[Q] ADB doesn't detect device while in bootloader

Search This thread

kalbany

Jun 23, 2013
I had my phone unlocked and working with a custom ROM in the past, but after some problems I gave up and just relocked it and went back to stock. Now I'm trying to unlock it again and I'm running into some problems. I'm unable to get the identifier token to use with htcdev because whenever I go into the bootloader my phone is not recognized by adb. fastboot oem get_identifier_token leaves me with a waiting for device message, and adb devices returns an empty list. If I turn the phone on normally the device shows up then. To the best of my knowledge, I have all the necessary drivers. I have tried multiple USB slots, multiple computers (including the one I originally did the unlock on, when it worked fine), and have searched all around the internet and various forums for an answer. I've tried manually updating the USB drivers through device manager, but that did nothing. I have HTC sync installed as well. When I plug the USB cable in I sometimes get a device cannot be identified/has malfunctioned message. Device manager also shows a yellow warning triangle on my phone when in the bootloader. I'm on windows 8 currently, but I've tried it on a windows 7 pc as well with the same results.

tldr: adb doesn't recognize my phone while in bootloader, so I can't unlock it.

Thanks in advance for any help, I've tried everything I can think of.

CharliesTheMan

It sounds like the waiting for device message with fastboot it because you're in bootloader (hboot) instead of fastboot maybe. You want to uninstall the HTC sync program, it's used because it installs the drivers then you get rid of the program itself or at least make sure it's not running at startup and when you connect the device. On Windows 8 did you disable the driver signature verification yet?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

kalbany

Jun 23, 2013
It sounds like the waiting for device message with fastboot it because you're in bootloader (hboot) instead of fastboot maybe. You want to uninstall the HTC sync program, it's used because it installs the drivers then you get rid of the program itself or at least make sure it's not running at startup and when you connect the device. On Windows 8 did you disable the driver signature verification yet?

Same result in fastboot, I'll try uninstalling HTC sync and disabling driver signature verification now and see how it goes

edit: same result, adb devices comes up empty when in fastboot after disabling driver signature verification and uninstalling HTC sync

Last edited:

CharliesTheMan

Use the snip tool in windows to grab a screenshot of the command window stretched out to show the history, that may point me in the right direction. Do a search for Windows 8 ADB and Fastboot driver installation (i prefer Google and prefix the search with "site: www.xda-developers.com" no quotes) and you should find a thread with the steps for installing the drivers properly after signature verification is disabled in Windows 8. I used it to remotely fix a user's computer with the same issue you're having but I'm mobile at the moment. I'll help you get it straightened out though that's kind of my specialty. I'm about to go get something to eat, I'm working on a migraine and when I get back I'll check back in. Feel free to PM me if you want while waiting on input from others also.

kalbany

Jun 23, 2013
Use the snip tool in windows to grab a screenshot of the command window stretched out to show the history, that may point me in the right direction. Do a search for Windows 8 ADB and Fastboot driver installation (i prefer Google and prefix the search with "site: www.xda-developers.com" no quotes) and you should find a thread with the steps for installing the drivers properly after signature verification is disabled in Windows 8. I used it to remotely fix a user's computer with the same issue you're having but I'm mobile at the moment. I'll help you get it straightened out though that's kind of my specialty. I'm about to go get something to eat, I'm working on a migraine and when I get back I'll check back in. Feel free to PM me if you want while waiting on input from others also.

Thank you for the help, I hope this is all you need from the command window. I'm trying the adb and fastboot driver installation thread that you suggested now, hopefully this will have it resolved by the time you get back.

edit: unfortunately that didn't work, it said that the driver is already up to date. The phone shows up as "My HTC" under android USB devices already, even when in the bootloader/fastboot, but it shows the device status as "This device cannot start. (Code 10) A request for the USB BOS descriptor failed."

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 6,617
Last edited:

CharliesTheMan

Adb devices worked, that's your serial number so it's definitely fixable. What does it tell you when you boot to hboot, select fastboot, and use the command "fastboot reboot"

Could you send me a screen shot of the folder contents for the mini-adb folder, just like you did the command window except inside the mini adb folder.

Last edited:

kalbany

Jun 23, 2013
Adb devices worked, that's your serial number so it's definitely fixable. What does it tell you when you boot to hboot, select fastboot, and use the command "fastboot reboot"

Could you send me a screen shot of the folder contents for the mini-adb folder, just like you did the command window except inside the mini adb folder.

I just have some extra things in the folder like some ROMs/recoveries but I don't think that would matter. I have adb.exe, fastboot.exe, and the two .dll's so I think I have everything I need.

And I tried fastboot reboot while in fastboot, I got waiting for device in command prompt. Also when I entered the command I got a "USB device not recognized" popup from the taskbar. Device manager shows the phone as My HTC with a yellow caution triangle on the icon and the device status "This device cannot start. (Code 10) A request for the USB BOS descriptor failed."

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 2,107

CharliesTheMan

That's usually the result of using a USB 3.0 port, do you have a different set of ports you can try? Like back of the computer instead of front, side of notebook to back of notebook etc. Most motherboards have a USB 2.0 hub and USB 3.0 hub but the manufacturers don't make it obvious which is which in most cases. Also make sure antivirus and such is turned off while you're testing. Its one of those things that's just a tad bit off such as the ports or a driver.

Let me know how the above turns out and tomorrow if you want I can hop on teamviewer and we can try uninstalling what's there, starting fresh with the Google sdk and go from there.

PS- Sorry I haven't had a more direct answer I know it can be frustrating with so much trial and error and it being almost working. But I promise I'll stick with it until we get something figured out, or you get mad and remotely smack me over the head with a keyboard.

Last edited:

kalbany

Jun 23, 2013
That's usually the result of using a USB 3.0 port, do you have a different set of ports you can try? Like back of the computer instead of front, side of notebook to back of notebook etc. Most motherboards have a USB 2.0 hub and USB 3.0 hub but the manufacturers don't make it obvious which is which in most cases. Also make sure antivirus and such is turned off while you're testing. Its one of those things that's just a tad bit off such as the ports or a driver.

Let me know how the above turns out and tomorrow if you want I can hop on teamviewer and we can try uninstalling what's there, starting fresh with the Google sdk and go from there.

PS- Sorry I haven't had a more direct answer I know it can be frustrating with so much trial and error and it being almost working. But I promise I'll stick with it until we get something figured out, or you get mad and remotely smack me over the head with a keyboard.

I'm pretty sure I was using the 2.0 port but I could be wrong. I'll keep working on it and if I can't resolve it I'd love to try teamviewer wth you. Thank you so much for all the help so far.

kalbany

Jun 23, 2013
Finally got it working, kept trying on my old computer that I unlocked it originally with and eventually it just decided to recognize it and worked.

Thanks so much for the help getting to this point.

lunshao

Jun 26, 2013
I'm pretty sure I was using the 2.0 port but I could be wrong. I'll keep working on it and if I can't resolve it I'd love to try teamviewer wth you. Thank you so much for all the help so far.
I

Is there an error information, e.g: Windows code 10.

If yes, I googled it, it shows:

The error message probably occurs when you are trying to use a particular piece of hardware, such as a USB connected device or internal DVD drive. Take note of the device you are using when the error occurs in order to update the correct drivers.

error.info/windows/driver-10.html

;)
Cheers,
Lun:

DX6Or

Aug 23, 2012
I had my phone unlocked and working with a custom ROM in the past, but after some problems I gave up and just relocked it and went back to stock. Now I'm trying to unlock it again and I'm running into some problems. I'm unable to get the identifier token to use with htcdev because whenever I go into the bootloader my phone is not recognized by adb. fastboot oem get_identifier_token leaves me with a waiting for device message, and adb devices returns an empty list. If I turn the phone on normally the device shows up then. To the best of my knowledge, I have all the necessary drivers. I have tried multiple USB slots, multiple computers (including the one I originally did the unlock on, when it worked fine), and have searched all around the internet and various forums for an answer. I've tried manually updating the USB drivers through device manager, but that did nothing. I have HTC sync installed as well. When I plug the USB cable in I sometimes get a device cannot be identified/has malfunctioned message. Device manager also shows a yellow warning triangle on my phone when in the bootloader. I'm on windows 8 currently, but I've tried it on a windows 7 pc as well with the same results.

tldr: adb doesn't recognize my phone while in bootloader, so I can't unlock it.

Thanks in advance for any help, I've tried everything I can think of.

I have Started a thread for HTC Droid Incredible phones in the troubleshooting area. Im having the same exact problem and im running Windows
as soon as i do the command: fastboot oem get_identifier_token, it just sits there and waits. and then i get a pop up from the system tray saying that my device has malfunctioned.

Finn1sher

Nov 19, 2020
Samsung Galaxy S4
Google Nexus 5

Regardless of how old this thread is I'm running into the same problems now!
My Xperia XZ1 Compact doesn't seem to be recognized when in the bootloader (indicated by a black screen and blue led).

I tried "adb reboot hboot" and it booted into a new black screen, but didn't last long before rebooting.
I tried other button combinations during the sequence and those didn't change anything.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It should be "fastboot devices" as the command.

Does your computer have native USB 3?