only 4 hours till my phone arrives!!) --Larry

sayampu

Jul 10, 2013
Hello JMZ, I'm having same problem. I can't start my wifi hotspot. I don't know how to root my device. This is my first android device. Is it necessary to root my device to use my wifi hotspot. How do i check my ROM type (You guys mentiones STOCK and SENCE ROMS here).

Please help me on this.

Thanks in advance.

amphi66

Dec 17, 2010
PacNW
Solved

After being back on stock ROM I must have been mistaken on my earlier comment. I will look into it once I can some free time

Thanks to diekastro's post #8 at the XDA HTC One X Forum, I found this allowed me to activate a wireless hotspot and eliminated the AT&T check, using SQLite editor.
-- albeit not for the faint of heart:

Make a backup of telephony.db (in case this doesn't work for you)

Your internet APN should be configured (Settings - Mobile data - Access Point names)

1)Open Telephony.db (flange files: data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases)
2)Select 'carriers'
3)Search second row, then select Edit field
4)Change ID field with a number non used in this db (ex: in my case the last row is "37" so I used "38") - Save
5)Repeat the 3 and 4 steps, but using row 12.
6)Search the last line (or line with your carrier internet APN)
7)Select the row and Edit Field.
8)Change the ID field to "2". - Save
9)Chose the second row, then Clone Record and change ID field to '12' - Save

Now just need to make changes on the newly created lines:
Row number 2 -> Edit field
1)Change name to ATT Phone
2)Change Type to "default"
2)Insert_by field to "internal".
3)State to "readonly"

Row number 12 -> Edit field
1)Change name to Entiltlement
2)Change Type to "entitle"
3)State to "hidden"

My phone: HTC First, rooted and s-off. Stock rom w/ JMZ Kernel. Straight Talk SIM (AT&T network)
--Good luck

jmz

Sep 17, 2008
Lawton, OK
www.jmzsoft.com
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Thanks to diekastro's post #8 at the XDA HTC One X Forum, I found this allowed me to activate a wireless hotspot and eliminated the AT&T check, using SQLite editor.

Your internet APN should be configured (Settings - Mobile data - Access Point names)

1)Open Telephony.db (flange files: data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases)
2)Select 'carriers'
4)Change ID field with a number non used in this db (ex: in my case the last row is "37" so I used "38") - Save

3)State to "readonly"

3)State to "hidden"

My phone: HTC First, rooted and s-off. Stock rom w/ JMZ Kernel. Straight Talk SIM (AT&T network)
--Good luck

do you mind pulling that file and uploading here?

jmz

Sep 17, 2008
Lawton, OK
www.jmzsoft.com
Google Pixel 4a 5G
My file is specific to a ST SIM (mvno). Could that cause confusion?

BTW, your work has been invaluable -- Thank you!

Yeah maybe. Can you clarify which one is suppose to be copied to slot 2? Cause the way I read it I just copy 38(which was in slot 2) back to slot 2 and the clone that one to 12. Maybe it has just been a long day....

Sent from my manta using Tapatalk 2

amphi66

Dec 17, 2010
PacNW
Yeah maybe. Can you clarify which one is suppose to be copied to slot 2? Cause the way I read it I just copy 38(which was in slot 2) back to slot 2 and the clone that one to 12. Maybe it has just been a long day....

That could be confusing & it is now easy to forget what I did, but it probably should read: 'search the "original" last line (or line with your internet carrier APN)' -- in my example it was line 37 renumbered to 2.
Basically the script just resets the database and subsitutes our actual APN & settings for the default AT&T values, so there is no conflict.

amphi66

Dec 17, 2010
PacNW
That could be confusing & it is now easy to forget what I did, but it probably should read: 'search the "original" last line (or line with your internet carrier APN)' -- in my example it was line 37 renumbered to 2.
Basically the script just resets the database and subsitutes our actual APN & settings for the default AT&T values, so there is no conflict.

@jmz: I sent you a PM last night with my telephony.db (after mod). Hope that helped! --Larry

amphi66

Dec 17, 2010
PacNW
Yeah I got it. Thanks. Somehow I got mine working. I will make a flashable zip for everyone so they don't have to worry about doing all this. Thanks for finding the right solution
You would almost need some sort of "interactive" zip, as the line numbers and APN details will most likely be personalized per user. But that's why you are a great Dev and I just know enough to be dangerous! Thanks.

Reactions: NaterTots

jmz

Sep 17, 2008
Lawton, OK
www.jmzsoft.com
Google Pixel 4a 5G
You would almost need some sort of "interactive" zip, as the line numbers and APN details will most likely be personalized per user. But that's why you are a great Dev and I just know enough to be dangerous! Thanks.

Well as long as the user is ATT it will work. My databases.db. if they aren't they will have to do it manually. I can of course include your for users that are on ST(ATT). And as new users come in just add it in. That's what they did for the other att devices like one x and one x+

Reactions: borst and NaterTots

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Solved

2)Select 'carriers'

3)State to "readonly"

3)State to "hidden"

--Good luck

Well as long as the user is ATT it will work. My databases.db. if they aren't they will have to do it manually. I can of course include your for users that are on ST(ATT). And as new users come in just add it in. That's what they did for the other att devices like one x and one x+

Yeah I got it. Thanks. Somehow I got mine working. I will make a flashable zip for everyone so they don't have to worry about doing all this. Thanks for finding the right solution
    Hi JMZ,

Mine is not rooted but unlocked. I do not have much idea about rooting and all these things. Can i change the file 'Telephony.db' in my HTC First with out rooting my device. If so could you please tell me the simple way to make my wifi hotspot worked

Thanks,
    Sayampu

forums are open to everyone send a pm to jmz if u just want to interact with just him. Hope you find out what you need!

Sent from my HTC first using xda premium
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone