[Q] Anyone used both EVO LTE and Galaxy S III ?

Search This thread

merkk

Oct 5, 2009
Lansing, mi
Hello all,

Apologies if this is not the right forum to post this question, but it seems like the most appropriate one.

I was just wondering if anyone here has used both the htc evo 4g lte and the samsung galaxy s iii ? I'm going to be upgrading my current phone (evo 4g) in a few weeks and I'm trying to decide which phone to go with. I'm leaning towards the evo. I like that it supports encryption and google wallet. But I like that the galaxy has a (slightly) bigger screen.

So I'm just curious if anyone here has been able to do a side by side comparison of the two. Any problems or pluses with either of them when compared to each other?

Brad55555

Feb 14, 2011
Well the Evo has sense 4.0 which i truly love.I am a huge fan of sense and I strongly recommend it.Both devices feature the same processor so the speed is similar between the two.I also must admit that samsung did a good job with touchwiz 5.0 it is also very fluid and fast.But in the end it all comes to your preference although I strongly recommend the evo regardless of the unremovable battery.

Reactions: merkk

merkk

Oct 5, 2009
Lansing, mi
The evo lte has an un-removable battery? I really dislike that. Although to be fair I don't think I've had a cell phone battery go dead before I wind up getting a new phone.

I'm leaning towards the evo since I also like sense. And I like that the evo has google wallet and supports encryption. I just haven't used a samsung phone before so not sure what their interface is like, or if there's a big enough difference in the screens to take that into consideration when deciding between the two.

dalex7777

Feb 4, 2010
Houston
The evo lte has an un-removable battery? I really dislike that. Although to be fair I don't think I've had a cell phone battery go dead before I wind up getting a new phone.

I'm leaning towards the evo since I also like sense. And I like that the evo has google wallet and supports encryption. I just haven't used a samsung phone before so not sure what their interface is like, or if there's a big enough difference in the screens to take that into consideration when deciding between the two.

I've owned both the EVO and the first gen EPIC since they around the time they came out. I've also used both the Samsung Galaxy S III (briefly played with a Sprint demo) and own the EVO LTE and bought my fiancee the Nexus S 4G about a year ago which I've also used quite a bit. There is no noticeable screen size between the EVO and the SGS III. That one/tenth of an inch is not noticeable IMO. Also for once HTC has trumped Samsung on screen technology in the same generation: the SLCD-2 screen blows the HD Super Amoled PenTile screen away in everything except the deepness of blacks. Depending on what you spend your time looking at this may make a difference to you or not.

Also there is really not a lot of performance difference right now between the SGSIII and the EVO. I don't think current Android architecture knows what to do with that extra gig of RAM. At the moment, the One X and EVO are still beating the SGSIII with the Qualcomm S4 in all of the benchmarks I've seen. Here is the most thorough one: http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/20/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-review-shootout-atandt-vs-sprint/

Since you are asking for an opinion, I will put it this way: Samsungs are like suped-up rally cars (think Subaru WRX or Mitsubushi EVO). They have every feature under the sun, but would you really want to drive your boss to lunch in one? On the other hand, an HTC is like an Audi--performance plus refinement. If you have already gotten used to Sense on your EVO then the way things are done on the new EVO will just make more sense (pardon the pun).

One Example: HTC changes the ICS standard interface on Settings so that unlike most ICS phones (including Nexus and Samsung) the menu has a white background with black text. Well, that's not the way Google did it. However, when you are in direct sunlight outside, even with your sunglasses on, you can make out the display and adjust the brightness up or turn on autobrightness. With Samsung, the Nexus or any other ICS phone that is hewing more closely to Google's design standard, your screen will just be a big washed out mess.

That is the kind of thought that HTC puts into their devices.

For an EVO user, that has not had an upgrade since the OG EVO 4G, the new EVO will be a whole other world for you. The biggest difference is over 2GB of usable storage for apps and 9GB for data (of 16GB total).

However, make sure you test for your wifi connectivity where you use it most thoroughly. I did get one of those devices that seems to drop Wifi randomly and need to swap it out. After that, I am also going to root and probably run the Charmeleon rom with the storage swap--I am a packrat and even the 9GB of onboard storage is not giving me enough elbow room. However there is a mod to swap your external_sd card for the internal one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1713737

That would make my 64GB SanDisk my primary storage, and once LTE get's lit in Houston next week, that should be just about perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: merkk

merkk

Oct 5, 2009
Lansing, mi
I actually do really like Audi's and would pick one over the WRX - although i've test driven the WRX when it first came out and it is a fun car also :)

I'm going to order the EVO LTE tomorrow - hopefully I wont run into too many problems when i try to keep my sero plan.

Reactions: dalex7777

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well the Evo has sense 4.0 which i truly love.I am a huge fan of sense and I strongly recommend it.Both devices feature the same processor so the speed is similar between the two.I also must admit that samsung did a good job with touchwiz 5.0 it is also very fluid and fast.But in the end it all comes to your preference although I strongly recommend the evo regardless of the unremovable battery.

I've owned both the EVO and the first gen EPIC since they around the time they came out. I've also used both the Samsung Galaxy S III (briefly played with a Sprint demo) and own the EVO LTE and bought my fiancee the Nexus S 4G about a year ago which I've also used quite a bit. There is no noticeable screen size between the EVO and the SGS III. That one/tenth of an inch is not noticeable IMO. Also for once HTC has trumped Samsung on screen technology in the same generation: the SLCD-2 screen blows the HD Super Amoled PenTile screen away in everything except the deepness of blacks. Depending on what you spend your time looking at this may make a difference to you or not.

Also there is really not a lot of performance difference right now between the SGSIII and the EVO. I don't think current Android architecture knows what to do with that extra gig of RAM. At the moment, the One X and EVO are still beating the SGSIII with the Qualcomm S4 in all of the benchmarks I've seen. Here is the most thorough one: http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/20/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-review-shootout-atandt-vs-sprint/

Since you are asking for an opinion, I will put it this way: Samsungs are like suped-up rally cars (think Subaru WRX or Mitsubushi EVO). They have every feature under the sun, but would you really want to drive your boss to lunch in one? On the other hand, an HTC is like an Audi--performance plus refinement. If you have already gotten used to Sense on your EVO then the way things are done on the new EVO will just make more sense (pardon the pun).

One Example: HTC changes the ICS standard interface on Settings so that unlike most ICS phones (including Nexus and Samsung) the menu has a white background with black text. Well, that's not the way Google did it. However, when you are in direct sunlight outside, even with your sunglasses on, you can make out the display and adjust the brightness up or turn on autobrightness. With Samsung, the Nexus or any other ICS phone that is hewing more closely to Google's design standard, your screen will just be a big washed out mess.

That is the kind of thought that HTC puts into their devices.

For an EVO user, that has not had an upgrade since the OG EVO 4G, the new EVO will be a whole other world for you. The biggest difference is over 2GB of usable storage for apps and 9GB for data (of 16GB total).

However, make sure you test for your wifi connectivity where you use it most thoroughly. I did get one of those devices that seems to drop Wifi randomly and need to swap it out. After that, I am also going to root and probably run the Charmeleon rom with the storage swap--I am a packrat and even the 9GB of onboard storage is not giving me enough elbow room. However there is a mod to swap your external_sd card for the internal one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1713737

That would make my 64GB SanDisk my primary storage, and once LTE get's lit in Houston next week, that should be just about perfect.
    I actually do really like Audi's and would pick one over the WRX - although i've test driven the WRX when it first came out and it is a fun car also :)

I'm going to order the EVO LTE tomorrow - hopefully I wont run into too many problems when i try to keep my sero plan.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone