[Q] Ambient light sensor values odd

Search This thread

mttmllns

Nov 13, 2009
Seattle, WA
I've just started to dive into CM 7's light sensor options:

Menu > Settings > CyanogenMod settings > Display > Automatic backlight

The default settings seem to be tuned for a device that detects 1-10240 lux.

Reading the raw sensor value on the "Edit other levels..." option I'm only able to max the sensor to 1023. Also, the values it can actually detect are a little odd... I've only seen values of 1, 3, 5, 17, 33, 172, 299, 326, 344, and 1023 lux.

I just got this wonderful phone on Monday, so I just wanted to double check these are the values other MT4G's get as well. If you're into this kinda stuff and want to check, you can see it under CyanogenMod settings or if you aren't on CM there's an app on the market called Light Tester which will also report sensor values.

Are you seeing the same thing I'm seeing?

If these are indeed regular values for the MT4G then this issue on CM's issue tracker could use some votes:

http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issues/detail?id=2298

If you also have a different device with a light sensor you input would be interesting as well!

Back to modifying these levels. If I find a good combination of options I'll post 'em for you guys.

Reactions: odrecords

irwinfeliz

Aug 26, 2008
Santo Domingo
Hello!

I'm just trying to find the Light Tester app on the market but i can't. If you send me the app, i would be glad to give you my feedback about how my sensor capabilities develops on my HTC Wildfire.

Thanks!

odrecords

May 6, 2009
Chandler, AZ
After fiddling with these settings for a few days and discovering what they mean, I have come up with a set of values that suit me best.
In very low light conditions I prefer my screen to be as dim as possible, but fully bright when outside or even near a window or also in the car.
And everything in between is set pretty well IMO
The only thing that throws it off is the fact that CM is a little buggy in this area, and I find that it lags a little or takes a screen reset (which just consists of turning it off and back on via the power button) to get a correct ambient light to value reading).

Attachments

• snap20110412_094710.jpg
    snap20110412_094710.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 181
  • snap20110412_094714.jpg
    snap20110412_094714.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 152
Apr 11, 2011
LOL would be a good test, my new phone, from craigslist, is going to black screen everytime i make a call, the only way to fix is it to put a flash light up to the senor or plug it into the wall or USB.
yay craigslist as the best excuse EVER to not give support to someone, NEW phone and tmobile nore HTC will offer any help. They all say they cant support me cause i didn't buy it from tmobile.

athakur999

Nov 23, 2009
My phone only seems to make it up to 640. This was with my phone right next to a bright CFL bulb. Not sure if my screen protector is limiting the range of the sensor.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA App

athakur999

Nov 23, 2009
I noticed in CM7.0.2 that I am now able to get the full range of values from 20-10240. Before my light sensor would only show from 20-640. So, whatever bug was causing this looks to have been squashed.

faux123

Dec 16, 2010
West Los Angeles
www.canonspike.com
There was a bug introduced by cm7's kernel a while back which I also used (I thought cm7 team knew better, oh well). It has been fixed by Zinx for cm7 and I have the same fix in my kernels also.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've just started to dive into CM 7's light sensor options:

Menu > Settings > CyanogenMod settings > Display > Automatic backlight

The default settings seem to be tuned for a device that detects 1-10240 lux.

Reading the raw sensor value on the "Edit other levels..." option I'm only able to max the sensor to 1023. Also, the values it can actually detect are a little odd... I've only seen values of 1, 3, 5, 17, 33, 172, 299, 326, 344, and 1023 lux.

I just got this wonderful phone on Monday, so I just wanted to double check these are the values other MT4G's get as well. If you're into this kinda stuff and want to check, you can see it under CyanogenMod settings or if you aren't on CM there's an app on the market called Light Tester which will also report sensor values.

Are you seeing the same thing I'm seeing?

If these are indeed regular values for the MT4G then this issue on CM's issue tracker could use some votes:

http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issues/detail?id=2298

If you also have a different device with a light sensor you input would be interesting as well!

Back to modifying these levels. If I find a good combination of options I'll post 'em for you guys.