• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] App that mirrors the screen to use it as a HUD

Search This thread

Phexi

Sep 17, 2007
Hi there. I need an app that mirrors the screen of my android phone to use it as a HUD in my car. I've already found an app that shows the current speed mirrored, but i would like to have it for other apps, too. So that i can use apps like Google Maps Navigation with my front window.

I googled a lot, but i sadly didn't find anything...

Dec 18, 2008
Charlotte
Wow! This thread is ongoing since 2010. I've just tried out one of the many speedo HUD apps on the play store and thought it was great, but would love to be able to do what the OP @Phexi asked for; mirror/invert/flip/reverse the display (any app) to use as a HUD. This way we could use it for navigation. There are navi apps that offer this now but they are few and have limited options.
Some 2014 searching on the play store reveals some HUD apps but nothing like OP asked about.

I would love to see a simple app/toggle to invert the display. Can't believe nobody (devs) has done it yet.

Regards

Keliuss

Did you try Hansons app? It helps greatly in that regard. It doesn't mirror the map itself, but it does show you distance and turning direction.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mega_bite

Apr 3, 2007
Still would like the mirror option for all apps.

Navier does it well enough as a stop-gap. The problem with Navier is it uses cell network for map data, not good if you have a data limit, or outside of network coverage.

:jhanson : signing up for your thread. Like the first looks so far.

groveborn

Feb 19, 2011
Still would like the mirror option for all apps.

Navier does it well enough as a stop-gap. The problem with Navier is it uses cell network for map data, not good if you have a data limit, or outside of network coverage.

:jhanson : signing up for your thread. Like the first looks so far.

I mostly want to mirror my texting apps. Wha? Texting while driving is dangerous, right? Well, what if you don't have to take your eyes off the road to read them? With a bluetooth headset you can even reply...then again, I'm betting you could just use voice commands to activate all that somehow.

I figure there's a market for this.

Reactions: 1454

JaimeZX

Dec 3, 2011
I can't believe this thread has been going for FOUR YEARS and nobody has come up with a way to simply flip the screeen.

The closest we've come is Fat Albert's post. I tried to learn programming a couple of times but beyond simple Basic and FORTRAN I'm pretty useless. I would also be willing to throw in a few bucks if this were a paid app.

wanb1i

Aug 17, 2010
Charlottesville, VA Area
I can't believe this thread has been going for FOUR YEARS and nobody has come up with a way to simply flip the screeen.

The closest we've come is Fat Albert's post. I tried to learn programming a couple of times but beyond simple Basic and FORTRAN I'm pretty useless. I would also be willing to throw in a few bucks if this were a paid app.

I agree, I would be willing to support this as well.:cool:

How about one of those competitions to get some interest going. This would be a great feature that would improve the safety of device use in cars!

Kingofsix

Aug 26, 2014
Hay you know all the app needs to do is invert the display once the device is on the dash you don't need to touch it And should not be poking it while driving!

So...surely there is a way to just capture the current display and invert it then render it within the app....?
:cowboy:

oXydead

Jul 24, 2007
Xanthi
And here i thought i was going to be the 1st with this idea.... (Was traveling with car at night and i caught a glimpse of my phone on my windshield...)

Well, happy to see that it's already a request from many people.

So can this (flip entire phone display ( and revert back to normal with a single tap)) can happen?

reloadxero

Jul 6, 2009
Wien
There is already an navigation app that has this feature built in. I cant remember which one but it has to be either sygic, navigon or tomtom. Upon activating hud mode phone mirrors the screen horizontically and displays simple route and easy to recognize big font speed info. I'll look it up and get back to you

sent from Z3 Compact

ctzn1

Apr 26, 2015
even though android is open source, allowing modifications to be made to what us displayed is a huge security risk so they probably locked it down.
If we are able to flip the x-axis coörds then any hacker can mitm your mobile banking apps.
Https an ssl encryption won't protect you against that.

But i also want to be able to mirror over the X axis.
I searched for xposed modules and kernels that can do this but i found none.
when i get to my laptop i will investigate the possibility of making an app that does this.

sosodemi

Dec 9, 2011
someware
+1 looking forward to see this happen "display flipping"
Than it would be possible to use any navigation app with the display projection on the windscreen.

If it (the hud apk) would be gyroscope sensitive than, when the user would pick up the phone of the dashboard, the screen would offer a possibility tof turn it on/off.

ctzn1

Apr 26, 2015
+1 looking forward to see this happen "display flipping"
Than it would be possible to use any navigation app with the display projection on the windscreen.

If it (the hud apk) would be gyroscope sensitive than, when the user would pick up the phone of the dashboard, the screen would offer a possibility tof turn it on/off.

I don't think that that gyroscope thing will work, if you drive over a curved bridge then your screen will turn off.
I'm running into enough trouble with basic functions.

enderffx

Sep 16, 2011
Guys, its only a small step away for cyanogen mod users (at least for some).
I am running "Native SBS" for Android:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/117807409036006925326

This little app takes the screen contents and doubles it.
While this is not what you guys look for it still does 99% of the trick: It can take the screem and process it in realtime.
Source code is there (i built the apk myself).
Its just a few lines of code to make it mirror the screen instead of scaling it down and doubling it.
Of course if you browse the comments it only works on Cyanogen Mod phones and only some of those.
It runs fine & fast on my Oneplus One.

Greetings,

Ender

P.S. key is if the developer releases the code of his "workhorse" lib surfaceflinnger or if he is willing to modify it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cardellos

DanLynch

Oct 13, 2008

Yeah, done other than the fact that Hudway doesn't even vaguely address the screen flipping issue which is the only part of this discussion that hasn't already been solved 12 ways.

Nobody cares about one more app with a screen flip mode for that app and nobody needs one more example of a screen film or a plastic reflector. I can link a dozen examples for each of those. Most of the people on this thread want to flip the entire screen so you can use whatever nav app you want.

Dan

Reactions: keliuss

working man

Aug 8, 2007
Yeah, done other than the fact that Hudway doesn't even vaguely address the screen flipping issue which is the only part of this discussion that hasn't already been solved 12 ways.

Nobody cares about one more app with a screen flip mode for that app and nobody needs one more example of a screen film or a plastic reflector. I can link a dozen examples for each of those. Most of the people on this thread want to flip the entire screen so you can use whatever nav app you want.

Dan
Another one that would pay for that right here!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there. I need an app that mirrors the screen of my android phone to use it as a HUD in my car. I've already found an app that shows the current speed mirrored, but i would like to have it for other apps, too. So that i can use apps like Google Maps Navigation with my front window.

I googled a lot, but i sadly didn't find anything...
    i have been working with custom apps development for work, and I think (I HAVE VERY LIMITED KNOWLEDGE DONT QUOTE ME AS AN EXPERT OR CODER) you are right, this should be a one-button widget/one-option setting under 'settings' of a ROM, not an APP, that simply reverses display on the Y - axis (hell, option for x-axis too, don't know if vertical or landscape display wanted/needed, especially with tablets), reverses control functions, and control locations. (ESPECIALLY ICS controls)

My understanding of coding for this, you can't have an app that would effect the output of another app, the only 'system wide' apps, like 'Screen Filter' for example, can control a system-wide "overlay" but not change the actual output of display options.

I am only posting this because we had the same issue come up with something hella specific we were working on, an education in-house app, needed a left-hand and right-hand version, and at first were thinking some kind of library call to either mirror or flip just a specific layer of display within the app, but it turned out it was much much much much easier to just recode a 2nd location for the controls and set it under options within the app to choose which one to use, the 'mirroring' i think proved to be impossible without a custom rom, which most of us would've been ok with but can't add new people or expect to have enterprise control of the app if it was a rom change. See, if you mirror the display, the touch controls work opposite their button location. If you mirror the control buttons as well, the functionality of Left Right becomes reversed too, essentially breaking the app. (think of the old helicopter game controls, only left right instead of up down)

but, not only for HUD, but for left-hand/right hand, disability access, and other various uses, a ROM-wide setting to control reversing the display of both controls layer and app-display layer would be most excellent for custom roms and eventually the Android core code as well (Here is the problem everyone in this thread is ignoring, if the display output is simply reversed, your touch controls, especially for ICS system buttons, functionality would be broken, controls in the dead center would work backwards and controls on the left or right side of axis would still work on the opposite side of where the display shows the button to be, and this would, for the common user, essentially break functionality of the phone itself) --- Am I making sense? someone who is a better developer should be able to rephrase what i'm saying in a better way.

But the app controls would also need to be reversed, and I don't think that can be done via an app, at least not to control the behavior of other apps. An overlay wouldn't work, even if it was a mirrored output of display over a blank overlay of the original display output, because control options can't be manipulated by an additional app for the app you are actively using.

But i agree, this should be easy enough to do for CM10 and other custom roms.

I would just suggest you separate the two within settings, so there is an option to reverse controls only (for left handed, disabled, special situations, etc -- which should really be included in Android core itself) for accessibility, let apps call on the control layout option so can just code once and have it reverse A) location, for handedness, B)functionality, for special use, options, and HUD, and then C) also reverse display, for either HUD or Mirrored projection/video output/special uses. So, if I understand the android programming correctly, you just need to include 3 separate reverse-output libraries for app programmers to call, which could also just be set system-wide within options, they are 1)reverse touchscreen control location based on a flip of y-axis or x-axis in landscape, 2)reverse touchscreen control functionality based on the gyroscope-detected axis, and 3) reverse the display rendering output along the axis, also gyroscope-detected.

I guess I would suggest begging CM folks to incorporate this, and once its in use with enough people out there, maybe by the time Android is at Sweetbread or Truffles it will be incorporated into the main libraries. Either that or a group of disabled and left-handed folks (NOT IMPLYING THE SAME THING BETWEEN THE TWO GROUPS PEOPLE, I HAPPEN TO BE LEFT HANDED MYSELF) sue google class action to include these in the programming libraries under the disabilities act violations for accessibility.

----

of course, if someone else knows a much, much easier way to do this with just a standalone app, please speak up!!!!!!!
    not that I've found. you'd think mirroring the display on the y axis would be simple. I'll make it of I ever learn java/linux/android programming
    I think 5 is enough. Any of these float your boat? (those all *should* have mirrored "HUD" settings so when laid on your dash under your windshield you get the effect of the BMW HUD above. I haven't tried any of them personally, though.)

He isn't looking for a speedometer, he wants to mirror his screen for all apps, so that way he can use the maps app or the navigation app or any other app of his choosing and see it on his windshield. Before you go off on your next pissy fit, read carefully.
    Do it physically. Make a holder that will let your phone sit upright with a mirror in front of it angled 45 degrees. Now the windshield will show the mirror image of the mirror; ie. not backward / upside down...

Of course it would be tough to actually USE the phone... maybe voice commands? :)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk