[Q] About flashing Siyah kernel

Search This thread

ctomgee

Dec 21, 2010
Did you ? Sorry CTM, didn't read the first page :-( Just saw the 'query' at the top of this page.

Like I said, no offense to you. More for the other dude who couldn't have been bothered to read all 2 pages of this thread (or the first 2 posts of either the Siyah 2.6.14 thread, or the Siyah 3.0.1 thread) before he tried using a 3.x version of Siyah on a Gingerbread build.

Reactions: MistahBungle

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you want to stay on gingerbread and use siyah, use siyah 2.6.14 or lower. If you want to go to ICS, use siyah 3.0 or higher. It's that simple. 2.6.x only works on gingerbread, and 3.x only works on ICS.
    So, for example I could go with Speedmod or CfRoot, flash some Ics rom(Miui for example) and then flash Siyah?

If its brand new and stock, first root (zergrush method), flash CF-Root using odin, get ClockWorkMod (using rom manager from market).

After that you can go ahead and flash any ICS rom but first backup everything.

So backup contacts (I just go to contacts and from menu use export to SD card), sms (using any sms backup app from market), all the apps you would like to save for later use with Titanium Backup (free addition is fine).

Also do a back for your stock rom in recovery (I suppose you can do that even before rooting - but I did it after I rooted and got CF-Root kernel).

Hope it helps.
    Thanks a lot! :)
    But doesnt Cf Root already come with CWM?
    And is this the right method?
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1321582

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA
    Easy way to root is with odin. Look here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1103399
    Siyah V3 doesn't work with Gingerbread roms. It's an ICS kernel. Try Siyah 2.6.14, that's the GB version (look for the thread in the dev section).
    That guy is great, but what's creating a confusion about Siyah is FAQ on his page:

Q: Does this kernel work on XXXXXX-ROM?
    A: If the ROM is based on Samsung Stock ICS Rom LPQ or newer, it should. Otherwise, search the thread... If you cannot find any reference to that ROM, try the kernel. You won't lose anything by trying this kernel. Worst case scenario is to reflash your previous kernel or ROM. You can backup your previous kernel with Hellcat's k-tool from the market.

So, I tried with 3.0 on my GB 2.3.4., and it didn't work, so I had to flash old kernel.
    The reason I want to use Siyah is dual-boot, which it should provide.
    Another problem is that ICS comes very slowly.

Hmmm. I think I answered this...

Siyah V3 doesn't work with Gingerbread roms. It's an ICS kernel. Try Siyah 2.6.14, that's the GB version (look for the thread in the dev section).

Deja vu! I said the same thing on page 1! (no offense, MB. Meant for the other dude)