• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] App that mirrors the screen to use it as a HUD

Search This thread

Phexi

Sep 17, 2007
Hi there. I need an app that mirrors the screen of my android phone to use it as a HUD in my car. I've already found an app that shows the current speed mirrored, but i would like to have it for other apps, too. So that i can use apps like Google Maps Navigation with my front window.

I googled a lot, but i sadly didn't find anything...

kennethbrown

Jan 17, 2017
I also have been looking for a 'display-mirroring' app to be able to reflect my Samsung S5 display off the windscreen when I use satnav - I am amazed no-one has done this, especially the manufacturers of tablet-based satnavs.
I think you would make a lot of £££'s - Give it a try :)
BTW my email is [email protected] - gimme a shout if you achieve this and maybe I can help with marketing!
Ken Brown

sumerboard

May 11, 2008
Here's a thought guys, why can't we setup the Android with something like a VNC server and VNC client and connect to itself with the VNC and have it rotate or mirror the screen. Then once you connect you hit the button to show all your open apps (in a mirrored POV) then once it's open you set it on the dashboard and there's a HUD reflected with the correct mirror.

This doesn't seem to hard to me however sitting here 10 beers deep wanting it for Waze on my droid as a HUD on the truck windshield in a friends truck isn't the time to do anything more than throw this idea out. I love a challenge! Someone tell me I'm right or at least onto something that could work without development.

Reactions: willfck4beer

dovigz

Feb 9, 2017
another idea

I was thinking maybe take a phone rotation app and edit it to reverse mirror flip or something of the sort. Also if there is a way i have an extra phone that i don't mind reversing the screen indefinitely.

Aryan Hans

Jan 31, 2017
http://www.appbrain.com/app/speed/com.theswirlingbrain.speed

http://www.appbrain.com/app/cgspeed/cg.android.speed2

http://www.appbrain.com/app/hudy-lite/com.hudy

http://www.appbrain.com/app/gpspeedo/org.homelinux.pwarren.gpspeedo

http://www.appbrain.com/app/androhud/net.davidtanzer.androhud

I think 5 is enough. Any of these float your boat? (those all *should* have mirrored "HUD" settings so when laid on your dash under your windshield you get the effect of the BMW HUD above. I haven't tried any of them personally, though.)

I need an app that mirrors my whole phone and not just the maps and navigation like in HUD. please help me.

willfck4beer

Oct 18, 2007
Just place a small mirror flat under the windsheild where you would normally place your phone. Just in front of that mount one of those angled clear acrylic buisness card or photo holders from office supply store. Then when you place your phone (facing away from you) against it the image will get corrected before displaying on windsheild. If the acrylic isnt quite the right angle just use a lighter to heat it just enough to bend to the desired angle and it will harden again when cool. Someone may have already suggested this. I dont feel like reading back that far.
WICKED!!!! Hell yeah! I was just about to ask if anyone had developed a simpler solution. This is brilliant.
Thank you:)

Aryan Hans

Jan 31, 2017
Need apps not ideas

I am asking for a app that mirrors down my complete phone, I am not asking it for HUD navigation. I am making something like a HOLOLENS, if u haven't yet heard of what a Hololens is then Google it. The one I am making uses HUD principle, I don't need navigation, I need complete phone mirroring.
PLEASE HELP, my email- [email protected]
THANKS

Qwertyloops

Oct 9, 2013
Wow, I don't think I've seen such a long and old thread with no solution to such a (seemingly) simple problem.
7 year old thread with updates as recent as today, still with no solution hahaha. I checked this thread 5 years ago when I ran into this problem, didn't find a solution, ran into it again now for the sake of using my screen as an HUD, and seems like I'll still be in the same rut.

Is it really that impossible to flip an android screen? that's a shame.

fleamage

Jan 12, 2011
Wow, I don't think I've seen such a long and old thread with no solution to such a (seemingly) simple problem.
7 year old thread with updates as recent as today, still with no solution hahaha. I checked this thread 5 years ago when I ran into this problem, didn't find a solution, ran into it again now for the sake of using my screen as an HUD, and seems like I'll still be in the same rut.

Is it really that impossible to flip an android screen? that's a shame.

