• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Adtrack.King Popup leading me to download Candy Crush from the Play Store

Search This thread

Toronadian

Apr 17, 2013
This might not be a Nexus 4 specific question but it's starting to bother me quite a bit.

A few days ago, I was browsing XDA on the Chrome Beta browser. I might have (not sure) accidentally tapped on an advertisement. It lead me to some URL that was related to adtrack.king that would popup, and then the Play Store would come up to get me to download Candy Crush. I've tried deleting the browsing data in the privacy settings of Chrome, as well as going into settings, then deleting all data from Chrome. It works for a bit but when I try to get back onto XDA, the popup happens again and again it tries to get me to download Candy Crush.

This link from the Google forums is an example of what happens. You can search on the internet and there have been many people complaining about this both on Android and iOS, but I have not been able to find a fix for it.

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/EDJTbPaW5dg

For now it seems it only happens on XDA forums, but from reading up on the internet, it seems it appears with whatever forum that people originally get the issue from (ie. if someone got it from a car forum, it would be whenever they go on the car forum that the popup would occur).

EDIT: OK, I've noticed that it is specifically the page that I first experienced the issue that the popup ad will occur. I first experienced it on my phone when reading the dbrand skins thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2095261&page=245) that the popup will occur. I start looking at any other XDA page and it won't happen but it's in that specific thread that it will happen. I'm starting to think this is linked with Chrome along with pages on a forum that a person will view.

EDIT #2: Here's a video of someone on an iPhone that experiences exactly the same thing. Only difference is that I'm on Android, and that it leads me to the Play Store to download the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGJhYq95IFo

This is the URL of the popup (DO NOT CLICK IT): http://adtrack.king.com/modules/adtracking/adclicked.jsp?type=ad&st1=hitfox&st2=candycrushsaga&st3=us$st4=&st5=aff_lsr&st6=102917ff4f43ecab466d8a83825d58&link=market://details?id=com.king.candycrushsaga

That popup will occur before Play Store opening up to Candy Crush

Last edited:

Toronadian

Apr 17, 2013
Does NO ONE else know what I'm talking about or something? Just throw "adtrack.king" into Google search and there's plenty of hits.

SerkSerk

May 31, 2011
France
I got the same thing too, and I'm pretty sure I don't click any add while browsing

҉ Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 4 ҉

Toronadian

Apr 17, 2013
OK, I see in my initial post I said I accidentally tapped an app and that might have confused you guys, I meant I might have accidentally tapped an advertisement, not an app when browsing XDA. The popup is always to some adtrack.king thing and it leads to the Play Store opening trying to get me to download Candy Crush.

I got the same thing too, and I'm pretty sure I don't click any add while browsing

҉ Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 4 ҉

Me too, I don't think I accidentally tapped on an advertisement either.

Toronadian

Apr 17, 2013
Just install ad away guys!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I'll try that out, but I feel like the problem will still be there, it's just blocking. In the sense that I think there's something wrong with the cookies but at least this does prevent the ad.

Has no one else seriously experienced this? I find PLENTY of Google hits but none with a solution for it. No, clearing cookies & browsing history does not fix it.

dretsolk

May 31, 2013
Candy Crush

Does NO ONE else know what I'm talking about or something? Just throw "adtrack.king" into Google search and there's plenty of hits.

I have had the same problem on my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and this is how I solved it.
On your home page, tap on the symbol of two rectangles in the lower left corner, this will bring up several icons on the left side of the screen.
In my case, I found the Candy Crush icon, I noticed the word "network" beside the CC icon before I deleted it, (this identity may be different on your device) hold finger on icon, and tap "remove from list".
At the bottom left tap "task manager". This will bring up a list, select "downloaded". Find an icon on the right that has the same identity you noticed along with the CC icon before you removed it. When you find it , regardless of what app is associated with it, tap "uninstall".
In my case the app was a game my grandkids downloaded called "Plants vs Zombies".

After following the above, the Candy Crush item was gone when I started my device. This was three days ago and it hasn't occurred again.

Hope this helps.

meangreenie

Mar 6, 2012
I get it using aosp browser from this site... Also on my PC using opera, it asks to opena file called 'push' fairly often when opening an xda page

xmagiicsx

Jul 17, 2012
New York CIty
Just use file manager and try to find the ad and delete it or install appbrain ad dectector
from the google play store
Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

ptechgalaxy

Jul 4, 2013
SEATTLE
stupid ad

i finally got rid of it! it was popping up each time someone would call me on my s3. the popup ad covered up accecpt/ deny with its own interface. tricking users to press on popups answer key which took you straight to candy crush game. luckily i had just pressed back each time it popped up. Today i missed a very important phonecall and i am sick of it! so, 1st i cleared all the data cache, cookies etc.. from all browsers I use . That didnt help.so, I just manually looked for shady apps installed from apks. i uninstalled nearly half of my apps :( . oh well. anyhow the culprit was a app called "MUZ" i have never used it before didnt even know it was there. as soon as i uninstalled that app popup went away immediately.
hope this helps anyone.

AB33

Nov 10, 2007
I downloaded OI File Manager and saw a folder named .adc and it had all of the jpg's and videos from the pop ups so I just deleted it from the person's GS3 that had the problem. I need more time to see if it is a long term solution but for now it looks as if it works.

Sent from my TMO GS4 via TapaTalk 2

Reactions: falcon897

XaveT

Feb 13, 2008
Idea

Yeah, I'm having the same problem.

I'm also thinking that we are looking at the problem incorrectly. Candy Crush Saga is just a red herring, the problem is having a link/page able to automatically launch the Play Store in the first place.

So I would submit that we need some way to modify the association to the "market://" protocol in Android itself.

I have this happen at LEAST once a day, and it's always annoying.

Anyone with MIME experience in Linux/Android that can point us at modifying this?

falcon897

Aug 29, 2012
THANKYOU!

I downloaded OI File Manager and saw a folder named .adc and it had all of the jpg's and videos from the pop ups so I just deleted it from the person's GS3 that had the problem. I need more time to see if it is a long term solution but for now it looks as if it works.

Same thing happened to me recently.
I tried every add app possible finally found the .adc and it had a lot of what i was seeing all the time. Hope it fixes it.

Reactions: AB33

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

THANKYOU!

Same thing happened to me recently.
    I tried every add app possible finally found the .adc and it had a lot of what i was seeing all the time. Hope it fixes it.