• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Q&A] XDABBEB's VS982.5

Search This thread

xdabbeb

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 10, 2010
Holy **** I thought you forgot about this

:) I just needed some free time to do it properly. Making an international gsm firmware work fully on Verizon is a pain in the you-know-what.

I also had the motivation of wanting to fully port the G3 camera driver which I never got around to with the initial G3 port I did with Cloudy and Tangjun. I'm happy to say it was worth it. Hope you enjoy it.

Lawlrus

Nov 20, 2013
:) I just needed some free time to do it properly. Making and international gsm firmware work fully on Verizon is a pain in the you-know-what.

I also had the motivation of wanting to fully port the G3 camera driver which I never got around to with the initial G3 port I did with Cloudy and Tangjun. I'm happy to say it was worth it. Hope you enjoy it.

I'm sure everyone will, awesome job getting CDMA support mashed into it. I can't imagine how difficult that could have been

doublej713

Jun 24, 2012
Coming from CloudyG3 with TWRP 2.7.0.0 can i just perform all the steps above or would it be better to restore to stock 26a first? Wipe system? Last time I went from CloudyG3 back to stock I lost knock on and had to restore it using your hiddenmenu apk. Any idea if I can expect something similar? Willing to be a bit of a guinea pig if you think I'll have a better than not chance for success.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

xdabbeb

Sep 10, 2010
Coming from CloudyG3 with TWRP 2.7.0.0 can i just perform all the steps above or would it be better to restore to stock 26a first? Wipe system? Last time I went from CloudyG3 back to stock I lost knock on and had to restore it using your hiddenmenu apk. Any idea if I can expect something similar? Willing to be a bit of a guinea pig if you think I'll have a better than not chance for success.

No need to...just follow the install directions above. The only reason you (or anyone) ever lost knock-on is because they had flashed a kernel (if it's included with the rom it's the same thing) that enabled knock code and consequently updated the touchscreen firmware. Knock code also has a framework component that LG/Verizon for whatever reason never included in their firmware...so when you came back to a vs980 stock rom you also lost knock-on due to the newer firmware not being compatible with that firmware. It's a simple as that. All that has EVER been needed to restore it is a simple 10 second procedure.

This firmware package DOES have framework support for knock-on, so I built my kernel to use it. If you switch back to a VS980 Stock rom after this, you'll need to do the touchfw update in one of the 4 different ways that have been detailed.

kmcrane

Sep 9, 2010
Battle Ground
www.audiosource.us
I flashed XDABBEB's VS98026A Boostack but my Twrp version in twrp says 2.8.0.1. Am I ok to proceed?

Edit: I serched for blastagator and found his thread for twrp. I updated to the newest that way.

I'm moving on...

Last edited:

xdabbeb

Sep 10, 2010
I flashed XDABBEB's VS98026A Boostack but my Twrp version in twrp says 2.8.0.1. Am I ok to proceed?

Edit: I serched for blastagator and found his thread for twrp. I updated to the newest that way.

I'm moving on...
The bootstack is the same one I had posted for my 26A rom. I didn't/don't want to confuse people with having more than one bootstack zip for now while everyone transitions from loki to bump. That said, if you had just continued on to install the rom you would've noticed that the firmware zip installs the new/bumped 2.8.1.2. Just follow the steps and you'll be fine.

@xdabbeb am I reading this correctly that it is bumped and not loki'd?
Correcto

z3pp3lin

doublej713

Jun 24, 2012
Another thing i notice is that the smart notice isn't working. Maybe that is why it was not preloaded on the screen.

If i want to restore my nandroid backup of CloudyG3 can i just flash cloudyfa's kk baseband then restore from twrp 2.8.1.2 or do I need to downgrade the recovery and/or bootloader?

sunkim50

Aug 4, 2010
Flashed this last night and nothing but praise for this ROM. Everything works great even Tap to Pay (Soft Card). This is the only G3 ROM where I have seen it work at all.

doublej713

Jun 24, 2012
Flashed this last night and nothing but praise for this ROM. Everything works great even Tap to Pay (Soft Card). This is the only G3 ROM where I have seen it work at all.

Did you need to install the RootCloak xposed module? I know that this ROM hides root, and I confirmed that in the settings, but when I start Soft Card it tells me it can't be run on a rooted device.

sunkim50

Aug 4, 2010
Did you need to install the RootCloak xposed module? I know that this ROM hides root, and I confirmed that in the settings, but when I start Soft Card it tells me it can't be run on a rooted device.
Yes, I installed xposed framework and rootcloak to get it to work. Also, if you are running ART you need to disable before trying to get xposed to work.

Nov 5, 2013
I'm so psyched this is finally coming out, I'd given up on ever seeing this ROM come out a few months ago and have been putting up with the roaming bug on CloudyG3 ever since. So glad I don't have to deal with that crap now. Thanks man.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Holy **** I thought you forgot about this

:) I just needed some free time to do it properly. Making an international gsm firmware work fully on Verizon is a pain in the you-know-what.

Ok so I've done some reading on loki, bump, etc and want to summarize/confirm my findings, which might also help others until xdabbeb posts his guide.

Loki:
    -Requires the 12b aboot/bootloader (24A+ are patched against it)
    -Requires a loki'd recovery/boot image
    -If you used Autorec to install TWRP, this is what it did (downgraded to 12b and flashed the patched recovery/images)

Bump:
    -Works on any aboot/bootloader (most ROMs will probably suggest the latest 26A)
    -Requires a bumped recovery
    -Requires the ROM to have a bumped boot.img
    -Following the install instructions and flashing this ROM does this for you

Once you've flashed this ROM:
    -To flash a non-bumped ROM, you must go back to the 12b bootloader/aboot and loki'd recovery. Flashing Xdabbeb's 26A bootstack zip will do this for you.
    -To go back to stock (KDZ/TOT) you need to restore download mode on your laf partition because it gets wiped for fastboot. Use the 26A Restore Download Mode zip to do this. If you've already gone back to 12b, you will need to use the 12b download mode zip in Xdabbeb's 2.3.0 thread.

Other Notes:
    -When restoring a backup in TWRP, you will also need to install the matching aboot/bootloader or it won't boot (ex: Loki backup = 12b bootloader)
    -You can install a bumped ROM from a Loki'd recovery but you also have to install a bumped recovery or you won't be able to get back into recovery

Please let me know if anything above is incorrect. Hope this helps.
    Will this rom be updated to 27a? I get that the 27a update was mainly bug fixes and bloat updates but the advanced calling thing is supposedly better in 27a

The Advanced calling included in this is already newer than what was included in the vs98026a base. I've had an update ready for this for a while. I still need to put a few finishing touches on it, but other things have been a higher priority. Be patient.
    Thanks. Definitely wasn't worried about anything sketchy, but was curious which XCam version it will install, since I wasn't sure if I should use the G2 or G3 version for the reason you just mentioned.
    Np. I was planning on putting the link in the OP here as well, but keep getting distracted by other things. I'm back to working on this fw now anyway. Not a fan of 39A.
    Out of curiosity what g3 firmware is this based off of? Also fantastic work! I just came from android L and I can't believe it but I think I like LG's skin better XD.
    It's a combination of four devices plus my own code, but a good deal of the drawable res is from the G3A to keep it all at xxhdpi and therefore not run on a wasteful G3 xxxhdpi base. A Frankenstein is what was needed to make it all work properly.