• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Q] adb returning "error: closed"

Search This thread

dande_

May 10, 2013
Hi,

I'm currently trying to use adb to push some data into my phone but i always get "error: closed". I'm using windows 7 x64 and im running it from cmd.

Almost everything i tried using adb (push, shell, remount) returns this. I've searched over the forums and tried "adb devices" as well to see if my phone is connected, but what is different from the others is i am getting

List of devices attached
XXXXXX host

instead of what most other people got
List of devices attached
XXXXXX device

Is this a problem? What am i missing? Thanks a lot for ur time in reading this

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut
This is actually the only place I've found that might have had a solution to my problem (different device: Nexus 7, Stock 4.3 JWR66Y, unrooted, I'm attempting to sideload the 4.4 update but continually get this error:closed message.

isnt "error closed" something to do with out of date adb?

Guich

May 18, 2012
Somewhere
This is actually the only place I've found that might have had a solution to my problem (different device: Nexus 7, Stock 4.3 JWR66Y, unrooted, I'm attempting to sideload the 4.4 update but continually get this error:closed message.

Some people had solved the issue with the command:
Code:
adb usb
and after a reboot of device.
But seems don't work for all.

isnt "error closed" something to do with out of date adb?

Umh, no, i don' think :)

Reactions: TryingAll

KoolAidBigMan

Aug 17, 2008
I was having the same problems. Couldn't sideload. When I would run "adb devices" , my device would be listed. If I ran "adb usb" I would get "error: closed" . The sideload command would just bring up a list of commands. This may help someone, I installed a new version of adb. Not sure if I can post links but the file name was adb-setup-1.1.exe. This installs the needed files, the installer didn't notify me where the files were installed but they installed right to my C:\ drive. This seemed to eliminate the problem for me. I did a lot of searching and couldn't find anyone with this specific issue, so if anyone finds themselves with this problem give this a try.

morheb

Apr 25, 2012
worked for me

i had the same problem
i coulnt send anyfile to my htc one but after updating plate-form tools and replacing the old adb and fastboot files with the new ones
i entered the commend adb sideload rom.zip and it started sending the rom
and the phone was on twrp recovery-advanced-sideload

rossmurray

Nov 27, 2010
London
i had the same problem
i coulnt send anyfile to my htc one but after updating plate-form tools and replacing the old adb and fastboot files with the new ones
i entered the commend adb sideload rom.zip and it started sending the rom
and the phone was on twrp recovery-advanced-sideload

Yay. That Just worked for me using Crunchbang Debian. Thanks morheb that little tweak of using 'sideload' was the key

Reactions: morheb

Stokijs

Dec 12, 2013
Can anyone help me push vold.fstab file with adb?
Stock Recovery on mediatek platform. with adb i got same error as this thread. Error:closed

JimboAccy

Jan 22, 2014
I was having the same problems. Couldn't sideload. When I would run "adb devices" , my device would be listed. If I ran "adb usb" I would get "error: closed" . The sideload command would just bring up a list of commands. This may help someone, I installed a new version of adb. Not sure if I can post links but the file name was adb-setup-1.1.exe. This installs the needed files, the installer didn't notify me where the files were installed but they installed right to my C:\ drive. This seemed to eliminate the problem for me. I did a lot of searching and couldn't find anyone with this specific issue, so if anyone finds themselves with this problem give this a try.

Perfect - worked for me - exact same issue - adb wasnt recognising my phone was in sideload and sideload command wouldnt work but push would - plus getting error closed message on adb usb command. Googled the above adb file, downloaded, 15 second install and now sideloading is working on my SG2 with CWM recovery 6.0.2.9 (kitkat). I was obviously using an outdated ADB driver (1.0.29).

Thanks a lot KoolAidBigMan !! Big up...

Jimbo

EDIT : Spoke too soon - now getting another error when trying to sideload.. will google it.. failed to write data 'protocol fault (no status)'

EDIT : Sorted. Ended up getting round it by pushing the files instead - found instructions on Cyanogenmod forums. Thanks once again.

Last edited:

imperfecy

Nov 12, 2014
mtk6572 have same error

I have same error.. but I know that my phone's usb debugging is not enable.. so I got this error:close..

My phone is on bootloop so I can't enable the usb debugging.. Is there any way to enable the usb debugging using adb commands? I trying to push the framework-res.apk on my phone.. because it is the cause of the bootloop.

i'm a nood

Reactions: ajeymeister

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try:

Code:
    adb usb
    then
    Code:
    adb devices

or

Code:
    adb kill-server
    then
    Code:
    adb start-server
    then
    Code:
    adb devices
    maybe a bit outdated but this fixed it for me:

Rather then do "sideload" through adb (and starting the adb in recovery of your phone), just stay in the TWRP 'Advanced' page and do:

adb /kill-server
    adb usb
    adb push (romname) /data

NOTE:
    - '/data' for me was what it might be /sdcard0 or similar to you. I just couldn't mount it.
    - the terminal on your PC won't give you any feedback until the copy has been performed entirely (it might take a while since it's a transfer of hundreds of MB so just be patient).

It successfully copied the rom to the sdcard folder, then I was able to install the rom just fine from the normal install TWRP command.

Huge thanks to voxigenboy and his thread:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2720846

Cheers
    Try:

Code:
    adb usb
    then
    Code:
    adb devices

or

Code:
    adb kill-server
    then
    Code:
    adb start-server
    then
    Code:
    adb devices

Thank you! Although after doing these commands it still returned error:closed it listed my device as being in sideload mode so all sideload commands worked after that including sideloading a rom .zip
    I have same error.. but I know that my phone's usb debugging is not enable.. so I got this error:close..

My phone is on bootloop so I can't enable the usb debugging.. Is there any way to enable the usb debugging using adb commands? I trying to push the framework-res.apk on my phone.. because it is the cause of the bootloop.

i'm a nood
    You can use adb in custom recovery (without usb debugging enabled)
    It only needs to be enabled to use adb while the phone is booted to Android OS.

The closed error your receiving is most likely due to outdated adb. You need to update your adb/fastboot software. You can check your current Version by typing "adb version" without the quotes.

Sent from my HTC One M7 - ARHD 82.0 Using Tapatalk
    If you found my posts helpful, Please click thanks :good: