[Q] A500 refuses to go into download mode

Search This thread

johnciaccio

Aug 20, 2010
Ok I have been using the ics leak (version 19) trying to install custom recovery.

All the instructions for going into download mode says to insert paperclip into reset and while holding down reset press power button for exactly 3 seconds then after 1 second release reset button.

My problem is while reset button is pushed in the unit does not respond at all to the power button period. tried it for an hour. Reset button works. power button works. Power button with the reset button pushed in does not work at all.

Is it possible in the ics leak they have disabled the download mode??

johnciaccio

Aug 20, 2010
Just thought I would update with more information

adb reboot works

adb reboot recovery gives me blank screen. If I hold down power again it will eventually go into recovery mode and tell me recovery is broken (red triangle).

adb reboot download gives me a blank screen like the power is off.

I an thinking my power button may be bad as I have to hold it down for 10 seconds while it is off or in stand by to get it back on or off of stand-by mode.

Anways tried for an hour and a half. Hopefully someone has a clue on this...

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Ok I have been using the ics leak (version 19) trying to install custom recovery.

All the instructions for going into download mode says to insert paperclip into reset and while holding down reset press power button for exactly 3 seconds then after 1 second release reset button.

I'm confused:confused: not sure what you are trying to achieve here. Need more info.

1) which ics leak have you installed?
2) To install a custom recovery using Acer Recovery Installer from the market is easiest. it will backup and restore and allow u to flash roms, does not work for 3.2 tho
3) Download mode is used with the acer upgrade utility (EUU) to rollback to HC 3.2 from ICS or to go back to stock NOT to install a custom recovery.
4) The button press method to enter custom recovery is vol down/power.

So if you can post a bit more info i'm sure we'll get you to where you want to be:)

Is it possible in the ics leak they have disabled the download mode??
no, its not disabled

johnciaccio

Aug 20, 2010
I was using the guide here to install the unlocked bootloader then CWM. Sorry I was not more specific.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1516012

Sorry it worked finally it took 2 hours to get into the mode. It seems my power button does not work very well. I had it pressed in for almost 20 seconds for it to take. I noticed that the only way to know before plugging in the usb is to watch for the power button to light up white.

Maybe the guide should be updated to let you know the screen will be blank untill a later part of the process.

At least I was able to get the bootloader unlocked now and CWM recovery install. I may still have to send the unit in if the button stops working.