• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Q] App that mirrors the screen to use it as a HUD

Search This thread

Phexi

Sep 17, 2007
Hi there. I need an app that mirrors the screen of my android phone to use it as a HUD in my car. I've already found an app that shows the current speed mirrored, but i would like to have it for other apps, too. So that i can use apps like Google Maps Navigation with my front window.

I googled a lot, but i sadly didn't find anything...

willfck4beer

Oct 18, 2007
Don't get me wrong, if the resolution was better, I would agree with you. But the resolution Sucks, Imo. Anyway, I would kick in 20. Maybe more later.

854x480 isn't that horrible - especially in video. 1280x720 would be much better though.
AAXA makes a cheap pico (the p4 iirc) that has 1024x600 resolution and, I believe, it's laser so there's no need to focus.

phil gpx

Dec 30, 2012
I'm currently buying parts in to do something similar.
I currently have a nexus 7 in my double din.
I've added extra 12v sockets hidden away with a relay on the ignition feed as not to drain the battery.
As with my nexus 7 I have a MIFI dongle with its own power source.
My plan for the HUD is;
Using a fibre glass kit from halfords will make a dock that will fit in a wireless charger which in turn is connected to the 12v socket, cut the dash and fit the dock that has enough resess so the phone does not move.

With the help of tasker once the phone is placed on the charging mat the display will go to max, blue tooth will turn on with WIFI, tablet talk will start and so will the app I've downloaded (can't post links or pics yet) app is called Navia HUD which will do speedo and navigation.

Phone calls will be delt with through bluetooth to hands free device and text messages will be done through tablet talk when safe to do so.

I havnt looked yet but a app on my tablet that can control the phone would be great if anyone can recommend? This is to minimse having to reach forward to use the phone, say entering address or something.

Thoughts or advice would be appreciated and hopefully given you guys a few ideas. Phil

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: willfck4beer
Mar 21, 2013
Memphis
I did a quick scan of this thread and didn't see mention of this....

What about using a pair of "stacked" semicircular-ish lenses? Each lens inverts the image in one axis.

Edit: I don't know what I was thinking... or I'm not thinking correctly now...

So the image just needs to be mirrored about a "horizontal axis". Wont a single semicircular lens do what we are wanting to do? I'm thinking some sort of "plate" that you put on top of the device while it's on your dash.

concept illustrated better with an image (as usual):

http://www.flinnsci.com/store/catalogPhotos/AP5660cat.jpg

Of course, this would require a lens tailored to each device and each car, but i'd be willing to purchase a one-off piece if the price were reasonable (assuming the concept is realistic)

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

willfck4beer

Oct 18, 2007
I did a quick scan of this thread and didn't see mention of this....

What about using a pair of "stacked" semicircular-ish lenses? Each lens inverts the image in one axis.

Edit: I don't know what I was thinking... or I'm not thinking correctly now...

So the image just needs to be mirrored about a "horizontal axis". Wont a single semicircular lens do what we are wanting to do? I'm thinking some sort of "plate" that you put on top of the device while it's on your dash.

concept illustrated better with an image (as usual):

http://www.flinnsci.com/store/catalogPhotos/AP5660cat.jpg

Of course, this would require a lens tailored to each device and each car, but i'd be willing to purchase a one-off piece if the price were reasonable (assuming the concept is realistic)

Any thoughts?

Good call; thanks for the contribution. Don't kow why I didn't think of this. Would the focal length matter? Would the distance from dash to windshield matter for ensuring that the mirrored image is in focus when it bounces off the windshield?
This is a great idea and substantially easier, it seems, that software implementation.

So we'd need, a hemi-cylindrical lens, right? to ensure only one dimension is flipped and minimal distortion... ?

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

I'm currently buying parts in to do something similar.
I currently have a nexus 7 in my double din.
I've added extra 12v sockets hidden away with a relay on the ignition feed as not to drain the battery.
As with my nexus 7 I have a MIFI dongle with its own power source.
My plan for the HUD is;
Using a fibre glass kit from halfords will make a dock that will fit in a wireless charger which in turn is connected to the 12v socket, cut the dash and fit the dock that has enough resess so the phone does not move.

With the help of tasker once the phone is placed on the charging mat the display will go to max, blue tooth will turn on with WIFI, tablet talk will start and so will the app I've downloaded (can't post links or pics yet) app is called Navia HUD which will do speedo and navigation.

Phone calls will be delt with through bluetooth to hands free device and text messages will be done through tablet talk when safe to do so.

I havnt looked yet but a app on my tablet that can control the phone would be great if anyone can recommend? This is to minimse having to reach forward to use the phone, say entering address or something.

Thoughts or advice would be appreciated and hopefully given you guys a few ideas. Phil

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I want to see pictures of this - that should be TIGHT!
Thanks for the ideas!

Mar 21, 2013
Memphis
Good call; thanks for the contribution. Don't kow why I didn't think of this. Would the focal length matter? Would the distance from dash to windshield matter for ensuring that the mirrored image is in focus when it bounces off the windshield?
This is a great idea and substantially easier, it seems, that software implementation.

So we'd need, a hemi-cylindrical lens, right? to ensure only one dimension is flipped and minimal distortion... ?

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

I want to see pictures of this - that should be TIGHT!
Thanks for the ideas!

If my mental picture of the situation is correct, then yes, I think a hemispherical lens would do exactly what we want. You're absolutely right though, the major variable is the distance from the phone face (or the lens face) to the windshield. This can vary GREATLY from vehicle to vehicle. Also, with a pure hemispherical lens, you may end up with some distortion due to the curve of the windshield.

Now that I think about it more, if a one-off lens is the best solution, you might as well get something really snazzy -- horizontal inversion and magnification on both x and y axes. turn a 4.3" phone display into a decent "screen" in front of you. This may not be feasible because of the limited light output of these devices, but it's definitely worth a little more research.

Last edited:

willfck4beer

Oct 18, 2007
Wow, i found this topic again, and a lot of time has passed since i asked the question. Sadly there still seems to be no solution :-/

RIGHT!? WTF!? Android pisses me off... need a fully open source linux type operating system where the vendor only integrates components where the drivers are open source and available as well. These niche innovations aren't being catered to by devs - even where people are putting up a bounty, the drivers are locked down, so we can't make incredibly simple changes (like flipping on X axis) in four years!!! WTH - you would think we are in an iphone walled garden. Sorry for the rant - it's just bewildering and frustrating. I didn't think XDA was impotent to solve a problem... just assumed it was like going to the Godfather on his daughter's wedding day. :)

The lens idea is certainly novel (for this forum) and would accomplish the goal, but impractical for something like the NOTE 2 with a 6" screen... imho. The lens would need to be fricking ginormous though it may give additional magnification. Cool idea ... I'll keep investigating too. Please post pics as you experiment. :) I'll try a magnifying glass tonight :) OH ****... can you imagine if you left this arrangment out in the hot summer sun and your phone was melted at the focal point :) haha

mcdull

Feb 15, 2007
Hong Kong
vnc

First thing first, I have no solution yet. But I think I can come up with a better idea on projection.
Having a HUD speedometer is not difficult. Having all app to mirror is tricky.
However, think about the usability, you will need to control the tablet if you really want to have all app to show up as HUD.
ie. it is very inconvenience to touch the screen while it is inverted and flipped under the windshield.

My propose solution is to have the tablet (android pad) be placed at the place of audio receiver (double din? may be).
And wirelessly mirror the screen to another tablet via VNC, I would use an IPAD mini for that.
In such case, all we have to do is to make adjustment to the VNC source code and make it mirror.
This should be a lot easier as the vnc already supporting rotate kind of stuff.

And you can control everything right at the console.

Last edited:

willfck4beer

Oct 18, 2007
First thing first, I have no solution yet. But I think I can come up with a better idea on projection.
Having a HUD speedometer is not difficult. Having all app to mirror is tricky.
However, think about the usability, you will need to control the tablet if you really want to have all app to show up as HUD.
ie. it is very inconvenience to touch the screen while it is inverted and flipped under the windshield.

My propose solution is to have the tablet (android pad) be placed at the place of audio receiver (double din? may be).
And wirelessly mirror the screen to another tablet via VNC, I would use an IPAD mini for that.
In such case, all we have to do is to make adjustment to the VNC source code and make it mirror.
This should be a lot easier as the vnc already supporting rotate kind of stuff.

And you can control everything right at the console.

1) Cool! Mediocre minds think alike. This was my conclusion as well. If we can't directly mirror / fip / rotate / translate android or video drivers... perhaps a VNC / RDP app with flip / mirroring is easier.

2) as to the difficulty to control tablet on dash: I have found voice controls and a bluetooth mouse such as this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-MoGo-Pre...use-/321134976039?pt=Mice&hash=item4ac522dc27
resolve that problem.

3) TWO (2) tablets in your car?!? This is simply badass! Please post pics of setup (including license plate and gps coordinates) I will rob you blind :) JK JK JK but seriously ... if the mini is to be permanently mounted on dashboard during the day time... I'd consider a reflective cover or at least an IR/UV resistive/reflective film on the windshield above it? Hopefully WHITE mini... that sun can do some serious damage I'd imagine. That mini is going to get HOT with wifi and screen on full all the time.

***the easiest solution to this is either use a windows XP tablet or a pico projector connected via mhl / hdmi to your double din tablet.***
pico can bounce off a small mirror and then windshield so orientation will be correct natively.*******

mcdull

Feb 15, 2007
Hong Kong
1) Cool! Mediocre minds think alike. This was my conclusion as well. If we can't directly mirror / fip / rotate / translate android or video drivers... perhaps a VNC / RDP app with flip / mirroring is easier.

2) as to the difficulty to control tablet on dash: I have found voice controls and a bluetooth mouse such as this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-MoGo-Pre...use-/321134976039?pt=Mice&hash=item4ac522dc27
resolve that problem.

3) TWO (2) tablets in your car?!? This is simply badass! Please post pics of setup (including license plate and gps coordinates) I will rob you blind :) JK JK JK but seriously ... if the mini is to be permanently mounted on dashboard during the day time... I'd consider a reflective cover or at least an IR/UV resistive/reflective film on the windshield above it? Hopefully WHITE mini... that sun can do some serious damage I'd imagine. That mini is going to get HOT with wifi and screen on full all the time.

***the easiest solution to this is either use a windows XP tablet or a pico projector connected via mhl / hdmi to your double din tablet.***
pico can bounce off a small mirror and then windshield so orientation will be correct natively.*******

bluetooth mouse is not as good as original pad and even more difficult if the image is not clearly projected.
2 tablet in car, the android nexus 7 should be fixed in car and the ipad mini should be portable and carried with me.
So you just need to start an app and establish connection and place it under windshield and the projection is ready.
When you off the car just pick the mini and go with you.

cbroughton

Oct 23, 2013
Old post I know but I'm fairly new to Android. Anyway here's my idea building on the VNC option.

1) HDMI out of your Android to an HDMI screen like a 7" Liliput field monitor.
2) Either find a screen that gives you the option of flipping the display (the Liliput only seems to flip analog video) or take apart the screen and physically flip the lcd panel and place it back over the backlight.

Didn't say it'd be easy or cheap but I think HDMI out is the way to go if no root software solution is possible. Control does seem like an issue although Google Now's voice commands are getting pretty good.

willfck4beer

Oct 18, 2007
Old post I know but I'm fairly new to Android. Anyway here's my idea building on the VNC option.

1) HDMI out of your Android to an HDMI screen like a 7" Liliput field monitor.
2) Either find a screen that gives you the option of flipping the display (the Liliput only seems to flip analog video) or take apart the screen and physically flip the lcd panel and place it back over the backlight.

Didn't say it'd be easy or cheap but I think HDMI out is the way to go if no root software solution is possible. Control does seem like an issue although Google Now's voice commands are getting pretty good.

Good news bro!
If you are willing to physically flip the LCD panel ... you don't even need VNC involvement at all.
That's a great EFF'ing idea - certainly out of the box but hell yeah! Provided that the housing can accomodate the flipped LCD portion and there are no polarizer issues and no localized LED brightness (this would be reversed).
Simple. HDMI out to the flipped screen and it should work just fine.

That's odd that the liliput only flips analog. Every projector and pico I've ever tried has this option IIRC for all inputs, digi too.
That would seem to be the easiest solution, just find a fieldmonitor that has digital flipping/mirroring.

Alternatively, if we could isolate the HDMI out signal and DSP it to be mirrored that would work too I think.

<vent> Odd isn't it that we can't software flip in an OPEN SOURCE OS. What was the point again, why not MS or Apple? </vent>

Don't ever apologize if you are putting forth suggestions to someone else's problem. You rock. All input is always appreciated. Thank you.

Dec 18, 2008
Charlotte

jhanson

Sep 14, 2007
Thats cool man. I eagerly await the addition of navigation. Btw, off topic question, you have I radar integration so I assume this means you have one? If so, is it worth the money?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yes, I have the cobra iradar irad-100, and I really like it. It's better than a standard radar detector IMO because of the online database. When it's connected to your phone, it is constantly taking your gps location and checking against user reports for last known locations of radar traps. If you get a radar hit it asks you to verify if it is a real trap and if so, it reports it up to their database. I don't really speed, but its still a nice thing to have. I got lucky and found it on a deal site for about 60 bucks and have been very happy with it.

willfck4beer

Oct 18, 2007
Yes, I have the cobra iradar irad-100, and I really like it. It's better than a standard radar detector IMO because of the online database. When it's connected to your phone, it is constantly taking your gps location and checking against user reports for last known locations of radar traps. If you get a radar hit it asks you to verify if it is a real trap and if so, it reports it up to their database. I don't really speed, but its still a nice thing to have. I got lucky and found it on a deal site for about 60 bucks and have been very happy with it.

I bought the iphone iradar on accident... I am lying. I actually bought it knowingly... but it was on sale at Radioshack for like $30 compared to android $80ish.... I figured we'd be able to get it to work (quite naively I guess if we still can't even rotate a screen on an open source os)... have you guys had any luck with the Iphone version?

On a side note; I just used an obd2 to bluetooth gateway to have my note2 talk to ECU with Torque app; and I used the torque liveview plugin (in HUD mode) to mount the liveview on the dash and have a cluster of gauges in HUD. SICK!

Reactions: droidsmith and 1454

Fat Albert

May 18, 2010
It's been done commercially, at least for Froyo

Froyo+Mirror.png

The Seeser is an Android Pico projector using a laser to generate the image, download the user manual from espluskorea dot com, customer, manual & download and search for mirror to see the function

I'm intending to use one to wirelessly replicate (using MirrorOp) the screen of my flight navigation software (XcSoar) as a head up display on the canopy. The main advantage of laser projection is obviating the necessity for focusing the image, even on curved surfaces. The big issue will be image brightness, it's just about impossible to find a more hostile environment given the ambient light level several thousand feet above the ground amongst fair weather cumulus...

willfck4beer

Oct 18, 2007

Froyo+Mirror.png

The Seeser is an Android Pico projector using a laser to generate the image, download the user manual from espluskorea dot com, customer, manual & download and search for mirror to see the function

I'm intending to use one to wirelessly replicate (using MirrorOp) the screen of my flight navigation software (XcSoar) as a head up display on the canopy. The main advantage of laser projection is obviating the necessity for focusing the image, even on curved surfaces. The big issue will be image brightness, it's just about impossible to find a more hostile environment given the ambient light level several thousand feet above the ground amongst fair weather cumulus...

DUDE!!! Good find!!! Thanks!!!! That's soooo cool!!!
Can you upload kernel somewhere?
I'd imagine this would need to be in kernel right? Or am I totally offbase?
Could the portion of code that does this be copied from Fro Yo to KK?
I'll definitely set up some alerts for when they release source for FY and KK.
Anyone have any more input on this? (and/or a way to do it under windows x86?)

I'm so envious of your laser... been so annoying constantly adjusting my optoma pk201. It's hardware rotate was almost enough to get me to install it in the car. I've been investigating thin film fresnel lenses too.

Thanks again for the info!

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Froyo+Mirror.png

This is the M2, right? Gingerbread :) 2.3
Looks sick man; very envious.
I'd be pissed though, for $400 there should be some hdmi connectivity.
Will you connect bluetooth mouse/keyboard for IO?

keliuss

Oct 20, 2012
Wow! This thread is ongoing since 2010. I've just tried out one of the many speedo HUD apps on the play store and thought it was great, but would love to be able to do what the OP @Phexi asked for; mirror/invert/flip/reverse the display (any app) to use as a HUD. This way we could use it for navigation. There are navi apps that offer this now but they are few and have limited options.
Some 2014 searching on the play store reveals some HUD apps but nothing like OP asked about.

I would love to see a simple app/toggle to invert the display. Can't believe nobody (devs) has done it yet.

Regards

Keliuss

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there. I need an app that mirrors the screen of my android phone to use it as a HUD in my car. I've already found an app that shows the current speed mirrored, but i would like to have it for other apps, too. So that i can use apps like Google Maps Navigation with my front window.

I googled a lot, but i sadly didn't find anything...
    i have been working with custom apps development for work, and I think (I HAVE VERY LIMITED KNOWLEDGE DONT QUOTE ME AS AN EXPERT OR CODER) you are right, this should be a one-button widget/one-option setting under 'settings' of a ROM, not an APP, that simply reverses display on the Y - axis (hell, option for x-axis too, don't know if vertical or landscape display wanted/needed, especially with tablets), reverses control functions, and control locations. (ESPECIALLY ICS controls)

My understanding of coding for this, you can't have an app that would effect the output of another app, the only 'system wide' apps, like 'Screen Filter' for example, can control a system-wide "overlay" but not change the actual output of display options.

I am only posting this because we had the same issue come up with something hella specific we were working on, an education in-house app, needed a left-hand and right-hand version, and at first were thinking some kind of library call to either mirror or flip just a specific layer of display within the app, but it turned out it was much much much much easier to just recode a 2nd location for the controls and set it under options within the app to choose which one to use, the 'mirroring' i think proved to be impossible without a custom rom, which most of us would've been ok with but can't add new people or expect to have enterprise control of the app if it was a rom change. See, if you mirror the display, the touch controls work opposite their button location. If you mirror the control buttons as well, the functionality of Left Right becomes reversed too, essentially breaking the app. (think of the old helicopter game controls, only left right instead of up down)

but, not only for HUD, but for left-hand/right hand, disability access, and other various uses, a ROM-wide setting to control reversing the display of both controls layer and app-display layer would be most excellent for custom roms and eventually the Android core code as well (Here is the problem everyone in this thread is ignoring, if the display output is simply reversed, your touch controls, especially for ICS system buttons, functionality would be broken, controls in the dead center would work backwards and controls on the left or right side of axis would still work on the opposite side of where the display shows the button to be, and this would, for the common user, essentially break functionality of the phone itself) --- Am I making sense? someone who is a better developer should be able to rephrase what i'm saying in a better way.

But the app controls would also need to be reversed, and I don't think that can be done via an app, at least not to control the behavior of other apps. An overlay wouldn't work, even if it was a mirrored output of display over a blank overlay of the original display output, because control options can't be manipulated by an additional app for the app you are actively using.

But i agree, this should be easy enough to do for CM10 and other custom roms.

I would just suggest you separate the two within settings, so there is an option to reverse controls only (for left handed, disabled, special situations, etc -- which should really be included in Android core itself) for accessibility, let apps call on the control layout option so can just code once and have it reverse A) location, for handedness, B)functionality, for special use, options, and HUD, and then C) also reverse display, for either HUD or Mirrored projection/video output/special uses. So, if I understand the android programming correctly, you just need to include 3 separate reverse-output libraries for app programmers to call, which could also just be set system-wide within options, they are 1)reverse touchscreen control location based on a flip of y-axis or x-axis in landscape, 2)reverse touchscreen control functionality based on the gyroscope-detected axis, and 3) reverse the display rendering output along the axis, also gyroscope-detected.

I guess I would suggest begging CM folks to incorporate this, and once its in use with enough people out there, maybe by the time Android is at Sweetbread or Truffles it will be incorporated into the main libraries. Either that or a group of disabled and left-handed folks (NOT IMPLYING THE SAME THING BETWEEN THE TWO GROUPS PEOPLE, I HAPPEN TO BE LEFT HANDED MYSELF) sue google class action to include these in the programming libraries under the disabilities act violations for accessibility.

----

of course, if someone else knows a much, much easier way to do this with just a standalone app, please speak up!!!!!!!
    I think 5 is enough. Any of these float your boat? (those all *should* have mirrored "HUD" settings so when laid on your dash under your windshield you get the effect of the BMW HUD above. I haven't tried any of them personally, though.)

He isn't looking for a speedometer, he wants to mirror his screen for all apps, so that way he can use the maps app or the navigation app or any other app of his choosing and see it on his windshield. Before you go off on your next pissy fit, read carefully.
    not that I've found. you'd think mirroring the display on the y axis would be simple. I'll make it of I ever learn java/linux/android programming
    i bet it wont be that hard to make......if no one can find one, i bet i can make one....