• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we moved to a new and more secure software and older account passwords were not able to be migrated. We recommend trying to reset your password, then contacting us if there are issues.

[Q&A][SGS2][Newbies][Experienced Users][RCs] New members friendly Q&A thread

marjune23

Sep 1, 2011
My fb calendar doesnt sync with my calendar after flashing NeatRom extralite. So I post this question to NeatRom thread.
One of our collegues there answer me back that it's all about Sns.apk that needs to to be symlinked from preload to system app.
So guys, noob question here again...how to symlinked apps?

FYI, I also read this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=35044106&postcount=1
I tried to open (only from my phone using root explorer built in editor) sample apps from system/apps that is already symlinked to preload but after opening the sysmlinked apk I can't understand what is written. I can't find the lines stating "Link: /preload/symlink/system/app/nameofapp.apk"

Last edited:

avirk

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 21, 2012
My fb calendar doesnt sync with my calendar after flashing NeatRom extralite. So I post this question to NeatRom thread.
One of our collegues there answer me back that it's all about Sns.apk that needs to to be symlinked from preload to system app.
So guys, noob question here again...how to symlinked apps?

FYI, I also read this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=35044106&postcount=1
I tried to open (only from my phone using root explorer built in editor) sample apps from system/apps that is already symlinked to preload but after opening the sysmlinked apk I can't understand what is written. I can't find the lines stating "Link: /preload/symlink/system/app/nameofapp.apk"

Use my flashable template I gave you for that apk will work easily buddy. But manually using root explorer you have to do this ;like this,

Place the apk in preload folder
Now long press on apk and then choose option sysmlink and select the system/app folder.

Or using es file explorer paste the apk in both folder preload and system/app and you done.

but most easy way is use any flashable zip template mate. :)

marjune23

Sep 1, 2011
Use my flashable template I gave you for that apk will work easily buddy. But manually using root explorer you have to do this ;like this,

Place the apk in preload folder
Now long press on apk and then choose option sysmlink and select the system/app folder.

Or using es file explorer paste the apk in both folder preload and system/app and you done.

but most easy way is use any flashable zip template mate. :)
OMG, Sir @avirk you save me again...:angel:
It didn't came into my mind that Sns.apk was also removed during the installation of extralite (included in full rom)
How stupid I am for not thinking.

Drake9090

Nov 23, 2013
If you are from China then I'll suggest you to flash the XWMS1 firmware from sammobile.com or Google it and then root it using Philz kernel for GT-I9100(If you have this variant) and then flash any custom rom for that you have to do the following....
1: Flash Philz kernel in stock recovery and you get rooted and have CWM.
2: Backup your firware including preload for this look my Guide of rooting.
3: Wipe data/factory reset
4: Wipe cache
5: Advanced/wipe dalvik cache
6: Install the rom zip.

Buddy just flash the philz kernel in stock recovery from extrnal sd card and you will get rooted and have a cwm. Backup your firmware using CWM including preload folder and you can flash any custom rom which is for GT-I9100.
All done ;) now i just have to choose the better rom, but this would be my business :D
the only sad thing is that i can't post in the right topic because it's a developer subsection :(
Anyway, thank you very much for your help!

It_ler

Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2011
the only sad thing is that i can't post in the right topic because it's a developer subsection :(
That's why we have a dedicated Q&A section ... to separate non-development questions and answers from the development related threads ;)
You are welcome to post your questions in here as long as there is no Q&A or general discussion thread for the kernel/ROM itself :highfive:

Glock3am

Dec 24, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
guys i'm on stock jelly bean and i want to go to android 4.4.1 can any tell me how I all ready searched it but i was confused with so many kernels and lots of bricks phone so can any one give me a secured method this is me phone spec and brand
Bear in mind that 4.4.x Kit Kat ROMs are still very much in the early stages for the i9100. They are certainly not fully featured yet and prone to many bugs and crashes.

At this stage I cannot recommend anyone really trying them unless they want to be on the cutting edge and assist with testing and on. They are not ready for general, reliable usage yet.

If you want a change from stock, I would recommend upgrading to:

A 4.1.2-based stock ROM that will allow you some level of customisability and extra features over pure stock without losing any their benefits. I recommend NeatROM. It's my current ROM and it's great!

Or

A 4.2.x AOSP ROM which will offer you the newer Jelly Bean goodies and have been in development long enough now to be quite stable, particularly compared to the 4.4.x ROMs mentioned above. I recommend looking at SlimBean, SentinelROM or SuperNexus. I have tried and used each one for several long stints and found them all to be quite good.

At the end of the day, only you can decide which ROM suits you, but one thing is for sure, and that's that any of them are better than a stock ROM!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Arafeh94

Apr 29, 2013
Tripoli
Guys i just want to check if i'm doing right cuz i don't want to end up with a bricked phone so
1-flash philZ kernel to get root access (XWLSD)
2-reboot to system
3-reboot to recovery and flash cm 10.2 recovery (not specified for my firmware)(not XWLSD)
4-reboot directly to recovery and wipe every thing (fr,dalvic,...)
5-flash a cm 11 rom
6-flash gapps
7-reboot to system

is there any thing missed ?
thanks for helping

DonAndress

Mar 16, 2010
Kraków
Hello.

I just installed NeatRom SuperLight 2.5.1 and it's superb.
One downfall though, lucky_sidhu decided to strip this version from a stock clock/alarm clock.
I accidentally removed the one he added (can't remember what it was) and I tried this one: XDA link but it doesn't show an alarm clock icon in the notification bar.
I know that author released a package of stock apps but it's all in one ZIP and I'm affraid that when installing from under Recovery Mode I would install all that bloatware. Extracting just one APK from this package doesn't work - can't install app.

How do I get the very stock clock/alarm clock app from Android v4.1.2?

Drake9090

Nov 23, 2013
That's why we have a dedicated Q&A section ... to separate non-development questions and answers from the development related threads ;)
You are welcome to post your questions in here as long as there is no Q&A or general discussion thread for the kernel/ROM itself :highfive:
Ok ;) so I start with my stupid question: at boot, the first thing I see is not galaxy i9100g, but a chinese trademark I suppose, red ideograms on white background... is it possible to change it? or is it just the bootanimation and i can follow the guide about it?

Last edited:

engloa

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2011
Here & There ...
Hello.

I just installed NeatRom SuperLight 2.5.1 and it's superb.
One downfall though, lucky_sidhu decided to strip this version from a stock clock/alarm clock.
I accidentally removed the one he added (can't remember what it was) and I tried this one: XDA link but it doesn't show an alarm clock icon in the notification bar.
I know that author released a package of stock apps but it's all in one ZIP and I'm affraid that when installing from under Recovery Mode I would install all that bloatware. Extracting just one APK from this package doesn't work - can't install app.

How do I get the very stock clock/alarm clock app from Android v4.1.2?
You cant extract and install system apps like a normal apk. You need to use a file manager with root access like root explorer,es file explorer ... and copy the apk to preload folder and then link it to system/app and reboot
Not sure what you mean by very stock clock/alarm, but the stock clock that comes with every sammy jb release will be called clockpackage.apk and widget will be called simplealarmclock.apk

DonAndress

Mar 16, 2010
Kraków
You need to use a file manager with root access like root explorer,es file explorer ... and copy the apk to preload folder and then link it to system/app and reboot
Thank you very much for your answer. What's the procedure of linking?
Can any of these managers create such link automatically?
Or do I have to prepare a centrain file myself?
If myself then x-plore with root acces that I use sould do the trick, right?

And maybe on this accasion another similar question :)
I use Hadncent Sms and I modified one of the skins within the application.
How do I extract this skin with my settings now so I could always apply it in case of a system reinstallation.

marjune23

Sep 1, 2011

How do I extract this skin with my settings now so I could always apply it in case of a system reinstallation.
For symlinking, read this
by Sir avirk
or
by Sir CFI
or
by Sir engloa

Last edited:

engloa

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2011
Here & There ...

Using root explorer as an example, browse to preload/symlink/system/app,long press on (for example) clockpackage.apk and choose link to this file. Then go back/up to /system/app folder (mount as r/w) and press on create link.
Reboot for changes to take effect. Also make sure that permissions of the apk inside the preload folder are set to rw-r--r--

Whew!didn't think i could type this long:D

Last edited:

pritam13c

Feb 7, 2013
Kolkata
Stock SGS2 Camera + FM Radio

I'm currently using OMNI ROM 4.4.2 (12/29) which seems pretty stable & smooth & stock Kitkat experience to me :cowboy:

Is there anyway I can install FMRadio.apk and SamsungCamera.apk into this ROM?

my device is rooted with SuperSU 1.86 and using Root Explorer app I've moved those to \system\app\
changed permissions as rw-r-r just like other apks in system app..

But why it gives error on installation?

Does anyone have Stock SGS2 I9100 camera and FM Radio working app for Kitkat? (.apk or flashable .zip) :silly:
thanks in advance..

IMO Stock Samsung Camera pics are way better than Android Camera in AOSP for SGS2..
It would be great if I manage to get that app installed for kitkat 4.4.2

Transparent Status Bar and Full Screen Immersive options are the best feature that I've found in OMNI ROM :D
I've replaced the OMNI Boot Animation to Nexus 5.. :angel:

Vivek_Neel

Recognized Contributor / Themer
Dec 23, 2012
Chennai
I'm currently using OMNI ROM 4.4.2 (12/29) which seems pretty stable & smooth & stock Kitkat experience to me :cowboy:

Is there anyway I can install FMRadio.apk and SamsungCamera.apk into this ROM?

my device is rooted with SuperSU 1.86 and using Root Explorer app I've moved those to \system\app\
changed permissions as rw-r-r just like other apks in system app..

But why it gives error on installation?

Does anyone have Stock SGS2 I9100 camera and FM Radio working app for Kitkat? (.apk or flashable .zip) :silly:
thanks in advance..

IMO Stock Samsung Camera pics are way better than Android Camera in AOSP for SGS2..
It would be great if I manage to get that app installed for kitkat 4.4.2

Transparent Status Bar and Full Screen Immersive options are the best feature that I've found in OMNI ROM :D
I've replaced the OMNI Boot Animation to Nexus 5.. :angel:
U cant do so mate

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

avirk

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 21, 2012
U cant do so mate

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
+1

+1
Its not just simply copying the apk.
You'll also need a few jars and permissions—seccamera,sec_feature,sechardware,secmediarecorder
+2
You both have more experience and knowledge than me But I think we need some lib files as well to work them properly on other ROM. :D
Great.. :victory:

where can I download all those jars & apks ? :D

Reactions: It_ler
Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone