[Q] Amazon Fire Tv

robclark

Apr 7, 2014
Nicely done. I don't suppose you've already figured out how to put your own kernel on the device? I'm not really sure how fastboot is working on this thing, without a usb otg port (although I wouldn't be entirely surprised if usb otg accounts for some of those extra pads on the 16 pad connector behind the apq8064). Usually I see 10 or 20 pin jtag connectors.

just fwiw, to introduce myself, since I'm new here: I'm the guy working on freedreno.. don't normally do the forum thing (you can find me on freenode).. just created an account here to reply on this thread. I pretty much need to be able to put my own kernel on the thing. I guess we'll see when my fire tv comes later this week... my soldering iron is standing-by..)

jcase

Retired Forum Moderator / Senior Recognized Develo
Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
Nicely done. I don't suppose you've already figured out how to put your own kernel on the device? I'm not really sure how fastboot is working on this thing, without a usb otg port (although I wouldn't be entirely surprised if usb otg accounts for some of those extra pads on the 16 pad connector behind the apq8064). Usually I see 10 or 20 pin jtag connectors.

just fwiw, to introduce myself, since I'm new here: I'm the guy working on freedreno.. don't normally do the forum thing (you can find me on freenode).. just created an account here to reply on this thread. I pretty much need to be able to put my own kernel on the thing. I guess we'll see when my fire tv comes later this week... my soldering iron is standing-by..)
Details soon enough. Fastboot is locked down, no flashin, lk checks image siagntures etc

rj2763

Apr 7, 2014
FIRE!

so does this rooting mean we will be able to mess with the voice search option on the fire tv and maybe ever program it to do speech to text in apps like Netflix and Pandora?

HemRoyd

May 25, 2012
What do you guys think about having an accessories forum in this section? It would be nice to document and discuss what ultimately works with the USB port, like remotes, controllers, etc. Not sure if you would call it "Accessories" or what the preference would be, but maybe the Admin will see the discussion and add it, or I could PM him or something and request it.

bkai

Apr 10, 2009
Details soon enough. Fastboot is locked down, no flashin, lk checks image siagntures etc
Can't wait for this! Excellent work!

What do you guys think about having an accessories forum in this section? It would be nice to document and discuss what ultimately works with the USB port, like remotes, controllers, etc. Not sure if you would call it "Accessories" or what the preference would be, but maybe the Admin will see the discussion and add it, or I could PM him or something and request it.
That would be cool since it does take accessories... first on the list would be more storage! :good:

Last edited:

screwyluie

May 20, 2009
Can't wait for this! Excellent work!

That would be cool since it does take accessories... first on the list would be more storage! :good:
usb keyboard works, mouse enables a cursor but doesn't seem to actually work.
I'm curious what can be done with the bluetooth, I want to connect my dualshock 3 like I do on my phone.

kairnage

Aug 17, 2011
usb keyboard works, mouse enables a cursor but doesn't seem to actually work.
I'm curious what can be done with the bluetooth, I want to connect my dualshock 3 like I do on my phone.
I haven't tried my PS3 yet but the controller for the Ouya system works perfect. Even the built in touchpad works. Sideloaded a few different games, full touch games should work with the touch remap apps once root is released.

Cerberus_

Jan 23, 2014
Fastboot Connection is a Go

The problem is that adb is accessible over IP only (or at least I have not yet found other way) and I cannot do fastboot.mat 0 not supported
[/CODE]
I got fastboot working by creating a custom cable. I took two USB printer cables (type A on one end and type B on the opposite) and cut off the two type B ends, after which simply (I, however experimented with all possible wire combinations) splice the two type A ends together by connecting similar transmission lines (i.e. green-Data + to green, ground to ground) . Connect the Fire TV to your PC with this and rebootinto recovery or bootloader via Wireless ADB or power cycle the unit by unplugging it and plugging it in. If this cable is attactched to both the Fire TV andvyou PC during boot it will boot into bootloader automatically. The device driver installed by Windows 8 is "Android ADB (Google)" it gets listed when the devices operand is given in fastboot and it accepts the basic fastboot commands like reboot and continue. That is all I could test as I do not have anything to write to the flash.

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
I got fastboot working by creating a custom cable. I took two USB printer cables (type A on one end and type B on the opposite) and cut off the two type B ends, after which simply (I, however experimented with all possible wire combinations) splice the two type A ends together by connecting similar transmission lines (i.e. green-Data + to green, ground to ground) . Connect the Fire TV to your PC with this and rebootinto recovery or bootloader via Wireless ADB or power cycle the unit by unplugging it and plugging it in. If this cable is attactched to both the Fire TV andvyou PC during boot it will boot into bootloader automatically. The device driver installed by Windows 8 is "Android ADB (Google)" it gets listed when the devices operand is given in fastboot and it accepts the basic fastboot commands like reboot and continue. That is all I could test as I do not have anything to write to the flash.
Bootloader is locked, and checks images for signatures. So flashing is out of the question.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
Hmmmm. I wonder if it isn't locked with some flavor of OpenSSL.
If you are thinking heartbleed, that isn't an option.

nope.. there is some good info about secure boot here:

https://github.com/CryptoPunk/Phone_research/wiki/MSM8960

(but ofc, as with openssl, the way in will be bugs.. just different bugs)
Bootloader isn't a problem, I've posted video of booting unsigned code. Problem is finding a root exploit I'm comfortable releasing, and getting a properly working recovery

gregcavaretta

Feb 21, 2014
things to do with the keyboard

things todo with a keyboard

F11 opens Voice Search
F12 takes you home
Ctrl+alt+delete restarts the Fire Tv
Alt+Tab opens recent
Windows key+Tab opens recent
Esc gose back on some things(works mostly in KFTV launcher)
Arrow keys move so dose the num pad when num lock is off
Tab is the play/pause button
Space bar is Play/pause but also is fast forward sometimes only is in pop up keyboard so far
if you hold arrow key left or right in a movie by amazon it will fast forward or rewind
the menu button on the keyboard is the menu on the fire tv

there's a way to boot into recovery mode without adb I don't know if it was because I kept hitting Ctrl+alt+delete during boot up or the fact that I was trying all the keys at once

Warning: DON'T MESS WITH THE VOLUME KEYS because somehow I muted the whole system its a easy fix tho just download a volume manager and side load the apk to your Fire Tv (Via adb)

Attachments

pbcal

Sep 22, 2010
Wallpaper for Alternate Launcher

I have tried few sideloaded launchers. But the background is always black. If I try to change the wallpaper if gives me the option to choose the wallpaper, but does not do anything. Did any one have any clue what I should do?