I'm in a similar situation. My feeling is the same of yours: 5 years with a simple problem with no solution (The problem is simple, the solution maybe not). I guess the problem is not hard at all, I've seen lot of harder problems being solved with creative solutions along many years I have Android phones, developers and hackers (white hats) probably are capable of developing a nice solution, but I think they don't want. Maybe they don't see too much need to do this, it can be a large effort to do something that just few of us will use...
I also think that we are doing a rat race here, we are not draging the "bigger ones" attention. If we really need that feature, we must use the provided methods (like asking for that feature in a kernel development, or by kickstarting a new development) but it must be justified by some useful need.
Thats just my opinion... I don't need that feature anymore (In this years I've changed my cellphone and car already) but I'll be glad if all those people who still want it could get it.

Best regards and good luck!

Reactions: Qwertyloops

moldyfox

Mar 10, 2017
Just watched a video on someone using an app on a jail broken Iphone that is what you guys all wanted. Sad thing is it's not for android... At least there is someone out there that already has it coded. Cydia tweak hud. Look it up on YouTube...

willfck4beer

Oct 18, 2007
Just watched a video on someone using an app on a jail broken Iphone that is what you guys all wanted. Sad thing is it's not for android... At least there is someone out there that already has it coded. Cydia tweak hud. Look it up on YouTube...

Good fxxxking find!!! Ashamed that 10 years of Android's OPEN-SOURCE and we still can't accomplish what Iphone has.
Anyone happen to know if jailbroken iphone will work with @Mycestro (or one of the cheap clone) bluetooth finger mice? (without a separate bluetooth dongle?)

fleamage

Jan 12, 2011
I was googling to find some solution and this came up. Actually this is not a solution to your problems but it looks promising. Atleast this will work.

http://www.androidtablets.net/threads/issue-with-screen-mirrored-and-upside-down-on-a-7036-4.51401/

Hi thomamvt,

I'm sorry if I didn't get you, but it seems that the mentioned problem (in the post you have linked) is about a guy who have a tablet with a hardware problem that makes its entire screen goes flipped. Are you mentioning that this is possible so we should look for a solution by digging that issue? If that's what you saying, I don't think that it could work, because that problem seems to be a hardware failure, and to solve the problem that user will have to replace the tablet with a new one (warranty).
If you have any ideas, please, share with us.

Best regards!

thomamvt

Dec 14, 2011
Hi thomamvt,

I'm sorry if I didn't get you, but it seems that the mentioned problem (in the post you have linked) is about a guy who have a tablet with a hardware problem that makes its entire screen goes flipped. Are you mentioning that this is possible so we should look for a solution by digging that issue? If that's what you saying, I don't think that it could work, because that problem seems to be a hardware failure, and to solve the problem that user will have to replace the tablet with a new one (warranty).
If you have any ideas, please, share with us.

Best regards!

Hi
Sorry, it didnt help. . But i have seen during the search that 2-3 people having issues with the screen being mirrored after flashing a new ROM (mostly with LG tablets, i missed those links, i will try to find it). I think it could be a bug in the display configuration that is causing the flip, if we can emulate that in anyway i think it can be possible. I am also searching for a solution as i have my windshield hud film bought from aliexpress is laying useless as i cannot use google maps in HUD mode.

nikosbocho

Jan 3, 2013
I am working on a solution that allows you to get a readable reflection of the phone on the windshield. You can use a special film on the windshield (50% reflective - 50% see through) to improve the quality of the image (eliminate ghost image). I have made a working prototype, the solution is simple, compact and doesn't require one to hack the phone. Using it in HUD mode works great at night and also on a cloudy or overcast day but it doesn't work on sunny conditions. On a sunny day one would use it as a regular phone mount on the dashboard. Is there real interest from this community for such a product?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there. I need an app that mirrors the screen of my android phone to use it as a HUD in my car. I've already found an app that shows the current speed mirrored, but i would like to have it for other apps, too. So that i can use apps like Google Maps Navigation with my front window.

