[Q] A way to activate stock USB & Wifi tethering?

Search This thread

sayampu

Jul 10, 2013
Please help me

Hi JMZ,

Mine is not rooted but unlocked. I do not have much idea about rooting and all these things. Can i change the file 'Telephony.db' in my HTC First with out rooting my device. If so could you please tell me the simple way to make my wifi hotspot worked

Thanks,
Sayampu

kornklown69

Jan 21, 2011
Springfield, Missouri
Hi JMZ,

Mine is not rooted but unlocked. I do not have much idea about rooting and all these things. Can i change the file 'Telephony.db' in my HTC First with out rooting my device. If so could you please tell me the simple way to make my wifi hotspot worked

Thanks,
Sayampu

forums are open to everyone send a pm to jmz if u just want to interact with just him. Hope you find out what you need!

Sent from my HTC first using xda premium

Reactions: PdtS

amphi66

Dec 17, 2010
PacNW
If you can post a flashable db for the ST settings, I would greatly appreciate it!

I can give you the ST 'Carriers' file for the ST AT&T SIM (or you can follow the directions I put in post #12 in this thread) but you'll need to run Moonshine first to get s-off for changes to the /system/app folder. JMZ says he will build a flashable zip, but please realize he has a lot on his plate. Goodluck, --Larry

El-Gato

Nov 13, 2010
Paris
Hello,

As you can see I'm very new on XDA.
I bought this phone on ebay, I'm french, living in france, and you might guess how it's hard to me to complete all those tasks...
I have the same problem, but my phone is rooted and the Odex Rom is on it (that took the whole afternoon...). My french plan allows me to use the wifi/usb shared connection, but still, this error appears !
By the way, I can't see the folder you named before "data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases". Do you get access to it from computer or from the phone using a browser app ?

Thanks for your help !

PS : of course, didn't apply the JMZ fix, because I'm not on ATT =o

Last edited:

amphi66

Dec 17, 2010
PacNW
Hey there,

Now I'm S-Off, but still no such directory visible =/
Plus, I finally flashed your Rom JMZ, but it still doesn't work !

You access /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases from your phone using root explorer or any file manager with root access. See my post #12 above on how to edit/rearrange the database files. Goodluck, --Larry

El-Gato

Nov 13, 2010
Paris
You access /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases from your phone using root explorer or any file manager with root access. See my post #12 above on how to edit/rearrange the database files. Goodluck, --Larry

Understood, but in /data, I have only /com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup folder, which is empty.

El-Gato

Nov 13, 2010
Paris
./data, not ./sdcard/data :)

Omg it works, thank you guys, it is such a relief !!

Thanks to diekastro's post #8 at the XDA HTC One X Forum, I found this allowed me to activate a wireless hotspot and eliminated the AT&T check, using SQLite editor.
-- albeit not for the faint of heart:

Make a backup of telephony.db (in case this doesn't work for you)

Your internet APN should be configured (Settings - Mobile data - Access Point names)

1)Open Telephony.db (flange files: data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases)
2)Select 'carriers'
3)Search second row, then select Edit field
4)Change ID field with a number non used in this db (ex: in my case the last row is "37" so I used "38") - Save
5)Repeat the 3 and 4 steps, but using row 12.
6)Search the last line (or line with your carrier internet APN)
7)Select the row and Edit Field.
8)Change the ID field to "2". - Save
9)Chose the second row, then Clone Record and change ID field to '12' - Save

Now just need to make changes on the newly created lines:
Row number 2 -> Edit field
1)Change name to ATT Phone
2)Change Type to "default"
2)Insert_by field to "internal".
3)State to "readonly"

Row number 12 -> Edit field
1)Change name to Entiltlement
2)Change Type to "entitle"
3)State to "hidden"

My phone: HTC First, rooted and s-off. Stock rom w/ JMZ Kernel. Straight Talk SIM (AT&T network)
--Good luck

Perfectly works with my french carrier.

cguZZman

Dec 15, 2006
Glad it worked for you! Please press the "Thanks" button.

Thanks amphi66, it works. (carrier Iusacell from Mexico)

I just want to say that there is no need to change the Name of the records, only the type, insert_by and state fields.

AND you MUST restart the phone after edit the db file.

thanks again.

joy1987

Jan 26, 2014
hello, i am facing the same problem.. i bought the mobile from ebay India, after i change the row 2 and row 12 as instructed i get error " There is a temporary network problem that prevents the enablement of the Mobile Hotspot function. Please retry later"... any suggestion to fix this wifi and usb tethering will be a graet help.
thanxs

dramon

Aug 14, 2011
hello, i am facing the same problem.. i bought the mobile from ebay India, after i change the row 2 and row 12 as instructed i get error " There is a temporary network problem that prevents the enablement of the Mobile Hotspot function. Please retry later"... any suggestion to fix this wifi and usb tethering will be a graet help.
thanxs

Same thing here, did all the steps, same error. From Pakistan.

Pranav4

Mar 9, 2014
Glad it worked for you! Please press the "Thanks" button.

thanxs

hengsheng120

Feb 3, 2012
thanxs

There is another easy way to describe this, you can add the hidden "Entitlement" APN of your mobile service provider (which matches your current apn), so the system can allow you to use the hotspot:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=52522258&postcount=13

"302720","302","720","ltemobile.apn" example data should be replaced with your mobile service APN's IDs and addresses

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Solved

After being back on stock ROM I must have been mistaken on my earlier comment. I will look into it once I can some free time

Thanks to diekastro's post #8 at the XDA HTC One X Forum, I found this allowed me to activate a wireless hotspot and eliminated the AT&T check, using SQLite editor.
    -- albeit not for the faint of heart:

Make a backup of telephony.db (in case this doesn't work for you)

Your internet APN should be configured (Settings - Mobile data - Access Point names)

1)Open Telephony.db (flange files: data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases)
    2)Select 'carriers'
    3)Search second row, then select Edit field
    4)Change ID field with a number non used in this db (ex: in my case the last row is "37" so I used "38") - Save
    5)Repeat the 3 and 4 steps, but using row 12.
    6)Search the last line (or line with your carrier internet APN)
    7)Select the row and Edit Field.
    8)Change the ID field to "2". - Save
    9)Chose the second row, then Clone Record and change ID field to '12' - Save

Now just need to make changes on the newly created lines:
    Row number 2 -> Edit field
    1)Change name to ATT Phone
    2)Change Type to "default"
    3)State to "readonly"

Row number 12 -> Edit field
    1)Change name to Entiltlement
    2)Change Type to "entitle"
    3)State to "hidden"

My phone: HTC First, rooted and s-off. Stock rom w/ JMZ Kernel. Straight Talk SIM (AT&T network)
    --Good luck
    You would almost need some sort of "interactive" zip, as the line numbers and APN details will most likely be personalized per user. But that's why you are a great Dev and I just know enough to be dangerous! Thanks.

Well as long as the user is ATT it will work. My databases.db. if they aren't they will have to do it manually. I can of course include your for users that are on ST(ATT). And as new users come in just add it in. That's what they did for the other att devices like one x and one x+

Sent from my manta using Tapatalk 2
    After being back on stock ROM I must have been mistaken on my earlier comment. I will look into it once I can some free time
    Yeah I got it. Thanks. Somehow I got mine working. I will make a flashable zip for everyone so they don't have to worry about doing all this. Thanks for finding the right solution
    You would almost need some sort of "interactive" zip, as the line numbers and APN details will most likely be personalized per user. But that's why you are a great Dev and I just know enough to be dangerous! Thanks.
    Hi JMZ,

Thanks,
    Sayampu

forums are open to everyone send a pm to jmz if u just want to interact with just him. Hope you find out what you need!

Sent from my HTC first using xda premium
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone