[Q] Any idea on how to transfer files from PC to A500 without SD or Root?

Search This thread

gammaRascal

Apr 21, 2011
SoCal
Why not use the included mini-USB cable?

Another option would be some kind of file manager. I use ES File Explorer. I can navigate over LAN to my laptop / desktop and grab files.

Dropbox is another option. Though you'd first have to send the files to your DB folder on your PC - this does have the added benefit of being able to get to those files anywhere you have a WiFi connection though.

MJ-12

Apr 29, 2011
IN FRONT OF THE COMPUTER :)
File expert is nice. Plus it can stream media from your PC.

:)

__________________________________________________ ______________________
ZTE Blade - Rooted OC 729mh - CM7 RC2 V/nice
Advent Vega - Rooted OC 1.4gh - Corvous5 rom gorgeous smoooth and qqquick
Iconia A500 - Rooted - HComb Sweet :)

bahurd

May 12, 2011
Dropbox

How about dropbox, then it's pretty much automatic after you save the file on the PC.

T0yman

Apr 28, 2011
USB USB USB!

USB cable to PC shows in the Windows Explorer.

USB Thumb/Flash Drive

USB Harddrive

Shigster

Jun 9, 2010
One thing I noticed is that some of the folders that appear on Root Explorer do not appear on my computer like the beautiful widgets folder.

robnix

Jun 24, 2010
Why not use the included mini-USB cable?

Another option would be some kind of file manager. I use ES File Explorer. I can navigate over LAN to my laptop / desktop and grab files.

Dropbox is another option. Though you'd first have to send the files to your DB folder on your PC - this does have the added benefit of being able to get to those files anywhere you have a WiFi connection though.

I use Tonido on my file server with the Tonido client on my A500.

http://tonido.com/

Works really well for this.

robnix

Jun 24, 2010
That actually looks a very ellegant solution - maybe even a little enterprise'ee if you dont mind the term. As a user, how is it working for you when you compare to the other options?

vs. USB:

downloading files is much faster over wifi than USB, and there's no performance hit like there is with USB.
I can access my files from anywhere I have a data connection. it was nice the other day to think about an album i wanted to hear and download it over my work wifi

vs. Dropbox

no special folders to setup, you just browse the file structure on your server.

The only real issues I have with it so far are:

I can't set a default download folder on my A500. I'm hoping they fix this.
You have to kill the client to move files from the default download folder to say your external sd card.

Last edited:

Tahde

Nov 5, 2008
North Dallas
Whats the best way of obtaining the files if you have external hard drive on a network? I've been told of several file folder managers, but have been unsuccessful in getting into my network.

bahurd

May 12, 2011
vs. USB:

downloading files is much faster over wifi than USB, and there's no performance hit like there is with USB.
I can access my files from anywhere I have a data connection. it was nice the other day to think about an album i wanted to hear and download it over my work wifi

vs. Dropbox

no special folders to setup, you just browse the file structure on your server.

The only real issues I have with it so far are:

I can't set a default download folder on my A500. I'm hoping they fix this.
You have to kill the client to move files from the default download folder to say your external sd card.

Re. Dropbox

I agree, a way to change the default folder/location to an external SD card would be nice.

Also, a way to set a global 'hard download' option for all or a folder would be nice vs. the individual file(s).

For some of us without a full time 3G/Wifi connection I prefer to have my files synced and resident on the device.

akkidy

Dec 13, 2008
Los Angeles
Nobody using Acer sync? The client is already pre-installed on the Iconia, you just have to install Acer sync on your PC. Sync by wifi or USB on demand. Pretty easy to use. I also use remote web desktop app with nice drag and drop feature, websharing by NextApp and wifi explorer which give you more control on which folder to transfer files.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

84z28

Apr 29, 2011
Rochester NY
i'm still trying to figure out how to move music files around. I connect my tablet to my computer via usb cable. I put some music into the acer music folder and then look for it with the google music app and nothing comes up. But everytime I look at the music folder on the a500 using my computer the albums and songs show up. I can find the music on my computer with the clear fi app but when i click on a song to listen to it clear fi says it dosent support the file. Every thing I have has been downloaded to windows media player.