I googled a lot, but i sadly didn't find anything...
    i have been working with custom apps development for work, and I think (I HAVE VERY LIMITED KNOWLEDGE DONT QUOTE ME AS AN EXPERT OR CODER) you are right, this should be a one-button widget/one-option setting under 'settings' of a ROM, not an APP, that simply reverses display on the Y - axis (hell, option for x-axis too, don't know if vertical or landscape display wanted/needed, especially with tablets), reverses control functions, and control locations. (ESPECIALLY ICS controls)

My understanding of coding for this, you can't have an app that would effect the output of another app, the only 'system wide' apps, like 'Screen Filter' for example, can control a system-wide "overlay" but not change the actual output of display options.

I am only posting this because we had the same issue come up with something hella specific we were working on, an education in-house app, needed a left-hand and right-hand version, and at first were thinking some kind of library call to either mirror or flip just a specific layer of display within the app, but it turned out it was much much much much easier to just recode a 2nd location for the controls and set it under options within the app to choose which one to use, the 'mirroring' i think proved to be impossible without a custom rom, which most of us would've been ok with but can't add new people or expect to have enterprise control of the app if it was a rom change. See, if you mirror the display, the touch controls work opposite their button location. If you mirror the control buttons as well, the functionality of Left Right becomes reversed too, essentially breaking the app. (think of the old helicopter game controls, only left right instead of up down)

but, not only for HUD, but for left-hand/right hand, disability access, and other various uses, a ROM-wide setting to control reversing the display of both controls layer and app-display layer would be most excellent for custom roms and eventually the Android core code as well (Here is the problem everyone in this thread is ignoring, if the display output is simply reversed, your touch controls, especially for ICS system buttons, functionality would be broken, controls in the dead center would work backwards and controls on the left or right side of axis would still work on the opposite side of where the display shows the button to be, and this would, for the common user, essentially break functionality of the phone itself) --- Am I making sense? someone who is a better developer should be able to rephrase what i'm saying in a better way.

But the app controls would also need to be reversed, and I don't think that can be done via an app, at least not to control the behavior of other apps. An overlay wouldn't work, even if it was a mirrored output of display over a blank overlay of the original display output, because control options can't be manipulated by an additional app for the app you are actively using.

But i agree, this should be easy enough to do for CM10 and other custom roms.

I would just suggest you separate the two within settings, so there is an option to reverse controls only (for left handed, disabled, special situations, etc -- which should really be included in Android core itself) for accessibility, let apps call on the control layout option so can just code once and have it reverse A) location, for handedness, B)functionality, for special use, options, and HUD, and then C) also reverse display, for either HUD or Mirrored projection/video output/special uses. So, if I understand the android programming correctly, you just need to include 3 separate reverse-output libraries for app programmers to call, which could also just be set system-wide within options, they are 1)reverse touchscreen control location based on a flip of y-axis or x-axis in landscape, 2)reverse touchscreen control functionality based on the gyroscope-detected axis, and 3) reverse the display rendering output along the axis, also gyroscope-detected.

I guess I would suggest begging CM folks to incorporate this, and once its in use with enough people out there, maybe by the time Android is at Sweetbread or Truffles it will be incorporated into the main libraries. Either that or a group of disabled and left-handed folks (NOT IMPLYING THE SAME THING BETWEEN THE TWO GROUPS PEOPLE, I HAPPEN TO BE LEFT HANDED MYSELF) sue google class action to include these in the programming libraries under the disabilities act violations for accessibility.

----

of course, if someone else knows a much, much easier way to do this with just a standalone app, please speak up!!!!!!!
    not that I've found. you'd think mirroring the display on the y axis would be simple. I'll make it of I ever learn java/linux/android programming
    I think 5 is enough. Any of these float your boat? (those all *should* have mirrored "HUD" settings so when laid on your dash under your windshield you get the effect of the BMW HUD above. I haven't tried any of them personally, though.)

He isn't looking for a speedometer, he wants to mirror his screen for all apps, so that way he can use the maps app or the navigation app or any other app of his choosing and see it on his windshield. Before you go off on your next pissy fit, read carefully.
    Do it physically. Make a holder that will let your phone sit upright with a mirror in front of it angled 45 degrees. Now the windshield will show the mirror image of the mirror; ie. not backward / upside down...

Of course it would be tough to actually USE the phone... maybe voice commands? :)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk